Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Blizzard steganographs your basic public account info (name/time/server/level/class) into every screenshot taken in wow and there have been several instances where people bragging anonymously about being complete dicks in-game have been punished because of it.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is that what happened to me? I got VAC banned off of TF2 maybe five years back, and I kept pursuing what few avenues of appeal there were, and the answer I kept getting back was, "You know what you did, filthy cheating animal." No, dammit, I don't! The best part was when they suggested I reformat my computer, re-buy all my software, and then not do whatever flagged me in the first place, without telling me what that was. Real helpful, guys.

Goddammit I'm innocent, I tell you, innocent! You hear me? Innnoooceeeeeeent!

For a couple years having any sort of debugger or utility running that queried running processes with a particular OS call would make tf2 freak out and try to vac ban you. Process Explorer was notorious for it but I think it's fixed now.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
All this aside, I really can't seem to get on the boat at the end of Liberty Island.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

Is that what happened to me? I got VAC banned off of TF2 maybe five years back, and I kept pursuing what few avenues of appeal there were, and the answer I kept getting back was, "You know what you did, filthy cheating animal." No, dammit, I don't! The best part was when they suggested I reformat my computer, re-buy all my software, and then not do whatever flagged me in the first place, without telling me what that was. Real helpful, guys.

Goddammit I'm innocent, I tell you, innocent! You hear me? Innnoooceeeeeeent!

This is an annoying problem with no real solution; Valve can't go into specifics because for all they know you are a wallhack programmer, and any information they give can be useful for a redesign that conceals the fact that it's running. The only way to have a relatively hack-free online infrastructure is with this super-secret system, but in situations like yours it's maddening.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Puggsy (the Mega Drive version, that is) had a cute anti-piracy screen. It had a password system, but no Save RAM. Most copiers at the time just told the cartridge that they had 8KB of SRAM so it could use it if it supported it, or ignore it. Puggsy would check to see if SRAM existed, which it shouldn't on a legit cartridge, and if it was found it'd stop the game after the first boss and throw this error up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Puggsy (the Mega Drive version, that is) had a cute anti-piracy screen. It had a password system, but no Save RAM. Most copiers at the time just told the cartridge that they had 8KB of SRAM so it could use it if it supported it, or ignore it. Puggsy would check to see if SRAM existed, which it shouldn't on a legit cartridge, and if it was found it'd stop the game after the first boss and throw this error up.

For the curious this was how Earthbound worked as well, instead checking the size of the save space (which was usually larger than Earthbound's save on a copier).

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
IIRC Psygnosis' console ports of Lemmings would do the ram thing too, except they'd randomly interpret clicks on the game's UI as being on the suicide button if SRAM was detected.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Enallyniv posted:

All this aside, I really can't seem to get on the boat at the end of Liberty Island.

I'm pretty sure this was unintentional and happened because some voice files or whatever were missing from most pirated copies and therefore couldn't trigger the end of the level. Confirm/deny?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Bouchacha posted:

I'm pretty sure this was unintentional and happened because some voice files or whatever were missing from most pirated copies and therefore couldn't trigger the end of the level. Confirm/deny?

This is the explanation I remember. Early pirated downloads of Deus Ex came without sound files to save space, because the game would just ignore their absence. But the boat event just happened to require some sound file to play in order to trigger.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
XIII was pretty elaborate in it's piracy checks where the developers went so far as to record lines for characters to say at certain checkpoints. It was something along the lines of "I'm supposed to let you past, but you've pirated this game".

Escape Velocity had a shareware limit where after 30 days the plot and certain technologies were locked out and Cap'n Hector (named after the dev team's grey parrot) would repeatedly rock up to wreck your poo poo in an invincible ship.

GODS was another example of piracy checks ruining a game's reputation. The game would cross-check if you'd overridden the "enter this to start" copy protection and subsequently crank up the difficulty making it near impossible to get past the first boss. Problem was this copy was shared around quite a bit by reviewers who declared it infamously difficult.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Was it true that the original Pokemon games had the sailor that takes your ticket at the SS Anne say "By the way, if you like this game, buy it or die!"?

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

Dabir posted:

Was it true that the original Pokemon games had the sailor that takes your ticket at the SS Anne say "By the way, if you like this game, buy it or die!"?

I can't imagine Nintendo being cool with them putting a death threat in a children's game even if its ideally only for people who pirated it.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Dabir posted:

Welp. looks like it was false. It does happen, but I don't think NOA added it.
Just so I don't have to re-upload, I will post a link.

http://tcrf.net/Talk:Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 16, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uhhh Stgggs/TeamInfoslash has a new video up and I think this is the point where it switches from trolling to cyberbullying. The last video with steamers accidentally showing their password reset code on the stream was kinda funny but this is just sad. They're gonna get this youtube account closed too if they keep this poo poo up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXf9uZxAAw

Now since that isn't funny, here's one of their GOOD videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbKNtEds78

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, there is, buried deep in the control options, an option to bind you looking in all four directions to a keyboard key (in addition to your mouse). These controls enabled you to set keyboard commands for turn left, right, and look up and down. The thing about this is, DICE didn't program this very well at all, and the result is if you bind a key to right or left turning and hold it down you will turn at the seemingly the maximum rate the engine can handle. This can be paired with sprinting forward to make you look like a retarded human tornado.

Now, you may be asking yourself "where is the grief there?" Well, if you do something amazing or skilled or out of the ordinary at all and then spun, the killcam would show you spinning all while trying to keep the camera centered in front of you. When I realized what I could do with this, every time I got a kill with the AT4 on a helicopter, I spun. Every smoke launcher kill, spin. Knife? Spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Au7F3GCF5Q

The behavior for spinning is in BF4, unchanged (:dice:), but killcams are changed and people are less likely to call hacks. The BF3 beta and some number of patches after that had the behavior unchanged (:dice:), but now the patches made it so you have to be moving your mouse to be spinning (:dice: :dice: :dice:).

People were dead certain I was hacking.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

RatHat posted:

Uhhh Stgggs/TeamInfoslash has a new video up and I think this is the point where it switches from trolling to cyberbullying.

Yeah they've kind of lost it now. Actually calling someone's personal phone to harass them over a video game is kind of what the gently caress and beyond trolling.

DA PANET EARF posted:

When I realized what I could do with this, every time I got a kill with the AT4 on a helicopter, I spun. Every smoke launcher kill, spin. Knife? Spin.

This is magical.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 16, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DA PANET EARF posted:

Now, you may be asking yourself "where is the grief there?" Well, if you do something amazing or skilled or out of the ordinary at all and then spun, the killcam would show you spinning all while trying to keep the camera centered in front of you. When I realized what I could do with this, every time I got a kill with the AT4 on a helicopter, I spun. Every smoke launcher kill, spin. Knife? Spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Au7F3GCF5Q
Even though you described it perfectly -- even though I knew what I was in for when I clicked this link -- I still was not prepared. When the pre-kill sequence was over and I finally saw the killcam I laughed so hard I had to pause the video.
Godspeed, you violent human tornado.
:allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Uhhh Stgggs/TeamInfoslash has a new video up and I think this is the point where it switches from trolling to cyberbullying. The last video with steamers accidentally showing their password reset code on the stream was kinda funny but this is just sad. They're gonna get this youtube account closed too if they keep this poo poo up.

I found it pretty funny on account of her internet tough guy-ing. And anyone who considers streaming to be their job deserves to be poo poo on. Tho they are also pretty terrible for digging up her personal info, if that's true.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

RatHat posted:

I'm going to assume the 150+ copies of Rust are hacked in some way.

But yeah this has gone way too far.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
All they want is her to crush a can for jay owen, it seems pretty reasonable.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

univbee posted:

For the curious this was how Earthbound worked as well, instead checking the size of the save space (which was usually larger than Earthbound's save on a copier).

EarthBound did several more checks than just the SRAM. Full details here: http://tcrf.net/Earthbound#Copy_Protection

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

One day, I joined a server, played for about a minute tops, got a kill on 1 fully loaded attack chopper (1 pilot 1 gunner), then spun. I was then greeted with "You are banned from this server, Reason: Suspicious."

I am still permabanned from that server

DA PANET EARF fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 16, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Yeah, Punkbuster is hilariously bad. I pretty much quit APB because it'd kick me out at random times because it would trigger off Afterburner, the program that lets you overclock your GPU and control fan speeds because of reasons. I find this to be kind of sad because it literally does nothing against the hordes of random hackers and aimbotters that roam the game although I'm not sure if making me quit was actually an act of kindness.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Speaking of lovely Anti-Cheating measures. Maplestory has one called BlackCipher which literally crashes the game at startup if it detects cheatengine is installed on your computer. I use cheatengine for other games when I'm mostly loving around so of course whenever I want to play this one specific game I need to uninstall it.

Not to mention that anything you do in-game anyways can kick you from the game because of "Blackcipher Hacking detected". Change a map? Hacking detected. Lagging a bit in battle? Hacking. I guess I griefed myself on this.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 16, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A recent Gameguard update (that has since been patched) made Chrome's sandbox engine poo poo itself and refuse to do anything if Gameguard was loaded in memory. That was fun.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
//edit: (ignore my poor reading comprehension)

Anyway, here's a story about a time that I wasted too much time setting up a grief that completely failed.

Inspired by one of the many "griefing erotic role-players in WoW" stories, I set off to do something that seemed like a decent griefing experience; It would be fun for me, inconveniencing to others, and all perfectly legitimate in-game. Back when I first stared playing, I remembered a dangerous area near the low-level alliance town of Lakeshire. Just up the hill from the town was a pack of three orcs that were a few levels higher than the average character would be at that point. They were hidden behind a tree, and - in the early days of WoW - being attacked by multiple targets (especially those of higher level) was almost certain death for many classes. Their position was burned into my memory because they killed me more often than I'd care to admit. I created a horde character on an RP-PVP server and decided I would role play their bandit king. The area was well-known to be dangerous, but since they were just basic mobs it wasn't too hard to escape them. But, I imagined, with an rear end in a top hat rogue player stealthing and teleporting around I could lock down the road.

The zone containing Lakeshire is one of the lowest-level contested zones, so even with my level-20-capped f2p account I could still be a threat to players - especially with a few AI buddies backing me up! I spent the next few days building my character up to level 20 and began the long and dangerous trek to human territory. Upon arriving in Lakeshire, I was greeted with a rude awakening - the orc mobs I was relying on weren't there. I thought maybe they had just been killed, so I waited for them to respawn. They didn't. It turns out that in the years I spent away from WoW, those mobs were removed. Defeated, I hung around anyway; hoping that some low-level player would wander by so I could kill them. Nobody did.

My griefs are always much better in my head.

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

RatHat posted:

Wow, that is hard to watch. That streamer may not be someone I would want to hang out with but calling her at home and calling her ugly, fat, and stupid is just terrible.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I always thought the best nexus grief would be making some sort of naked body mesh mod only for it to change every model to be horribly bloated and ugly. That or something out of a creepypasta like some scary npc pop out and instantkill you complete with jump scare noises.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bucketmouse posted:

Blizzard steganographs your basic public account info (name/time/server/level/class) into every screenshot taken in wow and there have been several instances where people bragging anonymously about being complete dicks in-game have been punished because of it.

There's a bit of misinformation going about on this.

Blizzard added pic stenographs in the beta build of Wrath of the Lich King, which came out in 2008. It was to detect leaks of the closed beta build. The pic labelling never made it to the full game or it was removed within weeks/months.

As for the dick detecting, they only have a few hundred servers worldwide. If the tard boasting about his exploit, cheat, or whatever he did it wouldn't be hard to search the chat and event logs using whatever evidence the tard said. Just takes time. And wouldn't be surprised that the Warden algorithms are designed for this.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
edit: Nevermind, I misinterpreted what it can do.

Inco fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 16, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

kirbysuperstar posted:

A recent Gameguard update (that has since been patched) made Chrome's sandbox engine poo poo itself and refuse to do anything if Gameguard was loaded in memory. That was fun.

This feels like the publisher equivalent of getting you to stream your steam reset password.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

RatHat posted:

I think these two guys getting griefed by the police for a while would be a lot more funny than "crush a can for Jay Owen" ever could have been.

K. Farb
Aug 6, 2009

I'd give you a ride, but I got Karl Farbman here.
Jay Owen is about as funny as Mike Hawk was in middle school (not that funny) and "crush a can for Jay Owen" isn't very clever so I'm not sure why this joke has gone on so long. They could use a new gimmick.

K. Farb fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 16, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Arkham Asylum pirating grief is genius because all it does is drastically reduce your gliding ability. If you were playing the pirated version the entire time you wouldn't notice the difference. But when you get to that one area that requires the maximum possible gliding distance to traverse, you could totally tell who pirated based on their forum posts about not making it over the gas pit.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 16, 2014

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Cojawfee posted:

I think these two guys getting griefed by the police for a while would be a lot more funny than "crush a can for Jay Owen" ever could have been.

I reported his video at like 1:10 where he calls the chicks house like a complete freak, hopefully we can grief him by having his IP banned from youtube or something similar.

Making someone mad on the internet is one thing, calling someone on the phone just to tell them they're ugly and stupid is just pathetic.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

K. Farb posted:

Jay Owen is about as funny as Mike Hawk was in middle school (not that funny) and "crush a can for Jay Owen" isn't very clever so I'm not sure why this joke has gone on so long. They could use a new gimmick.

It's gone on so long because most people don't have two creative neurons to rub together. It's the same reason that loving shibe garbage is everywhere.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Making someone mad on the internet is one thing, calling someone on the phone just to tell them they're ugly and stupid is just pathetic.

It's also incredibly creepy.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Stop griefing in ways I don't like.
:goonsay:

Harassment is harassment whether its prank calling or calling them fat via VoIP.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

RatHat posted:

It's kind of their own fault if they're not keeping their internet presence insulated from their personal info. It's really easy to look stuff up based on someone's social network links or Paypal email.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Action Tortoise posted:

The Arkham Asylum pirating grief is genius because all it does is drastically reduce your gliding ability. If you were playing the pirated version the entire time you wouldn't notice the difference. But when you get to that one area that requires the maximum possible gliding distance to traverse, you could totally tell who pirated based on their forum posts about not making it over the gas pit.
If I recall, there was also some key point in the game where you had to grapple up somewhere, but the grapple point simply wouldn't appear, and there was no other way to reach it.

erotic dad posted:

It's kind of their own fault if they're not keeping their internet presence insulated from their personal info. It's really easy to look stuff up based on someone's social network links or Paypal email.
Are you kidding me? It's their fault and they deserve it because they didn't actively prevent some rear end in a top hat from going internet detective on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Vib Rib posted:

If I recall, there was also some key point in the game where you had to grapple up somewhere, but the grapple point simply wouldn't appear, and there was no other way to reach it.

That one was apparently a bug that got patched super quickly after launch, so it was an unintentional piracy check.

• Locked thread