Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

McSpanky posted:

That issue of JSA where KC Superman met regular Superman that was pencilled by Ross but inked and colored like a regular comic was utterly gorgeous, I wouldn't mind a few specials a year done like that.

I'm not sure how to effectively Google for this, does anyone have an issue number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wendell posted:

I'm not sure how to effectively Google for this, does anyone have an issue number?

I think Wikipedia might have clues:

Starting with Justice Society of America #9, Kingdom Come Superman appears as a member of the Justice Society of America. The character also received a solo one-shot, Justice Society of America: Kingdom Come Special: Superman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(Kingdom_Come)

Looks like it's from November 2008, maybe: Ross, Alex (w). Justice Society of America Kingdom Come Special: Superman 1 (November, 2008), DC Comics

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Wasn't Justice Alex Ross painting over someone else's pencils? That was kind of neat too.

Too bad it was for a stupid love letter to the loving superfriends.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Thanks, prefect!

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Metal Loaf posted:

My favourite comic when I was little was Sonic the Comic, which I sperged over in the underrated runs thread. There were a few really great artists on the series and Richard Elson was probably the most prominent. He did this terrific version of Super Sonic as a fiendish killing machine, which was the focus of some of the comic's most popular stories.

Elson's done some brilliant work for 2000AD in recent years. This is from a one-off series called A.H.A.B. from 2004:

His two serials with Dan Abnett, Atavar and Kingdom are both also very good, although the latter has been stuck on a cliffhanger since 2011.

Actually, that's just reminded me of the weird TMNT comic that Fleetway also published, which alternated reprints of the Archie "TMNT Adventures" strips with their own Turtles strips, evidently based strictly on the cartoon's series bible. The "new" stories weren't all that, but they did have some very good artists contributing, Elson included.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Everytime I look at John Romita Jr's art I remember Mozgus from berserk

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Ka0 posted:

Everytime I look at John Romita Jr's art I remember Mozgus from berserk

If only there was a similar range of emotions and energy.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Choco1980 posted:

No, I remember that what happened is at cons post-Kingdom Come Ross would joke about wanting to do the same thing with Marvel. Then the jokes started sounding fun and he started sketching up ideas for future-Marvel guys as the other people got interested in the book. Then they created the story. And I personally think that Universe X was the better story of the trilogy (Paradise X was just nonsense) both for it's novel ideas, and it's "unified theory of the Marvel Universe" (Up to the official handbooks from the mid-80's).

Such a shame Earth X ended so badly. It had potential to really be as genre-shaking as Kingdom Come.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Such a shame Earth X ended so badly. It had potential to really be as genre-shaking as Kingdom Come.

Eh, not really.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Peter seems to have suffered some brain damage from being dead so long.

Edit:

Also. Slott talking about how hard it was to lie to everyone. Lord. Did anyone really think Peter wouldn't be back?

sporklift fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 12, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

From the way the thread went at the time. Yes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wait is DocOck not Spider-man anymore?

How'd that happen? Was it Dr Strange? gently caress you Dr. Strange.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

No one knows.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Drifter posted:

It was bad writing that made it happen, we all know this.

Also some people call Ramos "dynamic" but he's just awful. You want dynamic Spider-man? Eric Canete nailed that already.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RevKrule posted:

Also some people call Ramos "dynamic" but he's just awful. You want dynamic Spider-man? Eric Canete nailed that already.

W-wait, how is he doing that with his left arm? :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RevKrule posted:

Oooh! I always wanted to do this!

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

RevKrule posted:

Does... does he have a snout?!? :stonk:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's not Spider-man that's a Protoss cosplaying Spider-man!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RevKrule posted:

That's too wonky but at least Canete has handle on motion, etc. Ramos just draws awful poo poo.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I like Stuart Immonen going into thick outlines

Manapul doing a Williams III

80s-90s Romita Jr. :swoon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which major Marvel series has JRJR not been the regular artist for? Fantastic Four? He must have done just about all of them at one point or another.

Is he the most prolific Marvel artist since Kirby?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Metal Loaf posted:

Which major Marvel series has JRJR not been the regular artist for? Fantastic Four? He must have done just about all of them at one point or another.

Is he the most prolific Marvel artist since Kirby?

He's the most widespread, but he's remembered more than most because he's done a lot of classic stories over the course of 35 years. You're right, though; he's never been the regular artist for FF.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apparentl JRJR has never seen a supercar in person. That thing would be monstrous next to anything but like a NIssan GT-R which doesn't really qualify.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
pre:
Homer Simpson couldn't find a car to meet his exacting standards.
                                                              So he built one.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 14, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Apparentl JRJR has never seen a supercar in person. That thing would be monstrous next to anything but like a NIssan GT-R which doesn't really qualify.

Pretty sure any car that has a flight mode is gonna be monstrous by necessity.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 14, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Pretty sure any car that has a flight mode is gonna be monstrous by necessity.

It was the 80s. The 5 gig hard drive was probably bigger than the transmission.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lobok posted:

It was the 80s. The 5 gig hard drive was probably bigger than the transmission.

Every time I hear some baby boomer whine about how we don't have moonbases, I slap them with a cellphone. Then I tell them that if we did have moonbases they would have just died.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

DarkCrawler posted:

Every time I hear some baby boomer whine about how we don't have moonbases, I slap them with a cellphone. Then I tell them that if we did have moonbases they would have just died.

"I have, here in my hand, a persistent connection to all of human knowledge. I'm telekinetic and telepathic. Don't believe me? I can use it to cast Summon Food, right now. Or I can contact a friend - or even a stranger - and know, immediately, what he's thinking. We live in the loving future. You would've crashed your stupid loving flying car anyway."

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

I would kill for this as a poster. Has Romita Jr done anything this good in recent years?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I like the look of the new Captain America, but I seem to be the minority.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I loved that first Remender Cap arc.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe. It WOULD be nice to be exploiting all the resources up in space, though.

The supercar bit we've got going here is reminding me of something....something old...

That was it! That damm Stinger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00pxJAH9iUQ

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bloodly posted:

Maybe. It WOULD be nice to be exploiting all the resources up in space, though.

I don't know why nerds are so enamored with the idea of humanity spreading out like a swarm of locusts across the universe, consuming all in their path. I'd rather we learn to live on earth without turning it into a dumpster first.

Anyway, we'd need to figure out how to make space travel not so goddamn resource-expensive before space mining becomes something more than a really stupid pipe dream/extremely awesome sci fi trope.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why nerds are so enamored with the idea of humanity spreading out like a swarm of locusts across the universe, consuming all in their path. I'd rather we learn to live on earth without turning it into a dumpster first.

Because it's badass. The evil space locust race that consumes every star system in their path always gets the coolest-looking spaceships. :colbert:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
We are the annihilation wave.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

Because it's badass. The evil space locust race that consumes every star system in their path always gets the coolest-looking spaceships. :colbert:

We need to discover how to harness the Destiny Force first.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Maybe is just because we've had nearly a year of lovely art on Red Hood but the preview pages with Noel Rodriguez' art look fantastic and fit perfectly the tone of the book:

Shame Noel is working with such a lovely writer :(

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

If fantastic means really generic DC house style with weird perspectives then yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Maybe is just because we've had nearly a year of lovely art on Red Hood but the preview pages with Noel Rodriguez' art look fantastic and fit perfectly the tone of the book:

You really need to start reading other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Shame Noel is working with such a lovely writer :(

If the tone of the book is "ugly poo poo" than I agree wholeheartedly.