Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Great return week for the show. Love how unseriously it takes itself - e.g. leaving the Pete Holmes Show reference in. And not in a super-ironic way but more of a 'this is all pretty silly, let's have fun' sort of way. Speaking of, some of you guys definitely take the points and such way too seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

GraPar posted:

Speaking of, some of you guys definitely take the points and such way too seriously.

Yeah, to me the shows not about the points or the game/contest at all. That's just the vehicle to get a bunch of people together to make jokes and be funny. Someone earlier in the thread made a good parallel to Whose Line is it Anyway, how the points are made up and don't matter.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GraPar posted:

Great return week for the show. Love how unseriously it takes itself - e.g. leaving the Pete Holmes Show reference in. And not in a super-ironic way but more of a 'this is all pretty silly, let's have fun' sort of way. Speaking of, some of you guys definitely take the points and such way too seriously.

You post in the DLM thread, you should be used to people caring way too much about a game that doesn't matter in the slightest.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
You make an excellent point, fellow sane podcast fan. You did just make me consider how great/terrible a Holmes/Garlin/Miller/Kreischer episode of this show could be though. Samm Levine would actually be a decent guest.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 11, 2014

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh man, next Thursday is gonna be great. Has PFT been on the show before? My memory is failing me.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, he has. Having him and Jen Kirkman on together is brilliant. As was having Kurt and Kristen on together this week actually. Well done, @midnight bookers.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The last photo bomb with the woman felt way too drat mean. I'm hoping it was some photoshopped face on it or something because otherwise that was a super lovely thing to do to some poor lady who wasn't even photobombing them, they were just making fun of her.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I finally got the chance to watch the episode & see what stuff was cut out. Off the top of my head...

-Like I guessed, Chris' entire rant about the title of Tag Team Thursday was removed (and if I heard right, he even got it wrong in the reshot ending).
-In the exercise video, there were a ton of queef jokes that all got cut from the one with the woman making all the faces.
-Three or four of the Photobomb pictures weren't even shown.
-Once Kristen's green pants were revealed, there were several more kicks she made at the other contestants.

One overall thing I noticed was how tightly they edited it to make it seem like the contestants instantly buzzed in. There were several times during the show where no one would buzz in immediately, and Chris would say "Anybody?" or something to the effect of that.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I'd be lying if I said seeing how prepared it is isn't taking some of the shine off it for me. The best parts are the ones you can tell aren't though like Tom Lennon's bombing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep chuckling to myself remembering Tom Lennons antics. Its weird he looks like Rob Schneider with a mustache.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Midnight City posted:

I'd be lying if I said seeing how prepared it is isn't taking some of the shine off it for me.

It kind of irked me at first too but then I realized they have to make sure the show has a chance at being at least semi-funny. The contestants are still individually making their own jokes, they just aren't as off the cuff. It's not like they are collaborating or having the material written for them. They have to strike a balance between not being totally rehearsed and making sure an entire nights work isn't wasted because no one could make a funny while on the spot. The comedians can still improvise and riff if they want too, but it's good to already have something in their pocket if they need it. I just wish some of them weren't so obviously reading off a cheat sheet in front of them. That's what takes me out of the moment.

Also, I really want to see Norm MacDonald on the show.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 12, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I wonder how much of it is prepared in advance. Obviously HashTagWars and the final speed round are pre-written, Rapid Refresh and "this or that" games are spontaneous, but what about things like the Etsy stores or YouTube videos?

I would hope that those would be more spontaneous, if only because I would have thought they would have had some solid material prepared if they knew beforehand.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

twistedmentat posted:

I have the weirdest crush on her.

It would be weird if you didn't have a crush on her. Another comic once said she looked like a Carvelle Cookiepuss... (at a roast) which was pretty hilarious, but I honestly think she's very pretty. Not to mention she's just so loving funny and effervescent.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I doubt much of it, if anything, is pre-written or prepared. A producer or someone talks to each contestant to show them what games are coming up in each break while they fix makeup, but that's supposedly it.

So many of the jokes and asides were results of the contestants & Chris bantering. I'm fascinated at how they make a ~22 minute show out of recording about 3 times the material.

radlum
May 13, 2013
But the show has writers right? I recall that Chris mentioned that Matt Mira from the Nerdist Podcast worked as a writer for this show. What could he write? Chris's comments?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

radlum posted:

But the show has writers right? I recall that Chris mentioned that Matt Mira from the Nerdist Podcast worked as a writer for this show. What could he write? Chris's comments?

The different options for all the multiple choice questions and other stuff like that probably.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Most of Chris' lines are probably pre-written (his examples for #cheesymovies, for example). It also sounds like they'll be using a few more cutaways, like Doug Benson getting high with the panda.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WhiteHowler posted:

Most of Chris' lines are probably pre-written (his examples for #cheesymovies, for example). It also sounds like they'll be using a few more cutaways, like Doug Benson getting high with the panda.
Yeah, Chris' reactions and banter are authentic, but his pre-game lines are probably pre-written.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

WhiteHowler posted:

It also sounds like they'll be using a few more cutaways, like Doug Benson getting high with the panda.

I liked that this week, especially Chris throwing the water at Thomas Lennon.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

All we know is that the "contestants" are given some of the materials (like for the fast challenges) an hour or two before taping to come up with some lines. Things like rapid refresh, I imagine, aren't revealed to them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

escape artist posted:

It would be weird if you didn't have a crush on her. Another comic once said she looked like a Carvelle Cookiepuss... (at a roast) which was pretty hilarious, but I honestly think she's very pretty. Not to mention she's just so loving funny and effervescent.

On the Conan OBrien Can't Stop dvd, she comes in and meets Conan and she's like some student, with a big backpack and everything, and she's so meek in talking to Conan. The only thing she'd been in that was big at this time was Flight of the Concord. She's just so adorable.

It's also good seeing Conan and Jon Hamm bully Jack McBrayer.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

In case you don't know....

Monday-
Kyle Kinane
Matt Braunger
Cristela Alonzo

Tuesday-
Rory Scovel
Beth Stelling
Jon Dore

Wednesday-
Neal Brennan
Nikki Glaser
Ron Funches

Thursday-
Mike Lawrence
Jen Kirkman
Paul F. Thompkins

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sportsgenius86 posted:

In case you don't know....

Monday-
Kyle Kinane
Matt Braunger
Cristela Alonzo

Oh, god, Kilane's appearance last season was one of the best.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Rory Scovel is my favorite off-the-cuff comedian right now, so he should be PERFECT. If you want to laugh so hard you cry, these two segments from The Pete Holmes Show interview with him are GOLD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4vXzDShoQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3JN5u7KH08

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Davros1 posted:

Oh, god, Kilane's appearance last season was one of the best.

Seriously if they can get John Mulaney and him on a single episode I will poo poo the bed. They're two of the funniest people in comedy right now.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And to think bigE, you were only 4 days away from getting an awesome dress!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jerry Lawler and Order is pretty good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
WWE Network is going to own by the way

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Brock Lesnar's Tickle Party.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh god, Owen reference :cry:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

These comedians know their wrestlers.

Or there's a name list on their iPads.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha Mexico is 20 years behind.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

404GoonNotFound posted:

I missed it, what was it?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BigRed0427 posted:

I missed it, what was it?

Owen Hart to Hart

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

404GoonNotFound posted:

To be fair, he won't die in Mexico for another decade.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What do you mean Borderline?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

What do you mean Borderline?
It's like right wing logic: if they're not using the N word, it's not racist :smuggo:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
NONE OF THE GOOD ONES ARE REAL

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Spoken funk? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011