Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doh... Thanks for keeping it real.... I just hope she doesn't come home with a sailor now and makes me sleep in the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

Definitely bringing booze next time I get a mani-pedi. When they ask, I'll say "this is a saloon, right?"

They won't get the joke because they're Vietnamese, but I'll know.

the hair salon I go to serves fruit-infused water in wine glasses so that's kind of like alcohol, whenever I go there it looks like people are drinking white wine and rosé

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I need to make my grocery list/meal plan for next week. I got an email tonight that my class is ready, which means 2 hours of reading and other homework every night. Ideas for things that are vegetarian and also super easy?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

detectivemonkey posted:

I need to make my grocery list/meal plan for next week. I got an email tonight that my class is ready, which means 2 hours of reading and other homework every night. Ideas for things that are vegetarian and also super easy?

bacon

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

With sauteed Brussels sprouts minus the bacon! Good idea!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

detectivemonkey posted:

Cook in bulk. Chili, curry and soup will all last nicely, and you can supplement them with other things so it doesn't get boring. Casseroles or lasagnas are also good.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Cook in bulk. Chili, curry and soup will all last nicely, and you can supplement them with other things so it doesn't get boring. Casseroles or lasagnas are also good.

I try to do that on Sundays -- right now I have some chili, macaroni and cheese, and empanadas in the freezer. They'll be part of the plan for sure.

Also our anniversary is Monday. I'm with most of the thread on anniversary-caring, though. We'll get cupcakes and maybe order pizza?

Edit: I don't currently have manicotti in the freezer, which is a travesty. Maybe that! I need better casserole recipes, though!

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 11, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

poopkitty posted:

(because he works on Valentine's Day. Such is life.)

You're at least making him chocolate, right?

Chum Scandal posted:

don't feel bad, it's awful poo poo. tell them to play the last of us if they want to see what actual good writing is for a zombie apocalypse setting.

Be fair the setting was lifted com Earth Abides.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

detectivemonkey posted:

do you have a crock pot? this is a good lentil soup recipe and you can leave out the canadian bacon

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

empanadas ftw

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Portals posted:

do you have a crock pot? this is a good lentil soup recipe and you can leave out the canadian bacon

I do, and that looks good! Thank you!

So far, my next week looks like:
Black beans & quinoa with mango and other yummy stuff
Broccoli cheddar soup
Some fancy anniversary dinner (which is probably takeout Thai food)
Quesadillas
Tortellini & Brussels sprouts
Something frozen
Black bean, sweet potato & corn hash

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

like yo im a meat eater and poo poo but i think id rbeak down and cry if i couldnt eat broccoli anymore if i was a veg id prolly eat nothing but broccoli its so good

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

like yo im a meat eater and poo poo but i think id rbeak down and cry if i couldnt eat broccoli anymore if i was a veg id prolly eat nothing but broccoli its so good

I'm not a vegetarian, but my husband doesn't eat meat and I don't like cooking meat, which works out well. When we met and I was figuring out how to eat things that aren't meat, I made roasted broccoli almost every day because omg it is so good.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
tell him that bacon grows on trees

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

broccoli is basically the best vegetable

carrots and potatoes are pretty good too

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

onions are prolly the best with but drat is broccoli so good

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

toe knee hand posted:

tell him that bacon grows on trees

He actually will eat bacon, but that's about it. As it turns out, if you don't eat meat for many, many years, it seems weird.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Portals posted:

broccoli is basically the best vegetable

carrots and potatoes are pretty good too

Sweet potatoes are probably my favorite. Brussels sprouts are definitely up there. Also asparagus and lima beans. 4-year-old me would be so disappointed in what I've become.

IMPORTANT EDIT: ONIONS ARE NOT ON THE LIST.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

Breakfast is my favorite meal. There's a stand at the Saturday farmer's market that makes God's own biscuit sandwiches, and I purposefully go to bed at a decent hour Friday night so I can get there before they sell out of everything.

I love breakfast. And when I moved to Texas, I discovered breakfast tacos and migas which are the food of the gods. Migas is scrambled eggs with tortilla chip pieces, cheese, tomatoes, onions, serrano peppers, and sausage (optional). I can eat migas literally every single day and my local texmex restaurant doesn't even ask me anymore. (I actually had migas there for lunch today, mmmmmmmm.)

detectivemonkey posted:

I'm not a vegetarian, but my husband doesn't eat meat and I don't like cooking meat, which works out well. When we met and I was figuring out how to eat things that aren't meat, I made roasted broccoli almost every day because omg it is so good.

I had been a vegetarian since high school but started eating meat maybe four years ago and have no idea how to cook it. My local sustainable food center has a cooking school and a class on cooking "farmer's market" meat that I'm thinking of taking so I can stop eating out so much.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

onions are prolly the best with but drat is broccoli so good

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

just look up a couple of episodes of good eats on youtube and remember to just relax and be confident and let flavor happen

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Good eats is loving unwatchable. I don't know how everyone doesn't smash their screen trying to punch that dude within 30 seconds.

America's Test Kitchen isn't wacky entertainment, but they do a good job of explaining why they're doing what they're doing. Get their big annual cookbook, look up the simplest meat recipes, and just go from there.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i can understand not liking good eats but the dude does a pgood job of teaching how to cook if you can stand him

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
So does ATK/CI, but it's a lot easier to turn the page past Mr. Bowtie Vermont.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i remember watching this youtube channel awhile back that was really professionally done and it was like some chef showing you how to bake various breads from scratch + a meal to compliment it anyone know what i am talking about or did i dream of it

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

i can understand not liking good eats but the dude does a pgood job of teaching how to cook if you can stand him

i havent seen any other cooking show actualyl give you the science and why of what the hell is going on. its always "well.. this is what my gam gam did and now i do it too! lol!"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Get yourself a good, old-fashioned Joy of Cooking cookbook, preferably an older edition. The recipes are by no means ground-breaking, but it's a great reference.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

stuff where you are just having recipes spouted at you is loving useless btw

unless its like baking or candy a recipe is just gunna get in your way

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
When I said to look up easy meat recipes in ATK, I meant like "put a chop in a pan" or "put a short rib in a Dutch oven for a long time." That's just a way to find out why to treat them differently, and also have dinner at the end.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Get yourself a good, old-fashioned Joy of Cooking cookbook, preferably an older edition. The recipes are by no means ground-breaking, but it's a great reference.

If there's never a mention of a microwave and it shows you how to skin and butcher a squirrel, it's the right edition.

I would also recommend starting with slow-cooker recipes. My fear with meat is undercooking, so if that's yours as well, slow-cooker or dutch oven recipes may set your mind at ease.

How long were you vegetarian? DId you have trouble moving back to meat? It's been about 17 years for my husband so I think it might take a while, and I'd love tips to give him!

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Anne Whateley posted:

When I said to look up easy meat recipes in ATK, I meant like "put a chop in a pan" or "put a short rib in a Dutch oven for a long time." That's just a way to find out why to treat them differently, and also have dinner at the end.

Huh, I'd never heard of this (I don't actually watch TV/cooking stuff) but I'll check it out. I find cooking really frustrating because I don't know how to judge if a recipe is good, I don't have many spices so every recipes winds up being $$$, and then it's usually kinda mediocre and I'm stuck eating it for a week. So then I just give up and eat cheddar cheese popcorn for dinner. Again. But I keep telling myself surely it can't be that hard, plenty of not bright people manage to feed themselves.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

detectivemonkey posted:

If there's never a mention of a microwave and it shows you how to skin and butcher a squirrel, it's the right edition.

I would also recommend starting with slow-cooker recipes. My fear with meat is undercooking, so if that's yours as well, slow-cooker or dutch oven recipes may set your mind at ease.

How long were you vegetarian? DId you have trouble moving back to meat? It's been about 17 years for my husband so I think it might take a while, and I'd love tips to give him!

I was a vegetarian for like 20 years but honestly, I didn't have any trouble going back to meat. I was a bad vegetarian and would wind up eating not great food that just didn't have meat (my friends called me a carbetarian) so I figure my body was probably starved for protein. I did lose five pounds tho'.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

t_violet posted:

I was a vegetarian for like 20 years but honestly, I didn't have any trouble going back to meat. I was a bad vegetarian and would wind up eating not great food that just didn't have meat (my friends called me a carbetarian) so I figure my body was probably starved for protein. I did lose five pounds tho'.

Haha, that was me my first year with my husband. I gained so much weight and ate so much cheese and pasta.

Unrelated: Samir from Office Space is in the episode of The West Wing that I'm watching!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

t_violet posted:

Huh, I'd never heard of this (I don't actually watch TV/cooking stuff) but I'll check it out. I find cooking really frustrating because I don't know how to judge if a recipe is good, I don't have many spices so every recipes winds up being $$$, and then it's usually kinda mediocre and I'm stuck eating it for a week. So then I just give up and eat cheddar cheese popcorn for dinner. Again. But I keep telling myself surely it can't be that hard, plenty of not bright people manage to feed themselves.
Here's your new bible! Don't jump in with the hardest one, just try some stuff that looks pretty basic and good. If you can follow directions, it's really hard to screw up. The recipes themselves are all good, without question, and they do a good job of explaining why you're doing what.

If you're into the science, there's this. I haven't tried it, but it's hard to find an ATK/CI cookbook that isn't five stars.

e: also once you get into fancy spices, you're going to have a collection like your shoes. I look in my cabinet and have no idea how I got here. I guess the good news is it's all upfront costs...

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Find out what little ethnic markets are in your area, and buy your spices and things there. They'll be much cheaper and usually better quality than grocery store stuff as well. Those places usually have really good produce too

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm going to second Good Eats because I'm surprised no one else has. I have a very hard time remembering things unless I know exactly why. So when Alton Brown explains things in what some people think is excruciating detail, that's enough to get me to remember why I'm doing a particular step. When I cook, I have to think about the science to avoid doing it wrong.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Are there any pitfalls I should know about before I start shopping on etsy

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Two things

One - check out the gws poorfood thread, it's good.
Two - this gallery show actually kind of depressing and I wish I'd just stayed home and smoke a blunt or something. I had really good hopes for this and am not pleased.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

detectivemonkey posted:

I'm going to second Good Eats because I'm surprised no one else has. I have a very hard time remembering things unless I know exactly why. So when Alton Brown explains things in what some people think is excruciating detail, that's enough to get me to remember why I'm doing a particular step. When I cook, I have to think about the science to avoid doing it wrong.

Part of the reason good eats is "goofy" or "silly" is to help dispel or break peoples anxiety or fears about cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sabel posted:

Are there any pitfalls I should know about before I start shopping on etsy

Well, the phrasing of your question implies that you've so far avoided the biggest pitfall of all,

Sabel posted:

shopping on etsy

• Locked thread