Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Xander77 posted:

TNM would be 100% better if the hub levels were compacted into half their current size and/or if you were given the speed augmentation from the very start. That should probably be a mod for the mod.

Yes. I just cheated in the running aug at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I swear, the Wall Cloud is definitely an homage to Clavell's Tai-Pan. A ship with Cloud moniker out of Hong Kong fits the bill.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

^ I'd have to see a Shogun reference first.

Back to TNM, on my first visit to the Corporate quarters on Day 2, the fighting somehow managed to kill Wolfie. Upon reloading, I somehow managed to throw away all my stuff (including the nano-key, which I picked back up at least) in exchange for an accuracy mod that applied infinitely and repeatedly to all my weapons. On the down side, I now have no ammo. The question now is whether the trade-off is worth it, or should I reload again.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Wolfie gives you a pretty fun mission (much?) later on.

Seriously i really like TNM a ton. At one point you're actually 'hacking' by going through folders and files with the cmd commands, defeat a vampire while looking for uranium, unlock magical voodoo shortcuts, find a guy deep down in a sewer explaining he eats rats and reads his only book that he hates and what not.
It has tons of fun and fluff but yes it is quite spaced out and the speed aug helps a lot. Some of the sewer bits are long and boring and have annoying geometry, but at least you get to do a bunch of rad stuff before and after those.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Samopsa posted:

You can in singleplayer, it's the main trick for speedruns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPvgaxsxxPk
Also, grenade climbing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfMgr3MPH_w

Not anymore, apparently. SA's own UraniumAnchor showed off a glitch that let him jump like he was on the moon at AGDQ that apparently replaced the (much cooler) grenade surfing.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Xander77 posted:

TNM would be 100% better if the hub levels were compacted into half their current size and/or if you were given the speed augmentation from the very start. That should probably be a mod for the mod.

Prod with the prod, mod for the mod.

So it's about time for my billionth playthrough of Deus Ex, I'm going to be using Shifter and Biomod, naturally. I was wondering how to spice up the visuals a little, is New Vision worth using, and if so, what should I use with it, if not, what should I use instead?

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

(Why contain it? S'cool.)

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
It's definitely worth using, though it's still a 14 year old game. It does improve the visuals objectively. There's some other visual mods too, but I don't have much experience with them.

This video shows off some of what you can expect from a fully modded out game. Links are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhaJN_mbnQA

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

TehGherkin posted:

Prod with the prod, mod for the mod.

So it's about time for my billionth playthrough of Deus Ex, I'm going to be using Shifter and Biomod, naturally. I was wondering how to spice up the visuals a little, is New Vision worth using, and if so, what should I use with it, if not, what should I use instead?

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

(Why contain it? S'cool.)

Last time I used some mod called (I think) "Modern Combat+Biomod," mostly because it comes with a ton of new weapons (many of which are randomly spawned on enemies, so be careful not to get wrecked by a SPAS). The vanilla weapon models are really the only thing I don't like about Deus Ex, so that breathed some life into my umpteenth playthrough.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

StickySweater posted:

It's definitely worth using, though it's still a 14 year old game. It does improve the visuals objectively. There's some other visual mods too, but I don't have much experience with them.

This video shows off some of what you can expect from a fully modded out game. Links are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhaJN_mbnQA

With the mods installed his HUD looks all messed up. Somebody asked about it in the comments but got no response:

Has he stuffed something up with the install or is it just minimalism taken too far?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Crindee posted:

Last time I used some mod called (I think) "Modern Combat+Biomod," mostly because it comes with a ton of new weapons (many of which are randomly spawned on enemies, so be careful not to get wrecked by a SPAS). The vanilla weapon models are really the only thing I don't like about Deus Ex, so that breathed some life into my umpteenth playthrough.

Holy crap, I've never heard of this mod before. The one thing that's bugged me in subsequent playthroughs is the relative blandness of the guns. Thanks!

EDIT: Quality control on the mod seems to suck, though. I mean, how does anybody thing this looks alright:

...next to this?

Pretty sure the FAMAS is a rip from CS: Source, so I'm not sure why they couldn't nab an M4 model that was made after 1995.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 17, 2014

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy crap, I've never heard of this mod before. The one thing that's bugged me in subsequent playthroughs is the relative blandness of the guns. Thanks!

EDIT: Quality control on the mod seems to suck, though. I mean, how does anybody thing this looks alright:

...next to this?

Pretty sure the FAMAS is a rip from CS: Source, so I'm not sure why they couldn't nab an M4 model that was made after 1995.

Yeah they're definitely all over the place, but there was enough selection that I was able to find some that I liked. Also, I remember that when you switch to HP ammo with one of the assault rifles (I think it might be one the scoped FAMAS, actually), it fires underbarrel grenades instead, but at the same rate of fire as bullets. So depending on your playstyle either avoid that, or have lots of fun.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

With the mods installed his HUD looks all messed up. Somebody asked about it in the comments but got no response:

Has he stuffed something up with the install or is it just minimalism taken too far?

I could be wrong, but I think what I'm looking at is just the scaled down version of the hud. You can disable/modify it I think in options (in the launcher).

EDIT: That does look a bit off though. Not sure.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 17, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Crindee posted:

Yeah they're definitely all over the place, but there was enough selection that I was able to find some that I liked. Also, I remember that when you switch to HP ammo with one of the assault rifles (I think it might be one the scoped FAMAS, actually), it fires underbarrel grenades instead, but at the same rate of fire as bullets. So depending on your playstyle either avoid that, or have lots of fun.

Back in the dark pre-patched days of Deus Ex, picking up a gun from the ground gave you a full clip of whatever you had loaded at the time.

Spamming 20mm grenades everywhere was great fun

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
loving combat knives. I hate finding them on every rear end in a top hat and all they do it just eat an item slot up. Also, a non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 9, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9XXxQxl4w

FrancoFish posted:

loving combat knives. I hate finding them on every rear end in a top hat and all they do it just eat an item slot up. Also, a non-lethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

This but pistols.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

There was this mod where you could use them as throwing knives. It owned. Anyway, stick with the prod, prod with the prod.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a bit of a technical problem with deus ex, I hope someone here could help? I have deus ex on disc, but when I saw the GOG version on sale I purchased that one (mostly for the extras, and the cd is getting a bit scratched so I like the insurance.

Anyway, I have a Logitech M500 mouse. In addition to the 3 standard buttons, it has two side buttons, and there is a logitech tool (setpoint) that allows me to bind those buttons to whatever I want. With my disc version of Deus ex, I could, by rebinding the sidebuttons to pageup and pagedown, and assign pageup/down to functions like zoom, laser or augmentations.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason the GOG version will NOT register those buttons at all, no matter if I set them to pageup, an F1-12 key, W, or any other button on the keyboard. Nor do the buttons register if I disable the logitech software.

Note: I check by trying to re-assign various functions to said buttons by pressing them, or by assigning the function (like "fire") to the button "P" and having said side buttons also assigned to "P". Also, outside the game, I can bind it to any key and it will function, I tested by binding it to random letters and opening notepad. It types.

So far nothing has worked. Please advise on how to properly be able to use those buttons.

Thanks.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

FrancoFish posted:

I think shifter or biomod will not let you pick up a melee weapon if you already have a better one in your inventory.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hank Morgan posted:

I think shifter or biomod will not let you pick up a melee weapon if you already have a better one in your inventory.

They also let you throw them and stack them in your inventory.

This is your reminder to not play Deus Ex without biomod.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They also let you throw them and stack them in your inventory.

This is your reminder to not play Deus Ex without biomod.

Would installing it now screw up my current run at all?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Would installing it now screw up my current run at all?

You'd have to start a new game, unfortunately. If you're not very far, it's worth doing for the various QoL improvements and balance tweaks that biomod does.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Since Deus Ex first came out (I bought it on its release day) I thought that it would have been great if it had a little inventory window pop up for the corpse, letting you pick and choose what you want to take. Ideally it would also have a "pick up corpse" button for when you want to be able to do that without emptying its pockets first.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

double nine posted:

I have a bit of a technical problem with deus ex, I hope someone here could help?

I checked Google generally for key-binding issues related to DX, but came up with nothing except for the Steam version.

Sorry I have no suggestions except maybe try posting in the GOG forums for DX. They might have something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BattleMaster posted:

Since Deus Ex first came out (I bought it on its release day) I thought that it would have been great if it had a little inventory window pop up for the corpse, letting you pick and choose what you want to take. Ideally it would also have a "pick up corpse" button for when you want to be able to do that without emptying its pockets first.

Biomod's solution for that is to have all the contents of the enemies pockets spill out on the floor if your inventory happens to be full. Not perfect but hey.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

double nine posted:

So far nothing has worked. Please advise on how to properly be able to use those buttons.

Thanks.

You have added deusex.exe to the Setpoint software? What version of setpoint you use, I have no problems binding F1-12 to mouse keys with the ancient 4.80 + überoptions.
You could try using Deus Exe to start the game if it would solve the issue. It should be compatible with GoG release. Other possibility might be running the game fullscreen; if some other software with different setpoint binds runs above/below the game window, I don't know.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just carried a knife and never used it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Melee-wise what do people prefer to use for deadly playthroughs - before the lightsaber, I mean? Crowbar or combat knife? Crowbar has better damage, but combat knife takes up 2 slots...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Baton followed by a stab/bullet to the face/throw them in water/radioactive goop/explode them if you really want to kill them I guess. The baton deals the best damage and only takes up one slot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Why are you guys not using the baton? Always the baton!

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

I never use the prod. Kill 'em all.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Derek Dominoe posted:

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

I never use the prod. Kill 'em all.

I was annoyed when this spoiler didn't turn out to contain "just in case though, we're police"

The downside of the baton that I remember is it takes a while to take it out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

double nine posted:

Melee-wise what do people prefer to use for deadly playthroughs - before the lightsaber, I mean? Crowbar or combat knife? Crowbar has better damage, but combat knife takes up 2 slots...

Crowbar. A bash to the face stuns em.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

fleshweasel posted:

I was annoyed when this spoiler didn't turn out to contain "just in case though, we're police"

The downside of the baton that I remember is it takes a while to take it out.

On the upside of that downside, the clackity-clack sound that plays while taking out the baton is one of my favorite things in the game.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
There's also a user made Mac OS X Cider port of Deus Ex floating around, but unfortunately, I can't link to it, because the author neglected to make it a DIY kit which required the original game to function. I guess it's slipped under the :filez: radar because it has the game packaged in a DMG file. Hell, the fact that it uses Cider binaries ripped out of some other commercial game is probably :filez: as well.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I just started a new game using the Kentie DX10 renderer + Biomod, and for some reason everything is insanely sped up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Duncan Doenitz posted:

I just started a new game using the Kentie DX10 renderer + Biomod, and for some reason everything is insanely sped up. Has anyone else experienced this?

Follow the steps on this page under "the game runs too fast/etc.": http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/page2.htm

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
How well do guns work in IW? I remember trying them a long time ago, but I think I gave up on them and swapped to the baton because you couldn't hold enough ammo for long term use and the guns felt pretty poo poo to use. Is there some sort of ammo managing trick so I'm not at like half of my max ammo after a large fire fight?

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 6, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The ammo is shared across all guns and due to hilarious balancing it's actually more efficient to use the more powerful guns than the pistol.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Neo Rasa posted:

The ammo is shared across all guns and due to hilarious balancing it's actually more efficient to use the more powerful guns than the pistol.
You've got it backwards there. The pistol uses the least ammo per shot and can easily take down human enemies in a couple shots, making it by far the most efficient way to spend your ammo. You can go through the whole game without ever having to worry about running out of ammo if you use the pistol as your primary weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You don't even need the pistol once you slap some augs that make your melee attacks stronger. Just punch everyone with your baton, including robots.