Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

Dude, it's just a Dobro. Are we going to just start saying that every drat guitar ever made is ugly now?

No that's a dumb dobro bass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

over $10,000 for this. and it's a 6 string fretless lol

and this is a lemmy signature rickenbacker wthhh

VVV word i only tolerate that on $200 danelectros

mclast fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 13, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

over $10,000 for this. and it's a 6 string fretless lol

$10k for a non-intonatable bridge, awesome.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

word i only tolerate that on $200 danelectros

The intonation won't matter because tone!!!

I am totally torn about this... It comes with a stethoscope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oB1CQlZA3Y

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

$10k for a non-intonatable bridge, awesome.

It's a fretless so it's not like the intonation is ever gonna be spot on to begin with.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

It's a fretless so it's not like the intonation is ever gonna be spot on to begin with.

Huh, I totally overlooked it was fretless, I just saw the inlays, doh.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

The intonation won't matter because tone!!!

I am totally torn about this... It comes with a stethoscope.

we carry those trevellers at my store. the action's always just ok but they do sound pretty good. i'd like this one if i thought it made sense to spend money on a guitar just for travelling

edit:

a kitten posted:

people, people
The bands I like are the good ones the other ones are overrated at best

from early last page but man, yeah that's how opinions work and when i drink i get talkative

FURTHERMORE nine inch nails has always been on the periphery of my experience, share some influences with bands i really like, and don't seem to have influenced anyone i really like. so,

mclast fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 13, 2014

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

man thats gross posted:

how about the spaceranger

still in production

A band saw and a belt sander and a little more paint annnnnnd... it is still kinda ugly.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

another eyesore that i'd love to own. probably posted by someone else at some point but gently caress it, it is gloriously hideous. dipinto galaxie 4

White Dog Eggs posted:

What is going on with that guitar? Looks like someone attacked it with a sheet sander...

i think it's the dude from local h's guitar. i'm assuming it's natural and not the result of possibly the worst relic job ever though if it has been relic'd i guess that actually makes it a "good" relic since i honestly can't even tell the difference between if someone tried to make it look like it was thrown out of a moving train or if it actually was.

guitar nerd poo poo: i personally love the bridge mod there most of all because it's almost really smart. he hardtailed the low E string presumably so it wouldn't be effected by the tremolo because he's got a mustang bass pickup in the neck position that is picking up that string (not sure what the p-bass pickup is doing there) and running it out to its own output and then probably into an octave pedal, etc. the problem is, jazzmasters/jags are designed so that the bridge rocks with the motion of the trem, so it's still going to be effected somewhat but still a cool idea for this specific application.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I missed the black on black discussion but, I just got a free 80's knockoff MIJ Stratocaster that I submit for judgement.

It says Profile Black Magic under all that scuz.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Occupy Japan posted:

i think it's the dude from local h's guitar. i'm assuming it's natural and not the result of possibly the worst relic job ever though if it has been relic'd i guess that actually makes it a "good" relic since i honestly can't even tell the difference between if someone tried to make it look like it was thrown out of a moving train or if it actually was.

I would bet my balls that the finish was sanded off at some point, paint doesn't come off like that.

Occupy Japan posted:

guitar nerd poo poo: i personally love the bridge mod there most of all because it's almost really smart. he hardtailed the low E string presumably so it wouldn't be effected by the tremolo because he's got a mustang bass pickup in the neck position that is picking up that string (not sure what the p-bass pickup is doing there) and running it out to its own output and then probably into an octave pedal, etc. the problem is, jazzmasters/jags are designed so that the bridge rocks with the motion of the trem, so it's still going to be effected somewhat but still a cool idea for this specific application.

Those Jazzmaster bridges are odd, I've never actually worked on one before, but I've been told they are hideous sustain killing contraption and you have to dip them in wax to stop everything rattling.

Jedrick posted:

I missed the black on black discussion but, I just got a free 80's knockoff MIJ Stratocaster that I submit for judgement.

Please tell me you got it from the guy in your avatar.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Jedrick posted:

Geez. At first I thought that was some kind of rattlecan holocaust, but apparently it was made that way?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Clitch posted:

Geez. At first I thought that was some kind of rattlecan holocaust, but apparently it was made that way?

Paint 666 on it in red paint.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

White Dog Eggs posted:

Paint 666 on it in red paint.

I'm considering painting on an inverse pentagram with some bullshit "runes" in the area below the tone knob if I can find paint that matches the wikkid orange-red stripe. It's already the Black Magic so I figure it can become Satan Guitar. It may be ugly, albeit in a somewhat charming way, but it's a solid guitar and I'm pretty stoked to have it.

Edit: Too bad coated stings are awful, or I would get black strings for maximum blackness.

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 13, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rattlecan Holocaust is my new favorite band name.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Jedrick posted:

Oddly enough, there's an actual reason that thing has tape gunk all over the logo: Apparently at some gigs where the bands will be taped, whatever guitar company is sponsoring the event will decree that no logos other than its own can show up on camera. Everyone with another company's guitars has to cover the logo up. The LP copy I bought off a dude on Craigslist had tape gunk over the logo for that reason.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

I would bet my balls that the finish was sanded off at some point, paint doesn't come off like that.

Those Jazzmaster bridges are odd, I've never actually worked on one before, but I've been told they are hideous sustain killing contraption and you have to dip them in wax to stop everything rattling.

Please tell me you got it from the guy in your avatar.

The Jazzmaster bridge is... Interesting. It's workable but the biggest flaw is the threaded saddles

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

The Jazzmaster bridge is... Interesting. It's workable but the biggest flaw is the threaded saddles

I made the mistake of buying a Jaguar as my first guitar. They're good guitars, but NEVER suggest them to someone starting out. The day I traded it in towards my Strat was a happy day.

The biggest problem with that thing is that they added way too many ways to adjust it, making it way more complex than other bridges. You can adjust the following: string spacing, individual saddle height, bridge height, and intonation. Sounds awesome on paper, but in practice it just means that setting it up is a goddamned chore due to the number of variables involved. Never mind that the many moving parts in the system have a tendency to rattle loose, which means you need Loctite just to keep things stable. Dropping a Mustang bridge in removes the saddle height and string spacing variables, eliminating most of the issues. Unfortunately, newer Jazzmasters and Jaguars have a different fretboard radius than the originals, which means the drop-in mustang bridge fix doesn't work. (You can purchase third-party Mustang bridges with adjustable saddles that allow you to work with any radius, thankfully.)

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that's an example of the biggest truism in music: you don't need 20 different options, just 3 good ones

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

I'm surprised that no one posted any Italia guitars yet.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

here's some words about fender offsets:

i've got a fender cij jazzmaster and a cij jaguar and i haven't had too many problems with them other than the tremolo bar on the jazz not wanting to stay in properly because of the asstarded pop-in instead of screw-in design. a lot of problems people have with jazzmasters and especially jaguars (because of the shorter scale) stems from them not realizing the the guitars and therefor also the bridges were made before light gauged guitar strings came on the market and are meant to have huge-rear end strings on them. they just aren't made for 9's or really even 10's (but you can kinda get away with 10's on a jazzmaster).

i have 11's on my jazzmaster and 12's on my jaguar and both have the stupid threaded bridge and all that and they don't buzz or rattle or have string jumping or anything. the bridge and more specifically the break angle doesn't lend itself to tons of sustain but again with higher gauge strings you make up for it somewhat. i'm thinking of buying buzzstops for both to increase the break angle and then going down a string size to 10's and 11's respectively. gently caress playing on 12's for more than a few minutes. ouch.

lovely pic from even shittier cellphone but here is my jazzmaster (with red tort pickguard because i am a poser piece of poo poo and was trying to make it look like belinda butcher's jazzmaster from some mbv video):

and here is my jaguar and also a different couch:

and here is an awful, blurry pic of the most poorly thought out bridge of all time:

the usual fix for the dumb awful bridge is to either swap it out for a mustang bridge and/or to wrap tape around the posts to prevent it from rocking back and forth (pretty much can't use the tremolo if you do this since the tremolo is made so that the bridge rocks). also a lot of people end up having to cut off part of the saddle screws (since they're angled up and, if you have to crank the saddle back too far to intonate (which you will have to with thicker strings), they'll hit the strings and cause buzzing) - you can also just turn the bridge around like I did on my jag. if a mustang bridge isn't available, tune-o-matics can be used too but they're basically impossible to find in fender radii. mosrite-type roller bridges are my personal ideal replacement since they drop in and have very close to the right radius (9" vs. 9.5") but you have to shim the neck.

long story short leo fender was clearly smoking meth when he designed this poo poo. compare all that gobbledygook with "string guitar, adjust trem springs so the bridge floats off the body by ~the height of a quarter when tuned to pitch, play guitar" for stratocasters and yeah. don't get me wrong i love fender offsets but goddamn they are possibly the most over-engineered guitars ever loving made

Occupy Japan fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 13, 2014

Bolek
May 1, 2003

actually the real solution is buy a guitar with a string through and a tunomatic and don't ever gently caress with the bridge ever hth

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

Bolek posted:

actually the real solution is buy a guitar with a string through and a tunomatic and don't ever gently caress with the bridge ever hth

less holes in body = better than. here is the best style of bridge ever made. :colbert:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Come on. You can do better than a bridge cover on a strat. We can't possibly be running that low on lovely guitars.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

still the best fret markers ever gently caress the haters

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

That looks like an Eve Online spaceship

pew pew

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jedrick posted:

I'm considering painting on an inverse pentagram with some bullshit "runes" in the area below the tone knob if I can find paint that matches the wikkid orange-red stripe. It's already the Black Magic so I figure it can become Satan Guitar. It may be ugly, albeit in a somewhat charming way, but it's a solid guitar and I'm pretty stoked to have it.

Edit: Too bad coated stings are awful, or I would get black strings for maximum blackness.

I was going to suggest painting a wicked sick inverted cross on the headstock, but you should just put a picture of Glen Benton from Deicide on the headstock or inside the pentagram.

Zonekeeper posted:

Oddly enough, there's an actual reason that thing has tape gunk all over the logo: Apparently at some gigs where the bands will be taped, whatever guitar company is sponsoring the event will decree that no logos other than its own can show up on camera. Everyone with another company's guitars has to cover the logo up. The LP copy I bought off a dude on Craigslist had tape gunk over the logo for that reason.

This is 100% true, I've had experience of this. A friend of mine who is in a metal band owns one of my guitars and a major guitar company (can't say which because I don't want to get him in trouble, starts with a G though.) tried to get him to put their logo over mine on his guitar as it was an explorer-type shape (remember, the company totally began with a G). He compromised by putting tape over the headstock. He's now contractually obliged to play nothing but this brands guitars on stage and he hates it because their guitars are terrible. Bummed me out for a while as it would have been some pretty sweet advertising for me.

Occupy Japan posted:

less holes in body = better than. here is the best style of bridge ever made. :colbert:

Hardtails are my favourite type of bridges to fit as they are so easy to fit, people prefer string-thru though. Those wrap-around bridges are pretty good too, but they can be a bit of a turd to intonate sometimes.

xd posted:

I'm surprised that no one posted any Italia guitars yet.

Italia Guitars are excellent value for money. Very well built, but hardly anyone likes them because they look insanely european.

quote:

Good stuff about Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridges

It's nice to hear this stuff off sane people rather than guitar forums as I actually trust you lot. Guitar forums are horrible places.

I need to see the rest of that guitar. That bridge is loopy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bolek posted:

tremolos are dope and i will never give them up yo

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

White Dog Eggs posted:

I need to see the rest of that guitar. That bridge is loopy.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

I'd be so tempted to cut through those strings with a pair of garden shears. It'd probably take a week to restring.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
We're running low on ugly guitars. Can this thread be about ugly musicians now?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

tremolos are dope and i will never give them up yo

Fun guitar sperg fact; Trem bridges are horrible for sustain, I wouldn't recommend a trem unless you actually use it. You can get trem bridges that lock down when you want, they aren't a bad compromise.

Someone put a lot of effort into making this and that makes me feel odd. That guitar is loving absurd on multiple levels.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 13, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

We're running low on ugly guitars. Can this thread be about ugly musicians now?

Also anything involving Man'o'War.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

White Dog Eggs posted:

Also anything involving Man'o'War.

guitars custom made for Man O War...
by none other than our dearest ED ROMAN

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

You spin me right round.

This guitar has a weird crotch bulge.

Scissor me timbers!

Animal print on everything.

mclast posted:

i was really, really into Primus in highschool. Seen them a handful of times when Herb rejoined the band in between '04 and '06, and the Fancy Band once (bass, drum, percussion, sitar, saxophone - their cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond was pretty alright). he's been getting more and more into the jamband scene for over a decade now, and i saw Primus with jay layne at a festival a few years ago and it was like seeing an old girlfriend, 'oh, nice, you're still alive and that's good. welp bye'

I went through a really weird Primus thing from Jr. High into my early 20s. I got really into that band as a drummer, guitarist, and bassist. I thought they were so awesome and saw them on the Brown Album tour and a couple of those reunion shows with Tim but holy poo poo, all that jam band poo poo was so loving boring. I even ate up all of the side/solo projects that claypool did but after Col. Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade (and whatever variation depending on who was playing with them) got boring, I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I Might Be Adam fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

I Might Be Adam posted:

You spin me right round.

I quite like this, it'd sell pretty fast too!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

Fun guitar sperg fact; Trem bridges are horrible for sustain, I wouldn't recommend a trem unless you actually use it. You can get trem bridges that lock down when you want, they aren't a bad compromise.

what about those big ole tremolo blocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Fair Hallion posted:

guitars custom made for Man O War...
by none other than our dearest ED ROMAN

ahahaha Ed Roman's still a thing? Cool because there's been such a rash of lovely custom guitar companies (Invictus, Acacia, Halo a little bit) that I thought would go under, but if Ed's still in the game, clearly you can charge up the rear end for whatever and people will still come to you if it's poo poo

• Locked thread