Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fisticuffs posted:

Tell me more about fast snails please

GoFast Snail was Dreamworks' attempt to create a franchise analogous to Cars. Everyone knew this wouldn't work and was a terrible idea but for some reason it moved forward anyway. It had what is a modest budget for a Dreamworks film--about $125 million, where their current target is about $140 mil/film. It made a little over a quarter-billion dollars, which seems okay until you realize the returns were comparable with Epic. It's not actually a bad film, it's just a totally unnecessary one. It's unmemorable and though not a stain like Bee Movie, it's nothing to be proud of either.

Disney perceived this as a threat for some reason, so DisneyToon Studios' Planes was released in theaters. It made about 2/3 as much as Turbo, but on a budget of more like $50 mil. Planes is worse than Turbo but both are crud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Crow Jane posted:

I'm the only person with my first/last name combo in the US, probably the world. I don't have a massive web presence or anything, but I'd rather not take any chances, y'know?

Whatup, other person with the only first/last name combo in the US. I dunno about the world. There are a few people out there who are close, since my legal first name is also a nickname for a very very common first name, and there are some different spellings of my last name out there. That fact gives my paranoid mind some relief.

My last name is what it is from my paternal grandfather changing his surname to avoid the law. Kinda cool, but I wish he'd told anyone what his name was before, because that cuts an entire quarter of my genealogy/family tree off. There were other people who knew, cousins and such, but I happened late in my father's life, and he was the youngest of his siblings, so everyone who knew died long before I could try and get them to tell me.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lmao lame. Abuelo franco was a stevedore (also costelero come Easter) and a truck driver. Also A cousin of my father is a renown flamenco guitarist who now teaches at the university in cordoba. He doesn't sing for some wussy king.
Before coming to Canada, apparently my great great great great whatever grandfather was a medieval trucker (apparently he drove a wagon around Braunschweig or something).

Medieval trucker sounds better. :colbert:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Crow Jane posted:

I'm the only person with my first/last name combo in the US, probably the world. I don't have a massive web presence or anything, but I'd rather not take any chances, y'know?

I know I'm 100% the only one with my name in the world.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VanSandman posted:

Turkeyflume Hogswallop Esq.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Pick posted:

GoFast Snail was Dreamworks' attempt to create a franchise analogous to Cars. Everyone knew this wouldn't work and was a terrible idea but for some reason it moved forward anyway. It had what is a modest budget for a Dreamworks film--about $125 million, where their current target is about $140 mil/film. It made a little over a quarter-billion dollars, which seems okay until you realize the returns were comparable with Epic. It's not actually a bad film, it's just a totally unnecessary one. It's unmemorable and though not a stain like Bee Movie, it's nothing to be proud of either.

Disney perceived this as a threat for some reason, so DisneyToon Studios' Planes was released in theaters. It made about 2/3 as much as Turbo, but on a budget of more like $50 mil. Planes is worse than Turbo but both are crud.

I thought you meant something like the remote control thing that you can hook up to cockroaches and make them run in circles or whatever. But that is pretty cool too. Thanks Pick.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Jabberwocktopus Sludge

e.
Charizard Q. Milkybitch

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 15, 2014

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
mods namechange to Jabberwoctopus pls tia

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Megatron McSmugMug

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

My mom's side of the family is super into genealogy, and my great-aunt even self-published some novelizations of my great-great-great whatever's journey from Norway/Denmark to North Dakota. This was only an upgrade in situation because they got their own farm in ND as opposed to being indentured servants in Europe. My favorite family story is, though they were poor as dirt, my great-great grandfather always put out food for the wild birds on Christmas :3:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

VanSandman posted:

same. and if when i go through with my plan to change my surname to my mum's i still will be

also when i have biokids they will have my last name even if i have them with a dudepartner. matriarchal lineage is really important to me and it breaks my heart that there's no way i'll ever know who each of the women who bore me are. my mum raised me and she decided to keep her father's name (though i wouldn't have if i were her bc he was a horrible piece of poo poo), and i want to take the name she chose and give it to my kids as a new, reclaimed maternal line

i have no idea what to do when it comes to adopted kids. i want to adopt. i guess i'd adopt them and give them the same surname i would a biokid if they were very young and then leave the option open to them to change it later whenever they want without judgement and with full-hearted help

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

googling my name gives 205 million hits
sometimes I get sad at being so generic, but it's pretty sweet being ungoogleable

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
In retrospect I am also the only person in the world with my name.

... That's disconcerting.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

There is one old lady in Canada with my full name. Strippers and mean bitches are always called Shannon in American TV programmes. And Melissa McCarthy's character in Heat, which I liked, but she's also kinda a mean bitch.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bathroom sounds posted:

Before coming to Canada, apparently my great great great great whatever grandfather was a medieval trucker (apparently he drove a wagon around Braunschweig or something).

Medieval trucker sounds better. :colbert:

Ahahaha that owns. Btw a costelero is a tough, strong bull of a man who works in a team of other costeleros to carry around golden religious icons every Easter for the parades. Look up "semana santa" for more, non-phone typed information.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

My parents took two toddler sons onto a fishing boat in the dead of night and escaped from Vietnam to Thailand. Not without my mom and brothers getting sent to jail for a month where one of my brothers almost died of dysentery.

My family has a pretty epic story

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fruity Gordo posted:

same. and if when i go through with my plan to change my surname to my mum's i still will be

also when i have biokids they will have my last name even if i have them with a dudepartner. matriarchal lineage is really important to me and it breaks my heart that there's no way i'll ever know who each of the women who bore me are. my mum raised me and she decided to keep her father's name (though i wouldn't have if i were her bc he was a horrible piece of poo poo), and i want to take the name she chose and give it to my kids as a new, reclaimed maternal line

i have no idea what to do when it comes to adopted kids. i want to adopt. i guess i'd adopt them and give them the same surname i would a biokid if they were very young and then leave the option open to them to change it later whenever they want without judgement and with full-hearted help

I changed my last name to my wife's because my bio dad is an alcoholic wife beater. Made her family ecstatic since it was my idea and my choice. Also they have no breeders from this final generation except my wife.

Has caused me a lot of grief while applying for police work because changing your last name as a male implies you might be hiding something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ahahaha you cucked nerd, aren't you jealous that the socially backwards wife beating Spaniards all do the hyphenated last names thing and will track names back for generations as a holdover from aristocratic times?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

According to Google, I'm the only one with my name, probably because I have an uncommon Swedish spelling of a more common name.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ahahaha you cucked nerd, aren't you jealous that the socially backwards wife beating Spaniards all do the hyphenated last names thing and will track names back for generations as a holdover from aristocratic times?

I'd be angry at you or/and offended but I'm too busy living in a house my wife's family bought for us in the Bay Area, CA.
My father on the other hand was too drunk to move so he missed my birth.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This is no pity party it's a paws party
*all my favorite dogs from anime, video games, and image macros show up*

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd be angry at you or/and offended but I'm too busy living in a house my wife's family bought for us in the Bay Area, CA.
My father on the other hand was too drunk to move so he missed my birth.

its a really cool and meaningful and thoughtful thing you guys did so high five brotherfriend

apparently also lucrative so MEGAHIFIVE CAN I COME TO YOUR HOUSE

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fruity Gordo posted:

its a really cool and meaningful and thoughtful thing you guys did so high five brotherfriend

apparently also lucrative so MEGAHIFIVE CAN I COME TO YOUR HOUSE

Seriously for someone so into women's rights and matriarchal dominance a positive example of it should be a good thing in your eyes.

Besides the house didn't come until 7 years after the marriage from a dowager great aunt.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my family ended up with a generic swedish surname through miscegenation and then my mother gave me a swede-rear end first name and compounded the problem and now i have the saddest whitest name and it breaks my little jew heart :saddowns:

also last night i dreamt that a cupboard in my house started spontaneously producing dozens of golden retriever puppies and i was meant to somehow stem the flow but there were just too many puppies and suddenly my house was full of them and they were chewing everything and they were all so fluffy nooooo

i know EXACTLY who is to blame for this

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

I'm Anglo as hell, it owns. My life is basically drinking Earl Grey while getting my dick sucked. Let me know if any of you need me to intervene with the Illuminati for you, I'll put in a good word.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Avshalom posted:

my family ended up with a generic swedish surname through miscegenation and then my mother gave me a swede-rear end first name and compounded the problem and now i have the saddest whitest name and it breaks my little jew heart :saddowns:

also last night i dreamt that a cupboard in my house started spontaneously producing dozens of golden retriever puppies and i was meant to somehow stem the flow but there were just too many puppies and suddenly my house was full of them and they were chewing everything and they were all so fluffy nooooo

i know EXACTLY who is to blame for this

I'm really jealous. I was watching Veep before bed so my dreams were basically just Veep clips and not even really funny ones.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

LingcodKilla posted:

Seriously for someone so into women's rights and matriarchal dominance a positive example of it should be a good thing in your eyes.

Besides the house didn't come until 7 years after the marriage from a dowager great aunt.

no for realzies the fact that this idea came from you, A Bloke, is even more excellent to me than the other possibility that it was floated to you and you happily agreed. i didn't mean for the second bit of my post to make light of it, i honestly admire you and am thrilled that men like you exist. and as you demonstrate it's not even a thing about privileging women over men, it's about acknowledging where familial and cultural influences lie and will lie in the future and trying to place children in a nomenclatural tradition that matches their lived experience, way beyond basic poo poo like acknowledging that women usually are the ones who bring up children. insisting everyone name their children after dudes is the prescriptive, intolerant poo poo and purposefully rejecting that is brave and revolutionary and i dig it

i still want to come to your house tho

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 15, 2014

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

vaguely posted:

googling my name gives 205 million hits
sometimes I get sad at being so generic, but it's pretty sweet being ungoogleable

My birth name is so loving common sometimes I don't even respond to it when called, under the assumption that they're asking for someone else.
It is like, literally synonymous with the lowest common denominator.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a bit simple and am always genuinely surprised when other posters don't go by their usernames irl

like i just assumed until now that your rl name is ariadne

and i guess fruity gordo is actually named fruity gordo

my real name isn't avshalom so i don't even know where this idea comes from

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I made a twitter list of everyone with my name and sometimes I peek into the alternate taco show world.

It's about 80% frank ocean lyrics

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I am the top google hit for my name. There's at least one more out there, though, because I get emails meant for her sometimes (I got the gmail account, fucker! No need for numbers here).

E: taco show that is brilliant

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Avshalom posted:

i'm a bit simple and am always genuinely surprised when other posters don't go by their usernames irl

My old SA name was a pun on my last name but then brother Jonathan ruined it so I asked garbage day to change it to what I normally use for video games and it's been uphill ever since.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bathroom sounds posted:

In retrospect I am also the only person in the world with my name.

... That's disconcerting.

same

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ahahaha that owns. Btw a costelero is a tough, strong bull of a man who works in a team of other costeleros to carry around golden religious icons every Easter for the parades. Look up "semana santa" for more, non-phone typed information.

the spanish do holy week best, sorry every other country

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Avshalom posted:

My username is my real name. Well, a shortened version of Vanessa, but I never liked Vanessa. Surprised it wasn't already taken when I registered here. It's taken everywhere else. Even Nessabee is usually taken on other sites.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In middle school I started going by my middle name because my first name was so common, but my last name is super weird/rare so either way I'm uniquely named.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Nessa posted:

My username is my real name. Well, a shortened version of Vanessa, but I never liked Vanessa. Surprised it wasn't already taken when I registered here. It's taken everywhere else. Even Nessabee is usually taken on other sites.

I thought you were the Loch Ness monster

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

embarrassingly, when someone says "portals" irl I have to stop myself from responding as if I heard my name

Portals fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 3, 2014

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nessa posted:

I eat meat, but I don't think I have it in me to ever kill an animal. I can't even kill insects.

I still wish humane treatment of farmed animals was a thing, and I will support local meat and bison when I can. I just don't think becoming a vegetarian will help anything and I would probably die if I didn't eat any meat.

You unknowingly kill animals and insects all the time, try not to blame yourself for the human race lacking the technology necessary to wean ourselves off of the meat farms, and instead do your part to work towards that future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Goons w/ weird names: I read a study(years ago so my memory is foggy) that postulated that people with unusual names end up being more likely to be criminals, drop-outs, and anti-social... all owing to their names/identity being made fun of an assload as a child.

Did people make fun of your name a lot when you were a kid? My name is a homonym for an underwear company so I definitely go that, but it's really not that weird so it wasn't constant or anything.

• Locked thread