Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sure I'm basically purely asking about the graphic asset used, should have just made a screen with zero context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
For me, I saw the button but had no idea what it was. I actually sat and tried to figure out how to get the sidebar to go in and out for a while and couldn't. I finally tapped that button cause I had no other idea what it could do.

You know how if you are playing a video or game and they have the swipe up gesture do the thing where it doesn't work the first time but a little icon shows up that lets you know to pull again if you're sure?

That sort of icon on the side to let me know there is a little something there that can be pulled out or pushed in would seem to make more sense.

And then, since it hovers above, there should be a way to pin it in, or make it sink in or something.

Just thoughts

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

tehloki posted:

s anybody testing release candidates on a 4s? I would gladly volunteer to test beta builds on one if not.

I test the beta builds on my 4S :3:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Ooo ooo, I have a problem to report! I found something!

I noticed a user that had a name referencing another user named Aatrek, and when I saw a post by this Aatrek guy I decided to check out his rap sheet to see what got him permabanned. I tried to view the post via rapsheet but nothing would happen when I selected it. Then I tried looking at some of his older (archived) probations and got a 'post not found' dialog box and hit close, then tried tapping the topmost post again (which I think should still be viewable because it's in the gas chamber) and got stuck in a loop of 'post not found' dialog boxes that would pop up again as soon as they were dismissed. Pressing the back arrow got me out of it, though.

Edit: oh... Ah... Hmm. Well, I never go to TVIV so I guess I wouldn't know.

Edit 2: went to safari and saw that the permabanned post isn't linked or doesn't exist. So now I know why I couldn't view it.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 10, 2014

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

He didn't get perma'd for a specific post, so there's nothing to link to. This should enlighten you, though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Interesting bug that I just found: on an iPad 3 running 7.0.2
Watched a YouTube video using the in-app browser and returned to the thread without stopping the video (roughly 1/4 through the total play time). The audio kept playing until I switched away from the app and switched back.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Search please

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Maybe there should be a poll so we can see which oft-requested feature or change has the most users begging for it so it could be prioritized

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Are there any plans to disable input while the screen is refreshing? I was clicking on threads while the list was refreshing and the wrong thread would open when the list would finish updating. Now I stare at every forum or bookmark screen for a few seconds to see if it will redraw before i hit anything.

This, along with the lack of any easy way to access bookmarks from within a thread I got to from a forum and vice versa are the two biggest annoyances I run in to.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
When I look at a rap sheet (iphone 5) some of the entries are cut short with ... for some reason. Doesn't seem to do with length since other longer entries show up in full.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Can you bake the YOSPOS themes into the rest of the subforums in-app so I don't have to do some crazy poo poo to the code with my computer ?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

Are there any plans to disable input while the screen is refreshing? I was clicking on threads while the list was refreshing and the wrong thread would open when the list would finish updating. Now I stare at every forum or bookmark screen for a few seconds to see if it will redraw before i hit anything.

This, along with the lack of any easy way to access bookmarks from within a thread I got to from a forum and vice versa are the two biggest annoyances I run in to.

Same here. No indication that it is refreshing and not being locked out means I hit the wrong thread a lot. Maybe only a problem if you have slow internet?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Not sure if this has been reported yet, but if you load a thread and there's only one unread post on the page, pulling up to go to the next page is hard/impossible. Obviously you can use the > button to go to it, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Cosmetic only bug: When using the dark theme, sometimes the little "loading" wheel shows up as black-on-black rather than being white. Seems to happen most at the bottom of the bookmarks page when loading a second page, but I've seen it fairly often at the top when refreshing as well. I can't make any rhyme or reason out of when it shows white and it shows black, seems completely random.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

One of the thread tags in SA-Mart is broken.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Accidentally updated on my phone. New version does indeed blow as much as I feared it would. Can't wait to get home and roll it back.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Javid posted:

Accidentally updated on my phone. New version does indeed blow as much as I feared it would. Can't wait to get home and roll it back.

Feel free to give constructive feedback so he can make it not suck.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Brain Curry posted:

Are there any plans to disable input while the screen is refreshing? I was clicking on threads while the list was refreshing and the wrong thread would open when the list would finish updating. Now I stare at every forum or bookmark screen for a few seconds to see if it will redraw before i

Yes, this. I've ended up in the wrong thread on a number of occasions because the thread I touched turned into a different thread a half second later.

And I'll just add that I a) like the redesign for iOS 7 and b) appreciate being able to easily switch between dark and light themes, depending on ambient light and eye fatigue levels.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You actually put in the thing where threads with unread posts get sorted to the top. This is excellent. If you could've put that in the old one and fixed the big with threads not scrolling it would be perfect. Otherwise old awful was 100% great and didn't need to be reinvented in an rear end- ugly style.

E: actually y'all didn't even fix that one thing, I just got a lucky arrangement if threads earlier. Never mind!

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I've not been keeping up with the thread since the latest update, so I dunno if this has been spoken about. But basically since the last update, whenever you move back a page in a thread, the whole app freezes for about 15 seconds after loading the page.

Anyone else getting this?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So just to confirm, swiping from the left to reveal the thread list is going to be added back in, in a future version yes?

I really liked that in the old-old version (I was under the impression iOS7 multigestures broke it?) and it'd make using the iPad version better (no reaching for the <>).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Granted I'm not pokeyman, I think it's safe to way that yes gesture controls will make their way back to the iPad version.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but on my iphone 5s with the latest iOS, I just tried to post a thread in ask/tell. Selected 'tell' and an appropriate thread icon, entered a subject and a paragraph in the op. Went to post and it asked if I was sure I wanted to post 'is this original/helpful, etc?' I selected yes, it gives the thinking icon stating that it was processing. Then it crashes to desktop. I open Awful back up and it goes back to the thread I'm trying to post, with only half the paragraph in the op displayed. Go to check if thread has posted, and it hasn't.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

This thread icon seems messed up:

I finally remembered to check this on my computer, and I figured it out the cause, but I have no good solution. The problem is that the same auction gif (icon-46-trading.png) is used both as a thread icon (in SA-Mart and BFC) and and a post type (in SA-Mart). This works on the real forums since they are both the same size, but in the Awful app, they are different sizes. So it tries to use the 28x28 overlay as the 90x90 thread icon and it looks junky.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't change font size anymore?

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
I love this app, but there's one thing that drives me crazy. When I'm reading a thread and have to turn off my phone or minimize the app for whatever reason, the app will refresh the page and take me back to the top whenever I unlock my phone or bring the app back up. It didn't always do this; the app would only refresh when I pulled the page up or down. This means that I lose my spot whenever I can't sit and read something all the way through.

Otherwise I absolutely love the app and can't find any problem with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Can't change font size anymore?
It's hooked into your system font size.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Incoming omnireply for page 108!

Magnus Praeda posted:

Interesting bug that I just found: on an iPad 3 running 7.0.2
Watched a YouTube video using the in-app browser and returned to the thread without stopping the video (roughly 1/4 through the total play time). The audio kept playing until I switched away from the app and switched back.

I'll take a look! Love background audio bugs. Such a strange subsystem of the OS.

tehloki posted:

Maybe there should be a poll so we can see which oft-requested feature or change has the most users begging for it so it could be prioritized

Just keep nagging. (Seriously.)

Brain Curry posted:

I do want to address this, it's one of the shittier parts of the app for sure. Disabling input is the fix of last resort though; I'd rather get the refresh happening smoothly and helpfully.

Oceanbound posted:

When I look at a rap sheet (iphone 5) some of the entries are cut short with ... for some reason. Doesn't seem to do with length since other longer entries show up in full.

On the list!

scary ghost dog posted:

Can you bake the YOSPOS themes into the rest of the subforums in-app so I don't have to do some crazy poo poo to the code with my computer ?

I have a real hard time trying to figure out what sensible behaviour is for theming. This is one aspect of it, as there's no sensible reason to stop you from Macinyos-ing the whole Forums. Another is the "light/dark" theme setting which changes things outside the posts view, should that be separate from the posts view setting? And now that themes can affect the thread list, what happens there? I want to figure all this out sometime, but it's a surprisingly tricky interface issue.

Haggis Heed posted:

I've not been keeping up with the thread since the latest update, so I dunno if this has been spoken about. But basically since the last update, whenever you move back a page in a thread, the whole app freezes for about 15 seconds after loading the page.

Anyone else getting this?

Everyone probably is, but it takes much less than 15 seconds so it's not as obvious. It's on the list.

The Dave posted:

Granted I'm not pokeyman, I think it's safe to way that yes gesture controls will make their way back to the iPad version.

Yep.

nwin posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but on my iphone 5s with the latest iOS, I just tried to post a thread in ask/tell. Selected 'tell' and an appropriate thread icon, entered a subject and a paragraph in the op. Went to post and it asked if I was sure I wanted to post 'is this original/helpful, etc?' I selected yes, it gives the thinking icon stating that it was processing. Then it crashes to desktop. I open Awful back up and it goes back to the thread I'm trying to post, with only half the paragraph in the op displayed. Go to check if thread has posted, and it hasn't.

I'll take a look.

smackfu posted:

I finally remembered to check this on my computer, and I figured it out the cause, but I have no good solution. The problem is that the same auction gif (icon-46-trading.png) is used both as a thread icon (in SA-Mart and BFC) and and a post type (in SA-Mart). This works on the real forums since they are both the same size, but in the Awful app, they are different sizes. So it tries to use the 28x28 overlay as the 90x90 thread icon and it looks junky.

This is the end result of a deficiency in Awful's thread tag update system, which doesn't distinguish between thread icons and post types. The correct solution is to pull the 28x28 overlays out of the thread tag system and include them as separate images. Though I imagine that could gently caress things up in the other direction. I'll figure something out.

Josh Lyman posted:

This is a decision that literally nobody has commended, so I imagine we'll switch back at some point. Or at least provide the option of doing so.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

This is a decision that literally nobody has commended, so I imagine we'll switch back at some point. Or at least provide the option of doing so.

Please do. There is no downside whatsoever to letting us choose font size in-app. (At least on our end)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks!

Kaethela posted:

Please do. There is no downside whatsoever to letting us choose font size in-app. (At least on our end)
Tbh it's mostly the quotes font being microscopic that grates me.

Regardless, awesome app

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Just wanted to mention the app quits out if you delete a couple private messages one after the other.

Edit: apparently I can't compose and send a new pm from scratch but replying to PMs works. The send button gets greyed out, cancel button doesn't work so I need to force quit it.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 16, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ACID POLICE posted:

Edit: apparently I can't compose and send a new pm from scratch but replying to PMs works. The send button gets greyed out, cancel button doesn't work so I need to force quit it.

I had this same error this afternoon. The PM did successfully send though.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Oops. Someone might have like 6 PMs from me then

Aside from that rock solid app. So much nicer than the Android one :stare:

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

ACID POLICE posted:

Oops. Someone might have like 6 PMs from me then

Aside from that rock solid app. So much nicer than the Android one :stare:

Why did you dislike the Android one? Not to discredit the iphone one but I thought the Android one was pretty drat good. I like the Android icon far better to be honest though.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

pokeyman posted:

Incoming omnireply for page 108!

I do want to address this, it's one of the shittier parts of the app for sure. Disabling input is the fix of last resort though; I'd rather get the refresh happening smoothly and helpfully.

What if tapping on a thread cancelled the refresh and opened the thread? If I'm clicking on something I probably don't care about the refresh. By the time I get back to my bookmarks or the forum, it will probably need to refresh again anyway.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SaucyLoggins posted:

Why did you dislike the Android one? Not to discredit the iphone one but I thought the Android one was pretty drat good. I like the Android icon far better to be honest though.

Is it still the dumb frog?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Dave posted:

Is it still the dumb frog?

:frogout:

The frog is the best non-grenade icon

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

I quite like my teeny tiny system font (got my slider full left), but won't be heartbroken if we go back to controlling font-size in-app again. :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sereri posted:

:frogout:

The frog is the best non-grenade icon

I rather use Fiesta Cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

I rather use Fiesta Cat.

Yes!

Where was this suggestion three months ago.

• Locked thread