Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That would give it the bonus of being aggressively 90s armor, which would give it a pass for not being rad t-shirts or jeans or trackwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Shoehead posted:

A penny for anyone who sees what my tier 1 is referencing. Also the colours will be less poo poo when I'm done.

I'm going with Starship Troopers!

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
The contest for Hiraki Corale designs was finally concluded.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/design-hiraki-corale-hylotl-adventurer.31754/page-36

My ajumma take on Hiraki got honorable mention and has been canonized as her mother. :buddy:

Unrelated, I love those skeletons and how they seem like everything cheesy retro all in one race. It's beautiful.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Nagging letters to Hiraki from her mom in Hylotl Florida should make show up as lore entries.

Liandar posted:

Considering the colour scheme, I would have to guess Starship Troopers. Although it is pretty weird to see rad skellies wearing actual armor and not just t-shirts :v:

IMO the tiers should all be bad 80s-90s fashion. Maybe the T10 would be a red Members Only Jacket and a single white glove?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 13, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'd love something like NEI from minecraft, where i can just go into my inventory and type in an item/block/anything, then click on it and it tells me how it's made.

For starbound it just could be which materials/what crafting bench and maybe how to get the blueprint.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bel Monte posted:

The contest for Hiraki Corale designs was finally concluded.
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/design-hiraki-corale-hylotl-adventurer.31754/page-36

My ajumma take on Hiraki got honorable mention and has been canonized as her mother. :buddy:
Thank god, the sanest submission won and we even got Hiraki's mom to boot.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Shoehead posted:

A penny for anyone who sees what my tier 1 is referencing. Also the colours will be less poo poo when I'm done.

Going to go with starship troopers as well.
If you're going with iconic 80s-90s theme for these guys you really should have at least one tier of armor look like robo-cop

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 13, 2014

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Mirthless posted:

IMO the tiers should all be bad 80s-90s fashion. Maybe the T10 would be a red Members Only Jacket and a single white glove?
Hypercolor shirts should be in the mix somewhere as well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Perpetual Notion posted:

If you're going with iconic 80s-90s theme for these guys you really should have at least one tier of armor look like robo-cop

Please include the Robocop staplegun-heel sound for walking.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Perpetual Notion posted:

Tier 10 armor identified!

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
On a wish-listy note, I'd like to see more done with the ship itself while you're on a planet.

For example, at a specific tier you can craft an 'orbital relay', which you plop down and it gives you the ability to track your ship in orbit (with a directional arrow showing where it is relative to the position you're at on the planet).

This by itself is a bit naff, but then you could perhaps craft upgrades to your ship to allow you to do things once your ship is in 'range' - I.E. you could call down a mining laser of varying sizes (craft a focusing unit to widen the beam in stages). Or a weapon strike of some description, or supply drop. Or even at higher tiers just plain dropping a nuke with a countdown which kills everything on the surface within a certain radius and converts the top x blocks of the world to radioactive dust/glass/bits.

Each thing would require the drop of a crafted item on the planet to hook this stuff up, and then the installation of the appropriate device on your ship somewhere.

Later on you could craft remote navigation units which could improve the time the ship is in 'range', move it manually or set up a geosynchronous orbit or some such. You could use an extension on this idea to set the spawn point or perform an emergency teleport.

I don't want to be all useless ideas guy, but I would enjoy that I think, and it might open up some interesting mod possibilities.

E: Server operators would probably want to flag whether or not ship weapons and/or support are allowed on a per server basis, lest the Goon Armada randomly reduce planets to strip-mined glass bowls.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Liandar posted:

Considering the colour scheme, I would have to guess Starship Troopers. Although it is pretty weird to see rad skellies wearing actual armor and not just t-shirts :v:

You're right! I'm thinking of making their armor more. ..armory than their clothes

Perpetual Notion posted:

I should. I have part of A Terminator Endoskeleton done too.

Maybe I should do that for the all green tier

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

It's too bad that you can't really have designs on shirts due to the size of the player sprites.

The Skellis will never have Big Johnson or Rude Dog shirts. :(

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If they get villages they could have Rude Dog posters though!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

reignonyourparade posted:

Oh god the potential for interior designs in a 1985-1995 themed race would be unreal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any tips for finding minerals? Or is it just blind luck and dig wherever?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Don't randomly dig down. Go across the surface and mine surface minerals. Surface minerals are ridiculously abundant.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

reignonyourparade posted:

"NO FEAR" stickers on everything.

I got NPC spawners to work

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Shoehead posted:

Maybe I should do that for the all green tier

Duke Nukem getup for the armour before the Doom one. :getin:

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Oh god the potential for interior designs in a 1985-1995 themed race would be unreal.

Gotta have the neon colored poster of an iguana in sunglasses, a T-shirt, and shorts on a skateboard and all the poster says is RADICAL.

Wobbly Python
Jan 2, 2014
I dunno, if we want to balance it such that protection is equivalent to :krad: style we probably want to put Duke above Doomguy. Doomguy armor at least has some semblance of being protective. Duke, not so much. I favor the non-sensical always though.

Then again, we should probably have the "Neon Mohawk and one cyborg arm" before either one of those.

Although: there's still this for the lower tiers maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViyIosgD_Og Fluff out the bottom end with obscure/lovely cartoons maybe.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cake Bandit posted:

I dunno, if we want to balance it such that protection is equivalent to :krad: style we probably want to put Duke above Doomguy. Doomguy armor at least has some semblance of being protective. Duke, not so much. I favor the non-sensical always though.

Then again, we should probably have the "Neon Mohawk and one cyborg arm" before either one of those.

Although: there's still this for the lower tiers maybe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViyIosgD_Og Fluff out the bottom end with obscure/lovely cartoons maybe.

I'm totally doing Dr. Cyborn.

Edit: I keep forgetting that Jennifer Hale was in Skeleton Warriors.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 13, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verdugo posted:

Don't randomly dig down. Go across the surface and mine surface minerals. Surface minerals are ridiculously abundant.
As much as people say this, my experience is that ores are way, way more abundant underground. Once you reach the big caverns, you find better ores in huge quantities. I found diamonds and gold in pretty sizeable numbers on my starting planet just by going far enough down.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Vintersorg posted:

Any tips for finding minerals? Or is it just blind luck and dig wherever?

Find a moon and dig down. From about the middle of a Moon's interior to it's core is one of the most abundant areas in the game for minerals of it's tier.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Vib Rib posted:

As much as people say this, my experience is that ores are way, way more abundant underground. Once you reach the big caverns, you find better ores in huge quantities. I found diamonds and gold in pretty sizeable numbers on my starting planet just by going far enough down.

Plus you get that eerie feeling when the music stops and you dig into a vast chasm like something out of House of Leaves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finding sand or gravel zones is the best. :allears:

I hate going too deep because even though ore is way more common, you waste hours of your life breaking down blocks. There's a middle ground that still has lots of dirt so you can move quickly, but has relatively more ore.

Hopefully they tune the reward for going deep at some point.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

xzzy posted:

I hate going too deep because even though ore is way more common, you waste hours of your life breaking down blocks. There's a middle ground that still has lots of dirt so you can move quickly, but has relatively more ore.

Hopefully they tune the reward for going deep at some point.

Digging gravel and sand is like the Super Mario invincibility star, you become this unstoppable juggernaut, if just for a short time. I like how being buried by shifting sand is a drowning risk.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There are two ways to get ore.

Surface mining is just running along the surface of a planet, mining out the ore deposits you see. It's much faster to mine this way, and you have a better chance of running across towns/dungeons/other lootable locations. You miss out on a lot of mineral wealth though, and it can be frustrating hopping from planet to planet slowly accumulating iron.

Deep mining is when you dig around in a planet. Because there's much more ore, quality and quantity, near the core of a planet you want to dig down as much as possible and use caves to expose more surface area for mining. This method returns much more ore but is dangerous, uses up resources (torches) and takes more time.

Personally I surface mine because I'm playing Starbound, not Minecraft.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The really neat chest treasures tend to be underground. :shobon:

Also spelunking is awesome, screw Minecraft.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Splizwarf posted:

The really neat chest treasures tend to be underground. :shobon:

Also spelunking is awesome, screw Minecraft.

I dunno, I stopped deep mining a couple characters ago and I'm still swimming in instruments and novelty hats.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Shoehead posted:

I'm totally doing Dr. Cyborn.

Edit: I keep forgetting that Jennifer Hale was in Skeleton Warriors.

Oh man, such nostalgia. :magical:

Pirates of Dark Water might also be a usable 90's resource too. :haw:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

xzzy posted:

drat straight. Sand/Gravel surfing is the best way to farm ore.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mr. Belding posted:

Plus you get that eerie feeling when the music stops and you dig into a vast chasm like something out of House of Leaves.

House of Leaves is my favorite book ! When they first find the closet extends past their house, so creepy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

There are two ways to get ore.

Surface mining is just running along the surface of a planet, mining out the ore deposits you see. It's much faster to mine this way, and you have a better chance of running across towns/dungeons/other lootable locations. You miss out on a lot of mineral wealth though, and it can be frustrating hopping from planet to planet slowly accumulating iron.

Deep mining is when you dig around in a planet. Because there's much more ore, quality and quantity, near the core of a planet you want to dig down as much as possible and use caves to expose more surface area for mining. This method returns much more ore but is dangerous, uses up resources (torches) and takes more time.

Personally I deep mine because I find the underground interesting, if a little underdeveloped. :colbert:

I'm hoping that in the final game (or at least future patches) the occurrence of underground encounters and events will be higher. I love exploring caves and tunnels and seeing the little underground-only biomes like the soft brick layer or frog ruins. Also, getting all of my mining out of the way immediately lets me just rush the surface of planets I want to explore on foot with butterfly dash instead of loving around with every 3x3 square of diamond I see. Stopping and mining every four steps is boring. Going underground and bombing out a bone layer is fast, fun, and easy.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

Personally I deep mine because I find the underground interesting, if a little underdeveloped. :colbert:

I'm hoping that in the final game (or at least future patches) the occurrence of underground encounters and events will be higher. I love exploring caves and tunnels and seeing the little underground-only biomes like the soft brick layer or frog ruins. Also, getting all of my mining out of the way immediately lets me just rush the surface of planets I want to explore on foot with butterfly dash instead of loving around with every 3x3 square of diamond I see. Stopping and mining every four steps is boring. Going underground and bombing out a bone layer is fast, fun, and easy.

I've just started playing the game but I wish the Backpack Lantern illuminated a little more than it does. I hate having to place torches every few feet.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Kyrosiris posted:

drat straight. Sand/Gravel surfing is the best way to farm ore.

This is all I ever did. Did stone ever get easier to mine though? I haven't been able to play for weeks, but I only ever surface mined (and then mostly on desert planets) when I could help it because goddamn does stone slow a guy down.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Meldonox posted:

This is all I ever did. Did stone ever get easier to mine though? I haven't been able to play for weeks, but I only ever surface mined (and then mostly on desert planets) when I could help it because goddamn does stone slow a guy down.

You just have to find preexisting tunnels to move through. And keep some bombs to quickly blast through tougher materials.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

m.hache posted:

I've just started playing the game but I wish the Backpack Lantern illuminated a little more than it does. I hate having to place torches every few feet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcd0qpjmkf1wj87/Airstick.zip

Bonus, this also makes the Backpack Lantern give you air, so you don't have to gently caress with switching between it and the air tank for moons/asteroids/underwater.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcd0qpjmkf1wj87/Airstick.zip

Bonus, this also makes the Backpack Lantern give you air, so you don't have to gently caress with switching between it and the air tank for moons/asteroids/underwater.

That's great. Should make spelunking more enjoyable. Now I can use torches as markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Vib Rib posted:

Well yeah, but don't just dig straight down. You can find a lot of underground caverns/ores and stuff just following natural caverns down from the surface without digging out a whole lot. I found a ton of diamond, gold and silver ore on my starter planet in some huge underground caverns I found by just following a few natural caverns and digging out the ore I find - which sometimes leads to even more caverns.

m.hache posted:

Aside from the backpack lantern, I like the lightdrones mod. It's a back item like the backpack light, but it provides more light and some heat, and it's upgradable. The first tier drone can be easily made with a bit of gathering of starter materials (10 torches, 40 coal, 20 iron bars), the upgrades require the previous drone + higher tier mats (mainly Urianium and steel) for more light and more heat. The last tier drone also provides oxygen but requires some later-tier materials like durasteel, solarium and a survival system.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 13, 2014

• Locked thread