Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Daedleh posted:

Don't mind me, nothing to see here.

Who are those cat people in the photo with the Brokors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That ruin terrain is looking great.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I got my deadzone box while on lunch and looked into it a little bit. Looks like I am missing a few small things and I have a few broken figures that appear to have snapped during shipping. Specifically the jumping goblin sniper's rifle and the running Yndij rifle barrel. I'll have to look more in depth when I have time to do a better unboxing. I mostly just looked through the figure bags and got overwhelmed by the giant box of restic/plastic I got. I knew the game box was huge but drat this thing is HUGE.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Daedleh posted:

This stuff base: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/winsor-and-newton-galleria-acrylic-paint-in-yellow-ochre/565592-1054

Drybrushed to this: http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/winsor-and-newton-galleria-acrylic-paint-in-buff-titanium/565592-1047

I sponge weathered with vallejo german grey and then used modelmates' rust effect which is loving awesome stuff.
Thank you!

I got mine today, and it's pretty huge and impressive. The packaging was really strange - no packing peanuts but some twisted bubble wrap and random torn cardboard box sections. There were some loose heads and most of the extra individual hounds I'd ordered, I think the rest of those figures are in the mix somewhere. I picked up enough Plague to use them in Warpath (combined with the Z-Corps for regular troopers) and I'm really looking forward to painting the hell out of them.

Was there supposed to be a metal figure that everyone is freaking out about? And it looks like my extra enforcers were packaged in the core box instead of with the loose bags.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Courier arrived while I was in the shower, the only 15 minutes of the day nobody was able to answer the door. Fortunately, the resounding thump I heard was him putting the box over the side gate and into the yard, no need to arrange a pick up from the depot! Now I can head out and run some quick errands, then come home and unbox it before work.

I don't even know of any stores full stop, let alone ones who'll play it, I'm still new to wargaming. I know some clubs exist, I'll have to investigate them.

Infinity in the city near the Pancake house. Southern Wargamers at Brighton are good, too (assuming they're still there)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Woo boy.

I warn you, the terrain is not as snap-together/ lego like as I thought. I tried to build a simple 2x3 1 story building Saturday. I am still on it.

I can't tell if I use too many or too few connectors. They rarely fit nicely. I scrounged around and found a screwdriver bit that fits to help make the fit happier. I still like the game and don't want to say anything negative about Mantic, but jeez this has been frustrating. This has been the most trying build in my 7 years of minis gaming.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
For me, the buttress and strut connectors on the regular terrain sprues work like a dream, but the little connector sprue ones are kind of terrible, like they're just barely out of tolerances.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm going to try filing mine, because I'd prefer not to glue.

Got an xmas box today, had in it:
Nameless Spawn
Anne-Marie Helder
Green Loka Centaur thing
Forge Father stormrage veterans
Deadzone Yndij + Sorak bag
3 Ogre Warriors
Marauder Command sprue
10 Men at Arms
10 Elf Archers
Magazine and Elf art

Seems I got a bit less than some. Also I need to find a base for the Nameless Spawn. I'm thinking that because I also ordered the Alpha Simian and Ludwig blisters to reach free shipping, those took up extra space in the box that would otherwise have gone to more random stuff. Sigh.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 17, 2013

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Built up the basic starter for my plague guys last night. The Plague didn't have nearly as many mold lines and flash as my marauder sprues I was looking at, so cleanup was a breeze. I also didn't have to heat up and re-posistion anything like the others I built from my Christmas box. I'll probably assemble The Enforcers next so I can do basic games and they will also take kindly to faster/easier paint jobs. I'm just so overwhelmed by all the stuff in that box and I still have more coming in Feb.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Which kind of glue should I be using on these? I got a pretty solid bond combining superglue with plastic cement, but I don't want to do that for all these models.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm using garden variety superglue for the restic, works well

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I'm using dollar store super glue when at work, and gorrilla glue when at home, and both are bonding quickly and strongly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's probably that this tube I'm using has gone bad then. I'll buy a fresh one tonight when I pick up some new x-acto blades. Thanks!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Model Masters plastic cement is working fine for me, all searching I have done restic is a fancy way of saying plastic-resin. As in its nothing special.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well that's weird. I was using brush-on plastic cement with mixed results and lovely gel superglue to equally mixed results.

Sounds like either would have worked if I'd been using better quality adhesive.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Poly cements generally don't work on Restic - that's actually the first time I've heard of one which does. Superglue all the way.

Feeple posted:

Woo boy.

I warn you, the terrain is not as snap-together/ lego like as I thought. I tried to build a simple 2x3 1 story building Saturday. I am still on it.

I can't tell if I use too many or too few connectors. They rarely fit nicely. I scrounged around and found a screwdriver bit that fits to help make the fit happier. I still like the game and don't want to say anything negative about Mantic, but jeez this has been frustrating. This has been the most trying build in my 7 years of minis gaming.

I hear you :(

It helps to file down the clips or the inside of the holes for them. It seems to be mold lines throwing them off, which is why some of them work fine but others don't. A flathead screwdriver certainly helps. My best tip is just to bite the bullet and glue them. If you use poly cement then it melts them enough that the clips press in fine.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Yeah I can confirm Model Masters plastic cement is working great, and I will be gluing all of the terrain, its a pretty terrible "snap together" design that doesn't function half the time. I love the way the terrain looks though so there is that.

I will be cutting plastic card to make "floors" and then using magnets to hold the floors of a building together, otherwise there is ZERO way to access any figures in the building and the number of floor tiles you get a stupidly low so making more than a couple usable multi-floor buildings is pointless, again, even if you did you couldn't remove the floor to access the lower floor.

I will be making the terrain as game friendly as possible as I plan to use it for Deadzone, Infinity, Judge Dredd and Spartan games 20mm Firestorm game when it ever comes out.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Assembled wrath and I nearly lost my mind. I might leave the sword off - they seem to have done that for all the promo shots.

EDIT: plague are so easy to paint its insane if you just hit them with a pink wash they immediately look amazing

Phoon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 19, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Has anyone figured out a good way to use the fortified wall parts? They are thinker at the tops (bottom?) so you cant use the columns at all so they just end up looking like regular buildings with armored sections..

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Going to try salt weathering tonight and maybe get a game or two in I f I'm lucky.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I finally took a crack at the scenery in the box and so far building the few little pieces for the 4x4 starter mission gave me no problems. Everything snapped together just fine. I am hoping to get a game in this weekend I built up the enforcers and plague and have the plague partially painted.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

So, is any one playing? I took Marauders in my local group, looking to start playing New Year's Day. God drat but the Gobbo Sniper looks hilarious.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I just ordered the Ukomo Avalanchers to play with some friends of mine.

Is Dreadball fun, furthermore will my dinosaurs smash my opponents team?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I played a couple games with my brother over Christmas and we both thought the game was very fun. I just finished priming my landing pad, although I think I'm going to need to build a base for it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Finally, at long last I have my copy of Deadzone! Only took 1/3 the cost in import fees and FedEx holding it for a month, but I can now inventory everything. Is there a good list of what was sent exactly for this first wave? I've seen a few people post it in the comments section of the KS but I'd rather not dig through a ton of posts if possible.

Here's hoping 2nd wave won't be FedEx, or at least they'll properly label all the boxes this time. An almost 6 kg package marked at $20 value is just asking for trouble at customs.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I just ordered the Ukomo Avalanchers to play with some friends of mine.

Is Dreadball fun, furthermore will my dinosaurs smash my opponents team?

Dreadball is great fun. The turtles are a tricksier team than you might think as they're not massive heavy hitters and have no Strikers, but their teleport shenanigans really change the game.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Finally, at long last I have my copy of Deadzone! Only took 1/3 the cost in import fees and FedEx holding it for a month, but I can now inventory everything. Is there a good list of what was sent exactly for this first wave? I've seen a few people post it in the comments section of the KS but I'd rather not dig through a ton of posts if possible.

Check out project updates 124 and 125, they even have pictures to show every single lil' bit you should get!

My god, I've emptied one and a half tubes of superglue but I only have the mercs and my extra rebels' starter left to put together. They go together surprisingly well, and I've been really lucky with mold lines which is neat.

Now to trick people into actually playing the game!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm finally preparing my Kings of War order and I came across this weird thing:

Ilona's Death Guard is £99.99.

The Bloodguard Legion is £99.99.

But when you switch to USD, the prices change to $149.99 and $174.99. That seems really strange, is there reason for it?

e: Compared the lists side-by-side and I'd be paying $25 for an extra 30 zombies, 10 wraiths, Morgoth, and the mounted standard bearer. The only thing I miss out on is the 32 page mini-rulebook and the unit standards, champion, and musicians? Or are they just not listed?

moths fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 3, 2014

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Phoon posted:

Assembled wrath and I nearly lost my mind. I might leave the sword off - they seem to have done that for all the promo shots.

I have no idea how I got him to stick together, but he has these weird holes in his arms that I think should be connected to his cape. Also his cape is floating somewhat over his shoulders. And those cloth/streamer/things hanging down his front are kinda weirdly placed. I'll just bulk him out and fill any gaps with greenstuff after the glue dries. :v:
To be honest I don't even know where that sword would go on him...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Set posted:

I have no idea how I got him to stick together, but he has these weird holes in his arms that I think should be connected to his cape. Also his cape is floating somewhat over his shoulders. And those cloth/streamer/things hanging down his front are kinda weirdly placed. I'll just bulk him out and fill any gaps with greenstuff after the glue dries. :v:
To be honest I don't even know where that sword would go on him...

There's a little dent on the cape, its supposed to attach there somehow but its not clear how, and they haven't attached it in any of the pictures of him I've seen.

moths posted:

I'm finally preparing my Kings of War order and I came across this weird thing:

Ilona's Death Guard is £99.99.

The Bloodguard Legion is £99.99.

But when you switch to USD, the prices change to $149.99 and $174.99. That seems really strange, is there reason for it?

e: Compared the lists side-by-side and I'd be paying $25 for an extra 30 zombies, 10 wraiths, Morgoth, and the mounted standard bearer. The only thing I miss out on is the 32 page mini-rulebook and the unit standards, champion, and musicians? Or are they just not listed?

My experience with kings of war is they will throw that rulebook into everything; I must have four or five copies lying around. The standards, champions and musicians though are usually seperate metal parts so they are not a given.

EDIT: I've now assembled all my rebs and enforcers, working on assembling plague. I've painted up a few plague dudes and an enforcer also. The plague swarm seems to be a "here's some bits do what you will with them" situation - took me a while to figure out how to set one up. This weekend I'll be basing everything which involves cutting off all the tabs so I might get the dremel out and see if that makes things easier.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 3, 2014

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

How are you DZ dudes dealing with mass Frag weapons? Plague can bring a ton of dogs and then grenade launcher dudes and just pin the world.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I got a quick shipment from Mantic since half the stuff in my Deadzone box was either broken or missing. Look forward to assembling all the minis, priming, and playing with 3 people on Sunday.

I was initially upset at a second shipment for the Marines faction booster and the shoddy quality control, but I was really happy Mantic fixed the issue so fast.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Does anybody have a link to that guy's skeletons and revnants where they were painted in subdued tattered rags instead of Mantic's default scheme? I can't remember where I saw that - possibly on the blog?

e: Found it, it was on the blog.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 6, 2014

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Quick question, if I were to jump into Deadzone as of right now, what would you guys recommend?

I'll probably play with at least 2 friends, maybe more. Price doesn't really matter cause I work at a hobby store and would get the game discounted.

Second question, have the campaign rules changed? I was looking forward to them but the alpha rules weren't as expansive as I wanted them to be (coming off Necromunda).

Thanks!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I don't even know of any stores full stop, let alone ones who'll play it, I'm still new to wargaming. I know some clubs exist, I'll have to investigate them.

Looks like Garrison Wargamers at Greenacres might be getting into it, since there'll be a Deadzone demonstration table at their Dreadball event in March:

quote:

Deadzone Sunday 16-3-2014 3-5pm

The new sci-fi skirmish game from Mantic Games is due out at the end of 2013. It features grid based movement, small forces and a clever dice mechanic that will be very familiar to dreadball players. Members of Greenacres Gamers will be showing off the game by setting up a table and running a game at 3pm Sunday. If you are interested in checking out deadzone but can’t make it to this demo session, just come along and linger around the Deadzone table and you stand a good chance of getting a run-through or even a full game.

You can find details of the event here. Looks like the event itself will be at Enfield.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just a couple of hours after I replied to my friend that the 16th of March, their last option before people start missing out, was totally fine for me to attend their housewarming :smithfrog:

I'll see what happens I guess.

Pau posted:

Quick question, if I were to jump into Deadzone as of right now, what would you guys recommend?

The Deadzone Mega Deal and Collectors edition for preorder on the Mantic site are the retail equivalents of the Kickstarter Strike Team (minus some KS exclusives and backer freebies), which is still the best way to get into it. You get a mat, a good amount of terrain, 4 mercs, and the starter for every faction. The Collectors comes with more terrain, an extra merc, and the resin counters/tokens/crates. Then all you need to do is buy a faction booster for the factions you end up playing, or more starters if some people want to play the same ones.

Alternatively, find someone in your general area of the world who backed the Kickstarter and has a second survey coming, then you can piggy back onto their order, have full access to all the mercs, expansion deals, unreleased minis, additional factions and additional battlezones at the KS prices, and get it at a similar time to the retail preorder.

Not tried the campaign rules, so can't tell you.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 12, 2014

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I haven't tried the campaign, but at a glance it looks more balanced than Necromunda's (as you are stuck with bringing the same points, and better troops are more expensive) at the cost of coolness and tons of random tables.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Any word on when the "shipping in December" army deals are actually shipping?

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
So in the vein of 'doing things that GW have done but doing them right/better' Mantic are now introducing Mantic Digital. http://manticblog.com/2014/01/17/welcome-to-the-future-of-dreadball/

Remember how when GW made digital codexes and poo poo we thought it was going to be awesome? This looks like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah I just read the blog, if they can take the same the and approach and make full on interactive rules and army books for Deadzone, Mars Attacks, Kings of War and Warpath they'll be leaving GW well and truly in the dust. Even better if they can then stream rule changes to the books like simple app updates.