Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

Well yeah, but don't just dig straight down. You can find a lot of underground caverns/ores and stuff just following natural caverns down from the surface without digging out a whole lot. I found a ton of diamond, gold and silver ore on my starter planet in some huge underground caverns I found by just following a few natural caverns and digging out the ore I find - which sometimes leads to even more caverns.

Aside from the backpack lantern, I like the lightdrones mod. It's a back item like the backpack light, but it provides more light and some heat, and it's upgradable. The first tier drone can be easily made with a bit of gathering of starter materials (10 torches, 40 coal, 20 iron bars), the upgrades require the previous drone + higher tier mats (mainly Urianium and steel) for more light and more heat. The last tier drone also provides oxygen but requires some later-tier materials like durasteel, solarium and a survival system.

This is even better. It seems like it fits into the game more. Having upgradable loot also gives me something else to grind.

Thanks again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Worth noting that you won't see Uranium in any reasonable count until at least tier 4, and Solarium is like tier 9-10.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Meldonox posted:

This is all I ever did. Did stone ever get easier to mine though? I haven't been able to play for weeks, but I only ever surface mined (and then mostly on desert planets) when I could help it because goddamn does stone slow a guy down.

Drilling goes pretty fast for cobblestone and cobblestone-like materials, once you get a diamond drill. Obsidian and Magmarock/Blackrock/Etc and their like materials are way, way too hard to mine through right now, though. If you do a decent amount of subterranean digging, on certain deep, deep layers you can run into merchants that sell bombs. Get a couple of thousand bombs and obsidian isn't too hard to get through at all.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

Worth noting that you won't see Uranium in any reasonable count until at least tier 4, and Solarium is like tier 9-10.

That's fine. Just working on completing the robot and there are ice planets I would like to explore. Besides, the first upgrade tier already looks like it generates more light than the default lantern stick.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Fishstick posted:

Aside from the backpack lantern, I like the lightdrones mod. It's a back item like the backpack light, but it provides more light and some heat, and it's upgradable. The first tier drone can be easily made with a bit of gathering of starter materials (10 torches, 40 coal, 20 iron bars), the upgrades require the previous drone + higher tier mats (mainly Urianium and steel) for more light and more heat. The last tier drone also provides oxygen but requires some later-tier materials like durasteel, solarium and a survival system.

What other mods are you running? I never got the recipe for the lightdrones even after mining some more coal. I'm thinking it's probably conflicting with some other mods, like the charcoal mod and some more rebalancing mods a fellow goon made.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

chami posted:

What other mods are you running? I never got the recipe for the lightdrones even after mining some more coal. I'm thinking it's probably conflicting with some other mods, like the charcoal mod and some more rebalancing mods a fellow goon made.

It says there was an update yesterday that let's your character learn this on creation instead of when picking up coal. Might need to update it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

chami posted:

Are you running an old(er) version of Lightdrones? I had the < Dec24 mod and it was available at my crafting table from the start, but the new version (updated literally yesterday) apparently fixed some conflicting mods issues and has Tabula Rasa support. Personally I like the T1 drone more than the backpack light anyway because of the basic cold protection. My only real beef is the really basic animations on it, but functionally it's great.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gonna leave this here..

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Cake Bandit and I have finished another mod, this time it's DOOM Marine armor!
The description is a must-read~

EDIT: The reason my absurd mod output has slowed down is because I'm working on something really big, by the way. More details as I make progress.

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 13, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Been out of the loop for a bit, do we know yet roughly when the next (last?) character wipe is set to hit?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Can someone post the winning Hiraki design? The picture in the announcement is down for using up too much Photobucket bandwidth.

Feenix posted:

Been out of the loop for a bit, do we know yet roughly when the next (last?) character wipe is set to hit?

IIRC they're aiming for sometime this week, or the next.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Feature Suggestion: Items in the L/R hands slots appear on your body when the hands are not selected.

There could be lines in the item's config specifying:

-whether it shows up or not (so most furniture wouldn't show up equipped)
-what layer the item is on (above the chest/legs if it's on your hip, behind everything if it's on your back)
-location and rotation, similar to when you edit what angle your character holds and swings their weapon

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scratch-O posted:

Can someone post the winning Hiraki design? The picture in the announcement is down for using up too much Photobucket bandwidth.

IIRC they're aiming for sometime this week, or the next.

Have they ever talked about why they had a change of heart on the update schedule?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What change of heart?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Have they ever talked about why they had a change of heart on the update schedule?

...Taking time off for the holidays? They've said this in several places.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Bartwe also mentioned a bug he wants fixed before they release this patch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

What change of heart?

They said there would be several updates a week. I'm not really complaining, it's just that even taking into account the holidays, they're updating slower than they initially wanted to so I was just wondering if something else came up.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

They sold a million copies of their game in under a month. I would imagine that amount of money would require some unexpected management.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Macho Man clothes... someone make this happen.. Sunglasses, Hat, everything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

They said there would be several updates a week. I'm not really complaining, it's just that even taking into account the holidays, they're updating slower than they initially wanted to so I was just wondering if something else came up.

I would not be surprised if updates accelerate after the character wipe issue is resolved next patch. That's probably slowed them down.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Did they mention fixing instruments? Because otherwise this game is dead to me :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Scratch-O posted:

Winner:

Alt:

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Updates will be fast and furious! Like every day. Or twice a day. Or once a month. Or some day. We'll get around to it. George R. R. Martin invited us to a party.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 14, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It's almost like they said that steam allowed them to daily update and not that they would always do it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Or maybe they're just human beings, not only celebrating the holidays but also taking a short break after the long-awaited release of their public beta after so many months of hard work?

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

quote:

Updates will come thick and fast, sometimes as often as multiple updates a day.

They didn't say they would always do it, but the pace of these updates is more breakfast than break neck.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

What the gently caress does that even mean

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I know I never rush through breakfast quickly. It's always a slow process and takes forever. I can't even think of a reason why someone would rush through breakfast.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

When the winter holidays come around sometimes I don't even eat breakfast for like 3 weeks

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Belding posted:

They didn't say they would always do it, but the pace of these updates is more breakfast than break neck.

Starbound Thread. Starbound Thread never changes.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Babe Magnet posted:

When the winter holidays come around sometimes I don't even eat breakfast for like 3 weeks

As long as you eat breakfast foods you're in the clear. Otherwise we have a problem, buster.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is this game in its current state, better than terraria?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Terraria you got some actual long term goals, on top of all the assorted things that come with it being an actually finished game and not just a very early (if impressive for that) beta.

I will say, that Starbound's 3x3 pickaxe no matter how much people have complained about it's speed, has spoiled me rotten and oh sweet jesus mouseing over and digging one tile at a time in Terraria (as well as being more forgiving for taking jumping swings at stuff to knock it loose) has gone from acceptable to soul crushing.

Honestly though, comparing an early beta to a complete and expansions added game for which one is better just feels dumb. Even if I suspect I will like Starbound way more than Terraria (granted I never got much past a Meteorite pickaxe in that game yet).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's pretty decently different, outside of the low-res art style and the emphasis on blocks and crafting and all that. There's a lot more to do in Terraria right now, and there's a better sense of progression than what's in Starbound, but also keep in mind that Terraria is a game that's already actually gotten a full release and several "expansion-pack" size updates, while Starbound has been in a rather bare-bones beta for a little over a month.

E: As mentioned, Starbound's got way more potential than Terraria does, at least until we know more information about Terraria 2.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

redreader posted:

Yes/No.

It's not finished, obviously. It has a bunch of features that Terraria does not, Terraria has some features this game does not.

They are two different games.

When Starbound is finished, I am confident it will absolutely be better than Terraria.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

redreader posted:

Debatable. By itself its worth getting, by comparison Terraria has a heck of alot of content to dick around with.

My suggestion: get Terraria. Once you exhaust that, get Starbound and appreciate all the little things. (Right click to set blocks as background :swoon: )

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

RickVoid posted:

Nerd Thread.Nerd Thread never changes.

All threads involving any game.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
This is a pretty fun game and it is very pretty and there is lots of exploring to do, except everything seems too hard to get. Terraria has way better pacing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Terraria's is definitely a fun game. Right now Terraria wins in terms of content, but I feel like Starbound's basic interface is a lot more user-friendly. As a result it can be easy to go from Terraria to Starbound (where you get more conveniences but, as yet, less content), whereas I already have trouble going back to Terraria, what with having to mine and place blocks one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I tried loading up Terraria again right after Starbound and the biggest problem I had was I felt like I was playing from across the room. Didn't realize how much I enjoyed the zoom options in Starbound. I do really look forward to Terraria 2 at some point, especially after the guy picked it back up with updates this year.

• Locked thread