Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

VanSandman posted:

Slowly escalate their anti-Obama conspiracy theories until they are ready to become domestic terrorists, then report them to the FBI.

They are so there. Making report now, just for funsies. Also, one believes that Ancient Aliens is a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Probably shouldn't make reports to the FBI for funsies. They are notorious for not having a sense of humor.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

VanSandman posted:

Probably shouldn't make reports to the FBI for funsies. They are notorious for not having a sense of humor.

Naah. They're cool, man. Also, I am not actually making a report. They've moved on to a Hillary Clinton vs. Ted Cruz dem off. I can leave in 15.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

poopkitty posted:

Listening to my co workers talk about politics is awful. I would rather get my teeth cleaned by the mean dragon lady hygenist. My co workers are all retired military guys between 45 and 55.

leave pamphlets around about how global warming is a thing that's going to kill us all and how trickle down theory is bullshit

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i enjoy talking to people about illegal immigration, because my grandfather was an illegal immigrant and i like dropping this information at exactly the most awkward moment

when i was younger i used to try reasoning with them by saying "uh are you aware that the vast majority of australia's illegal immigrants are wealthy english-speaking white retirees from britain, canada and the u.s.a. who don't bother ever getting documentation and are just as much of a drain on our system as boat people from sri lanka, if not more?" but for some reason they never seemed to care about that particular problem

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I got a copper IUD instead of taking the pill. My periods are heavier and more painful, but it's non-hormonal so it doesn't gently caress with my moods. Plus I don't have to remember to take a pill at the same time each day, which is extra good because I'm very absentminded. I would recommend it to most anybody. Read about the copper IUD here.

I am sorry you have a sucky time with birth control.

Same here. The pill actually helped my moods, but it gave me horrible migraines so now I have the IUD and I love it. :)

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

i enjoy talking to people about illegal immigration, because my grandfather was an illegal immigrant and i like dropping this information at exactly the most awkward moment

when i was younger i used to try reasoning with them by saying "uh are you aware that the vast majority of australia's illegal immigrants are wealthy english-speaking white retirees from britain, canada and the u.s.a. who don't bother ever getting documentation and are just as much of a drain on our system as boat people from sri lanka, if not more?" but for some reason they never seemed to care about that particular problem

This is possible? I looked into emigrating after retirement (with my own income and health insurance) and all signs said no. But how do you just show up and not leave? I had no idea Australia had an immigration problem. Learnin' things. (And I apologize if that made me seem ignorant.)

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

oh hey an earthquake just happened

I like that california just has the earth shaking and not hurricanes or poo poo like that

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Portals posted:

I like that california just has the earth shaking and not hurricanes or poo poo like that

Also wildfires.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

poopkitty posted:

This is possible? I looked into emigrating after retirement (with my own income and health insurance) and all signs said no. But how do you just show up and not leave? I had no idea Australia had an immigration problem. Learnin' things. (And I apologize if that made me seem ignorant.)
we don't have an immigration problem really. we have a lot of refugees arriving illegally from wartorn countries (often by boat, and northern australian waters are dangerous so a lot of them don't make it :() and the issue gets blown completely out of proportion by the type of person who hates refugees. right now there's a right-wing demagogue in power so illegal immigration seems like a major threat, but in the scheme of things it's a very minor problem, so you definitely don't seem ignorant for not knowing about it!

as for showing up and just not leaving, i'm not actually sure how they get away with it. it seems like there'd be problems with getting healthcare and accommodation and so on, unless they find some way to pay cash-in-hand for everything. honestly i think everybody should come here if they can, it's a pretty cool country when it's not on fire and/or underwater

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i mean we're not perfect but we have cattledogs

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

Australia is awesome and boat people are sad and also so is war :words:

I have been there 4 times now and loved every moment in Australia. And I have worked with several Aussies and loved them, too. I'm kind of torn between Australia and Britain, really. And Texas, because that's where I KNOW I can live.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
let me know if you decide to emigrate illegally, you can live in my cupboard and share my diet of dried lentils and paprika until you find a landlord who'll accept rent payments under the table

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

hey, so was mine! :italy::respek::toot:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:italy::respek::ussr:

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Today at work I grabbed a random piece of non safety sealed lipstick to see if it was ok and it wasn't. Some jerkbagosaurus had wound it out and then put the cap back on so it all got mashed up against the end of the cap. My fury knows no bounds. Also add Rimmel to the list of things you shouldn't buy.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Zeth posted:

Some jerkbagosaurus had wound it out and then put the cap back on so it all got mashed up against the end of the cap..
that FUCKER

this has happened to my personal stash on occasion, but it's usually the work of a small child so i can't respond with murder

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Portals posted:

you must not be far from me cuz I felt it too. I was sorta like hey yay been a while since I've felt my entire world shaking

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

let me know if you decide to emigrate illegally, you can live in my cupboard and share my diet of dried lentils and paprika until you find a landlord who'll accept rent payments under the table

As long as you live on the outside and not the middle, because except for the fact that Coober Pedy sounds funny and Liz Phair sang about Alice Springs, I'd like to stick to the coast. I haven't been to the southeast yet, just WA, NT and QLD.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Zeth posted:

Today at work I grabbed a random piece of non safety sealed lipstick to see if it was ok and it wasn't. Some jerkbagosaurus had wound it out and then put the cap back on so it all got mashed up against the end of the cap. My fury knows no bounds. Also add Rimmel to the list of things you shouldn't buy.

Bummer. I was thinking about it. My options here are so limited.

And Sephora forgot to send the ONE thing I really needed like now in my package and they're going to send it but I feel bad for ratting out the packer. :(

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

poopkitty posted:

As long as you live on the outside and not the middle, because except for the fact that Coober Pedy sounds funny and Liz Phair sang about Alice Springs, I'd like to stick to the coast. I haven't been to the southeast yet, just WA, NT and QLD.
i used to live way out in the sticks; then i moved progressively eastward as i aged and now i'm in sydney. i have nowhere left to go but into the ocean to be with the dolphins. (or new zealand but that's hardly an option)

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

we don't have an immigration problem really. we have a lot of refugees arriving illegally from wartorn countries (often by boat, and northern australian waters are dangerous so a lot of them don't make it :() and the issue gets blown completely out of proportion by the type of person who hates refugees. right now there's a right-wing demagogue in power so illegal immigration seems like a major threat, but in the scheme of things it's a very minor problem, so you definitely don't seem ignorant for not knowing about it!

as for showing up and just not leaving, i'm not actually sure how they get away with it. it seems like there'd be problems with getting healthcare and accommodation and so on, unless they find some way to pay cash-in-hand for everything. honestly i think everybody should come here if they can, it's a pretty cool country when it's not on fire and/or underwater

just fyi it's not illegal to seek asylum by boat. the 'illegal' thing is a complete lie and it shouldn't be given any traction in the media and no one should tolerate people calling refugees 'illegal', much less the government. our government is the one breaking international law

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Fruity Gordo posted:

just fyi it's not illegal to seek asylum by boat. the 'illegal' thing is a complete lie and it shouldn't be given any traction in the media and no one should tolerate people calling refugees 'illegal', much less the government. our government is the one breaking international law
i did not know any of this, but now i do. thank you.

so our immigration "problem" is even less of a real problem than i thought it was

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fruity Gordo posted:

my grandfather, on the other hand, came to the us illegally

if he had tried to enter legally he would have been denied due to racist / eugenicist quotas on the number of southern Europeans, so good for him

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i'm in sydney too! there are some nice sydgoons in auspol, i went drinking with them a few weeks ago. i'll let you know when the next one is in case you get the burning urge to get hammered with nerds

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

poopkitty posted:

Bummer. I was thinking about it. My options here are so limited.

And Sephora forgot to send the ONE thing I really needed like now in my package and they're going to send it but I feel bad for ratting out the packer. :(

People should send them angry letters about how we won't buy their lipstick until they start safety sealing it. Boycott unsafe makeup.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

a travelling HEGEL posted:

if he had tried to enter legally he would have been denied due to racist / eugenicist quotas on the number of southern Europeans, so good for him
my grandfather ran away from the russian navy and snuck in to avoid being shut out by the white australia policy. once he'd learnt english he apparently didn't have a problem, because he could pass for white despite being some mysterious romani/jewish melange. then he defied russian stereotypes by becoming a tragic alcoholic and dying of liver failure. :smug:

...wait

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i sometimes give people that whole account when they get started on immigrants

if nothing else it shuts them up for a while

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
People like your grandfather make me feel like a big, lame, soft loser.

My granddad joined the US Army as a Ski Patroller in order to emigrate from Canada.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

i did not know any of this, but now i do. thank you.

so our immigration "problem" is even less of a real problem than i thought it was

lol yeah it's really hosed up. as far as people over-staying their visas is a problem the vast majority of people who are overstaying are from the uk and ireland. bc we're a signatory to the refugee convention we have an obligation to accept refugee petitions from anyone who lands on australian territory (so this includes christmas island). the way we get around allowing refugees into the community is to smack them in concentration camps indefinitely and pretend that they're being 'processed'. once people's claims are processed something like 98% of people who arrive are found to be 'genuine refugees', whatever that means.

also, they keep going on about 'queue-jumpers' but there is no queue. people in refugee camps in the global south (like syrians in camps in lebanon for example, or sudanese people in camps in egypt) aren't in a queue, claims are assessed based on need and, as in most things, if you can bribe someone you're in a better position. so you could be in a camp in lebanon for four years and not be permanently settled before someone who showed up one year ago because their personal circumstances are deemed more dire. it's like humanitarian triage. and as soon as you turn up in a country which is a signatory to the convention (like lebanon, egypt, australia, etc) they have to make an attempt to settle you. the reason why people from sri lanka and afghanistan are trying to get here and don't just stay in laces like indonesia, png or malaysia is because those countries aren't signatories so stateless people have zero rights and no prospects. and in the case of hazara people from afghanistan they're just as likely to be oppressed in pakistan

anyway this has been a refugee post from your pal fruitums. australia is poo poo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

my grandfather ran away from the russian navy and snuck in to avoid being shut out by the white australia policy. once he'd learnt english he apparently didn't have a problem, because he could pass for white despite being some mysterious romani/jewish melange. then he defied russian stereotypes by becoming a tragic alcoholic and dying of liver failure. :smug:

...wait
hey, italian navy here
wow, did they ever lose world war 2!

poopkitty posted:

People like your grandfather make me feel like a big, lame, soft loser.

My granddad joined the US Army as a Ski Patroller in order to emigrate from Canada.
i have a friend whose grandfather walked from south america to california after he took a boat from japan to south america by accident. it took a year or something. then he married a picture bride who was flat terrified to go to the us and marry a man she had never seen, but she did it anyway

then the us government took their little farm and put them in an internment camp during world war 2, and when they got out they started over

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

...wait

objectively a good grandfather

a bunch of my family came over in the 30s from italy bc lol fascists, and then australia being awesome threw them all in internment camps during ww2. because people who fled your wartime enemy are definitely going to be supporting them in wartime. :australia: :itwaspoo:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fruity Gordo posted:

a bunch of my family came over in the 30s from italy bc lol fascists, and then australia being awesome threw them all in internment camps during ww2. because people who fled your wartime enemy are definitely going to be supporting them in wartime. :australia: :itwaspoo:
where were they from? we were from vicoequenze and naples

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it is so weird meeting actual italians

i recognise mannerisms that i saw in my own father but attenuated

it's like a dog looking at a wolf: i could have been that

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

then the us government took their little farm and put them in an internment camp during world war 2, and when they got out they started over

And I know so many folks who are deep in debt and drive SUVs and only drink imported bottled organic water and wonder why every other country feels superior. And bitch constantly when someone posts spoilers on FB. Mr.Kittys granddad dropped out of McGill to fly planes and then got out of the war alive and went back to McGill and graduated summa cum laude. And then he was on the team that invented RAID. He used to have all kinds of bugs in his garage. Like hissing cockroaches and stuff. Cool dude.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my family history is just an endless parade of people of wildly varying ethnicities, cultures and religions migrating to australia, marrying drunken violent white catholics and getting forcibly assimilated :smith: luckily my great-grandmother actually ended up kicking her rear end in a top hat husband to the curb, and then my grandmother kicked her rear end in a top hat husband to the curb, and now we're finally getting a bit of our identity back. :unsmith:

we do all still drink a lot though

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

where were they from? we were from vicoequenze and naples

some from lipari and some from trieste. i got all the northern colouring but my mum just looks so woggy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fruity Gordo posted:

some from lipari...
aaag sicilians

quote:

and some from trieste
aaag the hated north

quote:

my mum just looks so woggy
same