Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My '13 TDI Jetta (golf) wagon was definitely from Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

Bumming Your Scene posted:

"US-Spec" :reject:

I wonder how the previous R sold when it was dicked down so much from the Euro spec

Well according to this, it was the 8th worst selling car of 2013, at 1,598 units sold.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Minus the plethora of rattles anyway.

45k on poo poo roads. No rattles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

According to this WSJ chart, VW was down 6.9% from last year at 407k vehicles (367k total cars). It's about the same volume Kia and Mercedes individually do.

Being down that much when almost every other car maker is up by the same amount or more is bad.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The MK6 Golf/GTI was still made in Germany and comparatively high quality.

Count me among the happy Mk6 GTI owners. It really does offer the perfect balance between practicality, sportiness, and comfort. At least for me, deciding between it and the other sports hatchbacks on the market was a no-brainer.

I get the impression that VW's reputation is falling even among non-enthusiasts. My dad is looking to replace his old 1999 Passat and asked me if the quality tumors about the new model were true.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not common for large cars like the Passat, lots of small cars like the Focus, Fiesta, Fit, Fiant 500 have it.

I didn't mean manual transmissions, I mean 5 speeds in them. All most of those you listed have six gears, VW shoving a 5-speed in this 'sport' Jetta Passat feels like they are using leftover parts from somewhere.

VV My mistake, but still. That's a base cheap car ala Versa.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 10, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KakerMix posted:

I didn't mean manual transmissions, I mean 5 speeds in them. All those you listed have six gears, VW shoving a 5-speed in this 'sport' Jetta feels like they are using leftover parts from somewhere.

The base Fiesta has a 5-speed manual, you pay extra for a 6-speed, either the dual-clutch on standard models or a traditional stick on the ST.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

HairyNipple! posted:

Well according to this, it was the 8th worst selling car of 2013, at 1,598 units sold.

Dang, they only brought in 5,000 in 2012 and only sold 3,600 of those

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There isn't necessarily something wrong with a 5 speed vs. a 6 speed. In the culture of more is better though it can certainly be more appealing. I think the NC Miata's 5 speed actually had a lower ratio in the top gear than the 6 speed did, so it really depends on the gearing and the application.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bovril Delight posted:

There isn't necessarily something wrong with a 5 speed vs. a 6 speed. In the culture of more is better though it can certainly be more appealing. I think the NC Miata's 5 speed actually had a lower ratio in the top gear than the 6 speed did, so it really depends on the gearing and the application.

Yeah, with this Passat being 'sport' it's obviously an image thing, and it only having 5 speeds instead of 6 is just odd. It seems to miss the market of who they are trying to sell these to is all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Comparing the ST 5-door to my Protege (multiplied by final drive to get total flywheel-to-axle ratio; final drive on the Fiesta is 3.82:1, 4.10:1 on the Mazda):

code:
Ford     Mazda
14.237   13.575
 8.014    7.561
 5.184    5.378
 3.935    3.982
 3.136    3.099
Gearing is pretty close in 1-5. 4 is direct drive on both, 5 is a mild overdrive (~.78:1). 6th on the Fiesta is a higher overdrive, .690:1.

So a 6-speed, at least geared like this, doesn't really affect the performance that much, but nets better highway fuel economy. (side note: the 5-speed in the base Fiesta has roughly the same ratio in 1 and 2, with the 6-speed's top 4 gears covering a slightly wider range of ratios than the top 3 of the 5-speed.) So on the Ford at least it's mostly image.

The Fiesta is about 150 pounds lighter than the Mazda, with 25 more horsepower and 65(!) more lb*ft of torque, so it could get away with waaay closer gearing and a higher final drive from a performance standpoint if you really wanted to take advantage of all 6 speeds. Also I'm using numbers for the US Fiesta, I'm not positive, but I believe the Euro model is different.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fucknag posted:

So a 6-speed, at least geared like this, doesn't really affect the performance that much, but nets better highway fuel economy. (side note: the 5-speed in the base Fiesta has roughly the same ratio in 1 and 2, with the 6-speed's top 4 gears covering a slightly wider range of ratios than the top 3 of the 5-speed.) So on the Ford at least it's mostly image.

Isn't this the same for nearly every 6-speed?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KakerMix posted:

I didn't mean manual transmissions, I mean 5 speeds in them. All most of those you listed have six gears, VW shoving a 5-speed in this 'sport' Jetta Passat feels like they are using leftover parts from somewhere.

VV My mistake, but still. That's a base cheap car ala Versa.

The manual transmissions in all of those are 5 speeds. The Versa use to have a 6 speed option in the last generation but they got rid of it and downgraded it to a 5 speed for the current version.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

2014 WRX, too.

Holy crap, I don't know how I missed that. That's ridiculous.

... soooooo, who's the best person in Philadelphia to swap an STI drivetrain into my wagon, 'cause Subaru just doesn't seem to want to sell me a car ever again.

Beelzebubba9
Feb 24, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy crap, I don't know how I missed that. That's ridiculous.

The 2014 WRX is the last generation model which has always had a 5MT. The 2015, which will be available starting this spring, has a 6 speed manual.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cream_Filling posted:

Isn't this the same for nearly every 6-speed?

Seems like it. It is really interesting how much the move to 6 and 7 speed transmission is "more is better" marketing or if it really offers real world improvements.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bovril Delight posted:

Apparently, the 5 speed box is the better for autocross duty because it has a slightly taller 2nd gear and doesn't require as many gear changes as the 6 speed.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Bovril Delight posted:

only be a 4 door (:cry:).

Wrong emoticon, you were looking for :awesome:. 4-door supremacy

Bovril Delight posted:

At least for Subaru, the 5spd from 2004-2007 was made of glass and the 6spd was indestructible so there was more than just ratios and more cogs involved.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well yeah, you could have a poo poo 5 speed and a great 6 speed like the WRX vs. STI, but it could be the other way around too.

And a GTI/Golf R should only be 2 doors. 4 doors really ruins the line. On a wagon 4 doors is great, but on a hatch it looks overdone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm having the opposite problem trying to buy a hatch in my part of the world - too many three doors when I want a 5 door (which I don't think in general look worse but are a lot more practical)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

bidikyoopi posted:

Wrong emoticon, you were looking for :awesome:. 4-door supremacy

At least for Subaru, the 5spd from 2004-2007 was made of glass and the 6spd was indestructible so there was more than just ratios and more cogs involved.

Other way around with the 5-speed. 02-03 were easily the worst years reliability-wise but they gradually improved in durability. The 06 is strong enough that people with mechanical sympathy should be able to drive them hard, but they'll hold them back from the sheer gear-jamming mayhem that the 6-speed craves.

08+ seem quite tough indeed. Hopefully the 14+ 6-speed is strong but it's not the same box by any means.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

bidikyoopi posted:

The 6 speed for the 2015 WRX is indeed just the 5 speed with different ratios and more cogs. It's the same as the Legacy, which is derived from the 5 speed. The STI 6 speed is a completely different transmission.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bovril Delight posted:

And a GTI/Golf R should only be 2 doors. 4 doors really ruins the line. On a wagon 4 doors is great, but on a hatch it looks overdone.

I don't think this at all, and I wouldn't have bought one if it was only in a two-door. The thing about the 2015 R being only available in a 4/5 door has got to be VW responding to what the market says. They are listening, because I like my four doors man.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You're a bad person and should feel bad.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Got to disagree here, 2 door hatches just don't work, they're a pain for carrying stuff or for rear seat passengers. If you want a 2 door get a coupe.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Z06

:circlefap:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aargh posted:

Got to disagree here, 2 door hatches just don't work, they're a pain for carrying stuff or for rear seat passengers. If you want a 2 door get a coupe.

But two door coupes have the same problems (just worse in the case if carrying stuff)

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Jesus H. Christ. If these depreciate like the old Z06 did I could see myself with one in a few years.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
We already did the ranting about how many Ferrari design cues they borrowed, right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wish we would make it a rule and not allow those kinds of posts any more. Who actually wants to read that poo poo for pages and pages? "Oh look some part of car 1 looks like car 2. See I am an expert on cars" :fuckoff:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 12, 2014

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Throatwarbler posted:

I wish we would make it a rule and not allow those kinds of posts any more. Who actually wants to read that poo poo for pages and pages? "Oh look some part of car 1 looks like car 2. See I am an expert on cars" :fuckoff:

I'd happily second that.

Has there been any information released about the MSRP for the new z06?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

On good, an automatic transmission. I'm glad they've finally addressed this important segment of the Z06 buying demographic. :geno:

*it's not 100% clear from looking at the shifter, but the paddles behind the wheel have "+" and "-" like on the auto Stingray. The manual Stingray paddles say "rev match" on them.*

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The large "P" on the speedo helps, too. :v:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Goddamn it. Now I kind of want to sell the GTR and get one of those. Although given the history would probably be smart to wait for the second model year.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's a beautiful thing in person too.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Throatwarbler posted:

On good, an automatic transmission. I'm glad they've finally addressed this important segment of the Z06 buying demographic. :geno:

Garage queen vette owners have bitched about the stick only option for 2 generations now. GM is going to sell so many god drat automatic Z06s.

The only part that makes me sad is that in a few years when I go looking for used ones, I'll have to look through all the drat auto ones for sale. Pretty much second generation used CTS-V search all over again :(

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 12, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You sure that's an auto? It's hard to see, but it looks like a shift pattern on top of that shift knob....Can't see the pedals either.

[edit] nevermind, I see the paddles now. WTF.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2014

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
That's very clearly a manual stick, but those are very clearly not rev-matching paddles because they don't say rev-matching. Hmm....

There is supposed to be an 8-speed auto in the pipeline and I GM also patented a 7-speed DCT awhile ago as well: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/27/gm-files-patent-for-7-speed-dual-clutch-for-corvette/

I'm wondering of the -+ symbols onto the rev-matching paddles for something like a an 8-speed auto or if this is an indication of something else entirely? The plot thickens.

Also staring at this car makes something else thicken....

For reference

There are drive indicators right next to the auto shifter. There is something weird going on here.

Lord Lilf fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 12, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Franco Caution posted:

Garage queen vette owners have bitched about the stick only option for 2 generations now. GM is going to sell so many god drat automatic Z06s.

Ya know, I'll go ahead and take the bait. I remember a time when automatic transmissions were horrible and sketchy. Sketchy like a guy standing in a dark alley; not the friend who'll pay back the $20 they just borrowed in a few days. They were held together by unicorn tears, black magic, and the alignment of the planets. You never knew when they'd break. When (not if) they broke, they would usually have to be taken to a wizard of the dark art of automatic transmission voodoo to have them fixed. And that poo poo was expensive. But we've come a long ways since then in the auto world. With technology taken from things such as F1 & drag racing, modern day automatics are heaps better. We've gotten to the point where automatics are not only getting incredible gas mileage; but we also have almost instant on-demand shifting that has been proven to hold up well on the track for the most part. While I love a good 5 or 6 speed, I can't deny the fact that automatics are almost cool and I don't mind them being in sports cars. Just please don't ever take away a manual option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

A manual transmission with an auto mode? :raise: