Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Shoehead posted:

This looks cool as hell!

I'm getting a very Dr. Fetus vibe from it. Except no suit. Or tophat.

I expect that to simply be an oversight that will be corrected posthaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
I knew this whole TShock mess sounded familiar! Doridian, the guy behind it, pulled the exact same poo poo in Minecraft a few years ago. Server software with malicious backdoors that gave him absolute in-game power over any server that ran it, to the point where he could ban admins from their own servers. He cried and split the scene when he got called out on it. Never change, power-tripping modders :allears:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

Whoever posted the Wrye paper on the Starbound forums is a cool guy. Wrye is a cool guy. Give it a read.
http://wryemusings.com/Cathedral%20vs.%20Parlor.html

This is an excellent read, but what bugs me is:

quote:

... but in the end, I think that whether a mod is Open Modification, or partially open to modification, or not modifiable at all should largely be left up to the mod author.

I mean the whole basis of everyone's argument is what one considers, as this paper claims, 'perversion' modification. Every person has like a certain limit of which they want their mod associated with. Like I don't want my "Better Movement" mod premering in a modpack with "Yiffyfurry Sex and Dildo Mod". People are dumb, so it's easy to blindly group the people under the same modpack. The all or nothing doesn't work here. The permission is the only way to encompass these grey areas.

It's just some people are loving twats.

I dunno. Maybe I'm missing the point and overthinking this like some sort of :spergin:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Jesus Christ. As a copyright attorney working in the games industry, this whole mod community makes me want to pull my hair out. It's like literally a thousand people are making up their own definitions of what the law says, pulling made up poo poo out of nowhere (including on this forum, where someone actually unironically claimed that mods are treated by U.S. copyright law as explicitly legally different than other 'computerized content'). Quoting NYT v. Sullivan? It's not even relevant.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Before you posted the picture with the person in it, I thought this was going to be some kind of race of sentient loaves of bread that use mechs for locomotion.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Leif. posted:

Jesus Christ. As a copyright attorney working in the games industry, this whole mod community makes me want to pull my hair out. It's like literally a thousand people are making up their own definitions of what the law says, pulling made up poo poo out of nowhere (including on this forum, where someone actually unironically claimed that mods are treated by U.S. copyright law as explicitly legally different than other 'computerized content'). Quoting NYT v. Sullivan? It's not even relevant.

So why don't you do something about it.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

goodness posted:

So why don't you do something about it.

Fool's Errand. Worse, an unpaid fool's errand.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Leif. posted:

"You see, my uncle works at the Supreme Court, and he told me..."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Yeah, the people making Nude Pony Mod 2.0 aren't going to be big fees.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I was going to say, the guys talking about mods in Quake and Civ and games like that weren't dealing with modders very obviously inserting their own particular fetishes or, in some cases, plopping in their own Mary Sue banging their high school fantasy girl and then getting angry when another modder had that high school fantasy girl screw Kajiiti instead. Or maybe they did and the Civ modding world was a lot weirder than I knew. I'm still trying to figure out how Total War modding could go off the rails.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how Total War modding could go off the rails.

The Total War scene is pretty bad too, but in different ways. Lots of "historical accuracy" changes that are really just reflections of the creator's cultural bias.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Modding was very different back in the Quake days. 'Modpacks' were incredibly rare because of how non-modular Quake modding was: It was impossible to bolt multiple game-code-modifying mods together, because all of the game logic was bundled in one compiled .dat file. To combine two different mods, you needed a pretty decent understanding of the quake source code, and you had to copy and paste code around and then recompile it before you could redistribute it...

...which leads me to another issue: The Quake modding community, while not having this 'modders rights' furor that Minecraft has, was also not a predominantly open-source community, either. Almost all of the biggest deathmatch bots were closed-source, and you had to personally email the authors to request the source code. It wasn't until far later in the modding scene's history that there were quality open-source mods to use: FrikBot and CoffeeBot are the first two I can remember that had actual source you could interrogate.

I do also remember several X-rated (or so they claimed) mods from back in that era, though since I was on a shoddy dialup and my father did a good job monitoring what I did online, I never actually saw them. Suffice to say, doing really weird sex poo poo with (insert medium here) existed way back in the good old days.

All that being said, the Quake modding community was also very different from the Minecraft modding community because in general, we were absolutely ecstatic if ANYONE downloaded our work. There wasn't much concern for modpacks (see my first point), and if we were included in any kind of mod compilation it was exciting because that meant more eyes on our mods.

tl;dr: Quake's modding community was alot like Minecraft's in the types of mods, but very different in the attitudes of the modders themselves.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Of course Zidonuke is a Second Life furry.

What ever happened to that hard and fast release schedule? All I can bring myself to do is try out all the silly mods I can until this wipe thing happens.

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 12, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dapper Man posted:

What ever happened to that hard and fast release schedule? All I can bring myself to do is try out all the silly mods I can until this wipe thing happens.

They took some time off for the holidays. Mollygos said said the patch should be out this week, though, iirc.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Leif. posted:

Man, we really do need somebody that knows what the hell they're talking about to school these fools.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

They took some time off for the holidays. Mollygos said said the patch should be out this week, though, iirc.
Whoa, sooner than I expected. That's rad news.
As great as all these mods are I really want to get this next patch and see what all is going into it, since apparently it's going to be the biggest one yet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shoehead posted:

poo poo yeah there has. Don't let Curse run poo poo for you and don't let people monetize their lovely girlfriend mods.

There are/were still people who didn't know this? Curse's name is far too fitting for it to be a coincidence. :v:

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
If game companies like Mojang, Bethesda, Chucklefish, etc. didn't give modders rights, they couldn't claim any. Hell, Notch explicitly said he didn't care if modders sold their mods and/or derivative works of Minecraft for profit. And, some did.

It's the game companies that are leaving the doors open to this sort of nonsense.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

If game companies like Mojang, Bethesda, Chucklefish, etc. didn't give modders rights, they couldn't claim any. Hell, Notch explicitly said he didn't care if modders sold their mods and/or derivative works of Minecraft for profit. And, some did.

It's the game companies that are leaving the doors open to this sort of nonsense.

Bethesda at least specifically does not (as far as I know.) I believe that the EULA specifically states anything made using the Creation Kit is ultimately Bethesda's property.

This is, of course, ignored by Skyrim modders and the Nexus.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Bilal posted:

Bethesda at least specifically does not (as far as I know.) I believe that the EULA specifically states anything made using the Creation Kit is ultimately Bethesda's property.

This is, of course, ignored by Skyrim modders and the Nexus.

Well, you know, it's been proven EULA's don't stand up in court. :smug:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Leif. posted:

I was claiming that software digital work that is designated as derivative work is treated in a different manner (especially in regards to fair use defenses of derivative work) than copyrighted software that is not derivative work. Please don't take my words out of context.

Also, nice to see that you can take the time to come out and tell use we are all wrong but can't be assed to tell us why people are wrong or at least point people in the right direction if your time is that precious. :allears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What I'm most baffled by is that there are still people on that mod team defending Zidonuke. Why? The lovely things they did in the past are well-known facts, if they want to be taken seriously they gotta cut ties.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

What I'm most baffled by is that there are still people on that mod team defending Zidonuke. Why? The lovely things they did in the past are well-known facts, if they want to be taken seriously they gotta cut ties.

Allow me to introduce you to the Geek Social Fallacies, particularly #1.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

IronicDongz posted:

Because he's an ~asset~.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

EvilDrWong posted:

Not a single lesson has been learned from Minecraft, has it?

There was a lesson, but it was behind an adfly link, soooo...

Zaa Boogie posted:

Welp, that poo poo is over.

Nyx backed down after achieving their REAL GOAL of getting Tiy to notice. (Ignore that whole cease and desist poo poo)

http://tshock.co/xf/index.php?threads/public-notice-to-chucklefish.2696/

Which might've had something to deal with the dude he's defending telling him to cut that poo poo out.

http://tshock.co/xf/index.php?threads/public-statement-about-zidonuke.2691/page-2#post-29389

So Tiy wins by 1st round KO.

"Do not trust officials attempting to smear him"

It's not like people are just straight up illiterate, but they've got these skewed definitions going. Maliterate, maybe. "Officials"? Official what? Is tiy a member of parliament? And wasn't this whole zidonuke thing pretty much documented and done with? That's not a smear, that's like an amber alert for your community: watch out for that dude at the end of the block because if you let him near your baby, it's gonna look like a sad episode of Diff'rent Strokes, but with pixels.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 12, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

boo_radley posted:

There was a lesson, but it was behind an adfly link, soooo...

"Do not trust officials attempting to smear him"

It's not like people are just straight up illiterate, but they've got these skewed definitions going. Maliterate, maybe. "Officials"? Official what? Is tiy a member of parliament? And wasn't this whole zidonuke thing pretty much documented and done with? That's not a smear, that's like an amber alert for your community: watch out for that dude at the end of the block because if you let him near your baby, it's gonna look like a sad episode of Diff'rent Strokes, but with pixels.

First, please [timg] that. It's huge.

Anyway, that's from the first post of that thread; the most recent post is the Zidonuke guy himself begging them to stop defending him, so I think it's over, unless they've got a new thread going and/or are bitching about it elsewhere.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As someone who has developed mod content in the past, I'm completely and 100% on the side of 'if you don't like people using your poo poo, don't release it'

That's just how it works, honestly. You can't realistically expect to control the use of your work on the internet. If you can't emotionally, financially, or however-else-ly handle that, you need to stop modding. It's your own responsibility if you end up in a situation where your work is being used in a way you dislike, because you released it in the first place. If you're intelligent enough to be able to make content for videogames, you are intelligent enough to understand the consequences of releasing it. Willful ignorance isn't excusable.

"Modder's rights" is a loving stupid idea, you have no rights, you can make content or not, but you don't get to set policy for its use. If you feel you need to do that then you're a goddamn whiny baby and need to get out of modding before you cause more trouble. You are not as valuable as you think you are.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
Posting this for posterity.
Threads from TShock forums, archived on imgur, courtesy of someone on IRC.

C&D post that's now deleted

Statement about zidonuke part 1

Statement about zidonuke part 2

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
It really annoys me that the pixel compressors doesn't cost more to make and then return the amount written on the face of the block. It's like having coins that are not worth face value.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How does that guy not realize that a twitter post does not constitute a statement made by a media outlet? You are legally allowed to say whatever the gently caress you want about anyone over twitter. Even in England, land of utterly absurd libel laws.

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014

Found this digging around in this Zidonuke drama, thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

And I guess TShock has actually gotten rid of him. Not that you can believe a word that comes out of them.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cake Bandit posted:

Found this digging around in this Zidonuke drama, thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

And I guess TShock has actually gotten rid of him. Not that you can believe a word that comes out of them.

Yeah, I love Braaw's chuckling/thread closing intensifies macro he uses. Braaw is a true hero.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea what's going on here, but can someone give me a rundown of the major changes from the past 3 weeks? I havn't been able to follow this game for a while.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Most recent patch is still Angry Koala from December 23. Next one should be out soonish.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woah, lots of mod additions, along with lots of other good stuff. Time to start a new character and experience it all over again.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Something is not right...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Doggboat posted:

:stonk: Have you by chance flew over a tentacle planet with a large ocean or something?

This poo poo is non-euclidian.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Doggboat posted:

:magical: Where you went you won't need eyes to :psyboom:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I am having a weeeeee bit of trouble trying to comprehend what is going on in that picture.

How in the bloody gently caress did your ship get swallowed by the spawn of hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Looks like an attempt at modding in a horrible meatship went slightly awry with block placement.

• Locked thread