Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

my background is anglo as gently caress and its kinda depressing
don't feel bad - to be continental european is to never be sure who you're meant to be hating today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

...who you're meant to be hating today
every other italian outside about a fifty mile radius from yourself, and probably within that circle as well

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

my background is anglo as gently caress and its kinda depressing

It's okay, Sexman. It's not your fault.

When my kids ask their heritage, we tell them "Murican." We're mutts, both of us, except that Mr.Kitty is MUCH closer to his origins than I, but we're still just a big brew of awesomeness. My kids are always hispanic on forms though, just in case. Mr. looks it, and so does little Mr. Kitty. But Little Miss Kitty is as anglo as momma.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my italian-australian friend was talking about going to a wedding in bali, and said she couldn't have a wedding in bali because her grandmother wouldn't want to travel

i jokingly said "just have the wedding without her then"

i've never seen someone look so aghast

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Avshalom posted:

don't feel bad - to be continental european is to never be sure who you're meant to be hating today

but its so drat boring

there's some Irish in there but I'm pretty sure its not even the cool oppressed peasant Irish

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
given my luck online, said friend will probably turn out to have been fruity gordo all along

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when my kids ask about their heritage i'm just going to cackle and wave my hands drunkenly

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i'm trying to imagine either of my grandmothers at my wedding and it's hilarious since my entire dating history consists of women, african men and queer punks. one grannie would be yelling 'white power' and the other would be screeching rosaries to pray the gay away

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

when my kids ask about their heritage i'm just going to cackle and wave my hands drunkenly
but seriously

russian food is loving delicious as hell

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
throw beets at them and tell them to guess

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
ROOT VEGETABLES AND DILL

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

a travelling HEGEL posted:

ROOT VEGETABLES AND DILL

And vodka.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

but seriously

russian food is loving delicious as hell
it loses something when you're not allowed to add sour cream to meat dishes :(

Fruity Gordo posted:

i'm trying to imagine either of my grandmothers at my wedding and it's hilarious since my entire dating history consists of women, african men and queer punks. one grannie would be yelling 'white power' and the other would be screeching rosaries to pray the gay away
"accidentally" give them the wrong address and send them to someone else's wedding instead

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

thought ladythread would like to know about a thing that exists, the first-person cat simulator - 'a first-person game about being a cat and destroying everything'

catlateral damage

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I love you, you fabulous spider, you.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i've already told my grandmother that my wedding dress will be a wearable croquembouche made entirely out of profiteroles moulded around my body

the wedding cake will also be a croquembouche

the main course will also be a croquembouche, but made of chinese dumplings

i'm going for a theme here

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

it loses something when you're not allowed to add sour cream to meat dishes :(
or butter, jeeze

you could use chicken fat though, that's p good

holy hell, you'll never eat schmaltz brot, which is god's own food dish

sorry bro

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

but its so drat boring

there's some Irish in there but I'm pretty sure its not even the cool oppressed peasant Irish

You don't get to say you're Irish unless you've suffered actually living here. I'm talking to you, Boston on St. Paddys.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Shannonmcn posted:

You don't get to say you're Irish unless you've suffered actually living here. I'm talking to you, Boston on St. Paddys.

My Jenny did (grandmother.) She was freaking awesome. And lived in Boston after her folks left Ireland starving. She was so fun to get mad. Brogues are barely understandable when angry yelling.

E; I don't generally claim Ireland. But I am named for her.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

i've already told my grandmother that my wedding dress will be a wearable croquembouche made entirely out of profiteroles moulded around my body

the wedding cake will also be a croquembouche

the main course will also be a croquembouche, but made of chinese dumplings

i'm going for a theme here
the wedding night will involve a delicious strip tease

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shannonmcn posted:

(anything)-americans who are really into that identity are weeaboos, but for themselves

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
when i get married i will have two wedding cakes and one of them will be full of weed

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Shannonmcn posted:

the side of my father's family that weren't jewish/roma were first-gen irish-australian seventh day adventists

you can see why things didn't work out

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
lmao

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I'm basically white as gently caress

should be hearing back from the 23andMe people in a month or so, looking forward to seeing precisely what types of white-as-gently caress I am

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Portals posted:

should be hearing back from the 23andMe people in a month or so, looking forward to seeing precisely what types of white-as-gently caress I am

Ooh. Cool. I'm really thinking about doing this. Really I'm hoping that I'm a long lost princess and they'll find me this way and I'll get to see the floating lanterns finally.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shannonmcn posted:

yeah I meant I had ancestors who at some point were from Ireland, I don't pretend to be Irish because that's just awful

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Portals posted:

that looks cool as heck

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

(anything)-americans who are really into that identity are weeaboos, but for themselves

I'm like 1/256th Norman-invader, this is me, respect my culture:

Haro

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shannonmcn posted:

I'm like 1/256th Norman-invader, this is me, respect my culture:

Haro

i see you've met forums poster Rodrigo Diaz

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I just found a new NK documentary. Pick it's frontline, PBS.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secret-state-of-north-korea/

I will be in my chambers with my Strongbow and Juche. Y'all have a good night! (or day, morning, afternoon, whatever.)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Family on my dad's side is German in origin but they've been in Canada since the 1780s, so any trace of German ethnicity was stamped out long ago. Canadian maritimer with a splash of Acadian now, I guess.

On my mom's side, my nana & grandpa came from Northern Ireland after WW2 and maintained pretty strong expat relations with friends and family from the homeland. My nana also lived with us since I was maybe three, so loyalist Irishness-ness was a huge influence growing up.

Also, I can't say "nana" to people outside the family without feeling like a dingus.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Spanish American. poo poo ain't easier than that

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One of the most American things you can do is to tenuously grasp onto the cultural identity of your immigrant great grandparents and scream an shout how you're Irish or something but the only person in your family who's ever stepped foot in Ireland died before hitler killed a Buncha Polska

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'd like to know why it's always Ireland? North and south are both broken crappy places to live in comparison to most other places in the world. Belfast got a Hollister there a few years ago and there are still 30 minute queues outside it some Saturdays because we have so loving little to get excited about.

Why do people never rave about their great French ancestors, paint themselves with the original Tricolore and drink wine and eat brie to excess on Bastille day?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shannonmcn posted:

I'd like to know why it's always Ireland? North and south are both broken crappy places to live in comparison to most other places in the world. Belfast got a Hollister there a few years ago and there are still 30 minute queues outside it some Saturdays because we have so loving little to get excited about.

Why do people never rave about their great French ancestors, paint themselves with the original Tricolore and drink wine and eat brie to excess on Bastille day?

I don't know either but that's the largest stereotype aside from Italians. The polish are usually low key about it though.

And it's really funny how American some Irish girls try to be. I knew one when I lived in Spain that was straight from Dublin who spray tanned and even watched American football.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shannonmcn posted:

i have no illustrious ancestry

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I think it was a result of the unprecedented influx of Irish immigrants resulting from the potato famine that put a ton of Irish in the same place at the same time, so you had these huge Irish immigrant communities that were first forced into ghettos and then slowly integrated without ever losing their ethnic identity. Now "Irish" is completely white and mainstream but it hasn't shed its legacy quite yet. Almost 1,000,000 arrived in the 1850s alone. Wikipedia says 4.7 million total, with the bulk in a 70 year period between 1840 and 1910.

And it must be really loving traumatic to be forced to flee to a foreign country in such huge numbers because your homeland is simultaneously starving to death and being raped by the British, so I'm guessing some sense of nostalgia for the homeland was passed along to the first and second generation and then just became a part of the family culture. I'm guessing a lot of the immigrants were more like exiles than opportunists.

Contrast that with say the Acadians/Cajuns and Quebecois where their roots stretch back long enough that they weren't originally defined by their Other-ness and so were free to reinvent their culture rather than have it defined for them. I mean Newfoundland has a huge Irish immigrant history but I think Newfies are happy to be Newfies.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 15, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I knew a girl who told everyone she was French but she was actually Belgian because she thought (correctly) that most Americans wouldn't know what the gently caress Belgium was and why she spoke French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't know either but that's the largest stereotype aside from Italians. The polish are usually low key about it though.

And it's really funny how American some Irish girls try to be. I knew one when I lived in Spain that was straight from Dublin who spray tanned and even watched American football.

Spray tanning is not exclusively an American thing. I'd say at least 70% of girls who go out on the weekends here are using fake tan. My friend went to an all-girls school in Derry and has so many stories of girls topping up their tan between classes or skipping Friday to do their tan for that night or getting rained on and their sunshimmer runs down their legs and stains their white socks orange. It's a weird epidemic, probably caused by seeing everyone on TV with the Californian tan, whether from the US or not. Or watching Neighbours where everyone is orange. I was usually too lazy, now I embrace my paleness.

American football has kicked off here too. I don't get why, we have Rugby which is objectively better. (shots fired)

bathroom sounds posted:

I think it was a result of the unprecedented influx of Irish immigrants resulting from the potato famine that put a ton of Irish in the same place at the same time, so you had these huge Irish immigrant communities that were first forced into ghettos and then slowly integrated without ever losing their ethnic identity. Now "Irish" is completely white and mainstream but it hasn't shed its legacy quite yet. Almost 1,000,000 arrived in the 1850s alone. Wikipedia says 4.7 million total, with the bulk in a 70 year period between 1840 and 1910.

And it must be really loving traumatic to be forced to flee to a foreign country in such huge numbers because your homeland is simultaneously starving to death and being raped by the British, so I'm guessing some sense of nostalgia for the homeland was passed along to the first and second generation and then just became a part of the family culture. I'm guessing a lot of the immigrants were more like exiles than opportunists.

Contrast that with say the Acadians/Cajuns and Quebecois where their roots stretch back long enough that they weren't originally defined by their Other-ness and so were free to reinvent their culture rather than have it defined for them. I mean Newfoundland has a huge Irish immigrant history but I think Newfies are happy to be Newfies.

This excuse may have been valid like 50 years ago, now it's just weird. Also the Irish population still hasn't recovered to pre-Famine levels, think about that next time you make a joke about potatoes :emo:

• Locked thread