Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Varinn posted:

I wouldn't say it's even close to typical, really. A free respec in something like this I'd expect if they redesigned a hero entirely, but nerfing one skill? Not really.

Ragnarok needed a change, but calling what they did to him "nerfing one skill" gets the Understatement of 2014 Award. They shelved Rag completely. Outside of buffed Lightning Rounds, I can't imagine ever using Rag over Thor again, and I already use Wolverine over Thor.

Edit: And I'm not even advocating a respec, just clarifying someone else's statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The 1000pt region in double shot has a lot of crabbing activity but 1400 or so is relatively quiet. There are lots of high value opponents if you skip shuffle, netting you 30+ points per fight, so you can actually climb really quickly once you're out of crab town.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Sitting at mid 30s in double shot with 400ish points, waiting until the last 30 or so to push for top 15. First in our bracket is over 1500 with a 600 point lead over second, no idea how you gain that high with everyone else so low.

You don't fight people only in your bracket.

Russad posted:

Ragnarok needed a change, but calling what they did to him "nerfing one skill" gets the Understatement of 2014 Award. They shelved Rag completely. Outside of buffed Lightning Rounds, I can't imagine ever using Rag over Thor again, and I already use Wolverine over Thor.

Edit: And I'm not even advocating a respec, just clarifying someone else's statement.

Well, Thor and Wolvie are getting nerfed too, so maybe you'll use him after all?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I got stuck I the whale bracket. #1 guy is at 2500+, #2 at 1900.

I'm sitting pretty at #13 with 1405, hopefully it lasts.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

messagemode1 posted:

The 1000pt region in double shot has a lot of crabbing activity but 1400 or so is relatively quiet. There are lots of high value opponents if you skip shuffle, netting you 30+ points per fight, so you can actually climb really quickly once you're out of crab town.

Counter point!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I fought earlier for a while and got me close to 600 but kept getting attacked so I shielded. That placed me in the low 20's and that's about as high as I'll be able to go I think. I may risk it in these last few minutes for a few more wins but doubt I'll be able to crack top 15. Oh well I still need 2 yellow covers and it'll let me pump more ISO on Spider-Man plus gain me 100 HP so I can't complain.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I got my neck out past 1st place (~1050) and foolishly shot for 1100. The crabbing was pretty rough, but I managed to shield up in second just below 1000. It doesn't look like any of the non-shielded top 10 are making much permanent progress.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Decided to go for Top 5 for Spidey Purple even with the upcoming 'balance' cause I want him fully skilled anyways. It's not like the nerf is immediate anyways, Thor and Wolverine will be nerfed before Spidey. Got to 1000 half an hour ago, shielded immediately. Was only attacked three times after shielding, once before.

Also I don't get #2 on my bracket. I knocked the dude down to #3, so his response was to un-shield, fight his way back to #2, and then shield again. That's 50 HP for... what, exactly?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also I don't get #2 on my bracket. I knocked the dude down to #3, so his response was to un-shield, fight his way back to #2, and then shield again. That's 50 HP for... what, exactly?

For #2. Obviously.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

You don't fight people only in your bracket.

Well, Thor and Wolvie are getting nerfed too, so maybe you'll use him after all?

Well, they nerfed a 3 star hero to be worse than most of their 2 stars. Maybe the Thorverine nerf will finally get me using Yelena!

Or maybe I'll just start playing different games.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

So it turns out you can still earn points when shielded, if someone loses/yields to you.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Top 45, matching the Top 45 I got on the first one. Huzzah!

I got to just under 700 via :effort: and collected my 125 HP and called it a night.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If they nerf Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman/Magneto, how are you realistically supposed to take on these L240 missions? Your regular matches do piddly poo poo for real damage unless you have Wolverine Strike tiles on the board (pray there's no L240 Bullseye), and you're really reliant on instant-burst nukes from Thor/Magneto to take out a healer like Daken. And without a reliable stun from someone like Spiderman (Black Widow dies if anyone even looks at her), Juggernaut/Moonstone/Ares will just one-shot someone in your team.

Oh, I know, pay HP for those special event boosts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eddain posted:

If they nerf Thor/Wolverine/Spiderman/Magneto, how are you realistically supposed to take on these L240 missions? Your regular matches do piddly poo poo for real damage unless you have Wolverine Strike tiles on the board (pray there's no L240 Bullseye), and you're really reliant on instant-burst nukes from Thor/Magneto to take out a healer like Daken. And without a reliable stun from someone like Spiderman (Black Widow dies if anyone even looks at her), Juggernaut/Moonstone/Ares will just one-shot someone in your team.

Oh, I know, pay HP for those special event boosts.

The only HP boost is 150% to HAMMER. Doesn't help much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'll make the leaderboards more varied and interesting, I hope.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Dear Marvel Puzzle Quest,

I get that you enjoy giving me poo poo characters like bag-head Spider-man and modern Hawkeye whenever I get tokens. I really do. Actually, I'm cool with that. All I ask is that you always, 100% without fail, let me sell them from the character received screen. For some reason, I can put up with every bit of bullshit you dish out whenever I play, but having to leave a menu and dive two more deep to sell the 8 millionth Juggernaut you've set me up with is just too much.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
How are there people with different scores in the opening level of The Hunt? There aren't any repeatable missions.

E: ah, it combines from all the missions.

BDawg fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 11, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A demiurge developer has said they're definitely looking at respec systems, but with no timeline for implementation yet. Cmooooon!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What determines the bracket you get into? Is it the first time you start the game while the event is active, the first time you fight someone's team, the first time you actually click on the event and bring up its screen, or something else?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

First time you earn points.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

A demiurge developer has said they're definitely looking at respec systems, but with no timeline for implementation yet. Cmooooon!

That they're playing nerf/buff whackamole without one in place is ridiculous. Of course a lot of things are ridiculous about this game.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I hate these loving non-repeatable events. It just becomes a game of not playing the new content for as long as possible. Did the original Hunt have any repeatable stuff? I was pretty low level when it came out and didn't really play it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A last (half hour or so) entry into the Double Shot tourney netted me a yellow Spider-Man with about 60 points or so and the Standard token I got from progression on that got me a purple Spider-Man. I finally have all his colors! And I picked up a fourth Purple Original Black Widow; is Aggressive Recon worth taking past 3?

Karnegal posted:

I hate these loving non-repeatable events. It just becomes a game of not playing the new content for as long as possible. Did the original Hunt have any repeatable stuff? I was pretty low level when it came out and didn't really play it.

Mostly the last missions in each sub-event, which often require specific characters in your roster.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hogama posted:

A last (half hour or so) entry into the Double Shot tourney netted me a yellow Spider-Man with about 60 points or so and the Standard token I got from progression on that got me a purple Spider-Man. I finally have all his colors! And I picked up a fourth Purple Original Black Widow; is Aggressive Recon worth taking past 3?

Mostly the last missions in each sub-event, which often require specific characters in your roster.

Well, as long as the special character isn't magneto I'm fine. But to clarify, if I clear the current hunt is there a repeatable or do you man that one of the ones 4-5 days from now will have repeatables? Because I cleared the first 2 and saw nothing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

Well, as long as the special character isn't magneto I'm fine. But to clarify, if I clear the current hunt is there a repeatable or do you man that one of the ones 4-5 days from now will have repeatables? Because I cleared the first 2 and saw nothing.

The last three fights of the first hunt are repeatable.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

rabidsquid posted:

Ah, I didn't notice. Thank you!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is it just me, or are shields gone? I'm not seeing them in the SHIELD Training or the Hulk tournament.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

And they require Punisher, Invis Woman, and Hulk from bottom to top.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Punisher and Hulk aint bad as required teammates. Invisible Woman though... :smith:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

And they require Punisher, Invis Woman, and Hulk from bottom to top.

Mine was this originally, but has now changed to IM40, Grey Widow, and Hulk.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I just got a red Ragnarok from a standard token. How cute :allears:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
A New Dark Avenger may be the dumbest mission I've ever seen. I'm 0/3 on it with a team that cakewalked the 240 Jugs, rags, whoever team on the hulk event. I cannot fathom how any of these will be doable if wolverine gets his green nerfed.

Took 6 attempts with 3 buffs. Got by thanks to punisher's red at 5. gently caress that mission.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 11, 2014

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Is it just me, or are shields gone? I'm not seeing them in the SHIELD Training or the Hulk tournament.

Missing for me too, on Android.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Phenotype posted:

I can see them in the Hulk event but not SHIELD training (been that way for a day or two). I'm on Steam.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dont get them til you start playing a tournament. Dont know why it wouldnt show up in training tho.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Helical Nightmares posted:

So Ares is the Greek god of War and Violence.

What is his story in the Marvel universe?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wonder Man is getting in Ares' way, despite them supposed to be pairing up.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Who writes these Ares stories? It feels familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bruceski posted:

Who writes these Ares stories? It feels familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Bendis - from the first arc of Mighty Avengers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004

Bruceski posted:

The panels with Wonderman are written by Greg Pak, they're from The Incredible Hercules.

The ones where Ares has his own team of soldiers to train are from the Ares miniseries during Dark Reign and is written by Kieron Gillen.