Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

I have a question for corporate sales employees. I'm looking to jump ship from working in a sprint retailer to a Verizon corporate store. Is there any kind of employee referral hire program? Is it a terrible idea to bring some recent sales numbers along with my resume to the store that's hiring in my area?

Obviously I don't work verizon, but in general what you should bring to a cellular sales interview:

-enthusiasm for service plus growing sales. Open minded ness
-proven numbers
-resume stuff and referrals
-ability to sell more than just phones. Usually tablets, hotspots and wireless home phone. VZ may have specific interests you'll want to talk about.

There's always a shortage of people in wireless it seems, so presenting yourself as a great service and sales rep who can work in and outside the box and is flexible On adapting focus has always worked for me.

Oh, and I went through he interview process with Verizon, just be prepared with your A game. They interview really well, ask very good questions, and they do an extremely thorough background check. Make sure the dates on your resume are accurate to the absolute month. Having W2s ready for old jobs if you have them could save you time if they have issues contacting old employers.

Best of luck, both Verizon and ATT Corp pay significantly better than indirect. I switched from the company you are at, and my pay increase year over year was about 60% and that isn't even including better benefits. My main advice is just keep applying, sometimes it takes a bit to get through.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

iostream.h posted:

Apparently there's no way to put a SIM activated on an unlimited account into a Jetpack (although I see this advertised on eBay quite often, it's rather confusing).

Why are you unable to do this? It works fine for me.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I'm kind of retarded and this is a huge thread so, quick question.

Do I need to pay for VZ Navigator to use GPS apps?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Flying Milton posted:

I'm kind of retarded and this is a huge thread so, quick question.

Do I need to pay for VZ Navigator to use GPS apps?

No. Google maps works fine.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Awesome. I was worried Verizon would hit me with usage fees for having GPS turned on.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Why are you unable to do this? It works fine for me.
I'd read that you can't use a SIM attached to a phone account in a mobile broadband device.

However, in other news, I AOL'd an unlimited account today, provided them the number off a fresh SIM I acquired from a retail store, popped that SIM into my Jetpack and bam, I have a Jetpack with unlimited data. Life is freaking grand right now.

The best part is being able to drop my 30GB/month shared plan (iPhone + Jetpack) down to 2GB on the 13th.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there anyway to keep unlimited if I upgrade through Amazon Wireless?

My upgrade date is at the end of April, but I would like to have an upgraded phone by the time I go on vacation earlier in the month. I can upgrade up to two months early from Amazon, but I don't know if there's a way to keep unlimited.

Am I just going to have to suck it up with a poo poo old droid incredible for the 17 hour drive and week worth of vacation?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Doctor Butts posted:

Is there anyway to keep unlimited if I upgrade through Amazon Wireless?

My upgrade date is at the end of April, but I would like to have an upgraded phone by the time I go on vacation earlier in the month. I can upgrade up to two months early from Amazon, but I don't know if there's a way to keep unlimited.

Am I just going to have to suck it up with a poo poo old droid incredible for the 17 hour drive and week worth of vacation?

If you try to upgrade on the line that has unlimited, you will lose unlimited. Doesn't matter if that's at Verizon, BestBuy, Amazon, or whoever (unless there's some quirk to those processes I don't know about).

Your options are 1) buy full retail and don't sign a new contract, or 2) Transfer the upgrade to another line on your plan, buy the phone you want, then switch it to the unlimited line.

Can we put something about this in the OP yet?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

But I'm guessing I can't transfer the upgrade because it won't exist yet, correct?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Doctor Butts posted:

But I'm guessing I can't transfer the upgrade because it won't exist yet, correct?

Yeah, you're out of luck on this one. Unless you have an upgrade available on another line?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nope I'm screwed. drat.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Nope I'm screwed. drat.

Well if by screwed you mean have to wait two more months, yeah. If you do have another line with a decrepit phone you can always try talking to a service rep to see if they'll throw you a bone on your upgrade date.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Doctor Butts posted:

Nope I'm screwed. drat.

Buy a Moto X or roll the dice with a craigslist phone?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
Notice to people who have been using the upgrade on a non-unlimited line and then transfer the device as Customer Provided Equipment to move it to a line with unlimited to retain unlimited data.

The loophole is officially closed. Any device that was purchased as a 2-year contract subsidy will now require removal of the unlimited data feature unless the two-year contract term has been fulfilled. This was just announced today via VZW Intranet. Basically corporate is wise to various shenanigans in not so many words.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Notice to people who have been using the upgrade on a non-unlimited line and then transfer the device as Customer Provided Equipment to move it to a line with unlimited to retain unlimited data.

The loophole is officially closed. Any device that was purchased as a 2-year contract subsidy will now require removal of the unlimited data feature unless the two-year contract term has been fulfilled. This was just announced today via VZW Intranet. Basically corporate is wise to various shenanigans in not so many words.

Oh thank god I decided to go ahead and use this loophole a few months ago.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I wonder if that decision will just make some people just jump ship to another carrier. At least the Nexus 5 and Moto x are reasonably priced no contract phones that won't get rid of your unlimited data

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Glad I went ahead and used the loophole last month! My grandmother is on a feature phone line on my plan and will have an upgrade in four or so months, so I'll bank that for my next upgrade (phones mean nothing to her)

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Did they explain how they are preventing it? I did it today at work just fine.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Yeah, this is going be impossible to enforce. Unless the block every single unlimited line from automated device changes so a rep needs to get involved.... and even then they can't block sim swaps.

I love how verizon still thinks they have the same level of control over devices on their network as they did in the cdma days. But then again, the various departments are so detached from each other and reality its not terribly surprising.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

I would guess every transaction that changes a device on a line with unlimited will be audited to make sure the new policies are complied with.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I hope they send this information out to customers, then. It's really easy to change customer owned equipment to an unlimited line.

EDIT: Woo. 4.4 rolling out for the Droid Maxx Pt. 2: Electric Boogaloo

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 14, 2014

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

EDIT: Woo. 4.4 rolling out for the Droid Maxx Pt. 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yup. Posting from a maxx with 4.4 :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

XIII posted:

Glad I went ahead and used the loophole last month! My grandmother is on a feature phone line on my plan and will have an upgrade in four or so months, so I'll bank that for my next upgrade (phones mean nothing to her)

And it sounds like you cant "swap upgrades" anymore. So no, You wont be doing that if you want to keep unlimited.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

EbolaIvory posted:

And it sounds like you cant "swap upgrades" anymore. So no, You wont be doing that if you want to keep unlimited.

Wait what is this? I was just about to go tomorrow and take a full upgrade which is on my unlimited line and use it on someone else's line on my family plan so they could upgrade their phone. It would get rid of her unlimited in the process but she doesn't care about having it as she never uses more than ~200mb a month. I thought if I did this it would not affect my unlimited data though. Is what you're saying that this not a thing I can do anymore?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ACID POLICE posted:

Wait what is this? I was just about to go tomorrow and take a full upgrade which is on my unlimited line and use it on someone else's line on my family plan so they could upgrade their phone. It would get rid of her unlimited in the process but she doesn't care about having it as she never uses more than ~200mb a month. I thought if I did this it would not affect my unlimited data though. Is what you're saying that this not a thing I can do anymore?

Unless I'm reading this wrong the way I understand it is.

The device being upgraded, Removes unlimited from the line using the upgrade. And the device if MOVED to another line before the contract is up, removes the unlimited from the line it reactivates on.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

Well the announcement just hit yesterday so there is not a ton of detail. What I read indicated that Device IDs that were purchased with 2-year pricing would cause unlimited data to be removed if they were activated as CPE on another line unless the 2-year contract was fulfilled.

The process may end up being somewhat manual because the announcement mentioned any equipment changes where unlimited was retained would be "closely audited."

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Does this mean that any time a customer does a SIM swap, it's going to put a note into an audit queue so that a human can look at the history of the device and take away unlimited data if need be?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Does this mean that any time a customer does a SIM swap, it's going to put a note into an audit queue so that a human can look at the history of the device and take away unlimited data if need be?

I may be speaking out of my rear end, but I don't think popping the sim into another device is the same as activating the device on the line.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Well the announcement just hit yesterday so there is not a ton of detail. What I read indicated that Device IDs that were purchased with 2-year pricing would cause unlimited data to be removed if they were activated as CPE on another line unless the 2-year contract was fulfilled.

The process may end up being somewhat manual because the announcement mentioned any equipment changes where unlimited was retained would be "closely audited."

This is going to wreak a SHITSTORM of havoc for people that buy/sell used phones as not all those phones are going to be clear of a 2 year contract when they are sold. I know that I sold off my Razr before I was clear of my 2 year contract for the Galaxy Nexus. So, if they are really flagging IDs of devices that were used on 2 year pricing and then killing unlimited if that device is activated in a different line if that device is not clear of the 2 year contract, it's going to cause a lot of problems.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Isn't this the same as before?you're not activating it on the unlimited line, you're activating on the extra line and then just transferring afterwards? Or would that be caught under the rule change too? If so, I'm done with VZW.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Unfortunately, this is the start of my 'weekend' so I can't really go and read it. Now I'm anxious.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I was thinking about the new upgrade rules and I can't see how this would be remotely enforceable outside of threats.

Unless Verizon has decided to take the media approach and try to say that you are only leasing/licensing your use of the equipment.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Is this part of that? I'm on a family plan. My phone is the one eligible for an upgrade and the only one with unlimited. The rest have 2gb caps. I called Verizon to transfer the upgrade to another line. I was then planning on using Moto maker to get a Moto X. Activating it on the 2gb line. Deactivating. Then transferring to mine. Figuring this would be simple I called and was told that i could upgrade on my line then transfer the phone to the other line. I said no, I don't want to restart the contract on my line. I just want to transfer the upgrade since I don't want to use it. She told me that I couldn't transfer the upgrade without restarting my contract...

Should I try another person later?

e: i also asked if I would lose my unlimited on this transfer and restarting my contract and she said yes

CancerStick fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 15, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Nobody in my indirect channel has heard anything about this memo and I can't find it in infocenter anywhere. They might just be cracking down on actual Verizon employees for this.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Well apparently you can't transfer an upgrade from a line that has unlimited or it'll take out the unlimited on the account that has the upgrade too

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

CancerStick posted:

Is this part of that? I'm on a family plan. My phone is the one eligible for an upgrade and the only one with unlimited. The rest have 2gb caps. I called Verizon to transfer the upgrade to another line. I was then planning on using Moto maker to get a Moto X. Activating it on the 2gb line. Deactivating. Then transferring to mine. Figuring this would be simple I called and was told that i could upgrade on my line then transfer the phone to the other line. I said no, I don't want to restart the contract on my line. I just want to transfer the upgrade since I don't want to use it. She told me that I couldn't transfer the upgrade without restarting my contract...

Should I try another person later?

e: i also asked if I would lose my unlimited on this transfer and restarting my contract and she said yes

If what has been posted in this th read is true, the only way to get it is to use motomaker and not use the upgrade ie pay the $400. I can confirm that I just did this and it works, I still have my unlimited.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I've got an unlimited data plan tied to my old Droid Bionic. This phone has been a tank for the past few years, but it's finally drawing its last breath over the past 6 months. If I go into a Verizon store and just straight-up purchase a new iPhone 5s at their retail price, they're supposed to activate it for me on that line AND I keep my unlimited data plan...right?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've got an unlimited data plan tied to my old Droid Bionic. This phone has been a tank for the past few years, but it's finally drawing its last breath over the past 6 months. If I go into a Verizon store and just straight-up purchase a new iPhone 5s at their retail price, they're supposed to activate it for me on that line AND I keep my unlimited data plan...right?

Yup, if you buy it outright you keep unlimited data.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

hoobajoo posted:

Yup, if you buy it outright you keep unlimited data.

Thanks; didn't know if there was some hidden catch when changing devices on different platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Luckman
May 2, 2007

Same as it ever was.
Sorry if this has been discussed to death already but i couldn't find anything in this thread.

Is there any way to tether with an unlimited plan w/o paying the extra :10bux::10bux: every month?

• Locked thread