Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Azhais posted:

Kinda like they took the entire plotline for Mass Effect from Star Control 3
That's not possible, no one actually played Star Control 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Star Control 3 isn't as bad as everybody thinks. It's a perfectly fine game; its main fault not being able to live up to its legendary predecessor. :colbert:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 13, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I played and enjoyed SC3. I still have to resist the urge to talk like the Daktaklakpak from time to time.

AVOWAL

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

If the tech that they used to resurrect Coulson was a shady HYDRA invention with unknown (or known-and-horrible) side-effects, that might be enough to make them want to hide it. Continuing questionable HYDRA research and lying about it was a big plot point in Avengers, so we know SHIELD would do it.

Or since we know the Marvel movie universe's overarching plot is tied in to the Infinity gems, perhaps one of them is involved in some way, and they absolutely can not reveal that they have it for various reasons.

This could fit in nicely with my theory about Roxxon being the group behind Centipede... doesn't SHIELD use Roxxon tech or have a contract or something in the Ultimate universe?

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Bill Paxton will get a recurring role in at least four episodes of ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., starting in late February or early March. He will play Agent John Garrett.

Executive producer Jed Whedon said: "We wanted to bring in a rough-and-tumble former cohort of Agent Coulson [Clark Gregg] with a little bit of attitude and cigar-smoking swagger."

In the comic Elektra: Assassin, S.H.I.E.L.D. turned Garrett into a cyborg to save his life after he was injured on the job.

Whedon added: "When Garrett got his promotion to Level 7, he refused to sit behind a desk and doesn't like the formalities of S.H.I.E.L.D. He's going to help Coulson solve some mysteries and is not afraid to rig an explosive or two."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bill Paxton is a great get. It'll be interesting having two people on the show who can act.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Game Over, man. Game Over!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Bill Paxton is a great get. It'll be interesting having two people on the show who can act.

Hey! Ming Na Wen CAN act! She's just, ummm, not choosing to on this show or something? :doh:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

jng2058 posted:

Hey! Ming Na Wen CAN act! She's just, ummm, not choosing to on this show or something? :doh:

I assume it is the direction, not the actress.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, you have a point there. The direction for much of AoS is pretty bland and boring. There've been moments that were pretty good, but a lot of it is forgettable.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm just judging people based on how they are on the show. I imagine any of them could be doing better if they had more of a character to work with. I have hopes that Bill Paxton is good enough to bring interesting detail beyond what the script and direction provides.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I watched most of ER and Ming Na was the same terrible actress on it as she is on this, so unless she magically got better then stopped no, she's just a terrible actress.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jng2058 posted:

I'm calling bullshit. I've seen her in a bunch of stuff and she could get out-acted by Kristen Stewart.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Toshimo posted:

I'm calling bullshit. I've seen her in a bunch of stuff and she could get out-acted by Kristen Stewart.

Kristen Stewart is an amazing actress and can portray disaffected adolescence like nobody's business.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've seen more emotion from Kristen Stewart in the trailers for her movies then I have from Ming Na on every episode of this show. Low emotion > NO emotion.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Midnight City posted:

I watched most of ER and Ming Na was the same terrible actress on it as she is on this, so unless she magically got better then stopped no, she's just a terrible actress.

I just don't see what she could be doing differently in this. She's playing the type of comic book character that is only ever drawn with one facial expression, except for maybe an occasional panel of "dramatic" side-eye or a raised eyebrow. In a comic I'm sure we'd get some internal monologue or maybe a flashback panel during her fight scenes, but that's not an option here. So instead I think her big character moment so far has been, uh, standing in an open doorway with a bottle of booze?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was the time she smiled.

I don't have to specify, it was only once.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

The one in the end tag after the prank right? Is it sad that this is not a joke?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

On top of Ward?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The one in the end tag after the prank right? Is it sad that this is not a joke?

That's the only one I can recall, yeah.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I just don't see what she could be doing differently in this. She's playing the type of comic book character that is only ever drawn with one facial expression, except for maybe an occasional panel of "dramatic" side-eye or a raised eyebrow. In a comic I'm sure we'd get some internal monologue or maybe a flashback panel during her fight scenes, but that's not an option here. So instead I think her big character moment so far has been, uh, standing in an open doorway with a bottle of booze?

She could try talking with a Canadian accent or a million other things good actors do to make a generic role their own instead of just showing up and reading a script like an emotionless robot.

She literally gives away her newborn baby for adoption on ER and has the exact same expression.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, the writing has done her exactly 0 favors, in part because like every other character except for Coulson and Skye, the writers seem to not have any kind of plan for her. Playing a smug/tough character that barely speaks is already challenging enough, but it's significantly harder when the character hasn't actually gotten any meaningful development to help sell their toughness to the audience.

So far we mainly see her pilot the plane, drive the van, and babysit the kids. I mean, Ward is just a straight up Generic Action Man, but at least we see him go on missions, jump out of airplanes, etc, so when he does the tough guy act it's at least somewhat believable. All we have for May is the dumb cavalry story and the handful of scenes of her fighting/taking down a couple of normal dudes. That's not nearly enough to establish her as this cold super agent that doesn't have the time to chat because she's too busy being badass.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aphrodite posted:

It wasn't that bad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

May's tai chi conversation with Coulson showed that Ming can act in some small capacity beyond "look vaguely threatening and do own fight scenes", so I'm willing to cut her a little slack here. VDay beat me to the punch on the other relevant point, that the show is barely giving her anything for any actor in her position to sink their teeth into, and she may in fact be ordered by writing and/or directing to generally suppress emotional displays on top of that. More asinine creative decisions have happened -- on the set of Star Trek Voyager, the human characters' actors were told to act more bland so the alien characters would seem more vibrant and interesting. :doh:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

VDay posted:

To be fair, the writing has done her exactly 0 favors, in part because like every other character except for Coulson and Skye, the writers seem to not have any kind of plan for her. Playing a smug/tough character that barely speaks is already challenging enough, but it's significantly harder when the character hasn't actually gotten any meaningful development to help sell their toughness to the audience.

So far we mainly see her pilot the plane, drive the van, and babysit the kids. I mean, Ward is just a straight up Generic Action Man, but at least we see him go on missions, jump out of airplanes, etc, so when he does the tough guy act it's at least somewhat believable. All we have for May is the dumb cavalry story and the handful of scenes of her fighting/taking down a couple of normal dudes. That's not nearly enough to establish her as this cold super agent that doesn't have the time to chat because she's too busy being badass.

I thought there might be more character development for May and Ward both in the aftermath of that Asgardian artifact's mind trip, but instead it seems to have been "resolved" by just having them bone off screen some unspecified number of times without ever having a private conversation.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Today's villain, the Polar Vortex.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
of course SHIELD has its own line of towels

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Soothing Vapors posted:

of course SHIELD has its own line of towels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI
I hope they have their own line of Flamethrowers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ward : NERRRRRRRRRRRRRDS!!!!! :argh:

Bucky! :911:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ha, Bucky shoutout.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If SHIELD put up a memorial to every agent killed in the line of duty it would make the Vietnam memorial look puny.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Centipede isn't Hydra or AIM. :argh:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
well, so much for Centipede being AIM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think that excludes them at all. For all they know, Hydra and AIM are defunct.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Can't they just pay one of the extras in the crowd $5 to scream instead of using that stock female shriek that everyone uses? It's the female Wilhelm.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are black curtains more sinister than tinting?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Sciences figures it out, but Operations smashes the poo poo out of it. :black101:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Why did the crowd start applauding at that? What the hell. :psyduck:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Good thing they had a heroic field agent like Action Man around to perform the dangerous tasks of looking under the chair then kicking the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Why did the crowd start applauding at that? What the hell. :psyduck:

Because SCIENCE!

Ooh look they have an orgy room.

• Locked thread