Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Well they need to do something about balance in this game. shake things up a bit. I agree with many of you that rags got nerfed too hard, but all im seeing in tourneys these days is wolverine and thor, over and over. And guess what my 1st taeam of choice is? Yep, you guessed it, wolverine and thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody get a daily reward today?

I did.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Anybody get a daily reward today?

I did, but it took 2 matches before it showed up.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Last week I got three or four daily rewards in one day; since then, I haven't gotten any at all. Stuck on a check mark on Day 81.

Meanwhile, another day, another pair of Ares covers. It is nice of them to be handing them out like this.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just got my 4th yellow Aeries cover. Anyone worked out how to build him yet? I'm thinking 3/5/5 or 4/4/5, the 2-turn countdown on the damage/healing tile for yellow seems important.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Ugh I don't have Invisible Woman so I can't grind enough to get more Aries'. At least I got one, so I won't be locked out of future missions.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Ares should go 4/4/5. The difference between 4 and 5 on Rampage is 5% max health (which is insignificant), the difference between 4 and 5 on Onslaught is -1 AP cost (which is negligible), push Sunder to the moon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

delfin posted:

Ares should go 4/4/5. The difference between 4 and 5 on Rampage is 5% max health (which is insignificant), the difference between 4 and 5 on Onslaught is -1 AP cost (which is negligible), push Sunder to the moon.

Thanks for the confirmation. My inner paranoia always yells that I'm missing something and will screw up the build.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Man, the competition for the hulk tournament is near nonexistent. I may just be able to get a punisher cover for myself if it keeps at this rate.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Wait until the last couple hours. I went to bed about an hour before the end of round 1 and dropped about 40 places in the ranking.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Peechka posted:

Well they need to do something about balance in this game. shake things up a bit. I agree with many of you that rags got nerfed too hard, but all im seeing in tourneys these days is wolverine and thor, over and over. And guess what my 1st taeam of choice is? Yep, you guessed it, wolverine and thor.

I'm terrible about that. I'll go "ugh, why does everyone use Wolverine and Thor all the time" then I look at my team of Wolverine, Thor and forced character/meatwall (usually Hulk). I'm just a hypocrite when it comes to this game.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Did anyone's hunt progress get reset? Mine just did but it kept my points.

Very strange, but I'll take the free ISO.

Let's go, wolverine and Thor...

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I can't blame anyone for Thorverine-ing because players are shoved violently in their direction. Really, who else is a non-grinder supposed to use? The game is pretty generous with 2* covers and Wolverine / Thor in particular, Storm got beaten with the nerf bat, other 2*s aren't as potent on offense and even 3*s aren't all that useful until they have a handful of covers on them. Thor and Wolverine are tools to obtain better tools, but they're the best tools you're going to have for a long while unless you either spend mondo cash or persevere.

My current 2* tiering goes something like:

A: Thor, Wolverine
B: OBW is solid once built out but takes a lot of covers and some strike tile support for max effectiveness. Storm has two good powers but the Tempest nerf hurt. Ares looks like a fun damage factory.
C: Hawkeye is great when event-buffed and okay otherwise. Cap is similarly buff-hungry and PvE-focused. Magneto Now has potential but is a little fragile. All three are dependent to some extent on Countdown tiles, which is a weakness.
D: Daken is Ghetto Wolverine without any active skills. Bullseye needs buffing. Moonstone got buffed and is a little better than before but still has trouble being useful.
F: Bag-Man is Bag-Man.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

head58 posted:

Wait until the last couple hours. I went to bed about an hour before the end of round 1 and dropped about 40 places in the ranking.

Yeah, it always collapses at the end. I guess this is why they want us to buy shields

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

delfin posted:

A: Thor, Wolverine
B: OBW is solid once built out but takes a lot of covers and some strike tile support for max effectiveness. Storm has two good powers but the Tempest nerf hurt. Ares looks like a fun damage factory.
C: Hawkeye is great when event-buffed and okay otherwise. Cap is similarly buff-hungry and PvE-focused. Magneto Now has potential but is a little fragile. All three are dependent to some extent on Countdown tiles, which is a weakness.
D: Daken is Ghetto Wolverine without any active skills. Bullseye needs buffing. Moonstone got buffed and is a little better than before but still has trouble being useful.
F: Bag-Man is Bag-Man.

This seems about right, but I think you overvalue Hawkeye way too much. Even buffed, I hate having to be stuck with him on this event, because he never gets his countdowns off. At least Cap can place his own, which is huge. I'd probably place Hawkeye in his own tier between D and F (conveniently, there's a letter that fits between those two. It's serendipitous.) Even though he's boosted for the event, when I don't -have- to use him, I stick all kinds of people in his slot, usually classic Storm and sometimes even the lower tier Hawkeye. There's something seriously hosed up when you're not even as good as a lower version of yourself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I replaced Thor with Model 40 and never looked back, but I built him back when Model 40 covers was the consolation prize for literally every tournament.

I'd agree with those 2* ratings - it'll be interesting to see what happens to Hawkeye during his review since he doesn't actually seem in need of a buff or a nerf, and is in a good place compared to the 2* villains.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah Hawkeye seems like he's in a good place, but both of his actives rely on countdown tiles and that's sort of a bummer. You need to sculpt a good board to use them, as opposed to fire them off when it will actually help you, and you still need to go 2 or 3 turns hoping you don't get unlucky. Hawkeyes blue is one of the most unwieldy powers in the game. A four turn stun and a bunch of damage is super cool, but you need to be targeting the right person on the turn it goes off and it needs to get there.

I like the Punisher black power design when it comes to countdown tiles. That little bit of AOE damage attached to it makes it feel a lot less bad when the tile it creates gets matched with 1 turn remaining on it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Veryslightlymad posted:

This seems about right, but I think you overvalue Hawkeye way too much. Even buffed, I hate having to be stuck with him on this event, because he never gets his countdowns off. At least Cap can place his own, which is huge. I'd probably place Hawkeye in his own tier between D and F (conveniently, there's a letter that fits between those two. It's serendipitous.) Even though he's boosted for the event, when I don't -have- to use him, I stick all kinds of people in his slot, usually classic Storm and sometimes even the lower tier Hawkeye. There's something seriously hosed up when you're not even as good as a lower version of yourself.

Seriously? I get his countdowns off all the time unless I'm against someone with massive board-clearing power like Rag or Juggernaut. I had him in my primary team until I levelled up a OBW. He's around 62 right now (most of my primaries are in their 60's until I see a reason to go higher for non-PVP), so I use him, 60 Cap, and 65 Wolvie for the current event.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
EDIT^^--Ragnarok also happens to be one of the main enemies in this event, and is annoyingly in some missions where you need to use Hawkeye. Moonstone and Yelena have also thwarted my vain attempts to use Hawkeye's skills, which is especially awful given how many resources Yelena needs to build in the meantime. Literally the only reason why Hawkeye isn't my pick for worst two star character is he happens to be in the same bracket as the game's actual joke character.
~~~~
I'm honestly surprised at how many people are OK with Modern Hawkeye. Like, I prioritize using Cap's red over his in the event, even though it does less damage and targets two less people. His abilities are way too expensive for stuff that almost never goes off. Avoid is annoying because you can't really pick when it procs. There's another guy in the thread building a specialty Hawkeye just to keep him from making his better characters take damage. Modern Hawkeye is actively bad, in my view. Like, not even "He's not that great", he honestly feels like a liability when he's on a team.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 14, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Playing through these events have made me realize I've been kind of stupid in PvP - I've really undervalued teams as a defense. Apart from shields, it might also be worthwhile to build up one of the heavy hitters like Ares or Hulk that can hurt your own team. Not great when grinding, but since the damage you take on defense doesn't mean anything, they might be a good enough deterrent to maintain rank.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Playing through these events have made me realize I've been kind of stupid in PvP - I've really undervalued teams as a defense. Apart from shields, it might also be worthwhile to build up one of the heavy hitters like Ares or Hulk that can hurt your own team. Not great when grinding, but since the damage you take on defense doesn't mean anything, they might be a good enough deterrent to maintain rank.

A high-level Hulk is awesome for defense, he's a massive pile of HP and Anger at 5 is really annoying to deal with.

Edit: Details on the 3* Wolverine:

Wolverine (Patch)
3 Star Rarity (Rare)
Berserker Rage - Green 9 AP
Deals 237 damage to the current target and creates 2 Strike tiles for each team (Green for allies, Purple for enemies) DEV NOTE: 24 damage Strike tile base
Level Upgrades

Level 2: Deals 284 damage.
Level 3: Creates 3 Strike tiles for each team.
Level 4: Creates 4 Strike tiles for each team.
Level 5: Creates 6 Strike tiles for each team.
Best There Is - Red 14 AP
Wolverine deals 16 damage for each tile on the board that bears his icon. DEV NOTE: 24 damage Strike tile base for allies, 12 for enemies
Level Upgrades

Level 2: Creates a Red Strike tile for each team.
Level 3: Creates 2 Red Strike tiles for each team.
Level 4: 22 damage for each icon
Level 5: 35 damage for each icon
Healing Factor - (PASSIVE) Yellow
(PASSIVE) Every turn there are 12 or more Yellow tiles, Wolverine's healing factor restores 59 health.

Level 2: Requires 11 or more Yellow tiles.
Level 3: Requires 10 or more Yellow tiles.
Level 4: Recovers 15 health if there are fewer than 10 Yellow tiles.
Level 5: Recovers 59 health in all circumstances.

Max Damage
52 / 60 / 12 / 67 / 11 / 10 / 4.0x / 3

Max 5800 Health
Berserker Rage - 1780 Damage, 148 Strike tiles
Best There Is - 216 damage per tile, 148 Strike tiles for allies, 74 for enemies
Healing Factor - 371 Health per turn

Loki's black would be pretty cool with Patch.

Victis fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 14, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Got a 4 star wolverine cover today off a heroic token, the second one this week too. Here's hoping they keep rolling in and they make him good with the update.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Still gonna believe that Patch exists when I see it myself, or when someone dev-ish acknowledges it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm honestly surprised at how many people are OK with Modern Hawkeye. Like, I prioritize using Cap's red over his in the event, even though it does less damage and targets two less people. His abilities are way too expensive for stuff that almost never goes off. Avoid is annoying because you can't really pick when it procs. There's another guy in the thread building a specialty Hawkeye just to keep him from making his better characters take damage. Modern Hawkeye is actively bad, in my view. Like, not even "He's not that great", he honestly feels like a liability when he's on a team.
I've never had a big issue with his stuff not going off - it's fairly trivial to protect countdown tiles from the enemy team unless you're spamming them out as soon as you get the AP with no consideration for their abilities or the tile layout. Avoid procs almost every time even at 3, and from memory he wanted a specialty Hawkeye specifically because the rest of his team was underlevelled and weak so he needed Hawkeye to soak some hits, not because Avoid itself is a bad ability for a character with <3k health.

If you're having issues with Moonstone and Yelena loving up your countdowns the cause isn't Modern Hawkeye - it's not enough Astonishing Wolverine.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

delfin posted:

Still gonna believe that Patch exists when I see it myself, or when someone dev-ish acknowledges it.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=31319#p31319
The pasted text above was a direct quote from IceX on the official forum.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I dislike most skills that place random countdown tiles because it's simply too random. If it requires a specific color tile, that could be the next thing matched (or you lack one on the board and can't even use your skill). If it picks a random tile to change into a colored countdown tile it could place itself between two like colors and clear itself with a match. And if you're facing anyone with board clearing abilities or environmental skills then your ability gets wasted too.

It's like that planned Invisible Woman upgrade with the random yellow invisibility tile. You pay 18 yellow for an ability that could get cleared out immediately next turn if it was placed in a bad spot and the AI guns for it. I'd rather pay a bit more AP for the ability to place it where I want, like Captain America's skills. The enemy will rarely ever get a chance to wipe them out with regular matching if you're smart with their placement.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

chrisf posted:

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=31319#p31319
The pasted text above was a direct quote from IceX on the official forum.

drat it, I was hoping it was a hoax. The strikes-for-both-sides thing isn't promising (maybe Loki will finally have a use) and the whole concept of Patch has always struck me as being pretty stupid on Clark Kent's Eyeglasses levels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey, at least it's not Weapon X Wolverine. Dont really need to see him naked with only a metal helmet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Eddain posted:

If it picks a random tile to change into a colored countdown tile it could place itself between two like colors and clear itself with a match.
I think Symbiote Snare is actually the only ability that behaves this way.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SynthOrange posted:

Hey, at least it's not Weapon X Wolverine. Dont really need to see him naked with only a metal helmet.

There are a few variations to choose from.

Though I, of course, have my favorites.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Another benefit of shields: You can sit there and keep killing the same shielded whale over and over again without fear of retaliation because they're AFK! I kept nailing the same guy for over 40 points at least five times.

After a three hour binge, I had to shield up at 900 points. I can't take any more tonight.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm too overloaded with stuff to do in game. The Hunt and hulk tourneys? gah.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I'm shielded at 2000 points in the hulk tourney, and coming THIRD. I just can't be arsed going for first though when I only need a punisher black, and there's no more progression rewards.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

SynthOrange posted:

I'm too overloaded with stuff to do in game. The Hunt and hulk tourneys? gah.

I've sort of lazed out on these events once I maxed Punisher's covers. I don't feel an urgent need to max ares right away and there isn't much else if I'm not going to grind out 1st places.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shielded at exactly 800 points and I'm #3 in my bracket. Top 2 are in the 1400+ range so gently caress that. Shield should drop with a few hours to go so I'll see how the bracket looks in the morning and hopefully get to 900-1000 before shielding one last time. Really aiming for a Top 5 finish since I really want those Punisher covers.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

delfin posted:

I want fat & balding Wolvie variant.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
God I hate Hawkeye Modern. Nothing is worse than a character who you have to wait for their abilities to go off. I've yet to hit anyone with his red or blue because either I kill everyone before they can go off or the computer gets a lucky chain that knocks it out on the last turn. :argh:

I've also given up on getting Ares. Never can get enough points to reach that threshold.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

head58 posted:

I just woke up to having been hit for 100 points and roughly as many places on the Hulk event ranking. They really want you to buy those shields.

Only started to play a few days ago, and it's even slightly impressive how many temptations for buying into their IAPs there are. The game is pretty goddamn addictive, but I'm not willing to splash any cash on it, at least not yet. Maybe if I become more invested in it...

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
What time are the lightning rounds supposed to start again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

When I finally got round to joining a Hulk tournament this morning, the bracket had five people in it. Filled up pretty quick after that but it gave me a laugh.

delfin posted:

I'd like that big white hairy one, what's his deal? And is there one with a Captain America style shield but with a maple leaf on it? Because that's what that one at the top looks like. That's a whole bunch of Wolverines there. They could do a spin-off game, Wolverine Puzzle Quest.