Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think ALL guns suck (though most of them do), they give a nice advantage at a distance and are pretty weak in close combat, as they should. My only problem is with shotguns and their "only one projectile hits" thing. Assault rifles could be better, since they suck a bit compared to dual wielded machine pistols.

It's pretty useful to have both a good gun and a melee weapon, so I'd really like if they didn't make the same mistake as terraria where guns and other projectiles are so much better than melee weapons that they are completely useless even early on in the game.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Section Z posted:

If more self promotion was like yours, then the world would be a little bit of a better place :allears:

Note to self, actually try out some of these amazing mods you guys keep making and putting up. I am a longtime "Must Play Vanilla because... Reasons?" person, but I suspect Starbound will break that habit. Maybe even my fear of "rebalance" mods, but that's usually because they tend to change a whole lot more than I was aiming for. But screw "Steel Bow takes half your goddamned energy bar while wearing steel armor to fire" energy drain.

Also, Nthing the "Make torches provide light beyond when placed damnit" opinion.

Toll Gates are pretty brutal In Space.

I was a Vanilla For Reasons guy (on the first playthrough anyway) until Starbound. Even then, my resolve was strong until I found the ship-construction mods (the major thing that I wanted and didn't get from Vanilla), specifically the one responsible for this:

and this:

and this:

Finally, I can build living Goa'uld mothership hermit crab megafauna to ride around in. Crunchy sandstone on the outside, succulent meatwalls inside! :kimchi:

Remaining checklist items:
stargates
placeable teleporters
pumpable and storable fluid

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They should just drop pickaxes entirely and let you start with a copper drill. By the time you get to the tier with drills unlocked you have access to enough resources that you never need to actually use a copper/silver/etc drill, you can blast right up to diamond. There's also plenty other Lego-world sandbox games for weirdos who insist on spending hours holding left-click with primitive tools as some sort of rite-of-passage into endgame.

There's literally no conceivable reason you should beam down from a spaceship and build a pickaxe when the game is gonna throw drills at you in a few sectors.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Have they said or have mod-makers yet found a good way of moving water?

I'd like sponges, each of which could absorb a little liquid, like 1-3 blocks of it. When you jump into liquid, any dry sponges in your bag soak up as much as they can. You have to empty them eventually. Useful for exploring and for home design!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kyrosiris posted:

must be to facilitate background digging
Which is frankly not that important for spelunking. There's cause for a one-handed mining tool.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Reiley posted:

They should just drop pickaxes entirely and let you start with a copper drill. By the time you get to the tier with drills unlocked you have access to enough resources that you never need to actually use a copper/silver/etc drill, you can blast right up to diamond. There's also plenty other Lego-world sandbox games for weirdos who insist on spending hours holding left-click with primitive tools as some sort of rite-of-passage into endgame.

There's literally no conceivable reason you should beam down from a spaceship and build a pickaxe when the game is gonna throw drills at you in a few sectors.

God, not this loving argument again. It never goes anywhere, and I don't think the devs are going to change their minds about pickaxes. If you don't like it, mod it.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Oh hey, let me just leave this rebalance mod here (THE SELF PROMOTION CONTINUES). Probably has some bugs or typos, but it loads and works, for the ~20 minutes I tested it. As always, feedback is very appreciated.

nerdz posted:

It's pretty useful to have both a good gun and a melee weapon, so I'd really like if they didn't make the same mistake as terraria where guns and other projectiles are so much better than melee weapons that they are completely useless even early on in the game.
Agreed; My intent with that mod was mostly to make melee a high risk, high reward thing (Better damage but you gotta get close) and guns are a safer option, but take longer and necessitate energy rationing (Even with the majorly-improved damage:energy ratio it's not usually that hard to run out). The thing I'm mostly unsure of is if I got the rare/legendary melee weapons strong enough, but hopefully you nerds will keep me informed.

Section Z posted:

Maybe even my fear of "rebalance" mods, but that's usually because they tend to change a whole lot more than I was aiming for.
[selfpromote] Maybe look at mine, everything it changes is mentioned, and I hate mod bloat so don't expect much to get added other than some numbers tweaks to ensure everything works as intended. [/selfpromote]

Section Z posted:

Also, Nthing the "Make torches provide light beyond when placed damnit" opinion.
[selfpromote] I'm currently working on an Exploration Overhaul mod that will give some additional light options. [/selfpromote]

On that note, who has issues with some of the exploration mechanics? What would you like to see added to better explore?

Things I am intending to add in (Suggestions Welcome):
  • Better lighting options; Including more holdable lights, and a couple pets and accessories to illuminate the way (Pets may come a bit later)
  • Tweaks to biomes, including more biomes added in the future; Specifically, more/better biome-specific loots
  • More minidungeons, including some underground ones.
  • A Hazmat suit for poison and a Heat-Resistant Suit for lava
  • A one-handed version of drills (I swear I was doing this before the most recent discussion, ask Cake Bandit :shobon:) so you can dual-wield them, or use a drill and a light; For tiers aegisalt and above (stopping at diamond is silly).

GIVE ME FEEDBACK

EDIT:

Splizwarf posted:

I was a Vanilla For Reasons guy (on the first playthrough anyway) until Starbound. Even then, my resolve was strong until I found the ship-construction mods (the major thing that I wanted and didn't get from Vanilla), specifically the one responsible for this:
Let me just add my ship to that~

Hydrocodone posted:

Have they said or have mod-makers yet found a good way of moving water?
Right now it seems you can make water, but not move or transport it. To do it, add a line in the .projectile files

"actionOnReap" : [ { "action" : "liquid", "liquidId" : 3, "quantity" : 1000 } ],

That will spawn lava (Lava is more awesome than water. FACT). I think water is liquidId 1

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 14, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

God, not this loving argument again. It never goes anywhere, and I don't think the devs are going to change their minds about pickaxes. If you don't like it, mod it.

Its just dumb to have the low tier drills in the first place, like he said. Pickaxes should go up to, say, diamond, then switch to drills for the rest of the tiers.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

If you'd like to contribute some thoughts regarding low-tier drills and their place in the hierarchy of crafted tools it would be a welcome change from firing out empty, dismissive posts. I can't recall seeing them discussed and I can't assume people with diamond pickaxes are suddenly hard up for copper or iron when it comes time to make a new drill.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Reiley posted:

If you'd like to contribute some thoughts regarding low-tier drills and their place in the hierarchy of crafted tools it would be a welcome change from firing out empty, dismissive posts. I can't recall seeing them discussed and I can't assume people with diamond pickaxes are suddenly hard up for copper or iron when it comes time to make a new drill.

I would say that by the time I was able to make drills I was easily able to get up to diamond immediately, however I assume there will be more tiers above diamond in the future.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

SpecialPoliceWong posted:

I've been playing Starbound for a couple days and am finally ready to explore the universe with some goons. I joined the Steam group but there doesn't seem to be a way to coordinate servers since the last post is in April of 2013 (and I'm not reading 230 pages to find a group).

Is it worth finding someone or does everyone play solo for the most part?

We have a pretty neat home planet growing in our universe at starbound.420yoloswag.com

PGS Thread here for the password.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Added the "This mod is totally open-source, with anyone able to use and modify assets as they see fit, with the exception that nobody who has uploaded a mod requiring permission has permission to use this mod for any purpose." clause to my race mod, though we may want to modify it sometime in the near future to give exceptions to anyone using this specific, or a very similar, Permissions Release, since we're technically requiring permissions as well.

Not that big a deal at the moment. It's more to get a point across.

After a few days of rest, the Mantizi are back on track. Tier1 Mantizi armor is done, working on tier2 right this very moment, and I've recruited some people to help me start filling out object descriptions for every item in the whole game, so that'll be pretty fun. I'm well on my way to being the first vanilla-sized modded race!

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Added the "This mod is totally open-source, with anyone able to use and modify assets as they see fit, with the exception that nobody who has uploaded a mod requiring permission has permission to use this mod for any purpose." clause to my race mod, though we may want to modify it sometime in the near future to give exceptions to anyone using this specific, or a very similar, Permissions Release, since we're technically requiring permissions as well.

Not that big a deal at the moment. It's more to get a point across.

After a few days of rest, the Mantizi are back on track. Tier1 Mantizi armor is done, working on tier2 right this very moment, and I've recruited some people to help me start filling out object descriptions for every item in the whole game, so that'll be pretty fun. I'm well on my way to being the first vanilla-sized modded race!

No joke, I hope Chucklefish contacts you to put this in officially. Seriously the Mantizi are awesome.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Thanks! I'd be fine with just knowing whether or not they like 'em, or have even noticed them, to be honest. Either way, I'm going to finish these drat space bugs.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
To better explore:

1. Craftable placeable teleporters. Dying deep in the far side of a big world is a great reason to go find a new world, which is super dick when you died in a neat dungeon or mineral field. I want to build base camps.

2. Motherfuckin' MAPS! :hist101:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there not a way to create spawn points? Still new to the game but that should have been something there since day 1, eh?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Not that we know of. I haven't even seen a mod that handles that sort of thing, so I'm pretty sure the whole spawning business is hard-coded, and we'll just have to wait.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

To better explore:

1. Craftable placeable teleporters. Dying deep in the far side of a big world is a great reason to go find a new world, which is super dick when you died in a neat dungeon or mineral field. I want to build base camps.

2. Motherfuckin' MAPS! :hist101:

Implementing these in differing levels of quality based on your tech level could be exploited for comedy value. Copper/iron level maps? Enjoy your rough sketches with little detail and monster doodles in the unexplored bits! Later tech levels could be auto-mapper scan beacons or whatever high technology fits the progression.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lower tech teleporters just drop you nearby the other end. Hopefully not into a wall.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Later tech levels could be auto-mapper scan beacons or whatever high technology fits the progression.

Welp, now I want a gun that shoots brightly-lit map rockets.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Is there not a way to create spawn points? Still new to the game but that should have been something there since day 1, eh?

As far as I can tell there is no easy way to change spawn points, it appears to be hard coded but the devs have indicated that it will be changeable in the future.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Splizwarf posted:

Welp, now I want a gun that shoots brightly-lit map rockets.

A teleporter that lets me return to the ship when i am underground. Save me the trouble of trying to find my way back from the way i came.

Also on an unrelated note, is there such thing as a bottom to any of the maps, or do you just freeze at some point?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The bottom of every planet is a big ocean of lava. Not many people know this, but the game continues to generate ore in the lava, you just can't see it until you start laying down dirt over it, which then makes it safe to mine.

At the very, very bottom of the lava ocean, you die though, so be careful. You just fall into the core, I guess.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

xxEightxx posted:

A teleporter that lets me return to the ship when i am underground. Save me the trouble of trying to find my way back from the way i came.

Also on an unrelated note, is there such thing as a bottom to any of the maps, or do you just freeze at some point?

Planets have magma cores that melt and kill you. Asteroid fields have invisible bottom portals that send you to the Unexplained Death Zone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

1. No, you melt; there's a liquid magma layer at the bottom.

2. Yes, there is an actual bottom, at the bottom of the magma layer. It's where I put my secret bases. :ssh:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Babe Magnet posted:

The bottom of every planet is a big ocean of lava. Not many people know this, but the game continues to generate ore in the lava, you just can't see it until you start laying down dirt over it, which then makes it safe to mine.

At the very, very bottom of the lava ocean, you die though, so be careful. You just fall into the core, I guess.

I will have to aim for that, that sounds like fun and a good use for the 10,000 blocks of dirt I end up with when I go spelunking.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

xxEightxx posted:

Portable Teleporter apparently does exactly that.

Someone else also made a mod for point-to-point surface-side teleporters that can move you from one point on a planet to another point on that same planet: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/proof-of-concept-planetside-teleporters.1031/

No luck with spawn points or beam-down points yet, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, since you can't make colored dirt bricks yet, that's what I end up using my dirt for too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

XboxPants posted:

Portable Teleporter apparently does exactly that.

Someone else also made a mod for point-to-point surface-side teleporters that can move you from one point on a planet to another point on that same planet: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/proof-of-concept-planetside-teleporters.1031/

No luck with spawn points or beam-down points yet, though.

Point to point is just fine (hopefully more than 2 points?). Leave one at spawn, no need to change the spawn point.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/skellies.994/updates

I did a thing...

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Planets have magma cores that melt and kill you. Asteroid fields have invisible bottom portals that send you to the Unexplained Death Zone.

I kind of hope they eventually just make asteroids have top and bottom sides, and maybe make the camera flip over when you dig all the way to the other side.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Desideratus posted:

Oh hey, let me just leave this rebalance mod here (THE SELF PROMOTION CONTINUES). Probably has some bugs or typos, but it loads and works, for the ~20 minutes I tested it. As always, feedback is very appreciated.

When you say that you've adjusted gun drop rate, does this mean guns will now drop in the early sectors when using your mod?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Desideratus posted:

Is there way to get everything out of this except the changes to melee combat? I actually vastly prefer it how it is right now, but would like the rest of the changes herein.

(unless I'm not allowed to use it because of my Estus Flask mod :ohdear:)

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

When you say that you've adjusted gun drop rate, does this mean guns will now drop in the early sectors when using your mod?

Yes it does and it is AWESOME. This man is a genius.

Kyrosiris posted:

Is there way to get everything out of this except the changes to melee combat? I actually vastly prefer it how it is right now, but would like the rest of the changes herein.

The change is super minor, it makes melee swings more accurate thats all, basically youll hit what the animation shows not just that general area. Or that's what I believe is happening.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Geokinesis posted:

Yessir (or ma'am)! They're crappy, but hey they're guns~

Kyrosiris posted:

Kea posted:

The change is super minor, it makes melee swings more accurate thats all, basically youll hit what the animation shows not just that general area. Or that's what I believe is happening.
Kea is correct in regards to hitbox changes, but if the new system is 2pro4you you should learn to play scrublord delete CombatRebalance/Projectiles/Swoosh, because the game handles melee weapons like a projectile (weird as hell I know) and that file contains all the alterations to them. If it's the tweaked damage values you have issue with, delete CombatRebalance/items/swords.

Neither of these alterations should gently caress anything up.

You are also correct, in that you cannot reuse any codes or assets in your own mods because you have a mod not fully open; I know why that's the case (not your art assets), and I'm sorry, but this is the sorta thing I don't wanna make exceptions for, goon or not :shobon:
You can, however, freely butcher your own copy as long as you aren't redistributing any of it's content :buddy:

EDIT: You can also hit me up on Steam any time for advice or collaborations; Same as my forums username, and also with a Galo Sengen avatar~

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 15, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Desideratus posted:

Kea is correct in regards to hitbox changes, but if the new system is 2pro4you you should learn to play scrublord delete CombatRebalance/Projectiles/Swoosh, because the game handles melee weapons like a projectile (weird as hell I know) and that file contains all the alterations to them. If it's the tweaked damage values you have issue with, delete CombatRebalance/items/swords.

Yeah, I know you (or someone) had mentioned that melee weapon hitboxes functioned like a projectile, and I actually like that behavior. :shobon: My future as a MLG pro Starbounder is basically nil because of this though, I'm certain.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Holy poo poo, that point to point teleporter mod looks... insane. It looks like you can write hex location coordinates to anywhere on that planet's map, then port to them? He says "this is dangerous" but all I can hear is "this is awesome".

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I dunno man I kind of think this should be hot pink or neon green.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Does the game run pretty poorly for everyone in, for example, a prison or is that an issue only I am having?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

antidote posted:

Does the game run pretty poorly for everyone in, for example, a prison or is that an issue only I am having?
Try running Starbound (OpenGL) from the launcher, if you aren't already. Other than that, it's very unoptimized at this stage, so if you have a bad computer or an AMD processor (Redundant, I know :v: ) you'll see slowdown when a bunch of things go onscreen at once.

• Locked thread