Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Powershift posted:

That's just the momentum of the wheel. that front wheel is probably still spinning at 60mph after he hits the wall.

It sure looks like it gets traction and helps pull the car from the dirt. It's rotating backwards, slows, begins to rotate forward, then accelerates and throws all the dirt up as it pulls forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

toplitzin posted:

It sure looks like it gets traction and helps pull the car from the dirt. It's rotating backwards, slows, begins to rotate forward, then accelerates and throws all the dirt up as it pulls forward.

It just looks like it's spinning in the same direction the whole time to me. Are you watching the video on some non-60 Hz/motion smoothing display? :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Lord Lilf posted:

2015 Z06 leaks: panties drop world- wide.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-this-is-it-1499298030

Looks fuckin' hot.

I absolutely love the interior on these too.

Everything driver focused, easy to access. gently caress the passenger.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Powershift posted:

That's just the momentum of the wheel. that front wheel is probably still spinning at 60mph after he hits the wall.

I'm watching this on a $700 computer monitor and the wheel clearly accelerates.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

EightBit posted:

I'm watching this on a $700 computer monitor and the wheel clearly accelerates.

Is this a $600 exhaust joke or something?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Stealth Like posted:

Is this a $600 exhaust joke or something?

It's an attempt to dispel any suspicion that I'm using a cheap piece of poo poo that has smoothing always-on. It doesn't even have smoothing, just overdrive to compensate for the slow response of IPS displays.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrr0YH-dm6k

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Hey, the passenger gets a vent and some oh-poo poo handles. That should be all they need anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Linedance posted:

Like Mini who are a British brand that are technically German too.
They have an obsessive attachment to cringeworthy marketing that leverages their supposed Britishness well past the point of parody, too. The only good thing I have to say about new Minis is that they create a decent number of jobs in the areas where the factories are.

Potential AWD 'Vette chat - I think it's just the wheel spinning freely, I don't think there's anything driving it. Here's a closer look at the wrecked front end:

http://www.motorsport.com/alms/phot...571228&sz=1&s=2

doughboy1013
Apr 4, 2011

toplitzin posted:

The tire isn't rotating when the car position is sideways compared to the directional vector of the car. No force to accelerate/decelerate the tire in correlation to its desired rotational direction. Once the tire lines up with the vector the car is traveling on it speeds up to match the velocity of the car. Frictional forces cause the tire to accelerate to match the car's velocity, not an AWD driveline.

Didn't think this would be so hard to understand.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

doughboy1013 posted:

The tire isn't rotating when the car position is sideways compared to the directional vector of the car. No force to accelerate/decelerate the tire in correlation to its desired rotational direction. Once the tire lines up with the vector the car is traveling on it speeds up to match the velocity of the car. Frictional forces cause the tire to accelerate to match the car's velocity, not an AWD driveline.

Didn't think this would be so hard to understand.

Normally i would agree, but it either the angle of the shot or something that just trips my brain into saying "nope, something more than friction here folks."

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

toplitzin posted:

Normally i would agree, but it either the angle of the shot or something that just trips my brain into saying "nope, something more than friction here folks."

Except for the fact that those vetted are rwd. It's pretty easy to look up and see.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

TrueChaos posted:

Trying to keep my strong Corvette bias in check here, but the interior was always the thing people whined about, even though the Vette has better performance-per-dollar than almost anything else these days. GM made a $60k, 500hp monster that would eat the lunch of exotics four times the cost and people still whined about cheap "parts bin" switches. I kind of feel like someone at GM just said "fine, gently caress it; here's a beautiful interior, find something new to complain about".

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Valt posted:

Except for the fact that those vetted are rwd. It's pretty easy to look up and see.

2wd LeMans cars have gone 4wd (via KERS) lately, so this is not completely crazy.

I see what the guy's saying, to me it does look like there's a split-second where the wheel is going backward and stops right on the edge of the track, then the front really shoots some dirt back. I think it's just that the wheel is turned slightly into the direction of the slide, plus camera angle. Most of the dirt is actually going sideways, but as the sidewall digs in it is imparting spin, put them together and it looks like the wheel is flinging the dirt. It's a neat effect.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Some local drag racing photos.

No idea on the background on this one. Local 1/8th mile track up the road from me. (Mooresville, NC Dragway)

Another local one, different 1/8th track. The definition of torque

These next two are the same car with different setups. My son and I help out on the crew with a local Top Alcohol Funny Car racer. We're not a team capable of winning National Events, mostly match race stuff, but we win the occasional round here and there.(Still running a Roots Blower instead of a screw Blower) Mostly run tracks around the Southeast.

First round of the Fall Race at Zmax Dragway last September, There had been a power outage and we ran late so our crew communication got messed up. Someone didn't set the wheelie bars when we went in the water box and this happened. (Funny Cars should never be pointed this far up)

Again, this is the same car, with a different body on it. We use it to run match races at small tracks up and down the East Coast. This was at Capitol Raceway in Maryland.

Yes, it has working lights and sirens. Runs, the 1/8th mile in 3.8 to 4.0 seconds.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

TrueChaos posted:

Wow, uh... I can't possibly get three lemons in a row, can I?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do it. We need a thrilling conclusion to the Lutz/Volk slashfic.

Various blogs are claiming more specs got leaked on it and that yes, there is an automatic version with the new 8L90 eight-speed slushbox. Wheel/tire size is same as the C6 ZR1.

This honestly begs the question for me - can they even do a C7 ZR1 at this point? I suppose the C4 and C6 ZR1s didn't show up until later in their model runs when technology / GM had advanced enough to consider another 100hp on top of the previous king of the mountain.

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do it. We need a thrilling conclusion to the Lutz/Volk slashfic.

Various blogs are claiming more specs got leaked on it and that yes, there is an automatic version with the new 8L90 eight-speed slushbox. Wheel/tire size is same as the C6 ZR1.

This honestly begs the question for me - can they even do a C7 ZR1 at this point? I suppose the C4 and C6 ZR1s didn't show up until later in their model runs when technology / GM had advanced enough to consider another 100hp on top of the previous king of the mountain.

Here is my very shaky guess. Awhile ago Mark Reuss said to not rule out a hybrid Corvette. If, and that's a big if, they do another ZR1 is suspect it'll showcase a KERs style system but based off tech GM uses such as in the Volt.

It sounds dumb but head me out. GM supposedly tested out dct for the new Z06 but they couldn't find one that handle the torque. GM has also invested a lot into it's automatic transmissions. I'm willing to bet the 8-speed auto is going to be highlighted as it's crowning achievement in this car.

So where does this leave the ZR1?

A 700+ hp grand tourer with a KERs style system 8-speed auto just as good as a dct that get's great mileage and is easy to drive but also utterly bonkers when tracked.

Lord Lilf fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 13, 2014

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
dammit, double post from phone.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Lord Lilf posted:

Here is my very shaky guess. Awhile ago Mark Reuss said to not rule out a hybrid Corvette. If, and that's a big if, they do another ZR1 is suspect it'll showcase a KERs style system but based off tech GM uses such as in the Volt.

It sounds dumb but head me out. GM supposedly tested out dct for the new Z06 but they couldn't find one that handle the torque. GM has also invested a lot into it's automatic transmissions. I'm willing to bet the 8-speed auto is going to be highlighted as it's crowning achievement in this car.

A 700+ hp grand tourer with a KERs style system 8-speed auto just as good as a dct that get's great mileage and is easy to drive but also utterly bonkers when tracked.

I've always wondered about how far automatics have come. Has GM explored dual clutch stuff?

For content: my buddy decided to make his 370z engine bay a bit tighter.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 13, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lord Lilf posted:

It's not a bad idea, and it doesn't have to be used for a softie grand tourer. They'll probably be developing some kind of ERS for their lemans /endurance racing program, and that could trickle down into a limited run special performance model like the zr-1.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Not a chance. Buy one, then let me drive it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

No, of course not. I wouldn't go anywhere without a bag of sugar and gallon of water in the trunk, that's all.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

toplitzin posted:

Regardless of what the wheel may or may not be doing, an AWD GT3 Corvette is against the rules and I think scrutineering would be able to catch something as flagrant as some system powering the front wheels.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
You know, an ALMS paddock isn't like in F1, they let people (even people like me!) inside the garages and you can look at the cars in pretty close detail; the Corvettes were not running some AWD variant.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I kind of feel like someone at GM just said "fine, gently caress it; here's a beautiful interior, find something new to complain about".

They did. All I see in comments are "needs AWD and DCT" I guess for the people to whom a $50k car is just as out of reach as a 100k GT-R or a Veyron, it's all fantasy anyway so you may as well complain about something completely unrealistic.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Neptr posted:

Regardless of what the wheel may or may not be doing, an AWD GT3 Corvette is against the rules and I think scrutineering would be able to catch something as flagrant as some system powering the front wheels.

I didn't think it was AWD either, but there was :420: during the viewing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This is awesome:

This, I'm undecided:

http://trucktracks.com/en/

Probably awesome, though I want to see the home-built redneck copies.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

InitialDave posted:

This, I'm undecided:

They want :siren:$25,000:siren: for it. Just the kit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

InitialDave posted:

This, I'm undecided:

Considering what my street looks like right now, it's a great idea. I wonder if they make a set for an E46 BMW...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Trying to keep my strong Corvette bias in check here, but the interior was always the thing people whined about, even though the Vette has better performance-per-dollar than almost anything else these days. GM made a $60k, 500hp monster that would eat the lunch of exotics four times the cost and people still whined about cheap "parts bin" switches. I kind of feel like someone at GM just said "fine, gently caress it; here's a beautiful interior, find something new to complain about".

Jeremy Clarkson is still going to get in and tap his fingers all over, open and shut everything, and say something about how it feels cheap and Americans can't make interiors. Something something panel gap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

Considering what my street looks like right now, it's a great idea. I wonder if they make a set for an E46 BMW...

no, but they do make these for subarus

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jeremy Clarkson is still going to get in and tap his fingers all over, open and shut everything, and say something about how it feels cheap and Americans can't make interiors. Something something panel gap.

Pushes on the rear bumper, harsh ride, too wide, pushrods lol, not british blah blah wahhh.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

dreesemonkey posted:

Pushes on the rear bumper, harsh ride, too wide, pushrods lol, not british blah blah wahhh.

Then Hammond, sporting a cowboy hat..

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

InitialDave posted:

This is awesome:

I had one of these as a kid, looks like they haven't changed in decades. Can confirm they are awesome, along with hundreds of Hotwheels/Matchbox/etc cars

Didn't every AI kid have one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guinness posted:

I had one of these as a kid, looks like they haven't changed in decades. Can confirm they are awesome, along with hundreds of Hotwheels/Matchbox/etc cars

That's not a rug. That's carpet in the same pattern. Like, you could do the entire floor of a room in that pattern.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Guinness posted:

:( I never had one.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

"No, we were supposed to make a LEFT at the hot dog stand!"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Guinness posted:

I think you're missing the fact that what is pictures is not a rug. It's carpet. Also, I didn't have that particular road rug, but I did have a custom one that my aunt made.

Edit: dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Powershift posted:

That's not a rug. That's carpet in the same pattern. Like, you could do the entire floor of a room in that pattern.

Ohhhhhh drat, now I get it. gently caress that's awesome.