Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

t_violet posted:

I went nuts with the Liberty of London/Target collection (I have the chairs, rain boots, bins, pillows, canisters, etc) so that sounds like it would be very cool.

Yeah, thinking of it now I checked out Liberty London's website and I am most def going to pick up two or three of their swatches and do this in about a month. Costs a buttload to get shipped to the US but they should turn out pretty fly if I can find a tailor I trust not to gently caress up the stitching.

That Target stuff sounds pretty cool but personally I am more monochromatic and boring re: interior design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

t_violet posted:

I am sad that I can't remember any popular kids series from when I was a kid. Free to be you and me but nothing after that beyond Judy Blume.

I don't either. I started reading Stephen King when I was like, 10, and then Crichton so I missed out on the trends. I'm trying to force King on my 12 year old but he doesn't like to read. I'd think he was adopted except I'm his mom and I know better.

Also, total aside, but my kitty's name is Violet. I had to leave her in the States with my BFF because she is old but I miss her. The new cat is not her.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

poopkitty posted:

I don't either. I started reading Stephen King when I was like, 10, and then Crichton so I missed out on the trends. I'm trying to force King on my 12 year old but he doesn't like to read. I'd think he was adopted except I'm his mom and I know better.

Also, total aside, but my kitty's name is Violet. I had to leave her in the States with my BFF because she is old but I miss her. The new cat is not her.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I did too; I was raiding my dad's scifi collection in 5th grade and I think I skipped over the trendy teen books.

Aw, old kitties. :3: Trufax: I was kinda a weeaboo for a while and seriously considering quitting my job to go teach English in Japan. But I couldn't bear the thought of having to find homes for my cats, they would've been so sad.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

t_violet posted:

Aw, old kitties. :3: Trufax: I was kinda a weeaboo for a while and seriously considering quitting my job to go teach English in Japan. But I couldn't bear the thought of having to find homes for my cats, they would've been so sad.

Totally understand. We moved here against our will, but we're embracing it. We thought Miss Violet would be happier in the warmth of San Diego, and we picked up Ichiro (new kitty) off the mean, cold streets of Yokohama. He'll come home with us when we make the trek back to the Motherland.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
can a cat person* please explain to me why they always roll over, tempt me with their fluffy bellies, and then attack me when i touch them

i'm accustomed to dog language, where rolling over is an invitation - nay, a demand - for tummy-rubs, but apparently it means something different to cats because they respond to my pats with indignation and fury

i would like to maintain a friendly relationship with the species and understand their mysterious ways. please help me.

*if you're posting in this thread and you're neither myself nor vansandman you're probably a cat person

you rock
Sep 12, 2010

You wanna fuck with this shit I fuckin dare you. You fuck wit the hedge you get the spines
Ur not a real womyn til u peg a man

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

you rock posted:

I don't know what this means.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

poopkitty posted:

I don't know what this means.

gently caress a dude in the butt with a strap on

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Avshalom posted:

can a cat person* please explain to me why they always roll over, tempt me with their fluffy bellies, and then attack me when i touch them

i'm accustomed to dog language, where rolling over is an invitation - nay, a demand - for tummy-rubs, but apparently it means something different to cats because they respond to my pats with indignation and fury

i would like to maintain a friendly relationship with the species and understand their mysterious ways. please help me.

*if you're posting in this thread and you're neither myself nor vansandman you're probably a cat person

It's a trap.

*dog person unable to have one until 2016.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

NecroMonster posted:

gently caress a dude in the butt with a strap on

Oh yes! Score. I am womyn hear me roar.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

you rock posted:

doesn't answer my question but is nevertheless informative, 7/10

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

when cats get overstimulated they bite, also sometimes if they bite while you're giving them tummy rubs they're soft bites that don't hurt (depending on the cat)

focus instead on chin scritches, if the whiskers go forward you're doing a good job

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
but whenever i try to pat them in any way they roll over and wave their legs at me

i don't understand

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
put your foot on their belly and wiggle them around

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Avshalom posted:

but whenever i try to pat them in any way they roll over and wave their legs at me

i don't understand

That's weird. As a bonafide crazy cat lady, I don't get them rolling over on their backs unless it's hot. Usually they just want you to scritch their heads and cheeks. Also, a lot of cats don't like to see your hand coming towards their face, they want to be petted, they just want your hand to sneak up from behind.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My cats will sometimes flip my hand onto their heads with their noses if they want pets :3:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

My cats will sometimes flip my hand onto their heads with their noses if they want pets :3:

my cats just crawl onto me and pass out petting is totally optional as far as they are concerned

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Mine will knock my phone out of my hands if I'm using it two-handed and she feels I should be petting her. It's usually when I'm lying on my back, propped up on pillows, in bed or on the couch. She'll stretch out on my torso, head on my chest, and if I don't pet her within an acceptable time frame she just pokes one paw out fast and knocks the phone from my grip. First couple of times she did it startled the hell out of me.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.
i miss my cat. i had to leave him with my parents because my apartment charges pet rent.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
here is how my interactions with cats go:

1) cat approaches, i freeze warily

2) cat rubs face on my pants to assert ownership (???)

3) i offer my fingers for the cat to sniff, if it doesn't immediately become hostile i pat its back

4) if the cat responds with purring i cautiously progress to chin tickles

5) cat purrs for several seconds and then suddenly flips onto its back, exposing its stomach, and waves its legs at me like a cockroach

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
http://www.catlateraldamage.com/

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i like this idea but it needs more development

i basically want to knock down dominos as a cat

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Avshalom posted:

here is how my interactions with cats go:

1) cat approaches, i freeze warily

2) cat rubs face on my pants to assert ownership (???)

3) i offer my fingers for the cat to sniff, if it doesn't immediately become hostile i pat its back

4) if the cat responds with purring i cautiously progress to chin tickles

5) cat purrs for several seconds and then suddenly flips onto its back, exposing its stomach, and waves its legs at me like a cockroach

step 6 is you continue chin scritches because belly exposure does not necessarily mean they want tummy scritches, it just means they're happy and trust you

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Portals posted:

step 6 is you continue chin scritches because belly exposure does not necessarily mean they want tummy scritches, it just means they're happy and trust you
so a supine cat will not attack as long as i don't make contact with the sensitive abdominal zone

i'll test this theory and get back to you on my findings

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 4, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
thanks for your help everybody

there's a smoky grey cat that belongs to a neighbour i've never met. she visits me every time i'm hanging my laundry out, and we're developing mutual goodwill and appreciation so i don't want to sabotage her friendship

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Avshalom posted:

so a supine cat will not attack as long as i don't make contact with the sensitive abdominal zone

i'll test this theory and get back to you on my findings
Sometimes cats do it because they want to start poo poo. When a dog rolls over and shows its belly, it's vulnerable. When a cat rolls over and shows its belly, it's in the perfect position to wrap its front legs around you to lock you in, then rabbit-kick and disembowel you with its back legs, while biting the crap out of you.

If it hasn't drawn blood then it's just play-fighting. Cats like play-fighting, you just have to teach them not to be sharp.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

amarantinesky posted:

The answer is that it's not acceptable to spend $1000 on any material possession that's not for basic survival like a house or car :colbert: I guess it's because I grew up without much money and I'm studying social work, but that seems like a ridiculous amount of money to me. I feel guilty about shopping at Trader Joe's because it's expensive and I've been horrified the few times I went to Whole Foods, and food is an actual necessity. Even if I had that kind of money (which lol I definitely do not), I don't think I would ever be okay spending it on shoes, remote controlled planes, power tools, magic cards, whatever. I don't think you have to give all your money to charity or only own 20 possessions... I just don't understand a $1000 coat.

I grew up really poor but if you have money your relative idea of value can change pretty quickly.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The only thing I've spent more than $1000 on is my iMac. My laptop is also a Mac, but I got it secondhand.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Fisticuffs posted:

I grew up really poor but if you have money your relative idea of value can change pretty quickly.

So true. I grew up "rich," then left home to be poor. Now (after 18 years in this job) I'm doing pretty well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

this but unironically

actually by 14 i'd moved on, my love for clive barker got me sent to the school counsellor and my parents received concerned phone calls that they dismissed angrily

if my daughter wants to read about ectoplasmic ghost rape, my mother said (possibly not in those exact words), that is her right as a citizen
Tom Clancy
Stephen King
Those novels about the navy SEAL told from his point of view where he's a mondo badass, wisecracking

Our high school library was formed when two libraries merged, so the back was full of discard paperbacks for free. Every day, all the sci fi i could carry home in a big paper sack.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I wouldn't buy a $1000 coat, but I would seriously consider a $1000 computer, major piece of furniture (like a bed), or piano. I've definitely spent that much on hobby materials, not all at once, but over the course of years. I'm sure my rent also seems way excessive to anyone outside of New York.

At the same time my friends who consider themselves poor are willing to spend multiple thousands on intangibles, like vacations and therapy. I can't imagine spending that much on a vacation, and something would have to be seriously, seriously hosed up (and therapy would have to be helping objectively) to drop that kind of cash. And even when they're begging poverty, everything they eat is super hippie, organic/local/happy-animals/etc., which is nice, but also definitely a luxury that seems a little excessive when you're working retail.

It's just different priorities. I scrimp in some areas so I can splurge in others; some people would rather spend in other categories or even it out or do whatever else. You kind of have to let it go because otherwise it has the potential to drive you nuts daily.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Avshalom posted:

friendship

they fight with each other for fun

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

what if someone spilled wine on your $1k coat :ohdear:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

One assumes a $1k coat is not constructed of cotton.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

is it made of titanium

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

One assumes leather or dense wool.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm sure my rent also seems way excessive to anyone outside of New York.

Same, but Tokyo. That hardly counts though - rent costs what it costs. You have to pay for safety in the US and populated places cost more.

Also, priorities, yes. I pay $5000 a year so my 12 year old can go to a private school online. Worth every penny. The only English-speaking school here that is less than that is run directly by the federal government and he attended for 4 months before we pulled him out. (And had to put him in counseling, too, because it was AWFUL. Thank goodness we have insurance.)

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Also, RE my new boots (which I adore and would be sleeping in if Mr.Poop would let me.) They came in a box with a website on the bottom. http://superawesomeunicornglittershit.net Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Anne Whateley posted:

Sometimes cats do it because they want to start poo poo. When a dog rolls over and shows its belly, it's vulnerable. When a cat rolls over and shows its belly, it's in the perfect position to wrap its front legs around you to lock you in, then rabbit-kick and disembowel you with its back legs, while biting the crap out of you.

If it hasn't drawn blood then it's just play-fighting. Cats like play-fighting, you just have to teach them not to be sharp.

Yeah, it's mostly this. If a cat likes you and it shows you its belly, it wants to play. Sometimes you'll get a weird cat that thinks it's a dog and wants belly rubs, but mostly they want to kick you in the elbow.

As a tip for people who didn't grow up with 7 cats in their house, when you meet a new one it's better to hold out your fist instead of your fingers. That way if it likes you it can easily rub its cheek on your hand to let you know you've made a friend, and if it doesn't like you then you've given it a less sensitive target for biting.

Also also another good place to pet a cat besides its chin/ears is its back at the base of its tail, cats fuckin loooove that. Don't do it if your particular cat gets violent when overstimulated though because it'll take approximately 2 seconds for it to go HOLY poo poo IT'S BITING TIME NOW

The most expensive thing I've ever owned was a ~£500 laptop, although I did spend ~£600 to go to Disneyland Paris a couple years back. So I can understand dropping a large amount of money on something you'll love or get a lot of use out of. A coat that costs that much should last the rest of your life if you look after it, heck you could pass it down when you get old. For that it needs to be a classic cut though, something that you can wear with anything and won't look hilarious once you're not 21 any more, and that tends not to be the kind of thing that gets posted in the fashion thread :v:

• Locked thread