Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PriNGLeS posted:

Make a forums account on origins, go to "board index", create account button. Configure daoc portal to point to your client directory.

I just tried registering and got an error. Must be popular!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks, now waiting for account creation confirmation, but I guess their SMTP functionality is not working because of the server hammering.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Fister Roboto posted:

I just tried registering and got an error. Must be popular!

Yeah. Hammer it. It'll work eventually.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

For some horrible reason I want to make a Thane. Someone talk me out of it. Or into it if you like.

Edit: There are like 400 people on right now. But, I'm having a problem connecting.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 16, 2014

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

It was down for a reboot, portal hadnt refreshed it yet.
But now, 'No record for user found' oh lord that would not be good. Oh nevermind my mistake, I guess they can steal my level 17 uthgard character now :(

Worfus
Sep 24, 2007
As someone who played a thane to RR8 in the SI time period. DO NOT DO IT. It is an amazingly fun class IF people invite you in RVR. What happens is they never do, anybody competent never will. You have to earn everything or they have to be bored and desperate. Also half your deaths will involve hib caster stun and a life span of less than 8 seconds. The spells are really fun but are not worth no det, few groups, and hib caster stun death.

Perhaps people will be different on a smaller server and you'll be able to get groups and maybe defend some keeps (in which they are tons of fun). But likely you end up with a bad character and the only person to blame is yourself.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
They appear to be having some ridiculously bad server issues at the moment. 500 person cap was an occasional freeze and when they uncapped it, it's pretty much every other pull.

Interestingly enough Battlegroup exp appears to not diminish your take at all and as such people on an "old" exp server are 25 within a couple hours. I'm certainly not jelly (doing it as well), but it seems like that will kill the "leveling" community pretty quick.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Maybe we should have more of an official leveling group, tomorrow, when the server poo poo is fixed? I'm going to try and get a couple chars to 5 tonight if I can.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
I think as long as you get in during this weekend at some point there will always be a BG forming up going straight to 50. Zerging down reds/purps for cap exp is kinda crazy silly.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Cap is 500, and they're currently investigating "if they should" increase it. Their current hardware supposidly can only support 700. Not really sure what they were thinking. Trying to be a ghetto version of Uthgard, I guess.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Cap is 500, and they're currently investigating "if they should" increase it. Their current hardware supposidly can only support 700. Not really sure what they were thinking. Trying to be a ghetto version of Uthgard, I guess.

Almost 600 people on. They must have increased it. I hope they figure this poo poo out, because I miss classic SI.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cnaiur posted:

Thanks, now waiting for account creation confirmation, but I guess their SMTP functionality is not working because of the server hammering.

Just a heads up for anyone else who was waiting on one of these, if you tried to make your account this morning they just manually authed most of the accounts.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
The group bonus on this server is broken in two ways: 1) It gives bonus based on group size, not mobs linking. 2) It gives retarded amounts of bonus xp.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.
30 posts in the DAOC thread. Something is happening!

Most people playing Mid? Thinking about going Hib.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shux posted:

It looks like everyone is going Mid. I personally hate Hib classes, otherwise Hib is an ok place.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Shux posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely mid. Working on a warrior at the moment. Almost 10. Just rolling over stuff in a group of lowbies.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I put up a basic 30 person mumble if it needs to be larger/configurations/rooms setup let me know.

address: https://www.secludedpixels.com
port: 44889

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Got a savage named Tanreall up to 13. Anyone know a guild we could join or do we want to start one up?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

Got a savage named Tanreall up to 13. Anyone know a guild we could join or do we want to start one up?

Myth or For The Realm are probably the best bets.
Got my warrior up to 41. Redcap battlegroup xp is hilarious.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Yeah I need to get into one of those.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
The lowbie BG that ran to 50 yesterday just started again with the guy's new character, still plenty of room. It's around level 8-12 at the moment.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I Hit 50, got my epic armor and was about to go get my epic weapon. When Midgard SI crashed. If it was just a normal crash I would be worried about the server but it's crashing because it's too popular. They were planning for ~500 concurrent players and when Midgard SI crashed they had 1400+.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
highest I've seen so far is 700. Lets hope they get enough server stability and income to keep this server alive for a while.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I would get on your mumble but that address is messed up and I can't connect to it.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Worfus posted:

As someone who played a thane to RR8 in the SI time period. DO NOT DO IT. It is an amazingly fun class IF people invite you in RVR. What happens is they never do, anybody competent never will. You have to earn everything or they have to be bored and desperate. Also half your deaths will involve hib caster stun and a life span of less than 8 seconds. The spells are really fun but are not worth no det, few groups, and hib caster stun death.

Perhaps people will be different on a smaller server and you'll be able to get groups and maybe defend some keeps (in which they are tons of fun). But likely you end up with a bad character and the only person to blame is yourself.

Yeah. Yeah this sounds familiar.

How do you make Thor: The Class so unpalatable to a faction about Norse mythology? It was the mez breaking lightning hammers wasn't it. I'm sorry but they just look so cool.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Tanreall posted:

I would get on your mumble but that address is messed up and I can't connect to it.

Once I get home from work I will see if its been refusing connections (aprox 3 hours from the time of this post). Also I will post the numbers for it as an alternate. Anyone else having troubles connecting?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

I Hit 50, got my epic armor and was about to go get my epic weapon. When Midgard SI crashed. If it was just a normal crash I would be worried about the server but it's crashing because it's too popular. They were planning for ~500 concurrent players and when Midgard SI crashed they had 1400+.

Protip: For good gold after 50. http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html?cquest=3187

Just got 49.5 on my warr. So many crashes. Server is way too popular for its own good. What's your name?

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
Kinda boned myself atm running with the XP BG Zerg. Whoops.

Level 40 as a melee with no gear doesn't work very well. No money either. Oops hah

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I'm a bit confused about the process for getting this setup. I have downloaded the game client and installed daoc portal. Do you need to let the mythic patcher install the game prior to patching with daoc portal?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Nosthula posted:

I'm a bit confused about the process for getting this setup. I have downloaded the game client and installed daoc portal. Do you need to let the mythic patcher install the game prior to patching with daoc portal?

Yes you need to install the game first.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kejek posted:

Kinda boned myself atm running with the XP BG Zerg. Whoops.

Level 40 as a melee with no gear doesn't work very well. No money either. Oops hah

Yeah, it's pretty rough. I'll throw whatever spare stuff I have to you. What are you/what's your name?

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Yes you need to install the game first.

Thanks I ran the client installer but wasn't sure if I was supposed to let it patch up to retail or not prior to running the client patch.

Kejek
Nov 19, 2006
In game name is Sersly, savage.

Kejek fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 19, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Nosthula posted:

Thanks I ran the client installer but wasn't sure if I was supposed to let it patch up to retail or not prior to running the client patch.

I believe the daoc portal will patch it down/it supports the latest game.dll version. If not, you can always search for 1.109 game.dll.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

I believe the daoc portal will patch it down/it supports the latest game.dll version. If not, you can always search for 1.109 game.dll.

DAoC portal was no longer showing the server but I was able to get patched up using the origins portal. It did successfully downgrade the version. Thanks for the help. No clue what I would like to play. Unfortunately I will not have much time to play.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Nosthula posted:

DAoC portal was no longer showing the server but I was able to get patched up using the origins portal. It did successfully downgrade the version. Thanks for the help. No clue what I would like to play. Unfortunately I will not have much time to play.

Yeah, the server is being goofy right now, it's not showing up on the DOL server list (daoc portal). Playing a support class of some kind would probably be your best bet if you don't have a lot of time to play. Easier to get in to a group.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I tried setting this up but the game kept freezing or crashing. Was it because of the server congestion?

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
Which classes are the most fun for solo pvp for caster and melee?

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

sinewave posted:

Which classes are the most fun for solo pvp for caster and melee?

I enjoy the high damage runecaster, 2 bolts usualy takes down a not so perfectly geared clothy plus speed and some aoe damage.

Warrior is a solid class DAoC did heavy tanks right (after years of them being sad)

These would be my two recommendations but I don't enjoy the stealth game much... and spirit master has a pet which drives me a little nutty trying to get to work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

PriNGLeS posted:

Protip: For good gold after 50. http://camelot.allakhazam.com/quests.html?cquest=3187

Just got 49.5 on my warr. So many crashes. Server is way too popular for its own good. What's your name?

Tanreall in game.

• Locked thread