Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I almost don't mind the widebody kit. Shame about the suspension though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

88h88 posted:

So this dude is nearly done with his car now.

What I really want to know is why that particular era of Celica?

The fact that the car is in Japan and not Kansas or something has some form of redeeming quality to it. I'm reminded of looking at crazy Bosozoku cars when I was just getting started into driving and drifting and stuff like 10 years ago and just loving how wild they all got with their modifications. I can respect that someone is doing something in a culture completely unlike mine where maybe they're just trying to see what kind of statement they can make.

I wouldn't drive it but it's not supposed to appeal to me anyways.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

88h88 posted:

I unironically love this car, its not like fwd celicas were good.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's the best looking generation of Celicas, though, so they have that going for them. Until someone does that to them

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

That's the best looking generation of Celicas, though, so they have that going for them. Until someone does that to them

Heresy! The Celica line had a lot of good looking models, in my opinion. I always had a soft spot for the 4-headlight 90's models.

edit: Go through the Wikipedia link below, only the second gen cars would I consider "ugly."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celica

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 10, 2014

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

This is just magnificent!

IPCRESS posted:

Group B does not belong in this thread.

"Post terrible retarded crowd stuff in this thread", sure.

Its me, Im the terrible retarded crowd at rallies. Since most of the time Im at a rally Im mostly likely working as a marshall so I have high visibility vest on, so of course I need to check that people are not in the dangerous zones of corners, by being there myself. Because you get better photo angles from there, you see! This really doesnt matter for the local and national rallies due to much relaxed rules about those. But I really enjoy it everytime Ive been working at the WRC Finland, due to the enforced 2m zone from the road.

Though Im glad we arent in the same attitude as in US, I cant wrap my head around the idea to have only certain areas youre allowed to be in, instead of having certain areas of corners and jumps being offlimits. Because of liability I guess?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nocheez posted:

Heresy! The Celica line had a lot of good looking models, in my opinion. I always had a soft spot for the 4-headlight 90's models.

edit: Go through the Wikipedia link below, only the second gen cars would I consider "ugly."

I didn't say the other generations are ugly, just that the last generation was the best looking.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Nocheez posted:

First gen was best. I got to drive a GT for a summer in high school. I don't know why but I always loved that thing. Such a nimble little car. At that point they were still under 10 years old so it's the model I grew up around.

Just like this but orange and LHD.

I've been looking for a first/project car for my son and these are near the top of the list of candidates. They seem to be rare as hen's teeth though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

I didn't say the other generations are ugly, just that the last generation was the best looking.

It never came in a GT-FOUR variety, therefore it sucks.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

88h88 posted:

I understand that when I see really stupid looking lowered cars that they're most likely bagged, so that when the owner wants to actually turn the car on and drive they can raise it to a height where it's not completely useless on public roads. Is there some sort of similar technology for camber I don't know about? When this guy puts his car in drive will those wheels tilt back to normal enough so he has a contact patch large enough where he's not a danger to himself and others on the road?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

davebo posted:

When this guy puts his car in drive will those wheels tilt back to normal enough so he has a contact patch large enough where he's not a danger to himself and others on the road?

Nope that's how it sits. It's more than likely just a show car anyways.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

88h88 posted:

Because they already look like poo poo.

Edit: Woah, hey, Celicachat. I'll take a 1st or 3rd-5th gen please.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

davebo posted:

I understand that when I see really stupid looking lowered cars that they're most likely bagged, so that when the owner wants to actually turn the car on and drive they can raise it to a height where it's not completely useless on public roads. Is there some sort of similar technology for camber I don't know about? When this guy puts his car in drive will those wheels tilt back to normal enough so he has a contact patch large enough where he's not a danger to himself and others on the road?

If it was a swingarm rear end like in a pre-69 bug, yes it would untuck, but those cars are intentionally hosed like that so that they can run wide wheels legallly. Most countries state that the top of the tire must be inside the wheel well.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Most suspensions are designed to give more negative camber as they are compressed, so the camber probably does go closer to normal if that car's suspension is raised.

Strut suspensions have very little camber change over their travel, double wishbones have more.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
More of It Came From Ebay

Volkswagen 930 Vee street custom

1985 El Camino/Cadillac Customized Collector's Edition

That one might be in the wrong thread :allears:

And something I found on tumblr:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That 930 kitted Beetle wouldn't be too awful if you chopped the roof a few inches, imo. The El Caddino rules.

IIRC that gif is from a Finnish rally in the 90s.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

I love it :unsmith:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Ulfhednar posted:

More of It Came From Ebay

Volkswagen 930 Vee street custom

1985 El Camino/Cadillac Customized Collector's Edition

That one might be in the wrong thread :allears:

That Beetle is horrendous, but for some reason I can't totally hate the El Cadillero.

I'm kinda curious how it'd look with a set of CTS-V wheels on it as opposed to the chrome IROCs.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Root Bear posted:

That Beetle is horrendous, but for some reason I can't totally hate the El Cadillero.

I'm kinda curious how it'd look with a set of CTS-V wheels on it as opposed to the chrome IROCs.

I'm in the same boat, I can't fully commit to hating the El Caddy like I can the crappy looking VW.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Certain things about the Cadamino strike me as being odd choices. I can understand the steering column from a 90's truck, since the first gen Escalade was a GMT400, but why a steering wheel from a Lumina APV?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ulfhednar posted:

It's cool, this always happens to me when driving through Los Santos. $100 at the Pay'N'Spray will fix you up.
:rimshot:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ulfhednar posted:

"It's still good, it's still good! It just has a little bit of positive camber"

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Dr.Smasher posted:

I'm in the same boat, I can't fully commit to hating the El Caddy like I can the crappy looking VW.

In more capable hands, the Cadillero would be a really neat thing. I can see what he was trying to do, and I like the idea. Just needs better execution.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'd drive the poo poo out of that Caddy Camino.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Was I the only one that thought 'Cadallino'? It's pretty awesome fwiw

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

That actually doesn't look to horrible, if you ignore the rear end end and chop the top of the bug a little. Hell, I would love to plaster that thing with Porsche emblems and racing stripes just to piss off soccer moms in their Porsche SUV.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

quote:

El Cadino

quote:

El Cadillero

quote:

El Caddy

quote:

the Cadillero

quote:

Caddy Camino

quote:

Cadallino

I think we need a poll to settle once and for all the proper name for this thing.

exempt
Dec 10, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

I think we need a poll to settle once and for all the proper name for this thing.

The Eldocamino.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

Bob.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Terrible Robot posted:

It's really more of a El Deville or ElCeville

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

El Caddino

and yes it rules

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

In a similar vein, that idea can go very very right

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/01/murcialago-mix-up-the-fiat-that-ate-a-lamborghini/#chapter-no-that-s-not-possible

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is the only proper name. Just the right amount of business and leisure. That car loving rules.

Also, the last gen celica was meant to look like a cross between a pouncing cheetah and a naked woman. I couldn't make this poo poo up if I tried.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kill-9 posted:

First gen was best. I got to drive a GT for a summer in high school. I don't know why but I always loved that thing. Such a nimble little car. At that point they were still under 10 years old so it's the model I grew up around.

Just like this but orange and LHD.

I've been looking for a first/project car for my son and these are near the top of the list of candidates. They seem to be rare as hen's teeth though.

Seconded. I had a'74 Celica GT and except for the fragility of the 18-RC motor, it was a ton of fun. I got mine in late '84, just out of college.

(after some asshat hit me in a parking lot)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

Hell, I would love to plaster that thing with Porsche emblems and racing stripes just to piss off soccer moms in their Porsche SUV.

Why would you think that would "piss of soccer moms" who don't know poo poo about cars, don't care about yours, and wouldn't notice it anyway while on their cell phone blowing stop signs?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PainterofCrap posted:

Seconded. I had a'74 Celica GT and except for the fragility of the 18-RC motor, it was a ton of fun. I got mine in late '84, just out of college.

Look, a real briefcase. Remember those?!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

PainterofCrap posted:

So uncool. If it was an American car of the era I guarantee they didn't even feel it.

I couldn't decide what thread this should go in. I think it's awesome but I'll let y'all be the judge. Seen at Cars and Coffee in Austin yesterday.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Kill-9 posted:

So uncool. If it was an American car of the era I guarantee they didn't even feel it.

I couldn't decide what thread this should go in. I think it's awesome but I'll let y'all be the judge. Seen at Cars and Coffee in Austin yesterday.

It's amusing but kind of the inverse of what it needs to be. See, I can't imagine most Lambo owners getting too mad about someone having a little fun with their insane supercar. Stick a Lambo badge on a GT3, however, and watch the hateful glares roll in...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kill-9 posted:

I see that and just assume it's driven by a girl named Porsche. Because parents who would name their daughter Porsche probably would buy her a Lamborghini for her 16th birthday anyway, right? It just doesn't jive with the vanity plate.

Edit: unless it's a hand-me-down when her dad got an Aventador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Would have been funnier with a VW logo.