Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Well there's your problem. The mail is being delivered by sea!

Yeah, splurge for air mail at the very least. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Endings posted:

Is that a boat? Yes, in fact, the site code refers to a mailserver sitting in the middle of an ocean, hooked up by satellite link.
Ticket assigned to network ops team for routing issue investigation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone took containerised data centre a little too literally.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Endings posted:

A ticket came in: Email is slow.

Welp, time to go manage some expectations! So I go up to see the user and examine it. You know, that actually is really slow, taking upwards of two minutes to download the single test message I sent her. How odd. I tell the user I'll look into it, and head back to my desk to see what mailserver she's on.

...Well, I don't recognize that site code. Ask around, no one else seems to. Search the company intranet site...

Is that a boat? Yes, in fact, the site code refers to a mailserver sitting in the middle of an ocean, hooked up by satellite link. Good thing she's new and her mailstore isn't real big yet! Send the ticket off to the exchange team to migrate her (have fun with that, guys).

I think this is the only legitimate 'email is slow' ticket I've ever seen.

Set a lookout to watch for the mail buoy. Ticket closed.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Sickening posted:

I might have just goatse'd their fax machine using faxzero.com just now. I think they deserve it.

Well at least corvettefisher now has some advance notice on what his first ticket will be.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
edit: nevermind I misread

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wheezle posted:

Well there's your problem. The mail is being delivered by sea!

Two friends of mine who are in the merchant marine but stationed on different ships tell a story about trying to death match each other. They figured their ping times would be pretty good because they were getting into position for underway replenishment.

A cute idea, but their packets still had to travel 44,000 miles (or whatever twice what geosynchronous or geostationary orbit is) to cross two miles of ocean.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Should have gotten the cantennas out

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Everyone runs an unqualified UPDATE query on a production database exactly once.

Yep. Except it was DELETE.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One thing I don't miss from the navy... Being ashore for a couple of weeks because of training while my ship was sailing meant my user profile was accessed via satcom. 512kbit satcom with lots of users on it :v:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Client has Acrobat on their 2012 server and it's published via RDWeb programs. They want to be able to double click a pdf on their domain connected windows 8 desktop and have it open in Acrobat from the server so that it's not installed on their desktop. Anyone have any idea how to do this or if its possible? I'm thinking it'll be something via the file type associations??

Everything I've found online is Server 2010 or Windows 7. :negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A brief bit of reading suggests that it's possible, you need to create an MSI of the RemoteApp and deploy that to clients so they know what to do.

I can't get this to load at the moment but it looks like it should do the trick http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive...sociations.aspx

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nitrogen posted:

We've all been there. The real pros own up to what they did, and work to fix it.

Users just go, "I don't know how the laptop screen shattered! I just found it that way!"

Real pros write down what they did if they ever mess with something. :v:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Client has Acrobat on their 2012 server and it's published via RDWeb programs. They want to be able to double click a pdf on their domain connected windows 8 desktop and have it open in Acrobat from the server so that it's not installed on their desktop. Anyone have any idea how to do this or if its possible? I'm thinking it'll be something via the file type associations??

Everything I've found online is Server 2010 or Windows 7. :negative:

This should help : https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10817.publishing-remoteapps-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ratbert90 posted:

Real pros write down what they did if they ever mess with something. :v:

This.

Goddammit Agrikk-from-ten-weeks-ago! Finish your goddamn documentation!

While I think it's great that you took a bunch of screenshots of the special snowflake installation process for $app, it's annoying as all getout that you didn't actually finish writing the document surrounding those screenshots. Step twenty-one, then... nothing.

What did you do? What did you know?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Get in to work. Sit down. Get immediately back up, coffee needed. dammit dammit dammit. Coffee applied. Sit back down. Open ticket system.

"Trackpad broken on iPad Air"

so it's going to be one of those days then.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

mad.radhu posted:

"Trackpad broken on iPad Air"

I'm genuinely curious as to what this means. I'm thinking them meant Macbook air, but I'm picturing an iPad Air with a shattered screen.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I also just got what is, as far as I know, an impossible request. New guy wants a macbook air, with two external displays, one of them he wants to be able to rotate into portrait mode. The only way I know to do two displays off an Air is to daisy chain Thunderbolt displays ($1k per) which would be possible with an Air, but I don't know of any display that is rotatable and supports Thunderbolt. huh.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Just had a ticket come in: "Some people can't get to our public website from their bookmarks; typing the URL manually works fine." :psyduck:

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, but am I wrong in being completely loving baffled? We can't reproduce this issue and most reports of it are a week+ old and they're all second-hand (I don't do public IT) so of course nobody can give me any actual details. Nothing about our website has changed recently and the only answers I can come up with that seems any kind of reasonable is that either people had bookmarked some weird old redirecting site that no-one knew about and was pruned without notice, or that there's something about this issue that's not making it past user ignorance and retellings (which is infinitely more likely).

I've asked around to see if anyone can get me information like browser version and bookmark URLs but other than that I don't even know where to start looking.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

I also just got what is, as far as I know, an impossible request. New guy wants a macbook air, with two external displays, one of them he wants to be able to rotate into portrait mode. The only way I know to do two displays off an Air is to daisy chain Thunderbolt displays ($1k per) which would be possible with an Air, but I don't know of any display that is rotatable and supports Thunderbolt. huh.

Just get a stand/mount that rotates for it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mad.radhu posted:

Your best bet might be one monitor on DisplayPort and another on a USB 3.0 DisplayLink video card.

Or just get a 13" Retina Pro.

Edit: I think you can go MacBook Air -> ThunderBolt Display -> DisplayPort Display

Edit again: Nope. Christ this is confusing.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 16, 2014

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Fenrisulfr posted:

Just had a ticket come in: "Some people can't get to our public website from their bookmarks; typing the URL manually works fine." :psyduck:

Yet another case of "There's a problem with this thing, but you don't have access to the thing and we can't give you the info you need to diagnose the thing." If you can't actually look at an example, just tell them to delete and re-create it and be done with it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 16, 2014

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

What about a Matrox DualHead2Go? This and two DVI diplays should be quite a bit cheaper.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fenrisulfr posted:

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing, but am I wrong in being completely loving baffled? We can't reproduce this issue and most reports of it are a week+ old and they're all second-hand (I don't do public IT) so of course nobody can give me any actual details. Nothing about our website has changed recently and the only answers I can come up with that seems any kind of reasonable is that either people had bookmarked some weird old redirecting site that no-one knew about and was pruned without notice, or that there's something about this issue that's not making it past user ignorance and retellings (which is infinitely more likely).

I've asked around to see if anyone can get me information like browser version and bookmark URLs but other than that I don't even know where to start looking.
If it's end-users, it might not even be an old redirect. I've seen lots of cases where people bookmark some random page on a site, then click back to the home page from there. If that subpage ever disappears, then they complain the site's broken.

A lot of our people "bookmark" a site by saving it as a MHT file on their desktop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ThinkFear posted:

What about a Matrox DualHead2Go? This and two DVI diplays should be quite a bit cheaper.

That's no good if you want to rotate displays

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

USB DVI adapters work on Mac. as do the targus USB 3 docks.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Caged posted:

That's no good if you want to rotate displays

Yeah, looks like you're right. How about a USB3.0 dock with dual head video? I've used older usb2.0 DisplayLink adapters to success, albeit on Windows.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

KennyTheFish posted:

USB DVI adapters work on Mac. as do the targus USB 3 docks.

thank god

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fenrisulfr posted:

Every time I've seen this, the customer had bookmarked something weird.

Like instead of bookmarking https://www.domain.com they bookmarked https://www.domain.com/something/something?something.html

Delete existing bookmark. Make new bookmark.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Every time I've seen this, the customer had bookmarked something weird.

Like instead of bookmarking https://www.domain.com they bookmarked https://www.domain.com/something/something?something.html

Delete existing bookmark. Make new bookmark.

Yeah, I blame "bookmark" as "i'm copying and pasting the url out of a text document" and ellipsis in the url.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in: BES servers are down.

Ive done what I know, restart services, restart exchange services and the like, the server isnt syncing with the handhelds.

I ask the account lead about it and he gives me crap, telling me this should have been a Sev 1 outage ticket and I need to escalate it. Fair enough, so I escalate the ticket and email the account lead and Sr tech. Within three minutes I get an email back from both of them "were busy with our other stuff, you deal with it"

FFS

Edit: well, got it working. Looks like the internal DNS servers are hosed completely right now. I have BES going through google short term and tomorrow we can look at the internal DNS servers, because gently caress overtime.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 17, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At this point I'm thinking it's gaslighting. Either that or you're the victim of organized group stalking in the workplace, Targ.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It just gets less and less believable - not that I don't believe you. But to rage out about elevating the ticket and then 5 minutes later telling you to deal with it, wow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I set my internal profile picture to grumpycat, but I'm just not feeling it. My job is just too good now, I don't understand how to handle not having contempt and distaste for my fellow man in my heart all the time.

Is this happiness? It's like schadenfreude except that no one else is miserable and it's just wonderful everywhere. What is this emotion?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volmarias posted:

I set my internal profile picture to grumpycat, but I'm just not feeling it. My job is just too good now, I don't understand how to handle not having contempt and distaste for my fellow man in my heart all the time.

Is this happiness? It's like schadenfreude except that no one else is miserable and it's just wonderful everywhere. What is this emotion?

Going to a really good job from a really crappy one is like when you haven't had sex for a long time and then you get laid and you just walk around with a stupid grin on your face.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ijustam posted:

Yep. Except it was DELETE.

Or done an rm -rf * as root, in /. Or set a DNS server, that uses directory authentication, as its own primary resolver.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

mllaneza posted:

Or done an rm -rf * as root, in /. Or set a DNS server, that uses directory authentication, as its own primary resolver.

My very first time using AIX, I learned that there was a large difference between the way killall works on AIX from the way it works on Linux :shobon:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

more like dICK posted:

My very first time using AIX, I learned that there was a large difference between the way killall works on AIX from the way it works on Linux :shobon:

Oh I remember when I got my sparcstation booted up for the first time... and brought it down shortly afterward.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

more like dICK posted:

Never, ever use killall anywhere. "ps aux | grep [p]rocess | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

evol262 posted:

Never, ever use killall anywhere. "ps aux | grep [p]rocess | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill"

pkill is what all the cool kids use (at least on Linux and some BSDs).

• Locked thread