Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Sounds like you understand it fine.

Haha, as I was reading his post a smile spread across my face. Yep, that's WvW. Welcome brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Also, how the hell does anyone have fun in WvW? Do you have to be 80 to duel anyone?

It seems if I set my bar to zerg, I'll get picked off because my skills would be completely 100% different in a duel or smaller fight, and when I'm zerging, I'm just chasing other people mashing 1. I don't understand WvW at all.

This is particularly why I stopped playing WvW; following zergs is mindless and boring. Sadly there's no real Endgame in PvE either, and I will not count fractals because Anet's RNG is absolutely poo poo as I've not seen anything but Dredge + Mai for my last 2 since the update. If there was a skin system I'd spend so much time collecting skins that I'm not sure if it would be good or bad.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Silver Ore took off today :0
link

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's a giant robot puppet? And a terrible voiceover?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

The hardest part about WvW is convincing yourself it's PVP.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

rap music posted:

The hardest part about WvW is convincing yourself it's PVP.

Once you've convinced yourself it's harder hitting PVE with only moderately smarter mobs, you can go to town just spamming your AOE and dealing damage to crowds.

metacorder
Dec 7, 2007

last of the uplift gnarssh
Why so much hate on WvW? Roaming or running in small groups is very close to "actual PvP" and assuming you are on mag there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

On the other hand, if you view WvW as a mechanism to gain WXP, and play it with that goal in mind, yeah it is going to be loving stupid.

Edit: You don't have to be 80 to find a duel, but yeah you will have a hard time beating people unless you are really good and they are idiots.

metacorder fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 14, 2014

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I just got a Superior Sigil of Generosity (requires level 60, it gives a 60% chance to transfer a condition to a foe on a critical hit) from a personalized Wintersday box. Seeing as how I'm level 7, should I sell it? It's 19-23 gold on the TP, but I don't know if this is something I should hang onto instead, for reasons I don't know about since I'm a complete newbie.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 14, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I had to re-read my post before I realized that I meant I was experimenting in sPvP (thus the builds) because I suck at WvW!

As to why I was trying to duel in WvW, I saw it on a sweet video set to dubstep.

Do people level their characters entirely in WvW? I actually kind of like the storyline (I'm up to Vigil), but my level is being far outpaced and I could use some supplemental experience.

... Also, as an aside, I think Guardian has become my very favorite "Paladin" analogue from any game.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
There's plenty of good, tactical combat to be had in WvW. You're just not going to get it with a PUG zerg. WvW oriented guilds often run smaller, organized groups that do a lot more than spam 1.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Secret Sweater posted:

link

Was there an announcement or did another alpha tester strike it rich?

Maybe it's electrum and I won't have to take a bath with all of this gold after all.

Zhentar posted:

There's plenty of good, tactical combat to be had in WvW. You're just not going to get it with a PUG zerg. WvW oriented guilds often run smaller, organized groups that do a lot more than spam 1.

Don't sweat it. Most of the posters in this thread couldn't tell the difference between zerg surfing and wulfpax with all the situational awareness in the world. Patton and Sun Tzu are spinning in their graves.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 14, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, I didn't mean to disparage anyone who likes WvW, I'm just citing my personal experience and confusion. I know for sure there must be smaller organized teams, but as a newbie, I'm not invited and I don't see them unless I'm mashing 1 to collect loot bags.

Do you have to be 80 to be a funhaver in a smaller group? I get pretty much instagibbed at level 45~

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Secret Sweater posted:

link

I stocked up on silver a long time ago, but... why is it suddenly more expensive? Electrum speculators?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Midrena posted:

I just got a Superior Sigil of Generosity (requires level 60, it gives a 60% chance to transfer a condition to a foe on a critical hit) from a personalized Wintersday box. Seeing as how I'm level 7, should I sell it? It's 19-23 gold on the TP, but I don't know if this is something I should hang onto instead, for reasons I don't know about since I'm a complete newbie.

Generosity is a very good sigil used in a lot of builds, but you've got a long way to go (i.e. reaching 80) before you think about moving it onto your actual endgame gear.

Just sell it for now and use the proceeds to fund a new set of leveling gear for yourself every five to 10 levels. By the time you get around to thinking about endgame, you'll have that money back.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
If you are under level 80, the game is mashing 1 in a karma train to get to 80. Once you are fully geared at 80, you stand a chance. Even then, as you point out, your traits and utilities for group play differ from solo roaming. You might set up traits that let you cover a great deal of distance and suddenly get burned by conditions. You might trait to cleanse conditions and get blasted by burst. If you are like me as a Mesmer you put Null Field, Feedback, Veil and Time Warp on your belt to help the group, only to find that you are defenseless when a thief picks you out of the group.

So yes, level 80 is a must, and even then it can be unfun depending on the time of day.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

metacorder posted:

Why so much hate on WvW? Roaming or running in small groups is very close to "actual PvP" and assuming you are on mag there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

On the other hand, if you view WvW as a mechanism to gain WXP, and play it with that goal in mind, yeah it is going to be loving stupid.

Edit: You don't have to be 80 to find a duel, but yeah you will have a hard time beating people unless you are really good and they are idiots.

A lot of the pvp skill balances done to the game don't apply in wvw since it uses the pve numbers. I have no opinion on what's real pvp or not though.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 14, 2014

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Dreggon posted:

I stocked up on silver a long time ago, but... why is it suddenly more expensive? Electrum speculators?

In reality, that was only something like 500g worth of stock being bought out quickly (~100k ore). It was most likely just one person spamming buy. Looks like it's dropping back down.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Kessel posted:

Just sell it for now and use the proceeds to fund a new set of leveling gear for yourself every five to 10 levels. By the time you get around to thinking about endgame, you'll have that money back.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking that might be the way to go, but I was a bit hesitant. :)

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

Midrena posted:

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking that might be the way to go, but I was a bit hesitant. :)

??? You should be spending less than a few gold on leveling sets until you're 80. Buy only greens they cost like 10 silver max. I agree that you should sell it, just don't spend money on rares and poo poo you should only use a fraction of that gold for leveling gear.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Secret Sweater posted:

??? You should be spending less than a few gold on leveling sets until you're 80. Buy only greens they cost like 10 silver max. I agree that you should sell it, just don't spend money on rares and poo poo you should only use a fraction of that gold for leveling gear.

Oh, I have no intention of buying gear on the TP. I never have in any game I've played. I'd rather find them (that's most of the fun anyway) or craft them (depending on game). I meant thanks for the advice on selling.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 14, 2014

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
A giant titbot is just what the game was missing. Can't wait for next week!

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

You won't be crafting your gear. That would be 10-1000x more expensive than just buying it off the tp. I'd say just gear off what you find. Buy greens off the tp if your poo poo gets to be 10-20 levels old. Open world pve is an absolute joke, you don't need optimal or even up to date gear.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
^^^ That's why I said "craft them (depending on game)." I love crafting, but I heard about the ... uh ... state of crafting in GW2. Which is kind of a shame.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

gandlethorpe posted:

A giant titbot is just what the game was missing. Can't wait for next week!

Not just a giant tibot, a giant marionette titbot. I hope there's a way to cut the strings and make it crush half the people fighting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

daspope posted:

Open world pve is an absolute joke, you don't need optimal or even up to date gear.

One of the absolute best parts of this game is how accessible it is to absolutely everyone!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm on my phone and won't have pc access for a few hours; can someone post a screenshot of this titbot ridiculousness in lieu of streaming away my data plan?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm on my phone and won't have pc access for a few hours; can someone post a screenshot of this titbot ridiculousness in lieu of streaming away my data plan?

Wait wait, there's actually another titbot update?!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The titbot is one of the weirder things I've seen in an MMO, and I've played STO.

God I can't wait for Scarlett to just gently caress off.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Er, I just saw the youtube link posted earlier, was that something else? given the context I thought it was a teaser for the upcoming stuff.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait wait, there's actually another titbot update?!

Yeah, man:

P.S: how many gems are you buying tonight?

mmorpg.com posted:

That’s not the only threat awaiting players, as the teaser video reveals. Scarlet’s machinations have unearthed something ancient and angry in Bloodtide Coast. The Great Jungle Wurm is a huge multi-headed creature so powerful that only an army of players can challenge it

I guess scarlet was responsible even for the Great Jungle Wurm :suicide:

Zhulik fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2014

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Trebuchet King posted:

Here you go:

There's also a mutant Pokemon or something.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Maybe they're trying to drum up excitement for Wildstar.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anoia posted:

Here you go:

Really Anet? :stare:

Zhulik posted:

P.S: how many gems are you buying tonight?

We shall fulfill our pact when I get home later.

e: Holy poo poo I lost it when the titbot's high heels started stomping on things. Who the gently caress wrote this poo poo?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Zhulik posted:

I guess scarlet was responsible even for the Great Jungle Wurm :suicide:

Scarlet is winning. She is steadily removing all life (player characters) from Tyria.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Anyone happen to know what area that not-Jungle Wurm fight is taking place in?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Anyone happen to know what area that not-Jungle Wurm fight is taking place in?

Bloodtide Coast.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

To be honest, part of me would be disappointed if Scarlet's story did not end with something as ridiculously over the top as that tit bot. I'm ready to polish those heels with unending particle effects. This is the end of something terrible. Oh and something about worms. Seriously, how the hell did they squeeze that in?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of want them to phone in the end of the Scarlet saga as hard as they possibly can. Like make the final final boss a normal sized Jotun or something with no special traits other than a boatload of health. And then make Scarlet's final victory be retconning herself out of ever having existed.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Xavier434 posted:

To be honest, part of me would be disappointed if Scarlet's story did not end with something as ridiculously over the top as that tit bot. I'm ready to polish those heels with unending particle effects. This is the end of something terrible. Oh and something about worms. Seriously, how the hell did they squeeze that in?

The best part is, this isn't even the last Scarlet update. That means they might come up with something even better goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
To the new person asking about leveling gear but refuses to buy on the tp- just make sure you have the best weapon possible. Since it is so easy to avoid damage while leveling by dodging and kiting, the armor isn't anywhere as important as having strong weapon damage.

It's also stupid to avoid the tp. That's what it's there for.

• Locked thread