Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
My grandmother likes to laugh and tell everyone about the time she beat the poo poo out of me when I was a toddler. I don't remember it and my mom is sure I'd have told her if it happened, but I flinch every time someone makes a sudden movement around me as an adult.

Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

My discipline revolved around not wanting to disappoint people instead of not wanting them to beat me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My mum used to only spank me on the bum until once I managed to back myself into a corner so she couldn't so she slapped me in the face instead. That was definitely discipline, not lashing out like a child herself, no siree. I'm an adult and I don't hit people to make them do what I want because I'm not a loving barbarian.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Well if those kids had been spanked, then they wouldn't have decided to become mentally ill and not shoot up a school! :downs:

carnivaljunkie
Apr 7, 2006

What's it like in funny little brains? It must be so boring.

I so wish there had been comments on this one.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
You can book her here and learn about real logic: http://www.thefulltimegirl.com/about/

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

carnivaljunkie posted:

I so wish there had been comments on this one.

Well start them up, "Plants are life dude, god help you if you trim your bushes."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I was spanked as a kid :shobon: I tried googling cases against spanking and saw some huffpo article saying it detrimental to vocabulary retainment or something, among other cognitive capabilities. Well, I majored in English (and in fact minored in a foreign language) in college, and now I'm a copy editor, so am I the exception? For people in this thread who weren't spanked, how did you learn discipline?

My parents told me when I did something lovely.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

If I had ever been spanked I would totally have done whatever I was being punished for again but ten times worse to teach my parents not to spank me.

So how's your life now? Your answer will seriously affect whether I spank my future kids. lol not really but srsly, all I have to go off is myself because I don't know anyone who wasn't spanked

VVVV sounds almost exactly like what I had growing up. I guess I just don't know enough about child psychology to see if solely saying "you're doing something bad (or "lovely" in that other poster's case)" will register for them in the long run.

Jedi Knight Luigi has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Jan 17, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I was spanked as a kid :shobon: I tried googling cases against spanking and saw some huffpo article saying it detrimental to vocabulary retainment or something, among other cognitive capabilities. Well, I majored in English (and in fact minored in a foreign language) in college, and now I'm a copy editor, so am I the exception? For people in this thread who weren't spanked, how did you learn discipline?

It was a mixture of spankings, timeouts, and suspension of privileges from the age of 4 to 10, when spankings and timeouts were removed from the lineup. It depended on how much of a little poo poo I was being, the most egregious shittiness earning me a spanking. They gave me a number of spankings equal to my age. I don't recall the spankings being particularly bad, so I... guess it was okay?

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

Well start them up, "Plants are life dude, god help you if you trim your bushes."

Personally I'd go with, "Tapeworms are life too, that doesn't mean I have to let one live inside me".

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT SPANKING, take it somewhere else, idiots on social media.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OptimusShr posted:

Why? Just loving why? :negative:

Didn't help them with their facebook posting.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"I got spanked and I turned out all right, what do people have against spanking?" is bad enough when it's on facebook, let's not bring it here.

Red is a friend of mine who recently moved back to South Africa, blue is a white friend of his there.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I don't know about you guys, but it's been a banner day for jackasses on my Facebook feed. I keep seeing these absolutely ridiculous "My music is better than your music" thing, that inevitably compares some old rock legend from the 70s with a modern pop star. They obviously all just boil down to "I want an excuse to hate on you because having a different opinion about art is literally the worst thing in the world."

SO, I made my own that I've been posting back at people. I call it, "YOUR MUSIC ALSO SUCKS." Feel free to use it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Obsolete posted:

I don't know about you guys, but it's been a banner day for jackasses on my Facebook feed. I keep seeing these absolutely ridiculous "My music is better than your music" thing, that inevitably compares some old rock legend from the 70s with a modern pop star. They obviously all just boil down to "I want an excuse to hate on you because having a different opinion about art is literally the worst thing in the world."

SO, I made my own that I've been posting back at people. I call it, "YOUR MUSIC ALSO SUCKS." Feel free to use it.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and not use this ever, thanks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Obsolete posted:

Was a coward that killed himself because he was sad.

I know it's a cliche thing to say at this point, but... it's you. You are the yadda yadda yadda

Funzo posted:

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and not use this ever, thanks.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I know it's a cliche thing to say at this point, but... it's you. You are the yadda yadda yadda

Also, stairway to heaven about rape? c'mon.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Goons are bad at recognizing jokes.

Film at 11.

Alternatively:

Goons fall into trap set for other spergs.

Grraarrgghh has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jan 17, 2014

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Chomp8645 posted:

I like how this implies that exploratory surgery is something done just for the hell of it and not an absolute last ditch resort when someone is loving dying and the doctors have no idea why.

DOCTORS GET PAID BY BIG PHARMA TO CUT U OPEN FOR FUN DONT U NO ENYTING? :byodame:

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

Grraarrgghh posted:

Film at 11.

Alternatively:

Pretty much.

FWIW, I prefer Queen, Zep and Nirvana over the others, but the point is that you can cherry pick whatever you want with a bare minimum of searching (or just make poo poo up) to make whatever you want sound "good" or "bad." Whether I executed it well is another discussion, but... yeah...

"Goons Fall into Trap Set for Other Spergs"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Grraarrgghh posted:

Film at 11.

Alternatively:

I'm legitimately cool with every part of it but the last. It's not that I like Kurt Cobain or his music (I hadn't knowingly listened to any of it), so much as "he killed himself because he was a coward and sad" is the shittiest thing you could say about a suicide.

The rest of it is pretty decent, I guess, but that last bit just shuts down any value the rest of it has.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Film at 11.

Alternatively:

What's the funny part? Is it just the, "Let's see if this upsets people" part?

Obsolete posted:

Whether I executed it well is another discussion, but... yeah...

GO BACK AND DO IT AGAIN BUT DON'T TRY AS HARD!

Bored has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Jan 17, 2014

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm legitimately cool with every part of it but the last. It's not that I like Kurt Cobain or his music (I hadn't knowingly listened to any of it), so much as "he killed himself because he was a coward and sad" is the shittiest thing you could say about a suicide.

The rest of it is pretty decent, I guess, but that last bit just shuts down any value the rest of it has.

That is a fair point and I apologize for that. I should definitely change that part as you are exactly right.

Oh, well, carry on.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Bored posted:

What's the funny part? Is it just the, "Let's see if this upsets people" part?

Apparently 6.5 years of posting here hasn't taught you that making people upset is like 99% of what SA finds funny.

And Cobain likely killed himself because of mental stress and the never ending physical pain he was in because of his stomach issues.
:goonsay:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Obsolete posted:

That is a fair point and I apologize for that. I should definitely change that part as you are exactly right.

Oh, well, carry on.

It's cool. I don't think you actually meant any harm, and the rest of the picture serves a noble goal.

Yet again I'm sad that my Facebook is full of reasonable, intelligent individuals who rarely-if-ever post stupid poo poo.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

You forgot to include Jimmy Page had sex with a 14 year old girl. That would be better then the stairway to heaven part.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Apparently 6.5 years of posting here hasn't taught you that making people upset is like 99% of what SA finds funny.

Well, yeah. But I usually actually get the joke they are trying to make. This one doesn't really work as a parody of this meme. I've not seen one of these music now/music then things talking about the musicians as people. It's usually "hurr, this lyric is stupid, but this lyric a decade or so ago from a completely different genre of music wasn't as stupid." The only reason I knew it was a joke was because Obsolete said it was.

Note: I thought too hard about why I couldn't find the funny in it and this is what I decided. I'm not funny, either.

Edit: If you go the Nirvana route, I think one of the guys is an anti-vaxxer and the other is an AIDS denier.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Bored posted:

Well, yeah. But I usually actually get the joke they are trying to make. This one doesn't really work as a parody of this meme. I've not seen one of these music now/music then things talking about the musicians as people. It's usually "hurr, this lyric is stupid, but this lyric a decade or so ago from a completely different genre of music wasn't as stupid." The only reason I knew it was a joke was because Obsolete said it was.

Note: I thought too hard about why I couldn't find the funny in it and this is what I decided. I'm not funny, either.

Edit: If you go the Nirvana route, I think one of the guys is an anti-vaxxer and the other is an AIDS denier.

Eh, Dave Grohl did that way after Nirvana ended and it looks like Krist Novoselic is surprisingly involved in politics now but not anti vax as far as I can see. Also no one really cares about the opinions of the non Kurt Cobain Nirvana members when talking about Nirvana.

swampland has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Jan 18, 2014

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Hmm...anyone? Can anyone guess why we wouldn't fund zombie proof tires?

Also, seeing as clearly a model exists, and they have a lot more uses than surviving a zombie apocalypse, I imagine it HAS been funded. Wait, how are these tires even zombie proof? Are the zombies supposed to bite through the regular tires? This image is strange.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, you would think perfectly ordinary tires would also be zombie-proof. Seriously, try chewing through a loving car tire sometime, let me know how it goes.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

trapped mouse posted:

Hmm...anyone? Can anyone guess why we wouldn't fund zombie proof tires?

Also, seeing as clearly a model exists, and they have a lot more uses than surviving a zombie apocalypse, I imagine it HAS been funded. Wait, how are these tires even zombie proof? Are the zombies supposed to bite through the regular tires? This image is strange.

As far as I'm aware that project for solid tires is quite well funded, the purpose is so that wheeled vehicles for the army aren't as easily disabled by simple road traps.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I'd say it's because you never have to make sure they are filled with air, so in a hypothetical zombie apocalypse you'd never be all "Oh no, I have a flat tire."

That's my best guess as to what that person meant...

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grraarrgghh posted:

And Cobain likely killed himself because of mental stress and the never ending physical pain he was in because of his stomach issues.

Not true. The "suicide" note was his apology to his fans for leaving Rock and Roll. Courtney Love killed him. :colbert:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Grraarrgghh posted:

Shbobdb posted:

Not true. The "suicide" note was his apology to his fans for leaving Rock and Roll. Courtney Love killed him. :colbert:

Not true. Michael Stipe killed him at Courtney Love's request. At the time, Stipe was still bisexual, and he found himself overwhelmingly attracted to Courtney. She wanted out of her marriage, so she promised to let Stipe have sex with her in return for killing Kurt. Stipe did the deed on Cobain, and Love gave him every sexual experience that she could imagine. Stipe found the experience with her to be so repulsive that afterward he foreswore women forever, which is why he's gay now.

:colbert:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wanted to give hers skills the benefit of the doubt since it's a rough sketch, but I remembered she posted this on her twitter earlier:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I had somebody post this the day of that movie theatre shooting in Kentucky. You know, the guy who got shot for texting his daughter during the previews.

By an old man, mind. Not by a child.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

vxskud posted:

As far as I'm aware that project for solid tires is quite well funded, the purpose is so that wheeled vehicles for the army aren't as easily disabled by simple road traps.

Ah yes; the "Tweel". They're a great engineering solution to a serious problem: they can go over large objects with ease and provide a much better ride quality than your average tubeless radial tire. The problem with the original design of the tires was the fact that they didn't handle well at average road speeds above 40 mph if I recall correctly. They also wore drastically faster than your average tire. Checking out wikipedia on them though says they've been redesigned and were used on a car in the Hot Rod Power Tour this year. This year the tour covered over 1,500 miles. So don't be surprised if they start making their way onto vehicles in the near future. :science:

drunk
Jan 26, 2010
Jesus, I didn't even have to try:

Original post if anyone wants to do since digging, although apparently that's not necessary.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The same way any other loving person learns discipline because my parents weren't loving idiots and could act like loving adults when they were teaching me to be one. I know that this is off topic but please, please don't spank your children. Just because you turned out alright, that doesn't make anything okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you
This is all over my Facebook today. When I try to find information about it all that comes up are right wing blogs.

• Locked thread