Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Aziraphale posted:

Is anyone else getting mad reading Vulkan Lives?

Don't Read Vulkan Lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
I just started it and I kinda had a laugh at how much of a drama queen Vulkan is right from the bat. Just gets blown across the battlefield by the missile barrage and sees his dead captain and goes straight into the big WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

VanSandman posted:

Don't Read Vulkan Lives.

I already spent 16 bucks on it, so I'm committed :(

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

hopterque posted:

Uh, there were "wolves" before Leman Russ came, remember that humans had been living there for ages before Leman Russ came in the early imperium/pre crusade years.
I think the theory is that the "wolves" are people mutated by dark age of technology bioengineers or something back during the original original settlement of Fenris.

e: You've got to remember that the coming of the Imperium to Fenris is pretty recent history in the Heresy days, the human settlement by the old pre-strife human empire was at least five thousand years or so before that and that's where the "wolves" come from.

Yes, it's exactly this. Fenris was settled during the Dark Age of Technology, and the genetic engineers of that time created the Canis Helix to give the settlers the ability to survive in that very harsh environment. For a portion of the recipients, the Helix caused them to turn into wolves, or possibly give birth to wolves, that isn't specified (for good reason :nms: ). But regardless, the wolves are descended from human settlers who overexpressed the Canis Helix, not from failed Marine recruits - those are the Wulfen.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Kylaer posted:

Yes, it's exactly this. Fenris was settled during the Dark Age of Technology, and the genetic engineers of that time created the Canis Helix to give the settlers the ability to survive in that very harsh environment. For a portion of the recipients, the Helix caused them to turn into wolves, or possibly give birth to wolves, that isn't specified (for good reason :nms: ). But regardless, the wolves are descended from human settlers who overexpressed the Canis Helix, not from failed Marine recruits - those are the Wulfen.

That must be what is meant when it's said 'there are no wolves on fenris.'

What the poo poo is this? Is it some alternate universe where Horus wins? I see it's not of the Horus Heresy series, but of an Imperium Secundus, so the second founding?

Also, BlackLibrary must be having some problems, because I can't find an ebook of Eisenhorn to save my life. Instead I get a ton of French and Spanish language short stories about Raevenor.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 12, 2014

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Aziraphale posted:

What the poo poo is this? Is it some alternate universe where Horus wins? I see it's not of the Horus Heresy series, but of an Imperium Secundus, so the second founding?

Did you read the description? It's what Guilliman does since the warp storms cut off Ultramar from the rest of the galaxy. Apparently they assume that Terra fell so he starts a new Empire and a bunch of people show up (including Vulkan). I haven't read it yet, so I don't know how Sanguinus gets from this second empire back to Terra in time to get murdered by Horus.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Potential Spoilers, if you care about that kind of thing:

In various other boooks, Lorgar and the Word Bearers raise a giant warp storm and manage to cut Guilliman's Five Hundred Worlds of Ultramar off from the outside universe entirely. They can't communicate outside of it. They can't even see the Astronomicon to try and escape it.

Completely isolated in the storm, Guilliman has no idea how the rest of the Imperium is doing. For all he knows, the Emperor is already dead. Imperium Secundus is Guilliman's last ditch effort to preserve the Imperium by creating a "backup Imperium" out of Ultramar to maintain a line of succession in the event that they find that they are all that's left of the Imperium when the warpstorm dies.

The book is called "Unremembered Empire" because Guilliman's hope is that when the warp storm dies the Imperium will still be there. If that's the case he'll just quietly put the Imperium Secundus down and then walk away from it while pretending it never happened, making it an unremembered empire.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Aziraphale posted:

Also, BlackLibrary must be having some problems, because I can't find an ebook of Eisenhorn to save my life. Instead I get a ton of French and Spanish language short stories about Raevenor.

Which reminds me - never, ever read something from Abnett in Spanish. All the amazing play-on-words he does is completely lost in these translations, since they just go straight for the word he's actually replacing. :(

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kylaer posted:

For a portion of the recipients, the Helix caused them to turn into wolves, or possibly give birth to wolves,
For Christ's sake, nobody gave birth to wolves. The wolves are genetic failures of DNA splicing.

Aziraphale posted:

It even says in the Amazon description "The Unremembered Empire (The Horus Heresy)." "Imperium Secundus" is the subtitle, just like "Blood for the Blood God" is the subtitle of Betrayer, not the series name.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Azran posted:

Which reminds me - never, ever read something from Abnett in Spanish. All the amazing play-on-words he does is completely lost in these translations, since they just go straight for the word he's actually replacing. :(

I think it depends on how good the translator is rather than the language, but yeah, the spanish version don't do justice to Abnett, it sucks but it's pretty common. I have a lot of black library books in spanish and I switched to the original version in ebooks to avoid crappy translations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I had no sleep tonight. I foolishly sat down in be around midnight with a copy of Helsreach a friend gave me and decided hey, I don't like Black Templars, but I might as well take a peek at this. Armageddon, and stuff.

The next time I looked up from the book, it was getting light outside the window.

It's a very intense book, clearly a Stalingrad-themed last stand epic. It's one of the best books in detailing how divorced Space Marines are from humans, enough to make you wonder if it is only the sheer weight of tradition that keeps them protecting mankind instead of simply reaving their way around. Orks aren't funny in this book; they are like a hateful force of nature.

At the same time, it gives Depth to the Black Templars in a very powerful way. I'd expect maybe a Salamanders or even a Space Wolves apothecary to be broken to the point of tears and nearing a breakdown as he harvests the geneseed of his whole dying company, but never a Black Templar. And yet it makes sense, because the Crusade is all they have, and they are removing themselves from it. The attrition between their way of war and the Salamanders is also handled tastefully: strong enough to matter, but not veering into "So if Wolverine fights Lobo, who'd win?"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Echoing the love for "Scars". Chris Wraight is one of my favorite BL authors right now. I put him on that solid second tier with guys like French & Mitchell. I liked his space wolf books and the Scars are a similar bunch and he gives them a good treatment. If this was an audition for a full HH scars line then I think he deserves to pen one.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Sephyr posted:

I had no sleep tonight. I foolishly sat down in be around midnight with a copy of Helsreach a friend gave me and decided hey, I don't like Black Templars, but I might as well take a peek at this. Armageddon, and stuff.

The next time I looked up from the book, it was getting light outside the window.

It's a very intense book, clearly a Stalingrad-themed last stand epic. It's one of the best books in detailing how divorced Space Marines are from humans, enough to make you wonder if it is only the sheer weight of tradition that keeps them protecting mankind instead of simply reaving their way around. Orks aren't funny in this book; they are like a hateful force of nature.

At the same time, it gives Depth to the Black Templars in a very powerful way. I'd expect maybe a Salamanders or even a Space Wolves apothecary to be broken to the point of tears and nearing a breakdown as he harvests the geneseed of his whole dying company, but never a Black Templar. And yet it makes sense, because the Crusade is all they have, and they are removing themselves from it. The attrition between their way of war and the Salamanders is also handled tastefully: strong enough to matter, but not veering into "So if Wolverine fights Lobo, who'd win?"

I really enjoyed the sequel as well. Unfortunately for me, I read Helsreach after Blood and honor, but it doesn't really matter. ADB is a fantastic writer of 40k.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think it would be fair to just say "ADB is a fantastic writer."

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Sephyr posted:

I found that the best part about Helsreach is how utterly flawed and dysfunctional the Black Templars. I thought ADB did a great job highlighting the fact that though they're genetically modified super soldiers armed with the best that the Imperium has to offer, they're also emotionally stunted manbabies and have trouble adapting to other people's opinions or objectives.

Chapters like the Black Templars are divorced from humanity simply because they chose to be. A chapter like the Salamanders, the Space Wolves or the Ultramarines would be happy working with the various elements of the Imperium and solving a bigger problem together whereas Grimaldus never compromises and will break everybody's toys if he doesn't get his way.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kegslayer posted:

I found that the best part about Helsreach is how utterly flawed and dysfunctional the Black Templars. I thought ADB did a great job highlighting the fact that though they're genetically modified super soldiers armed with the best that the Imperium has to offer, they're also emotionally stunted manbabies and have trouble adapting to other people's opinions or objectives.

"Take a child, allow it to develop without ever understanding the frailties of human weakness, and force it to grow through the ingesting nothing but the virtues of obedience, loyalty, and combat prowess. Surround it in ceramite. Arm it with fire. Tell it that it answers to no authority beyond its equally powerful, equally unrestrained brothers.

That is a Space Marine."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kegslayer posted:

Chapters like the Black Templars are divorced from humanity simply because they chose to be. A chapter like the Salamanders, the Space Wolves or the Ultramarines would be happy working with the various elements of the Imperium and solving a bigger problem together whereas Grimaldus never compromises and will break everybody's toys if he doesn't get his way.

This makes me curious, how would other people rank Astartes chapters in terms of not being dickholes? My list starting with the ones you mentioned would probably go something like this--

Tier 1: Salamanders, Space Wolves
Tier 2: Ultramarines

with Tier 1 being the chapters who retain a surprising amount of empathy for its own sake, and Tier 2 being the ones who are more aloof but who are actively engaged in being benevolent guardians to the planet(s) under their rule. I don't know how many tiers I'd put, but poo poo like the Marines Malevolent and Minotaurs would be at the very bottom, with stuff like the Templars being in the bottom half but not at the bottom.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

JerryLee posted:

This makes me curious, how would other people rank Astartes chapters in terms of not being dickholes? My list starting with the ones you mentioned would probably go something like this--

Tier 1: Salamanders, Space Wolves
Tier 2: Ultramarines

with Tier 1 being the chapters who retain a surprising amount of empathy for its own sake, and Tier 2 being the ones who are more aloof but who are actively engaged in being benevolent guardians to the planet(s) under their rule. I don't know how many tiers I'd put, but poo poo like the Marines Malevolent and Minotaurs would be at the very bottom, with stuff like the Templars being in the bottom half but not at the bottom.

The Iron Hands would be pretty low on the list, with their mass executions and sending their allies on suicide missions.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I don't know how one ranks the Space Wolves as more benevolent than the Ultramarines.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Uroboros posted:

I don't know how one ranks the Space Wolves as more benevolent than the Ultramarines.

The Space Wolves like people, and if they don't they're not all superior about it. Some Ultramarines are reeeeal dicks, though. Not all, just some. It's the metal rod up their rear end that does it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Aren't Blood Angels also really nice and super compassionate (when not frothing mad and drinkign blood and stuff)?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Would the Ultramarines have gone to war with the Inquisition over the purge of Armageddon?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Khizan posted:

Would the Ultramarines have gone to war with the Inquisition over the purge of Armageddon?

No, they'd have pulled their weight to compromise, and resolve the situation with less casualties on all sides.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nephilm posted:

No, they'd have pulled their weight to compromise, and resolve the situation with less casualties on all sides.

Exactly how do you compromise on genocide to silence a people?

I mean what, the Ultramarines only let them kill 1 billion people instead of 2 billion? The Inquisition lets the knowledge that some of the Emperor's sons fell to chaos and still roam the galaxy become common knowledge at a slower rate?

What is the middle ground here, and how does it still not make the Ultramarines dickbags?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

I mean what, the Ultramarines only let them kill 1 billion people instead of 2 billion? The Inquisition lets the knowledge that some of the Emperor's sons fell to chaos and still roam the galaxy become common knowledge at a slower rate?

What is the middle ground here, and how does it still not make the Ultramarines dickbags?

Honestly after the battle was done the Ultramarines would probably pack up and leave. Not their territory, not their problem.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I'd have to imagine the Blood Drinkers would be bottom tier. They only save people to use them as walking juice boxes.

I'd also probably put The Black Dragons as a Tier 3. Sure they pretty much sacraficed their humanity and became monsters, but its to protect the people of the Imperium.

Not sure where I'd put the Grey Knights. Probably mid-tier.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

VanSandman posted:

Honestly after the battle was done the Ultramarines would probably pack up and leave. Not their territory, not their problem.

The Ultramarines wouldn't have abandoned the battlements and taken higher casualties to keep the population from seeing anything either. The Wolves took the harder method and sacrificed marines to save lives. Ultrasmurfs wouldn't do that

EyeRChris posted:

Not sure where I'd put the Grey Knights. Probably mid-tier.
It's kinda twisted because they want to be as good and be top tier because of their oaths to humanity, but their oaths to the inquisition put them as pretty brutal. Like, everyone in The Emperor's Gift seems very compassionate and values human lives. But they obey the Inquisition who is, you know, the Inquisition.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EyeRChris posted:

I'd also probably put The Black Dragons as a Tier 3. Sure they pretty much sacraficed their humanity and became monsters, but its to protect the people of the Imperium.

This reminds me, no one should read Death of Antagonis. Ever.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Has anyone else read the ADB advent story yet? Abaddon:Chosen of Chaos? It's real good. I mean, it's only 3 pages long, but if that is how the Warmaster chronicles will be, I'm stoked. Abaddon as paternal and casually cruel works so much better than the near rabid dog he is in the Horus heresy opening novels or battle fleet Gothic books.

ADB also drops like 7 potential plothooks in those 3 pages to, so as an example of things to come, hell yeah.

I'll stop now because its so short if I comment more I'll give it all away

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

The Ultramarines have the resources of a legion, an empire of 500 worlds and a shitload of allies and goodwill so they have much more negotiating power than the Space Wolves. It's hard to imagine that the Inquisition would have acted the same way but given that the Ultramarine are pragmatists, I assume they would have made deals with other inquisitors, sold out the survivors to save more lives somewhere else or just outright have assassinated anyone who opposed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

The Ultramarines wouldn't have abandoned the battlements and taken higher casualties to keep the population from seeing anything either. The Wolves took the harder method and sacrificed marines to save lives. Ultrasmurfs wouldn't do that

The sad thing is, the Inquisition is right to be paranoid, malevolent fucks who will unflinchingly drat a million to save a billion. Considering what they're up against, if they didn't, everyone would be dead already. The Wolves have the luxury of compassion and humanity in a galaxy that works tirelessly to turn those traits into deadly vices.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cream_Filling posted:

Aren't Blood Angels also really nice and super compassionate (when not frothing mad and drinkign blood and stuff)?

I've never heard about this one way or another (probably because good quality fiction about the Blood Angels or successors seems to be really hard to come by). The closest thing I've heard is that they were really looked up to because of Sanguinius's legend as one of the Emperor's most noble and benevolent sons, but nothing about how you can expect them to treat people in practice.

Some of their successors go pretty far off the handle, like the aforementioned anecdotes about the Blood Drinkers.

And it's interesting to hear about the Black Dragons, I didn't know much of anything about them except that they are a cursed founding chapter and the Inquisition has its eyes on them because they like to grow bone spines (which does start to make them cooler in an enemy-of-my-enemy kind of way).

VanSandman posted:

The sad thing is, the Inquisition is right to be paranoid, malevolent fucks who will unflinchingly drat a million to save a billion. Considering what they're up against, if they didn't, everyone would be dead already. The Wolves have the luxury of compassion and humanity in a galaxy that works tirelessly to turn those traits into deadly vices.

I would argue that the Wolves actually show that there's another way and that the Inquisition is overzealous and errs too readily on the side of atrocity. Disaster hasn't resulted because the Wolves are bros, either after Armageddon in particular or the ten-thousand year period in general.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

JerryLee posted:

And it's interesting to hear about the Black Dragons, I didn't know much of anything about them except that they are a cursed founding chapter and the Inquisition has its eyes on them because they like to grow bone spines (which does start to make them cooler in an enemy-of-my-enemy kind of way).

It's a legion of armored up Barakas from Mortal Kombat

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I've never heard about this one way or another (probably because good quality fiction about the Blood Angels or successors seems to be really hard to come by). The closest thing I've heard is that they were really looked up to because of Sanguinius's legend as one of the Emperor's most noble and benevolent sons, but nothing about how you can expect them to treat people in practice.

Some of their successors go pretty far off the handle, like the aforementioned anecdotes about the Blood Drinkers.

I would argue that the Wolves actually show that there's another way and that the Inquisition is overzealous and errs too readily on the side of atrocity. Disaster hasn't resulted because the Wolves are bros, either after Armageddon in particular or the ten-thousand year period in general.

I think the Blood Angels are suppose to be pretty chill since they're renowned for their nobility, grace and honour and Dante is a champ. Your ordinary trooper isn't going to know about the Red Thirst or understand who the Death Company are so I can't imagine anyone would have problems with them.

The legions that are benevolent can probably afford to be while those that don't have the resources of a First Legion like the Celestial Lions would probably have difficulty surviving in the 40k Imperium.

Speaking of which I didn't realise there was a sequel for Helsreach with the Celestial Lions and the Black Templars. Is it worth reading?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Speaking of which I didn't realise there was a sequel for Helsreach with the Celestial Lions and the Black Templars. Is it worth reading?

I sat down and read it in one sitting last night. It's about 40ish pages on a kindle, but I thought it was a great follow up to Helsreach and offered some neat story points. The Celestial Lion story circle was also pretty great.

I actually have a question for anyone else who read the Armageddon books: Is that stormtrooper captain Andrej a perpetual ? I mean he just keeps popping up and that little bit with him on the Eternal Crusader in the end was really out of place.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 14, 2014

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

handbanana125 posted:

I actually have a question for anyone else who read the Armageddon books: Is that stormtrooper captain Andrej a perpetual ? I mean he just keeps popping up and that little bit with him on the Eternal Crusader in the end was really out of place.

Nah, he is just some well-placed comedy in an otherwise really grim set of stories. The final joke is that the story ends really bitter with Grimaldus saying that even that funny comedic relief guy dies in the end, and then literally on the last page he pops up again complaining about how he isn't getting retirement pay because some dumbass Space Marine hammered his name onto a big monument and now he needs to run back down there and cross the name out. It's the weird dark comedy that makes ADB books so good.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Nah, he is just some well-placed comedy in an otherwise really grim set of stories. The final joke is that the story ends really bitter with Grimaldus saying that even that funny comedic relief guy dies in the end, and then literally on the last page he pops up again complaining about how he isn't getting retirement pay because some dumbass Space Marine hammered his name onto a big monument and now he needs to run back down there and cross the name out. It's the weird dark comedy that makes ADB books so good.

I figured he was being played for the comedy, but he seems to make it through the heaviest fighting without a scratch in both sets of stories. Maybe I'm being a giant goon, but I couldn't help but think ADB was doing something funky with him.

Adventures of Grim and Andrej trilogy 2016?

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

To add to the grimness, the female Guardsman apparently died as well. It's been a while since I read it, but I recall something along the lines of

Grimaldus: "Did you find her?"
Andrej: "Yes":smith:
Grimaldus: "Awkward silence"

Does BL bundle the Advent stories afterwards? I'd like to read them, but I'd rather not buy them one by one.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kegslayer posted:

The Ultramarines have the resources of a legion, an empire of 500 worlds and a shitload of allies and goodwill so they have much more negotiating power than the Space Wolves. It's hard to imagine that the Inquisition would have acted the same way but given that the Ultramarine are pragmatists, I assume they would have made deals with other inquisitors, sold out the survivors to save more lives somewhere else or just outright have assassinated anyone who opposed.

I thought that the Ultramarines were only chapter-strength and that their 500-world empire had been diminished in the Heresy and then split among their successor chapters, though they have an easy time in calling for the aid of their pals.

Given that their primarch was the guy who went out of their way to have Astartes be controllable by the High Lords of Terra (The Shadow Crusade alone wiped 100 worlds clean of line, and the warp storm that came later probably didn't help), I don't think they'd be starting crap with the Inquisition, let alone assassinating anyone in the Imperial chain of command. They may feel awful about it, but they'd likely wash their hands of the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
By the "resources of a legion", I'm assuming he meant that the Ultramarines are the agreed-upon chief successor chapter to the original Ultramarines Legion. The chapter master of the Ultramarines is a de facto legion master through the strength of his authority as the successor of Guilliman, and the chapter masters of Ultramarine-founded chapters see him as their "spiritual liege".

I'm not sure about this, though. Such a described legion-emulating structure is more associated with the Dark Angels.