Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Broke it :( Baja decided it wasn't having anymore of this -35°C business and developed horrifying transmission noises. It's parked for the rest of winter, time to save up for a 6spd swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Not today but this past weekend.
2006 dodge magnum sxt
Sway bar bushings
Strut mounts
1 inner tierod
Egr gasket
Pcv valve
Valve cover gaskets
Sparkplug well seals
Sparkplugs
Now to find a shop that will squeeze me in for a quick alignment don't have much hope for that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

StormDrain posted:

I had some of that teen below weather last month, delightful stuff. You let the engine warm up and the heat blow, then shift into gear and it feels like molasses.

GL-5 is always fun in the cold, last time I had to pop the cover on a diff (I suspected stripped spider gears, it turned out to be a blown transfer case... that sucked) in the cold it was like 10 degrees. Even preheating the bottle of lube, getting it into the drat diff was hell, it was like squeezing peanut butter out of a jar. So of course some spilled.

Picked it up and stuffed it in through the fill port, problem solved :smug: it didn't even really stick to my fingers.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oil change, added some coolant, waiting on new thermostat and gasket to fix the leak. Maybe I will have heat again after as well.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Since I'm still broken to hell, and its too cold to do anything outside (while on antibiotics, at least), I decided to finally start one of my 'hope I finish this before I die' projects. This one: Convert EU corner lamps to be both blinkers and DRLs as it is in the US market. US is on left, EU on right.

I forgot to take a pic before drilling pilot holes, but its not really that exciting, anyhow:

About an hour and change later with the $7 $10 Harbor Freight Dremel rotary tool kit:

Seals nice and tight:

Yes, I still have the other side to do, but since this is a first generation 95, the taillight clusters don't have orange in them (I've already replaced the courtesy side flashers). :hydrogen:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 7, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ignoarints posted:

I moved to an apartment complex and while nice (to me) and having a detached garage... I'm very suddenly demotivated to do any basic work to my car. Like I need to put in one control arm bushing, cut out my old blower motor and put a new one in, put in a new intercooler coupler... are there any Dallas goons that know of a good shop or, something, for this sort of stuff? I'm really dreading this bushing man.

What kind of car, and whereabouts in Dallas?

I know a really good shop in Denton if it's an import and you don't mind making the drive - I've known the owner for 15 years, and he's worked on every car I've owned except for the F-150 and the Saturn. His father in law owns a great Honda shop in Lewisville as well.

If you're up for renting a bay and doing it yourself, this place is in east Plano. They supply basic hand tools and air; you can rent air tools if you need them (or bring your own). If you get stuck, they'll help you out for a bit of :10bux:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 7, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

New phone mount came in. Old one was a cheapie from Wal-Mart, and it was stuck to the center stack with double sided tape. It was kinda ugly, and couldn't hold the new phone anyway (the N4 barely fit in it).

Supposed to be able to stick to even a textured dashboard, I guess we'll find out! It's attached to the top of the steering column, so navigation is front and center when I'm working.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I don't know how to say this nicely but I think someone installed the Nav and cluster backwards!!1

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

New phone mount came in. Old one was a cheapie from Wal-Mart, and it was stuck to the center stack with double sided tape. It was kinda ugly, and couldn't hold the new phone anyway (the N4 barely fit in it).

Supposed to be able to stick to even a textured dashboard, I guess we'll find out! It's attached to the top of the steering column, so navigation is front and center when I'm working.

I was looking at one of those for my Heep. I already have a Rockform case with the built in magnet on my iPhone, and the matching magnet on the dash, bit it's really too low for nav use. One thing that appealed to me was their claims of a super suction cup. I've had several cheapies have the base get hot enough to deform and no longer pull the cup in enough to stick. I'm hoping the Rockform magnet and the mount magnet will play nice. My luck they'll repel each other and shot the phone into the back seat.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Replaced my passenger mirror with one not held on by gaffer tape:

And replaced the air filter:

I think it was probably due. :gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My girlfriend reinstalled her intake hose and battery herself and got her Beetle started.

These are the end times.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
It's been a long time but today I let it run out in second gear. Normally I short shift at around five thousand RPM but today I let it scream right up to the rev limiter at 7.5k.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Realized this is a horrible idea. Good to look at, but a massive PITA to do anything that requires actually touching it while the car is moving. Found out the corner of the dash where the windshield, dash, and A pillar meet is just about perfect. Still in my line of site while driving, close enough that if I have to tap something I can safely do so.

Darchangel, the suction cup seems to work just fine on the textured plastic dash, if that matters to you.

New fog light bulbs - again. One of the no-name yellow bulbs burned out on Wednesday in mild fog. Thursday we had fog that was actually thick enough to necessitate them. :argh: Ordered some cheapish yellow bulbs from Amazon (Nokya bulbs - cheap, but generally halfway decent, and should outlast the no-name ebay bulbs I had before). Still cheaper than off the shelf 881 bulbs from Autozone, and I'm a firm believer that fogs should be yellow, damnit. :corsair:

Realized I destroyed the front speakers - had the stereo cranked pretty high with a bass heavy song (bass at 0, mind you - I have a sub for that) last night, and they went from WUB WUB WUB to BRAPPPPP BRAPPP FARRRRRRRT BRAPPPPP TBBBBBBBBT in a hurry. :sigh: I knew it was a matter of time before they popped since the stereo gets cranked to 11 often, and had money set aside for new ones at some point. I was just hoping it'd be a bit longer.

Time to find a decent component set for less than $150.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Started it, moved it...

... and washed it!

Fitted a battery and it started with about 10 seconds of cranking and then purred away. Not bad for sitting for 18 months. I warmed it up and sat in it and revved it - I want to drive it again!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
woaaaah FC101 camper :D

Lets see the inside!!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

woaaaah FC101 camper :D

Lets see the inside!!

Its still not yet finished and I don't seem to have any decent recent photos. Here are some old ones:

2008 - A blank canvas after removing the bulkhead and stretchers

2009 - The part built unit on the right has a cooker/grill/sink in it. Fridge fitted on the left

I made cushions that drop down across the centre on a frame to make a 1 1/2 size bed that runs across the back

almost finished unit

Fitted 90 seats

It has since my photos stop been upgraded to a 3.9V8 with an electric fan, gained power steering (with a range rover column and pump and a custom drop arm). Got a leisure circuit with battery and inverter and a big solar panel on the roof. Had the front drums replaced with disks. Got an awning on the back and the rear doors have been remodeled to remove the central drop step...

Over the next few months I am going to remove the dash and replace it with a digital one so that I can fit a bigger 110 servo and master cylinder and make it stop better (the servo and master cyl is just behind the dash). Fit EFI and make the LPG work better and hopefully fit some more storage in the back and make my water system work better - maybe with some hot (and fit an external shower head)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nice! We don't get such things on this side of the pond....easily.
as for efi, 14cux? it would be a real cheap swap to do and simple to wire.
the 3.9 was a pretty big improvement in power alone

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

Nice! We don't get such things on this side of the pond....easily.
as for efi, 14cux? it would be a real cheap swap to do and simple to wire.
the 3.9 was a pretty big improvement in power alone

There are a few in the US now, but not many camper conversions as the people who seem to import them seem to be of the 'originality' camp. You should get one and paint it non military colours and piss them off! ;)

Yeah. I've got the EFI that came with the 3.9 I fitted (I put a pair of SU's on it) and a wiring loom and ECU from a scrapper. I've rewired the rest of it so wiring in the EFI should be pretty easy :). The only difficulty is that the gear stick runs on a huge linkage that goes in between the carbs so it needs some inventive bending to make it clear the EFI plenum.

It came with a low compression 3.5 and would max out at 60mph foot to the floor. It is now a high compression 3.9 and will happily sit on the motorway at 70+ with barely any throttle - its just scary thinking about stopping it!
With it having such low gearing 0-30mph from stops at lights is amazing fun too now! :haw:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've seen a few troop transports here and there, but no campers here yet.
I'd own one in a heartbeat. or a IIA air portable. :getin:

Imagine what that fucker would do with a TVR 5.0.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

cursedshitbox posted:

Imagine what that fucker would do with a TVR 5.0.

Burn down?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Realized this is a horrible idea. Good to look at, but a massive PITA to do anything that requires actually touching it while the car is moving.

Perfect spot to run Torque though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

Burn down?

Its a rover v8. :ssh:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Changed rear main seal on the engine, input shaft seal and throwout bearing guide tube on the trans, and the shifter bushings.

Tomorrow's plan is:
- put clutch fork assembly back on
- install flywheel, clutch/pressure plate
- Pull the auto shifter from interior

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
reattaching 98+ jdm wing

yes I'm ashamed

and no i won't lie there is a bit of epoxy involved because apparently I'm incompetent with a drill

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
I was gonna drop in a new rocker arm assembly into my 3.5 magnum but I got a fever instead. :argh:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Deflared. Also, figured out why YJs rot around the bottom of the fenders.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Not done today but I got a Thule roof rack and bike carrier for Christmas. Too cold to go mountain biking but I did use it to bring a folding table to a friend's house so we could play beer pong on New Years Eve.

Today My dad and I fixed what forgot to do: let me turn traction control off. Well "fix", it's accomplished by splicing into an ABS sensor and adding a switch to shut it off. This makes the car think something is broken so it shuts the whole system of so no ABS, traction control or stability. Not ideal but great for not getting stuck in the snow and loving around in parking lots.

And something a pothole did last night. This is why I got steelies for my winter tires.

The rim appears to be the only damage, already ordered a new one. Looks like the tire survived but it won't hold more than 27psi without leaking past the bead. I put my all-seasons back on for now, lucky this happened on an unusually warm week.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, it's a steelie, if it held air I'd have hammered that lip back out and kept on driving. :v:

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pulled the condenser off the C3. Everything is rusted and is taking so much time to do simple jobs. The goal is to preserve as much as possible so I can't just cut my way through the parts. Radiator is pretty well rusted in. Going to rig up a pulley to get that out carefully, then it's on to installing the new brake lines.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

Man, it's a steelie, if it held air I'd have hammered that lip back out and kept on driving. :v:

Agreed. I recommend using a pipe wrench, though, something about them grabs the bead of a rim really nicely when you need to pull it back somewhere.

Also, it's probably a good idea to use twisted pair wire for that traction control killswitch - they use twisted pair cable for ABS sensors for a very good reason, it reduces susceptibility to interference.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Fixed a small oil leak in the wife's Passat, I managed to tear the o-ring for the high pressure fuel pump last time I checked the cam follower for wear. Also washed it to get all the salt off.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The rim is just sitting in my garage so I'll give bending it back a try. I've seen people try it and the leak doesn't go away. For under $100 I figured I would play it safe and get a new rim.

For the ABS wire the suggestions I found said to use speaker wire. If I have an issue I'll know where to look. It works normally right now.

Another thing I did today. If I had managed to do it earlier I may have gotten 44F too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

95% of automotive wiring guides are written by people who have no business wiring a set of christmas lights, nevermind an automobile :v:

(sorry, as an EE who works in the automotive/aerospace industry, I'm incredibly spergy about wiring harness practices. Hell, a lot of OEMs even get it wrong.)

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

As an ME who only finished school in August and is still working as an intern, electronics are more or less magic but hey I got a C in circuits. It seems like a lot of wiring people do only goes as far as "It works right now? Good enough." while creating a rats nest of wires.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure where that switch ends up relative to your seating position but it looks like it could possibly get a little :ese: in an accident. Might want to swap it out for a covered toggle switch because it looks awesome might be safer.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

What kind of car, and whereabouts in Dallas?

I know a really good shop in Denton if it's an import and you don't mind making the drive - I've known the owner for 15 years, and he's worked on every car I've owned except for the F-150 and the Saturn. His father in law owns a great Honda shop in Lewisville as well.

If you're up for renting a bay and doing it yourself, this place is in east Plano. They supply basic hand tools and air; you can rent air tools if you need them (or bring your own). If you get stuck, they'll help you out for a bit of :10bux:

Military bases have this; I definitely appreciated the one we had at polk

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

SFH1989 posted:

The rim is just sitting in my garage so I'll give bending it back a try. I've seen people try it and the leak doesn't go away. For under $100 I figured I would play it safe and get a new rim.

For the ABS wire the suggestions I found said to use speaker wire. If I have an issue I'll know where to look. It works normally right now.

Another thing I did today. If I had managed to do it earlier I may have gotten 44F too.

I miss those days, did this to mine a few months ago:

Where does the time go... :unsmith:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Galler posted:

I'm not sure where that switch ends up relative to your seating position but it looks like it could possibly get a little :ese: in an accident. Might want to swap it out for a covered toggle switch because it looks awesome might be safer.

I specifically put there so it wouldn't get all stabby. My first idea was to put it on the panel below the steering column then I looked at it and remembered there's an airbag behind that one :downs. If it was in view on the dash I would have gotten a covered one.

Root Bear posted:

I miss those days, did this to mine a few months ago:

Where does the time go... :unsmith:

Only 400k to go!

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks

I would never drive behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Took a cutoff wheel to some led marker lights (Peterson v170) and soldered pigtails onto them, then placed one in the factory housing my my IH. My light went from blah to bright. Like crazy bright. I have three more to install but it's just crimping wires since I prepped all of them.

An easy mod that improves the look without drastically altering anything.

The red and center are both the same type LED - the front is an LED bulb in the original housing which was a little dimmer than the incandescent that it replaced.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 14, 2014