Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Boston has more people of Irish descent than any city in the world except Dublin. It outranks every other city in Ireland.

Also, this is just a cool/surprising thing, but Irish population still doesn't even come close to what it was pre-famine. It might get back to those levels by 2050, maybe. Literally half the population died or emigrated, and that's a ton of people. It's not surprising it made for large communities of immigrants with enough force to keep ties alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shannonmcn posted:

Spray tanning is not exclusively an American thing. I'd say at least 70% of girls who go out on the weekends here are using fake tan. My friend went to an all-girls school in Derry and has so many stories of girls topping up their tan between classes or skipping Friday to do their tan for that night or getting rained on and their sunshimmer runs down their legs and stains their white socks orange. It's a weird epidemic, probably caused by seeing everyone on TV with the Californian tan, whether from the US or not. Or watching Neighbours where everyone is orange. I was usually too lazy, now I embrace my paleness.

American football has kicked off here too. I don't get why, we have Rugby which is objectively better. (shots fired)

This excuse may have been valid like 50 years ago, now it's just weird. Also the Irish population still hasn't recovered to pre-Famine levels, think about that next time you make a joke about potatoes :emo:

Lol so it's as widespread as I thought because all her friends seemed ganguro levels of orange too but they were from somewhere in the midlands of England iirc and all dressed like sorostitutes.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm just a boring German/Polish/various other Eastern European countries mix, probably with a bit of Jewish thrown in. I spend a lot of time teaching people how to pronounce my last name, and telling them that yes, I was born in America. They always seem a little disappointed.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Anne Whateley posted:

Boston has more people of Irish descent than any city in the world except Dublin. It outranks every other city in Ireland.

Also, this is just a cool/surprising thing, but Irish population still doesn't even come close to what it was pre-famine. It might get back to those levels by 2050, maybe. Literally half the population died or emigrated, and that's a ton of people. It's not surprising it made for large communities of immigrants with enough force to keep ties alive.

They're not really of Irish descent though. They're Americans who drink Jamesons and wear a green hat on the 17th of March and brag about how their genes mean they can hold their liquor. If you weren't born here you aren't Irish. Coming from Belfast there was a long fight here so some of us would be allowed to call ourselves Irish. It stings a bit to see some pretty ridiculous caricatures of what those people think "being Irish" really is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hey Shannon, what would you call a drink where you take half pint of Guinness and drop a shot of baileys/Jameson into it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Shannonmcn posted:

They're not really of Irish descent though. They're Americans who drink Jamesons and wear a green hat on the 17th of March and brag about how their genes mean they can hold their liquor. If you weren't born here you aren't Irish. Coming from Belfast there was a long fight here so some of us would be allowed to call ourselves Irish. It stings a bit to see some pretty ridiculous caricatures of what those people think "being Irish" really is.
I didn't say they're Irish, but they're definitely of Irish descent. Call them Irish-Americans or whatever, but especially in Boston the culture isn't just the same as any other American. It's the same deal where Italian-Americans are totally not authentically Italian, but they do have a distinct culture here.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hey Shannon, what would you call a drink where you take half pint of Guinness and drop a shot of baileys/Jameson into it?

A loving travesty.

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't say they're Irish, but they're definitely of Irish descent. Call them Irish-Americans or whatever, but especially in Boston the culture isn't just the same as any other American. It's the same deal where Italian-Americans are totally not authentically Italian, but they do have a distinct culture here.
I do get a bit too wound up about it tbh but if all Italian Americans just got drunk off limoncello and raved about lasagne as the sum total expression of their culture it'd be viewed as a bit offensive.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol so it's as widespread as I thought because all her friends seemed ganguro levels of orange too but they were from somewhere in the midlands of England iirc and all dressed like sorostitutes.

There are parts of Dublin specifically known for being full of orange people with weird pseudo valley girl accents.

Ireland doesn't get enough sun for white people to get tans like they see on tv, so tanning booths and cheap fake tanning products are really popular.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shannonmcn posted:

A loving travesty.

I do get a bit too wound up about it tbh but if all Italian Americans just got drunk off limoncello and raved about lasagne as the sum total expression of their culture it'd be viewed as a bit offensive.

Lol

And Italian American culture already is a travesty.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Enfys posted:

There are parts of Dublin specifically known for being full of orange people with weird pseudo valley girl accents.

Ireland doesn't get enough sun for white people to get tans like they see on tv, so tanning booths and cheap fake tanning products are really popular.

Yeah I remember them being really fuckin territorial over which district people were from and would act dismissive towards people from other areas

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah I remember them being really fuckin territorial over which district people were from and would act dismissive towards people from other areas

D4 are the snobs. I think. I only know from a Dundalk friend who lives there now and is constantly complaining.

Also look, my city is classed as a loving war zone, yaaaay!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I think bathroom sounds is exactly right that it's a family culture thing. Both sides of my family consider themselves of Irish descent. Catholic on my Mom's side and Protestant on my Father's. (yikes) And that's somehow a conception that's stuck around through a hundred plus years of American life and intermixing with other groups. We live in New Jersey were there isn't much ~Irish-American~ presence (Though plenty of people like to be "Irish-for-a-day" as an excuse to get drunk on St. Patrick's Day.) so I can't speak for Boston Irish. Over here it's more watered down, mostly in pride over where we've came from and a particular slant in choice of home decor.
Also, at least where I live, there's still a pretty heavy conflation of 'where are you from' with 'where did your family come to American from' even though most (white) people have probably been in the area for at least three or four generations now.

I got really interested in Gaelic mythology a while back and from there moved to reading up on Irish history. I'd like to visit some day if I was ever able to afford it. I wouldn't openly call myself Irish anymore though, having gotten into the history of it for the reasons Shannon stated. If nothing else, a lot has happened in Ireland since my distant ancestors fled.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Here there isn't really an 'Italian-Australian' culture as far as I can tell. You're either Italian (your family speaks Italian, you do your regional culinary and cultural rituals with your family, you at least pretend to give a poo poo about the saints, etc) or you're just Aussie with a decent team to barrack for in the world cup. Maybe that's not entirely the case here but all my Italian friends have the same experiences as me, their families just come from different regions to mine. There's the expectation that you go back to Italy at some point and at regular intervals if you're able to and check in with the family who are still there and if you don't do that you're a piece of poo poo, and when you do go there it's like this huge homecoming where everyone in the stupid village or neighbourhood knows who you are and pinches the gently caress out of you and you eat all the seafood in the Mediterranean and get flat out drunk with a hangover that lasts for days (at least in Lipari).

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 15, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

I'd like to visit some day if I was ever able to afford it.

Don't, it's super boring here. Go to Rome or Prague or Amsterdam or somewhere instead.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Shannonmcn posted:

Maybe you don't encounter it as much, but I think vino and Italian food (not pronounced or made the way it is in Italy) is a big block of Italian-American culture, and the other stereotypes are worse.

Irish-Americans will at least cry to "Danny Boy" year-round.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Visit Spain and give them your sweet sweet rich people money as the local governments desperately need more money to embezzle

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Shannonmcn posted:

Don't, it's super boring here. Go to Rome or Prague or Amsterdam or somewhere instead.

I feel the same way about the Jersey Shore, and yet people keep coming

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
literally the only reason to go to rome is to hang out with the street cats

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
first holiday i can afford to go on is to cuba tho. lol sorry wogs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One thing that infuriated me when I lived in Spain is that all the American girls would only go to the chintzy bars where everyone played beer pong and no one have a poo poo about doing local things like drinking wine or being unemployed.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If I went on vacation to Spain I'd probably be drunk on wine and cheese the entire time. I'd likely have very little memory of the trip.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Summer of 2012 I spent most of July drunk in a little bodega downing 75 centimo glasses of local sherry while reading books then walking around on the beach. In Seville they served wine in these little baby wine glasses and at least at the beach village bodega it was served in the normal tiny beer glasses.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I had the nicest Syrah of my life in this tiny little restaurant/ wine bar in Barcelona. I saved the cork and everything. I would like to go to Seville or Madrid to see if they are less touristy but I don't speak any Spanish and it makes me really self conscious. :(

If anyone does want to come to Ireland go to Cork or Waterford, it's lovely down there but don't expect much excitement.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
id love to do the pilgrimage to santiago de compostela one day. im not catholic anymore (i started converting to judaism when i was 14 through an orthodox synagogue, couldnt reconcile some aspects of orthodoxy with my politics so stopped and now just practice reform) but i still have a lot of fondness for a lot of the catholic pilgrimages as historical/cultural things. the women in my family particularly did a shitload of pilgrimages

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Can someone tell me why my Norwegian and German (mostly Prussian) roots disallow me from growing a badass beard? :saddowns:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Barcelona is the euro version of LA and isn't Spain compared to Grenada or Seville.

Cool wine cocktails for you girls to try:
Tinto de verano; cheap red wine mixed with a gaseola like casera Blanca (or club soda I guess). Or you can approx sangria with red wine with lemon and/or orange soda.
Rebujito; dry sherry with 7-up. Typical feria drink and is way more potent than it tastes and is the only way I'll dance flamenco.
Serve both cold an iced.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Can someone tell me why my Norwegian and German (mostly Prussian) roots disallow me from growing a badass beard? :saddowns:

beard appropriation

that's right, sjw gone rogue hacked your genome.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

No idea, those are pretty beardy peoples. :v:

Maybe it's the same reason that despite having white bread Anglo roots through and through, I'll look like a cavewoman if I go more than a day without shaving. :smith:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Spain is full of delicious goats and sausages and drinks but also plenty of crazy Catholic ideology and sexism and a more recent renewed extremist shift. But delicious food and drinks.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 16, 2014

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
spanish manlove what kind of spanish do you speak predominantly? i only have passable castellano and i'm going to cuba at the end of the year for a working holiday and cuban spanish is heavily canary-influenced. i was planning on practicing cuban spanish this year anyway but if you have any experience with the different languages i'd be interested in your wisdoms

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
drat sjw's. :argh: When I studied abroad in Austria I got laughed at for my patchiness. Talk about good wine country, though. And the glühwein at Christmastime... deelish.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Fruity Gordo posted:

spanish manlove what kind of spanish do you speak predominantly?

com'on, it's right in the name

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Barcelona is the euro version of LA and isn't Spain compared to Grenada or Seville.

Cool wine cocktails for you girls to try:
Tinto de verano; cheap red wine mixed with a gaseola like casera Blanca (or club soda I guess). Or you can approx sangria with red wine with lemon and/or orange soda.
Rebujito; dry sherry with 7-up. Typical feria drink and is way more potent than it tastes and is the only way I'll dance flamenco.
Serve both cold an iced.

My friend made me the most disgusting 'wine cocktail' last week with merlot, Glenfiddich, vodka and soda water and a sugared glass then had me try and guess the ingredients. It was such a waste of all those things and she wasn't even drinking.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I'm a gat danged boy

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

AriadneThread posted:

com'on, it's right in the name
welp, gotta get me a strapon

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Enfys posted:

I think that's the first time I've heard Cork recommended to a tourist by a non-Cork native.

Cork accents do strange warm things to my ladybits. And I had really nice seafood there.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

That DICK! posted:

I'm a gat danged boy

im sorry 4 ur lots

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fruity Gordo posted:

spanish manlove what kind of spanish do you speak predominantly? i only have passable castellano and i'm going to cuba at the end of the year for a working holiday and cuban spanish is heavily canary-influenced. i was planning on practicing cuban spanish this year anyway but if you have any experience with the different languages i'd be interested in your wisdoms

They'll understand you pretty well though some vocabulary is different. I know Castilian is a little more rude compared to Latin America, at least in Florida I greatly offended a guy at a Cuban diner by saying "me pone un cafesito" instead of "me puede dar un cafesito" because I was use to the former. It should be te same in Cuba proper so mind your manners.

Oh and Spain is still really sexist, but not as bad as it used to be. People no longer think of my mom as a mutant for not wanting to be locked in a kitchen 24/7 but it's still bad. I blame the moors.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shannonmcn posted:

My friend made me the most disgusting 'wine cocktail' last week with merlot, Glenfiddich, vodka and soda water and a sugared glass then had me try and guess the ingredients. It was such a waste of all those things and she wasn't even drinking.

Yeah that's overwrought and fuckin gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

If I went on vacation to Spain I'd probably be drunk on wine and cheese the entire time. I'd likely have very little memory of the trip.
I don't think of cheese when I think of Spain. Have I been missing out?

Also I have read that sangria is considered the cocktail equivalent of pig slop that Spanish restaurateurs pawn off on unsuspecting tourists but jokes on them because that poo poo's delicious.

• Locked thread