Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
jiji suiran hao da, dansi jimmyballs hao xiao oh

edit: His dick is mad big, but his jimmyballs are oh so small

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
我七八有七八寸。

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've just reported all of you for LANposting in T&T.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

MeramJert posted:

Ty

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MeramJert posted:

Please don't I hate having to do things

And please translate your Chinese to maintain harmony.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Grand Fromage posted:

Most All of it just means penis

Arakan fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 18, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I know that you were making a "joke" however, let's try to stay grounded in reality. A joke isn't funny if it isn't believable. For example that's why British comedy isn't funny, most of the things people say would never happen in reality.

:monocle: :psyduck: what? :psyduck: :wtf: :siren:

What?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arakan posted:

Most All of it just means penis

This is the way I treat all Chinese characters I don't know the meanings of.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

Please don't I hate having to do things

I can't make reports anyway because I don't have platinum.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Sorry but this is a completely unbelievable scenario. I'm sorry that you don't understand Chinese culture. If someone is molested or raped the correct response is to blame them and send them to their grandparents' hometown forever so as to not bring shame upon your family. I know that you were making a "joke" however, let's try to stay grounded in reality. A joke isn't funny if it isn't believable. For example that's why British comedy isn't funny, most of the things people say would never happen in reality.

Goddamnit Fall Sick and Die, you're making me agree with Bad Astronaut!!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Today was payday, so here's how it went down.

Following FSAD's advice, I scaled the outer wall of the school at dawn and spray painted an image of my genitals along with some norse runes. This was to establish dominance. After screaming at students in French for 7 hours (The Norman conquest of England brought many new words to English, as I am bringing them to China), I proceeded to threaten to blow up the school using a bomb fashioned from vinegar and baking soda found in the supply closet. My boss finally capitulated to my demands and paid me everything I wanted.

Ok, so here's what actually happened.

Don't sleep the night before. Skip breakfast. Taxi to school, forget course outlines in the bathroom at home. Slip on ice on the way to the taxi, ruining pants with dark brown street muck. Hide fearful grimace from the taxi driver behind insane air filter mask. Teach for 7 hours without more than 20 minutes of break to eat, get called into the office. "Watch out, I think she's gonna try and pull something" laowai co-worker warns in the hallway.

Get called into the office (actually, the storeroom) to discuss overtime pay. Presented with a pay stub that says "7633.33 RMB ( one excused absence)" Extra pay: 20x80RMB = 1600. Total pay: 9233.33".

Earlier today I received a job offer from a competitor in town, which actually is well respected by the local expats and teaches properly. gently caress it I think.

Stand in the storeroom/office/where the office lady has her lunch for an hour refusing to leave until it is accepted that since last pay I worked 110 hours,and that it had been previously promised to me that the overtime would make up for when I had a loving stomach infection on the 31st and missed 3 hours.

Alternate between saying "I'm mad" and "I'm sad" to my boss, along with "no, we are not leaving until this is done".

Get paid properly. I can't believe I had to flip my poo poo over what is basically about 2000 kuai

Karma is a bitch: After dropping myself and my coworker off at the apartment complex where we live, my boss drives her car into another car while pulling out. A beautiful black streak of scratched paint across the rear passenger door of a white sedan. "Nothing we can do" says my coworker. We eat beef noodles and they are loving delicious.

Thank you for the support, goons.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Some are born to quite their job, some achieve quitting their job and some have quitting their job thrust upon 'em!

At your next meeting you should appear cross gartered.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You said yes to the competitor, I hope?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I would certainly take the competitor's offer for sixth months and consider my options for September (i.e. work in a university from then on).

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

You said yes to the competitor, I hope?

Interview monday. I'm looking to switch over after spring festival and I get my weird half-pay (I am having my wages cut because I am not working during SFest, you see. the calculation is 16days worked * 8000/30 (days in a month).

Yeah so, NEVER WORK FOR JOY SCHOOLS. Can this be added to the OP? At best you will be politely hosed, at worse you will be rudely hosed.

GuestBob posted:

I would certainly take the competitor's offer for sixth months and consider my options for September (i.e. work in a university from then on).
Yeah this is my current plan. Looking around, there's lots of nice universities in places with reasonable air quality and no ice or steam fogging up your glasses when you pee.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Are university gigs really that easy to get in the mainland? I'm having a bloody hard time finding one in Hong Kong

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Are university gigs really that easy to get in the mainland? I'm having a bloody hard time finding one in Hong Kong

I'm keeping my hopes up. I have no actual idea beyond what people have told me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey if you go to HK as a tourist can you get a China tourist visa there overnight? I feel like I remember this. I have a friend who wants to try to get a year one there while visiting from Korea if possible.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

simplefish posted:

You can fall off the recruiter's wagon and be a dancing monkey in 101 vocational colleges or you can do a little work and find something which approaches a real job: teaching English majors and trying to setup an international program.

Seriously, if you want a halfway decent EFL job in a university then I'd be happy to talk.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Fun fact: a friend of mine who does part time work for my boss told her she once sadly asked him "why no foreigners stay for more than a year" with her school (s).

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I have no teaching experience I can put on a CV (lived in Thailand and knew all the schools and teachers in my city, people would just call me when they needed someone and I'd go work somewhere for a day or 2 when I felt like working) and I got loads of job offers from universities so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a job, you just have to dig through lots of their horrific websites trying to find the email address of the FAO and hope it actually works.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I have no teaching experience I can put on a CV (lived in Thailand and knew all the schools and teachers in my city, people would just call me when they needed someone and I'd go work somewhere for a day or 2 when I felt like working) and I got loads of job offers from universities so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a job, you just have to dig through lots of their horrific websites trying to find the email address of the FAO and hope it actually works.

Just to inject a note of caution: there are a number of provinces in which the SAFEA will reject a WP application if you don't have two years of experience. Recruiters normally get by this by altering your CV and/or documentation so as long as you are old enough to feasibly be two years out of college then you'll be fine (but of course, they never tell you they do this...how do you think they manage to get such a fat cut of the market?)

I have had legit candidates with two years of mixed teaching and arts related employment be rejected for a work permit because they didn't meet the necessary criteria.

If you are transferring FEC to FEC then you should be in a stronger position (I would assume) because one province's agency must (presumably) honour another province's judgements as they all reflect common basic standards but...

And some employers, regardless of where they are, seems to be magically able to hire whoever they like, but you have to be careful with them because eight times of ten they are also the ones who will pop you into a dancing monkey job because they don't need a qualified person in the first place. Which is why they are happy to bribe to hire noddy-the-NET.

I'm not calling you out on anything, I am just saying that your point about checking colleges out and applying directly is really important, especially if you don't meet the criteria on paper.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 18, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Ceciltron posted:

Blah blah blah

If your boss was a woman, why didn't you establish yourself as a threatening, physically dominant force from the beginning of the relationship? Some strategic stretching in front of her, an 'accidental' knock of your arm. Follow her home one night and make sure she sees you. You just wanted to make sure she got home safely. Someone should put this stuff in the OP so people don't need it spelled out to them.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 18, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

... boss was a woman ...

And you accuse me of not understanding Oriental culture!

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

GuestBob posted:

Just to inject a note of caution: there are a number of provinces in which the SAFEA will reject a WP application if you don't have two years of experience. Recruiters normally get by this by altering your CV and/or documentation so as long as you are old enough to feasibly be two years out of college then you'll be fine (but of course, they never tell you they do this...how do you think they manage to get such a fat cut of the market?)

I have had legit candidates with two years of mixed teaching and arts related employment be rejected for a work permit because they didn't meet the necessary criteria.

If you are transferring FEC to FEC then you should be in a stronger position (I would assume) because one province's agency must (presumably) honour another province's judgements as they all reflect common basic standards but...

And some employers, regardless of where they are, seems to be magically able to hire whoever they like, but you have to be careful with them because eight times of ten they are also the ones who will pop you into a dancing monkey job because they don't need a qualified person in the first place. Which is why they are happy to bribe to hire noddy-the-NET.

I'm not calling you out on anything, I am just saying that your point about checking colleges out and applying directly is really important, especially if you don't meet the criteria on paper.

I also have about 10 years of voluntary experience working with kids so I guess they counted that, I was just trying to point out that as he is already teaching in China he is more qualified than I was when I came here so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a university position.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Also a lot of non teaching jobs in China. Believe it or not.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I have years of EFL experience but I want more than the standard EFL classroom. Linguistics or Literature (my undergrad) is what I'd like to be running, or teaching on. I don't really want to move to the mainland, but what's screwing me in HK is that I don't have several years of tertiary teaching experience. I might have to do a few years gaining veterancy and then transfer back here, but that would screw with getting my HK PR. Maybe I could work just across the border? I don't know.

Magna, I'm doing the same job I did in the UK. I'm in this out of choice, not necessity - strange a circumstance as that is for EFL teachers in China

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey if you go to HK as a tourist can you get a China tourist visa there overnight? I feel like I remember this. I have a friend who wants to try to get a year one there while visiting from Korea if possible.

I remember LadyGalaga or SimpleFish talking about that, but i don't remember anything beyond maybe. I should have looked it up more before coming.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Good for you Ceciltron. Good for you. It's great to hear that stuff can go right for people once in a while!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Expedited visas to China from hk are doable. They just cost more.

I'm back in hk and it's a bit chilly here compared LA weather.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The overnight visas can be a bit of a moving target.

Make sure you are arriving in HK early in the day.

Make sure that your arrival is early in a full work week.

You can double check with one of the airport visa providers to make sure overnight or other fast visas are in bounds at the moment before you go, but I always make my plan to include the possibility of at least a three day turn around just in case. The need to use that plan happened twice over a period of 5+ or so years and about 20 trips up until a year ago or something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When you do an expedited application in HK, if you do it in the afternoon, you'll get it the next afternoon. In the morning, the next morning. They are open a couple hours in the morning and a couple in the afternoon. To absolutely guarantee that you get two chances to apply (in case more than one thing goes wrong) you'll want to have 2 1/2 days. I would not plan on less; and 3 is a good idea.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
So how does the contract release/visa transfer process work? Effectively: how the heck do I change employers?

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 19, 2014

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

So how does the contract release/visa transfer process work. Effectively: how the heck do I change employers?

Given your current situation you may find that it's likely six and two threes about whether you try to get everything in order to leave or whether you simply completed your contract. My advice:

- If you have two/three months or less on your contract then finish it.

- Get another job lined up, may as well do the medical (if necessary) for whichever province you are going to when you interview in person.

- Oh yeah, interview in person.

- About six weeks before you change jobs send a formal email to your current employer visibly CC your new employer stating which documents are needed and the timescale your new employer requires.

- A month before your contract ends, send another email to your current employer reminding them of the documents and dates. CC new employer.

- Three weeks before the expiration of your current RP, obtain a release letter from current employer.

- Take release letter, your RP, current FEC and new medical to your new employer.

- New employer applies for new FEC.

- New employer applies for new RP using new FEC and new medical.

Now, there may be a few changes to this because of the new State Council regs which came in on September the 1st (possibly involving cancelling your current FEC and maybe RP and putting you on an interim tourist visa but this is not national policy and may just be bullshit).

Issues you will have to face:

Your employer will not want to issue you with a release letter before your contract finishes but this is too late for your new employer to apply for a new FEC and then a new RP. At this point you tell your new employer that you will pay for a [named local] solicitor to write a letter demanding the release letter, appropriately dated, to resolve the matter. Or, your new employer can flip a post RP tourist visa into a new FEC and RP (?!) somehow and you are dandy.

If you are staying within the same city then you can whine to the Entry/Exit PSB and they will help you too.

[edit]

Obviously in addition to the above mentioned poo poo you'll also need a thousand dumb Photoshopped passport photographs against a red background and various sundry signed contracts and passport facing pages and what not.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 19, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If your employer doesn't like you it may be impossible to switch. If they file a report saying you broke contract, it can make you unhireable.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So what is Hong Kong's airport like if you have a 2hr 45 connection... it is not quite long enough to leave the airport and do something in the city, is it?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

BadAstronaut posted:

So what is Hong Kong's airport like if you have a 2hr 45 connection... it is not quite long enough to leave the airport and do something in the city, is it?

No. Its a giant mall.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

It's absolutely doable, depending on a few factors. Mostly inbound customs and your outbound gate location.

If you can clear customs without lining up then it's definitely doable. Last night I went from airport gate to city train car in 4 minutes.

We can meet in kowloon station, have oysters , a beer and enjoy the view. Then send you off. For a safer bet meet in tsingyi stop, it's only one 18 minute ride from the airport and near where I work.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK. This is way down the line in September though.

I'll be in Hong Kong for the weekend of 15/16 March unless work obligations change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Sogol posted:

No. Its a giant mall.

I can't tell if you mean the airport or the city but it applies to both.