Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Weinstein said that he was specifically targeting Howard's audience of men to go see the movie. Which is still stupid, but at least we'll get to hear a bunch of clips on Monday about how relevant the show is because of the news about this amazing NRA movie :rolleyes:

Also I totally agree the birthday show is sounding awful. Not just the lame guests, but I'm really getting the impression that the audience will be like .001% fans/contest winners and the rest Important People and random celebrities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Smeep posted:

Also I totally agree the birthday show is sounding awful. Not just the lame guests, but I'm really getting the impression that the audience will be like .001% fans/contest winners and the rest Important People and random celebrities.

I'm speculating a shout of "I love you Howard!" about once every 10 minutes.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Finndo posted:

You mean Pameler Anderson?

I hope Niggerless Cage shows up too

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Beth's birthday present to Howard will be to have sex with John Stamos again.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

haljordan posted:

Beth's birthday present to Howard will be to have sex with John Stamos again.

I thought it would be a birthday BJ, because you know they are special when you only get one a year.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I hope Niggerless Cage shows up too

Stuttering John is the gift that keeps on giving... The Tonight Show audition tape us 10 years ago next month... It's still funny to this day.

What is Stuttering John up to these days anyways?

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

an adult beverage posted:

What is Stuttering John up to these days anyways?

He's been a writer for the Tonight Show ever since he stopped being Jay Leno's announcer. Believe it or not.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Jeez, I wonder what he will do after Jay goes off the air next month.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Indolent Bastard posted:

I thought it would be a birthday BJ, because you know they are special when you only get one a year.

I was just listening to one of last weeks shows when he said "how much sex do I need" what the gently caress kinda poo poo is that?

wow, such denial and brainwashing

much trophy

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

an adult beverage posted:

Jeez, I wonder what he will do after Jay goes off the air next month.

I bet he'll continue to find a way to wheel and deal. His only skills were throwing people under the bus and reading questions prepared by Howard, Fred, and Jackie yet he still managed to score a record contract, headlined a comedy tour (where he'd get paid more than actual comics despite having only a 15 minute set of his own), and owned two houses during his time on the show. He left the show for an even more lucrative, seven figure contract as an announcer for the Tonight Show.

Dude has already made out like a bandit with the meager talent he has, he's pretty much the luckiest guy in show business even if he never gets a subsequent job.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Not really luck, he was just allowed to brandish the Howard Stern name in getting work. Howard didn't clamp that stuff down yet.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

I bet he'll continue to find a way to wheel and deal. His only skills were throwing people under the bus and reading questions prepared by Howard, Fred, and Jackie yet he still managed to score a record contract, headlined a comedy tour (where he'd get paid more than actual comics despite having only a 15 minute set of his own), and owned two houses during his time on the show. He left the show for an even more lucrative, seven figure contract as an announcer for the Tonight Show.

Dude has already made out like a bandit with the meager talent he has, he's pretty much the luckiest guy in show business even if he never gets a subsequent job.

I think it was all his shady stocks nonsense in the 90s that financed those two homes. Seemed like every shithead boiler room type would call the office to give Gary and John "tips" for years (including Sal). If those walls could talk...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Don't know how I missed this one but yea, solid hour of just slamming Gary around because he let germs into the studio. Howard's still as vicious and amazing at this as when he started when he wants to turn it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpJVXANjHXA

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

kylej posted:

I think it was all his shady stocks nonsense in the 90s that financed those two homes. Seemed like every shithead boiler room type would call the office to give Gary and John "tips" for years (including Sal). If those walls could talk...

He was involved in a lot of pump-and-dump stock scams at the time. There's a book on the rise of pump-and-dumps and other stock schemes that were big in the '90s, called "Born To Steal: When The Mafia Hit Wall Street" -- Stuttering John's name comes up in it a bunch of times because they'd use the show to pump the lovely stocks. Years ago, The Smoking Gun had the paperwork for a few lawsuits against the show based on accusations of it. Dunno if they still do and don't have time to go check now.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Fred doing his stuttering John voice while spitting out stock terms is one of the best things ever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Fred doing his stuttering John voice while spitting out stock terms is one of the best things ever.

"Got any IPOs?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisYmobGiJo

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
"Its a bu-bu-bu-bu-b-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bullmarket"

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
So stuttering John was basically a successful version of Sal the Stock Broker?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

So stuttering John was basically a successful version of Sal the Stock Broker?

Stuttering John was a schemer, through and through. Stuttering John + Sal's stockbroker license and holy poo poo a lot of old people would be living in shacks right now.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Here's Kidd Chris ruining an interview with Kane from the WWE by bringing up his old evil dentist gimmick from the early 90s

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2014/1/18/5323414/so-heres-kane-cutting-an-interview-short-over-an-isaac-yankem-mention

He's in Cincinnati now.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Here's Kidd Chris ruining an interview with Kane from the WWE by bringing up his old evil dentist gimmick from the early 90s

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2014/1/18/5323414/so-heres-kane-cutting-an-interview-short-over-an-isaac-yankem-mention

He's in Cincinnati now.

nah

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I for one was shocked when the exposé that Junkyard Dog was neither a junkyard nor a dog came out

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
IT'S A STUNT GRANNY

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I'm on a delay again, but just checked in with the John Goodman interview, it's always great to see somebody you like turns out to be a nice guy. He was a big fan of the show too, it was great to hear him get excited about Richard and talk like his dad. It seems most of the celebrity fans always seem to like Richard a lot.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

AxeManiac posted:

I'm on a delay again, but just checked in with the John Goodman interview, it's always great to see somebody you like turns out to be a nice guy. He was a big fan of the show too, it was great to hear him get excited about Richard and talk like his dad. It seems most of the celebrity fans always seem to like Richard a lot.

Everybody likes Richard a lot and it's great how much Howard doesn't like that

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Everybody likes Richard a lot and it's great how much Howard doesn't like that

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

It seems most of the celebrity fans always seem to like Richard a lot.

Most of the [fill in the blank] fans like Richard a lot. The show has never had a more universally loved cast member than Richard. It feels weird for this show, and I love how totally irritating it is to Howard.

AxeManiac posted:

I'm on a delay again, but just checked in with the John Goodman interview, it's always great to see somebody you like turns out to be a nice guy. He was a big fan of the show too, it was great to hear him get excited about Richard and talk like his dad.

Yeah, good interview, very likeable guy. I was sad to hear that he is a TMer, though. Come to think of it, Howard has had a lot of famous followers of TM on in the last year or so.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, good interview, very likeable guy. I was sad to hear that he is a TMer, though. Come to think of it, Howard has had a lot of famous followers of TM on in the last year or so.

In recent years, the guests have tended to come from Howard's show-biz contacts. Anybody who's a client of Don Buchwald gets on the show, for example.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
From Artie's twitter

https://twitter.com/ArtieQuitter/status/420414364701577216

.... is that Artie?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know what I'll be listening to all day at work today:

https://soundcloud.com/elibradensternsongs

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

That's Mike Bochetti, the "announcer" on Artie's show.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Squashy Nipples posted:

For the most part, the meditation stuff is mainly a way to clear your minds and focus on stuff, basically take some time to think. Not everyone is paying millions of dollars to have your mother approve of your spiritual friend like Howard does, so it isn't all rich people trying to buy meaning in life.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Kurt Vonnegut took a class in Transcendental Meditation. When he came to speak at my university, he told us all his super-secret mantra word that he had been instructed not to give out. (It was "om".)

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AxeManiac posted:

For the most part, the meditation stuff is mainly a way to clear your minds and focus on stuff, basically take some time to think.

Technically the goal is to rid your mind of all thoughts for the duration of the meditation (but not to resist them when they come, just let them pass on through) but yeah. It's an incredibly simple and effective technique and I suggest that everyone looks for the freely available guides that people have posted all over the net. The best ones are on sites decrying it for being a scam.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
You're probably going to see a lot more TMs on the show and in general, since it's the only form of meditation currently backed by the American Heart Association for lowering blood pressure.

Having a paper with that credential is huge in the medical community. It'll only get more popular as the rate of hypertension cases skyrockets.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress if Howard likes some method of relaxing that costs no one anything and he isn't peddling anything by promoting it?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

rawdog pozfail posted:

Technically the goal is to rid your mind of all thoughts for the duration of the meditation (but not to resist them when they come, just let them pass on through) but yeah. It's an incredibly simple and effective technique and I suggest that everyone looks for the freely available guides that people have posted all over the net. The best ones are on sites decrying it for being a scam.

I thought it was more about not caring that you have random thoughts, like allowing your mind to flow without judgement or evaluation of those thoughts. I couldn't do it at all, my head is like a dozen hamsters in a squeaky wheel.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress if Howard likes some method of relaxing that costs no one anything and he isn't peddling anything by promoting it?

They charge people millions of dollars to attend meetings with the big wig dude (not Howard).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If we classified every instance of "Dumbass fools are easily parted with their money" as a scam in this country, there would be no such thing as capitalism.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AxeManiac posted:

I thought it was more about not caring that you have random thoughts, like allowing your mind to flow without judgement or evaluation of those thoughts. I couldn't do it at all, my head is like a dozen hamsters in a squeaky wheel.

This is a pretty accurate description of the practice but the ultimate goal is to lose even the mantra and 'transcend' your thoughts. The teachers describe it as going 'deeper and deeper into the pool of thought'.

My experience was similar to yours but I gradually experienced more and more periods of mental quiet time as I went on. The first few weeks were definitely a hurdle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ether Frenzy posted:

Last I read, classes cost over a thousand dollars.