Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Nohman posted:

I've been reading a bunch of Patrick's articles lately and have concluded that man... there needs to be some sort of concentrated effort to get that dude to go play Nier. That seems to be just the type of weird obscure but super interesting thing right up that guy's alley.

As someone who's legitimate favorite game ever is Nier I am so behind this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I always wanted to check out Nier until I watched a reviewer break down on YouTube at the fishing segment.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Justin McElroy is a huge baby and one of the most stereotypical video game journalist around, do not let his idiocy prevent you from trying a cool game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kasonic posted:

I always wanted to check out Nier until I watched a reviewer break down on YouTube at the fishing segment.

The trick to the fishing segment is "look at the X on your map and fish there you idiot."

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Justin McElroy is a huge baby and one of the most stereotypical video game journalist around, do not let his idiocy prevent you from trying a cool game

Word.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

flatluigi posted:

The trick to the fishing segment is "look at the X on your map and fish there you idiot."

The loving dude even says to go there as well. I'm really not surprised someone who now works at polygon couldn't figure it out.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

randombattle posted:

The loving dude even says to go there as well. I'm really not surprised someone who now works at polygon couldn't figure it out.

Video Game Journalism.

Edit: Literally 100% of that game you have a mini-map on screen and it tells you where to go for the active quest. The man whom gives you the fishing quest, if spoken to again goes "no dude I am the loving master fisherman, you are not catching poo poo here newbie. Go to the beach down the way I told you about and marked on your map."

Justin McElroy is human garbage. You should know this by this point.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 12, 2014

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
NieR is definitively one of my favorites this generation. Wish more people would have given it a chance. Of course I think the only people that know about that game are goons who read The Dark Id's LP ( I know that's what got me to buy it)

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
It took me a couple of minutes to figure out the fishing thing as well. I guess the difference is when I looked at the mini-map and realised I was in the wrong spot I just said to myself "wow I'm an idiot", then I went on to really enjoy the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finally getting around to listening to the podcast, and man, one giant sandwich that takes a 40-man raid to eat sounds like my kind of party.

PUNCH ME IN THE STOMACH! I NEED TO VOMIT!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

404notfound posted:

Finally getting around to listening to the podcast, and man, one giant sandwich that takes a 40-man raid to eat sounds like my kind of party.

PUNCH ME IN THE STOMACH! I NEED TO VOMIT!

Every loving time they cut to the Sony CES keynote is pure gold. Just like the best luck coming in on the stupidest sentences.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I kinda wish that they would stream in news or press audio from time to time, it gives it a sort of talk show radio feel.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

The Dark Id posted:

Justin McElroy is human garbage.
Please don't insult refuse like that, it still has plenty of uses and value and can be redeemed with recycling and doesn't deserve such a comparison.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Justin's really loving funny on MBMAM but he's definitely not cut out for games journalism.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
I mean that Nier thing isn't even being bad at games that's just being loving stupid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Nier is a fantastic game (though parts of it sure are), but yeah, I never had problems with that quest. I'd be loving ashamed of myself if I turned in a review like that.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Nier was really boring and dumb you guys.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Regardless of your dumb bad opinions giving a game a 0 exclusively due to your inability to follow instructions is pretty loving stupid

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Nier was cool, and had a busty chick with a cockandballs? Goty

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I totally fished at the pier for a while before even thinking to check the minimap. :downs: It only took a few minutes of that to realize what a dumbass I was being though, it's crazy to just throw your hands up on a game you're reviewing over something like that.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Nier is up there for some of the best videogame music ever composed and a lot of the inference-plot stuff that went on to make Dark Souls super cool.

Sure its gameplay may be crushingly mediocre but you can't have everything.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't really enjoy Nier very much, the storyline was very predictable and the only character I really liked was Emil. Nier himself is a very stereotypical father character and I found Kaine's personality grating even in her storyline Tyrann was better when he was called Gig in Soul Nomad. The soundtrack is ostensibly pretty good, but it's kind of ruined by the loops, especially the dungeon music since you'll be hearing it for room after room of lovely combat. Cool bosses though, and I did like the desert dungeon a lot (block puzzles that were actually kind of fun, shock and awe).

At least it was trying, which is more than you can say for most games.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Nier was super fun and I am legit excited for Drakengard 3.

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
What's the thread title a reference to?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

LoboLoboLobo posted:

What's the thread title a reference to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nN6TfobhkY

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Go to 34:30 if you want the relevant segment, but the whole video is great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I didn't really enjoy Nier very much, the storyline was very predictable and the only character I really liked was Emil. Nier himself is a very stereotypical father character and I found Kaine's personality grating even in her storyline Tyrann was better when he was called Gig in Soul Nomad. The soundtrack is ostensibly pretty good, but it's kind of ruined by the loops, especially the dungeon music since you'll be hearing it for room after room of lovely combat. Cool bosses though, and I did like the desert dungeon a lot (block puzzles that were actually kind of fun, shock and awe).

At least it was trying, which is more than you can say for most games.

How the hell is it predictable? I don't think Nier is a perfect game, but THAT'S not a complaint you can really levy against it. It's way too abstract and weird. It's like saying the ending of Dragon's Dogma is predictable.

There's an entire section where it becomes a rudimentary text adventure for no reason.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

There's an entire section where it becomes a rudimentary text adventure for no reason.

Oh well if you're talking about some of the episodic stuff like that then yeah, but come one shades being people, the truth behind the Shadow Lord, all that poo poo was SUPER obvious, as was Tyrann's eventual arc.

Ending D was pretty out there I'll admit

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If "story was predictable" was 100% of how you judge a game, all video games would score a 0.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

If "story was predictable" was 100% of how you judge a game, all video games would score a 0.

It's like seeing "takes itself too seriously" as a complaint against something.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 13, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The gameplay was mediocre and the other stuff didn't really impress me. I don't know what you guys want me to say.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I don't think neir was any good either but i'm not gonna say "predictable plot" as a bad thing. "loving stupid go nowhere story written by a high schooler" is a good metric to use, though.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
Post-apocalypse dad dooms humanity to get back his daughter with a rotating pack of assholes helping him out. Nier is really just anime The Last of Us.

Except with better gameplay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone have a link to the proto Flight Club video where Drew took Dave and Vinny through how to start up a World War 2 bomber for 45 minutes before they finally got it in the air? It's not archived on the site and only on twitch.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Really, you can reduce any story down to two key events. 1) There is a plot. 2) There is a conclusion to a plot.

As such, I just cannot see why people can ever be surprised with stories, as they are just so predictable. I feel this work can only merit a 7/10 at best because of this.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jimbot posted:

Anyone have a link to the proto Flight Club video where Drew took Dave and Vinny through how to start up a World War 2 bomber for 45 minutes before they finally got it in the air? It's not archived on the site and only on twitch.

If you find it I'll put it on Youtube. gently caress twitch

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGCbNs6Qb60

In terms of random streams, this was the best 2nd best. Forgot about Giant Bomb After Hours

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is something wrong with jeff, has brad been giving his lesssons, every quickloook in 2014 has been pretty brad even though brad hasnt been playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOUxmh_YfY&feature=player_detailpage#t=555

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

coolskillrex remix posted:

Is something wrong with jeff, has brad been giving his lesssons, every quickloook in 2014 has been pretty brad even though brad hasnt been playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOUxmh_YfY&feature=player_detailpage#t=555

I liked Jeff's complete dismissal of Vinny's "I dunno maybe you play as Link in SMB later on" suggestion because they do exactly that but with Link in Donkey Kong just a stage or two after what they played. Not defending NES Remix's slow start just found that funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nier's predictability is sort of a point in its favor, in any case. For the latter half of the game you get the feeling that what you're doing isn't totally on the up-and-up, and that feeling just grows and grows until the curtain finally pulls back and weelllp, everything is terrible.

• Locked thread