Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I know this was an issue they fixed in the beta (which the way you were using it would appear broken) but yeah you should be using Back or swiping back to do what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just swipe the entire page to the side, there's hardly any reason to ever use the Back button in Awful.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
On my Motorola Xoom with Android 4.1.2 when I click YouTube links they will often to replay the last video I watched or only partially load the elements of the new page.
It cold be a problem with the YouTube app, but I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Put me in my place if this has already been answered but is it possible to get a "ignore thread" feature in the future?

Absolutely loving the app btw!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

GET MY BELT SON posted:

Put me in my place if this has already been answered but is it possible to get a "ignore thread" feature in the future?

Absolutely loving the app btw!

I don't think it has been requested before but are there threads you cannot stand to even see? Why not, well, ignore the threads?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Quoting seems to have an issue where switching away from Awful (say, to the browser for a link) and back reloads the quote, obliterating whatever I may have had written in the post. I am not sure if it's a memory thing (I have a Nexus 5, and this hasn't started happening until recently, so it's doubtful) or if it's something specific to my usage - maybe I have a big saved post somewhere and the app can't hold any more. Should I try clearing the app's cache?

Nexus 5, not rooted, 4.4.2 (KOT49H)

E: Cleared Awful's data and cache. It had some 30MB in data and exactly 4.00 MB in cache. If I had to guess, it would be the cache, but I have not tried quoting yet. Will update once I give it a whirl.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 17, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Entire Universe posted:

Quoting seems to have an issue where switching away from Awful (say, to the browser for a link) and back reloads the quote, obliterating whatever I may have had written in the post. I am not sure if it's a memory thing (I have a Nexus 5, and this hasn't started happening until recently, so it's doubtful) or if it's something specific to my usage - maybe I have a big saved post somewhere and the app can't hold any more. Should I try clearing the app's cache?

Nexus 5, not rooted, 4.4.2 (KOT49H)

E: Cleared Awful's data and cache. It had some 30MB in data and exactly 4.00 MB in cache. If I had to guess, it would be the cache, but I have not tried quoting yet. Will update once I give it a whirl.

Is there a difference between switching back to the app and reopening the app?

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Sereri posted:

I don't think it has been requested before but are there threads you cannot stand to even see? Why not, well, ignore the threads?

It's not that at all. I do most of my SA browsing on the phone and every time I go to a subforum I've got to scroll past at least one or two stickied thread sometimes many more. I just thought it would be nice to be able to ignore them. I understand that it's not a big deal I just thought I'd ask while it was on my mind. Keep up the great work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sereri posted:

Is there a difference between switching back to the app and reopening the app?

Reopening the app (From this post-in-progress, hitting the home button, opened Chrome from home screen, hosed around a bit with news articles, hit home button, opened Awful from home screen): returned to thread instead of post, but popped up dialog with saved draft when I hit 'post reply', including my entered text.

E: Switching to Chrome, loading 2 pages, switching back, via multitask button: returns directly to post dialog, gives 'loading' box while displaying quoted text and my entered text, but when it finishes loading it only shows the quote and not my text.

Seems maybe 'closing' the app will save a draft, but switching out and back with the MT button doesn't save the draft and on resume it 'refreshes' the current page, then?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 17, 2014

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pull to refresh bug appears to be back again with the new awful version. Nexus 5 4.4.latest

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If I've got a bug I'd like to report, is it best to report it in this thread, the project.log thread, or in GitHub, or in the Google+ group?

HOWEVER, I'm on Gingerbread, I haven't seen anyone else in this thread complain about this bug, it's really minor, and I need to get off of this shamephone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

If I've got a bug I'd like to report, is it best to report it in this thread, the project.log thread, or in GitHub, or in the Google+ group?

HOWEVER, I'm on Gingerbread, I haven't seen anyone else in this thread complain about this bug, it's really minor, and I need to get off of this shamephone.

Github > this thread > the other thread > g+

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sereri posted:

Github > this thread > the other thread > g+
Okay, it's in github.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So just today, the Awful app isn't loading any images in any thread. I haven't changed any settings or anything like that. I'm on 4.4 on a Moto X. Any suggestions?

Edit : OK, it seems to have fixed itself. I don't know what's going on.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 20, 2014

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
First of all, I'm really enjoying the app! I wanted to point out though that on my tablet whenever I go from portrait to landscape mode, if I'm reading a thread it goes to the list of forums. I've been launching the app from the bookmark widget, if that matters.

I'm using the app on a Nexus 7 (2013) running 4.4.2.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Been launching the app from the app drawer on the 2012 Nexus 7 running 4.2.2, same issue. I've taken to locking rotation when I want to read the forums.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Azurrat posted:

Been launching the app from the app drawer on the 2012 Nexus 7 running 4.2.2, same issue. I've taken to locking rotation when I want to read the forums.

You can lock rotation within the app settings.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can lock rotation within the app settings.

That's hardly a fix, though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

That's hardly a fix, though.

Didn't say it was. It's just a lot better than turning off rotation device-wide every time you use the app.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man, I updated my apps on my positively ancient Droid 2 and the Awful app updated too. Now it runs smooth as glass and doesn't cause my phone to lock up after I'm done using it or let the screen shut off with it still running! It runs flawlessly, hurrah! Best update ever, though I think the colors of posts are maybe a teensy bit too light. Thanks for updating it!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Was reading a thread on the app and bone-headedly skipped to the latest page. While loading, I noticed that the next post was a reply quoting me.

In the browser I could just hit the back button to go back and read it before skippong forward in the thread again... but the back button in this app is equivalent to swiping right. Since I couldn't remember the page number of the thread ... I think I'm a little boned...

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 10, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Love Stole the Day posted:

Was reading a thread on the app and bone-headedly skipped to the latest page. While loading, I noticed that the next post was a reply quoting me.

In the browser I could just hit the back button to go back and read it before skippong forward in the thread again... but the back button in this app is equivalent to swiping right. Since I couldn't remember the page number of the thread ... I think I'm a little boned...

So would something like a 'recent pages' area at the bottom of the page selector dialog solve that? Shouldn't be too hard.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Would it be possible to have a function like the images on wifi only for embedded YouTube/videos? Replacing them with links instead.

I generally skirt pretty close to my bandwidth cap each month so every bit adds up.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

VodeAndreas posted:

Would it be possible to have a function like the images on wifi only for embedded YouTube/videos? Replacing them with links instead.

I generally skirt pretty close to my bandwidth cap each month so every bit adds up.

You're probably better off using the actual forum settings to turn off embedded video.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have had a couple crashes from trying to open a thread from bookmarks. Sent reports, one last night and one a free minutes ago. It seems to happen right as the app starts to lead the thread. Nexus 5, stock 4.4.2, not rooted or anything.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

RVProfootballer posted:

I have had a couple crashes from trying to open a thread from bookmarks. Sent reports, one last night and one a free minutes ago. It seems to happen right as the app starts to lead the thread. Nexus 5, stock 4.4.2, not rooted or anything.

I just took a look and they seem to be crashes inside the webview library.

I like the crash description:

Native crash
in unknown.unknown

I also just destroyed my AS by installing a preview version and now Gradle isn't working, so there's that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

I just took a look and they seem to be crashes inside the webview library.

I like the crash description:

Native crash
in unknown.unknown

I also just destroyed my AS by installing a preview version and now Gradle isn't working, so there's that.

Hah, super helpful description! Also I just noticed all the typos in my post, glad you could decipher it :)

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Awesome app. I've been using it nearly everyday. Is there any talk about including tabbed browsing so you can open, and load multiple threads?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Steeltalon posted:

Awesome app. I've been using it nearly everyday. Is there any talk about including tabbed browsing so you can open, and load multiple threads?

Not in the near future.

My definition of near future is like a year.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Random suggestion: I'd like some visual identifier that some text is spoiler-blocked, If I have them disabled.

I turn spoilers off because my tablet has a random problem with finding the precise point to touch to uncover them sometimes (goes beyond the app), and it can be awkward to have to edit a post because I hadn't realized we were discussing a spoiler topic.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Sweet app and never going to browse SA again without this. However, couple of things to report:
1) browsing yospos sometimes displays the normal style and sometimes not, completely randomly.
2) browsing yospos sometime breaks the app, and random black boxes appear everywhere. App needs restart or issue won't solve.

Thanks for your time and effort!
edit - using a Galaxy S3

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 23, 2014

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Cippalippus posted:

Sweet app and never going to browse SA again without this. However, couple of things to report:
1) browsing yospos sometimes displays the normal style and sometimes not, completely randomly.
2) browsing yospos sometime breaks the app, and random black boxes appear everywhere. App needs restart or issue won't solve.

Thanks for your time and effort!
edit - using a Galaxy S3

It's a hint. Stay out of yospos!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

It seems like every time I open this app, both on my Nexus 7 and Moto X 4.4, it's a coin flip on whether it loads my bookmarks or gives me a "failed to load" error requiring a refresh. Doesn't matter if it's on wi-fi or mobile data.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just here to say that I finally had to update because my old version did not load forum sections anymore, and 2.4.3 which worked on my phone was not available anywhere.

Anyways with 3.x FYAD theme is the most legible with best contrast (black on white) , and I think it should be the default theme.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
So, reporting a bug here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611625#post426322242

It seems that the app posts a weird character with the £ sign. Could be a unicode translation problem? I was going to take a look at it this weekend and see if I can figure it out.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Will you be adding a stylesheet/colour theme for BYOB?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ulvir posted:

Will you be adding a stylesheet/colour theme for BYOB?

Was about to ask that too. I need to get a better chillin' experience.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sorry everyone, between work and accidentally getting a personal life I've been a bit busy lately. If someone wants to make a BYOB theme I'll be happy to include it. Just modify one of the current css files and get them to me in any way you want.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have a small request. Is it possible to add a confirmation dialog to removing a bookmarked thread? With the toggle bookmark option being the option that is dead center when you long-press, I seem to accidentally remove bookmarked threads fairly often.

Also, thanks again for the app. With how hectic my life has been I end up surfing the forums more from my phone than from my desktop, and the app continues to work beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Hey everyone, I've been working on a rewrite of Awful called Something.apk.

I've been working on it privately for a little while now, so it's already come a long way. I've started a development thread in project.log where you can follow the development and post suggestions or bug reports. The current stable build is actually really stable, so give it a shot.