Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be fair so was the original. I mean, the girls didn't have constantly upgraded sparkly accessories for the deep artistic symbolism behind moon makeup transformation.

Maybe not but at least the first time around had a cartoon to go with the Merch rather than a two year long string-along exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celes
Feb 23, 2008

None have ever truly known the woman beneath the general's guise...

The Devil Tesla posted:

A year delay is pretty bad, but as disappointments go it's pretty tame. Take Kizumonogatari, the prequel book to the Monogatari series that explains the origins of the main characters. It had an adaptation announced back in 2010, and despite not being finished the series kept going and was even more confusing as a result. Or like how Gravity Falls episodes don't come out every week despite the fact that they're all finished. Or holy poo poo the delays in the A Song of Ice and Fire books (the basis of Game of Thrones). The main plot lines of the third book weren't picked up on until over a decade later in the fifth.

So yea, I can wait an extra year for Sailor Moon.

Oh God, the SOIAF books ...

I'm not even motivated to finish reading them right now because of the fact that I doubt the series is ever going to be finished. :(

And yeah, I can wait until July for SM, that's not an issue or anything .. it's just that I hope July is it, and it doesn't get delayed until 2015.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

This is actually Toei's first announcement related to Sailor Moon since 2009ish; they were never involved with prior announcements of the new anime. Since they've finally come out with it (and it has staff), I think this one is for real.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea most announcements after 'we're doing this thing' have been through others, so I have no reason to think this timeframe won't be it.

Now I eagerly await my post in four months when I lament them pushing it back till 2015 because someone got drunk and burned the files or something.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"I've been sent from the future to stop Sailor Moon anime!" Runs around studio breaking the animator's pencils.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

"I've been sent from the future to stop Sailor Moon anime!" Runs around studio breaking the animator's pencils.

Please, didn't episode 21 of the original series teach you anything?

legendaryorange
Nov 22, 2013

aers posted:

Please, didn't episode 21 of the original series teach you anything?

That pencils are goddamn magical is what. Especially special pencils that give you super-artistic powers.

... wait was that not the message we were supposed to get out of that one because that's what I took away from it.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

legendaryorange posted:

That pencils are goddamn magical is what. Especially special pencils that give you super-artistic powers.

... wait was that not the message we were supposed to get out of that one because that's what I took away from it.

No you got it right. Remember, even if your magical pencil ends up summoning a demon, a team of magical heroines will kill it anyway, so there's no problem. Make the most of your magic pencils while you still have them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You forgot the " Sailor Moon says..."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

You forgot the " Sailor Moon says..."

And the awkward laugh at the end.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://sailormoon.tributealbum.jp

Tribute album site updated with video previews of all the songs.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

aers posted:

I tried listening to some of my favorites and frankly I didn't like any of these... The new vocals just don't feel right :shobon:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ugh, La Solider sounds like they recorded a bunch of Auto-tune in a blender.

Sailor Star Song sounds pretty good, though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Ugh, La Solider sounds like they recorded a bunch of Auto-tune in a blender.

Sailor Star Song sounds pretty good, though.

Sailor Star Song is the track I like the most, which isn't surprising since Mitsuko Horie has long proved she can sing.

Agree that a lot of them sound kind of bad. Not that shocked though.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah La Soldier is ...ick. None of the nice heavy beat or anything, the melody seems to much less interesting without it somehow. Aw man. But the Stars OP sounds pretty okay! I like the strings in the accompaniment, too.
I would have loved to see some of the musical songs; for every utterly boring one there's usually a La Soldier or equivalent. FIRE kicks rear end, Ginga no Sanctuary used to put me to tears and everything the musical!Starlights did was better than their anime songs.
There was a song from one of the video games; I think it's called Koisuru Otome ga Makenai? That was really fun, too.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

junopsis posted:

Yeah La Soldier is ...ick. None of the nice heavy beat or anything, the melody seems to much less interesting without it somehow. Aw man. But the Stars OP sounds pretty okay! I like the strings in the accompaniment, too.
I would have loved to see some of the musical songs; for every utterly boring one there's usually a La Soldier or equivalent. FIRE kicks rear end, Ginga no Sanctuary used to put me to tears and everything the musical!Starlights did was better than their anime songs.
There was a song from one of the video games; I think it's called Koisuru Otome ga Makenai? That was really fun, too.

While they originally implied there would be musical tracks on the album, all these tracks are from the anime so... (even La Soldier, known as the musical theme song, is the insert song for the final battle in R).

Disappointing.

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
Otome no Policy was probably the worst of the lot, but man oh man. For all the hype around Momoiro Clover Z, I was actually hoping to hear some actual singing talent, so it's really disappointing to hear this was the best they could do for a sample track.

At least we have Mitsuko Horie.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

aers posted:

I really like the Heart Moving cover. Still glad I own the Memorial Song Box, though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I have vague memories of watching Sailor Moon once or twice back when it ran on Cartoon Network.

Where you can watch the series nowadays? All of the collections on Amazon are out-of-print and really expensive.

Also, is there a guide or recommendation on which seasons or dub to watch? I understand that the English dub cut and altered stuff (I don't know to what extent, though), but I still kind of want to watch it after seeing how goofy it is.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

I have vague memories of watching Sailor Moon once or twice back when it ran on Cartoon Network.

Where you can watch the series nowadays? All of the collections on Amazon are out-of-print and really expensive.

Also, is there a guide or recommendation on which seasons or dub to watch? I understand that the English dub cut and altered stuff (I don't know to what extent, though), but I still kind of want to watch it after seeing how goofy it is.

It's torrents or nothing for the show as far as I know, I don't know if the dub/edit is available anywhere.
http://bakabt.me/browse.php?only=0&incomplete=1&lossless=1&hd=1&multiaudio=1&bonus=1&c1=1&reorder=1&q=sailor+moon

Waaaaay earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a Sailor Moon Essentials list that seemed like a decent guide:

Famine Poodle posted:

For all you guys wanting to watch the original series without all the filler, check out Sailor Moon Essentials.

http://animania.eclectic-world.com/post.cfm/sailor-moon-essential-episodes

I rewatched the series a while ago using this, and it doesn't feel like anything is missing at all.

EDIT:siren: That site is dead! This looks like the same or a similar list however:
http://sailormoonfans.livejournal.com/2994139.html

If you like reading manga, that version does have a spiffy new English edition that should be easy to get your hands on.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The anime is not currently in print with either the English dub or English subs. You can find rips of both the R1 DVDs (S1-4 dub) and R2J DVDs around torrent sites, though.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

a kitten posted:

EDIT:siren: That site is dead!

Not while archive.org exists, it isn't.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

aers posted:

The anime is not currently in print with either the English dub or English subs. You can find rips of both the R1 DVDs (S1-4 dub) and R2J DVDs around torrent sites, though.

Basically this, the R2 DVD rips that have subtitles are probably a better choice than the R1 DVD rips. At least the ones of season 1 and R, which put the previews for the next episodes at the beginning of the episode they're supposed to be teasing. (So, the teaser that should be at the end of episode 1 for episode 2 is after the opening on episode 2.), and are missing an episode in Sailor Moon R where they save some dinosaurs or something.

Also the video quality isn't great.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

a kitten posted:

It's torrents or nothing for the show as far as I know, I don't know if the dub/edit is available anywhere.
http://bakabt.me/browse.php?only=0&incomplete=1&lossless=1&hd=1&multiaudio=1&bonus=1&c1=1&reorder=1&q=sailor+moon
Whenever I try to search for something, or select a search tag, the site tells me I need register to use advanced browsing. Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the site?

Also, doesn't this constitute as :filez:?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 18, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Probably. There's Japanese (Maybe OOP, don't quite know), French, German and Italian DVD releases of the series but a) they're not in English and ether b) Released by Kazé (Viz Europe) who's overall track record with releasing stuff on home video can be charitably descried as "Crap" or c) Released in Japan and thus levy to a whole bunch of pricing bullshit that can be charitably described as "Thatcheresque"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Probably. There's Japanese (Maybe OOP, don't quite know), French, German and Italian DVD releases of the series but a) they're not in English and ether b) Released by Kazé (Viz Europe) who's overall track record with releasing stuff on home video can be charitably descried as "Crap" or c) Released in Japan and thus levy to a whole bunch of pricing bullshit that can be charitably described as "Thatcheresque"

From my experience of just looking at prices of Japanese DVD/BD releases I find it a loving miracle that anime is still around. Seriously, the first season of Sailor Moon was in a 9 part set, with individual volumes looking to run around 4,000 yen ($40, for six episodes) and looking at Amazon JP they eventually put it into two sets, one with five parts and the other with four.

The four-part one is running "new" (It may be OOP, can't really tell.) runs at 38,800 yen (Approx. $388 US.) That's for 22 episodes.

Of course, looking at the price in the product description makes this obvious that its a price-gouge because its OOP, as that says 12,000 yen. Still a hefty sum for only half of a season . I'd be scared to know what they would be willing to charge for Blu-Ray even if they would just be upscales.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

The new Italian releases are by Dynit and the best home video release of Sailor Moon ever in terms of video quality.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

From my experience of just looking at prices of Japanese DVD/BD releases I find it a loving miracle that anime is still around. Seriously, the first season of Sailor Moon was in a 9 part set, with individual volumes looking to run around 4,000 yen ($40, for six episodes) and looking at Amazon JP they eventually put it into two sets, one with five parts and the other with four.

The four-part one is running "new" (It may be OOP, can't really tell.) runs at 38,800 yen (Approx. $388 US.) That's for 22 episodes.

Of course, looking at the price in the product description makes this obvious that its a price-gouge because its OOP, as that says 12,000 yen. Still a hefty sum for only half of a season . I'd be scared to know what they would be willing to charge for Blu-Ray even if they would just be upscales.

Yeah those box sets were a 20th anniversary special release; they're the exact same physical DVDs as the 2002 R2J release, and they were made to go out of print fast. You can still get the individual DVDs for the 3-4k yen price since they're still in print but the box sets are going to be gouged to hell except for the newest one. The R2Js aren't really worth buying unless you're a die-hard fan.

There aren't really any good DVD rips of the show around either; the only group that's done the entire series off remastered video decided it would be a fantastic idea to put it through as many filters as possible and completely butchered the video.

aers fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 18, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Whenever I try to search for something, or select a search tag, the site tells me I need register to use advanced browsing. Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the site?

Also, doesn't this constitute as :filez:?

Whoops I forgot about bakabt's member only search thing, all they want is to keep track of your upload/download ratio, nothing weird happened as a result of signing up (that I'm aware of :tinfoil:)

But, if you still don't feel like it--I think direct links work, so here's the first season's page:
Season 1

As for the filez, I would have linked you to a site where you could stream or buy it if there was one. I'd love it if it would at least get picked up and streamed by someone.

The ADTRW rules posted:

THE RULES

• No torrents or direct links to material you can either purchase in the US or see on US TV.
    This means that it's ok to have links to anime and manga that is out in Japan right now, but remove your links and don't post new ones once you can get the title in the US. You will be banned if you post links to stuff available in the US. If there is a special case where, for instance, you have an ancient VHS copy of a show that will never again see the light of day, ask a mod first. Please note that this does include online streaming of shows!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'd love it if it would at least get picked up and streamed by someone.

Funimation has been trying to license it for years now but keep getting blocked by something. Its odd, since it was re-licensed in 10+ other countries, so there's obviously something else going on behind the scenes. I've heard rumors that Naoko is blocking English licenses but that doesn't make very much sense since we got the manga.

Unrelated news - there's no pictures yet, but a store site leaked whats on the covers of vol 5/6 of the new manga re-release. 5 is Venus as expected, but 6 is Uranus & Neptune, which is pretty cool and sort of unexpected since the other covers have all had a single character.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

aers posted:

There aren't really any good DVD rips of the show around either; the only group that's done the entire series off remastered video decided it would be a fantastic idea to put it through as many filters as possible and completely butchered the video.

The SMC ones, correct? Yeah, I saw how many extraneous subtitles they crammed into the OP and its just ugly because of it.

I also found that the R1 DVD rip they did of the S season left the English Dub Intact. Holy poo poo were those voices bad, Usagi sounds like what I expected Luna to sound like, and Makoto sounds like Ash Ketchum with a cold.

I really hope Funimation eventually gets the rights and does a full-on redub, they did get the Simulcast rights, didn't they? The only other companies around are Sentai and Aniplex and Sentai would probably just be Sub-only with no Blu-Ray (Not that Sailor Moon particularly needs it) and Aniplex would just gouge the hell out of the customers just because they can and people would still eat it up. :(

aers
Feb 15, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The SMC ones, correct? Yeah, I saw how many extraneous subtitles they crammed into the OP and its just ugly because of it.

Oh, its not just their subtitles.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/45924
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58166
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/44175

Sailor Moon has really great backgrounds and good colors and pretty consistent art within an episode, but SMC is somehow convinced that the DVD colors are all wrong and need to be fixed and that they need to sharpen it to nuke all the grain (and detail). The results are... special.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

aers posted:

Funimation has been trying to license it for years now but keep getting blocked by something. Its odd, since it was re-licensed in 10+ other countries, so there's obviously something else going on behind the scenes. I've heard rumors that Naoko is blocking English licenses but that doesn't make very much sense since we got the manga.
There's other likely situations such as disagreement over the cost of the license, but the most likely problem is the original dub that was edited for TV. The dub rights may not belong to the Japanese side and would have to get materials from other companies like ADV (who they're suing now) and Pioneer (who no longer exist). Otherwise they'll have to re-sub/re-dub everything. Like Dragon Ball Z, most of the nostalgia in NA relates to the original dub, so not including that would highly alienate viewers. It's likely a complex process in seeing who has materials and trying to get them.

(Granted, I fear most that they'll pull a DBZ, where they crop it to 16:9 and alter the colors to lose any and all grain/original contrast in the appeal of making it "mainstream friendly" with a limited (maybe 1k) run of unaltered releases.)

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I really hope Funimation eventually gets the rights and does a full-on redub, they did get the Simulcast rights, didn't they? The only other companies around are Sentai and Aniplex and Sentai would probably just be Sub-only with no Blu-Ray (Not that Sailor Moon particularly needs it) and Aniplex would just gouge the hell out of the customers just because they can and people would still eat it up. :(
In addition to the above issues, Sentai acquires licenses for cheap. Very cheap. They wouldn't pay the price for SM regardless of how many units it'd sell. Aniplex releases titles their parent company releases in Japan, ie not Sailor Moon. You're forgetting Viz, who've risen from the dead and who are releasing Ranma 1/2 on BD using the new masters. It looks fantastic.

No one has NA rights to the new series; it'll be simulcast worldwide on niconico.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

ultimatemegax posted:

You're forgetting Viz, who've risen from the dead and who are releasing Ranma 1/2 on BD using the new masters. It looks fantastic.

I didn't forget about Viz, I just didn't bother to mention them since the most I see out of them is just Bleach and Naruto, I honestly didn't think they had any anime besides that.

ultimatemegax posted:

There's other likely situations such as disagreement over the cost of the license, but the most likely problem is the original dub that was edited for TV. The dub rights may not belong to the Japanese side and would have to get materials from other companies like ADV (who they're suing now) and Pioneer (who no longer exist). Otherwise they'll have to re-sub/re-dub everything. Like Dragon Ball Z, most of the nostalgia in NA relates to the original dub, so not including that would highly alienate viewers.

The problem I find here is that if they wanted to include the original dub they would either have to make a separate SKU for that release (Sort of like what Funi did with the Rock the Dragon DBZ set, so its not out of the realm of possibility.) or include the original English dub edited episodes in the main release which would only drive the price of the sets up due to having more discs.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 19, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Covers for vol5/6 of the new manga release.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The live action thing was interesting if you could overlook the cheese because it took the J-drama approach of farming everything for drama, and you sort of forget in the other versions the girls backstories are all kinds of socially hosed up (it's not a deconstruction, but its pretty jarring what you took for granted as a kid). Its also apparently had a small pool of writers and its the only TV thing that didn't have to play catch up with the comic, so the pacing and flow is a lot more consistent.

Shyrka posted:

I didn't like Haruka and Michiru much either. They just seemed like posers swanning about with their superpowers and trying to impress the girls who'd actually saved the planet twice by the time they bothered showing up. And everything they did turned to fail. But on the other hand S had an awesome set of villains, and was the most tightly paced season with very little filler, so it's still my favourite.

Yeah I was never huge on them save a representation bonus and p much the only vaguely well done relationship build-up in the series (which powers their cred). Designwise though, they were pretty much the indulgent self-insert fantasy character for preteens (rich, lovely, hyperarrogant, perfect at everything, yet angsty and 'mature' without actually being older) thats seems more popular in Japan than here, compared to how the other girls were somewhat grounded and relatable. The show was a LOT less subtle about pushing that than any other version, and their version of the plot is kind of hamfisted compared to the comic. Speaking of, as someone who disliked that season (besides the villians) the comic version of the Outers are *way* more tolerable. Less Conflict Ball superhero-vs-superhero bullshit, they have a legit beef without all the pomposity, and they lack that weird distrust/dislike/condescending tone, etc. They haven't been in many adaptations, but apparently everything else heavily leans to that version instead of the one-off tv version.

OTOH Generally speaking if the show made a ridiculous/funnier version of a character, that's usually the one everyone remembers. Anime Tuxedo Mask is pretty much a product of none of the writers giving much of a poo poo after his big arc and just having his actor run with it, for example, so it's kind of jarring to see his original personality in other stuff taken so seriously. Then again a ton of people who'll be watching the reboot will have grown up on the rereleased manga, the new musical, or possibly PGSM rather than the show, so who knows. Every version has changed a shitload of the original story anyway, though it'll be interesting to see if any of the recent character retools like Makoto's still stick (it was weird as hell to see her embracing the tomboy thing instead of having an aversion to it).

Cityinthesea posted:

S is the best, by far (the outer senshi are the best :colbert:). I never watched SuperS because of Chibi-usa, is it as bad as R?

SuperS overall premise and design is kind of poo poo (its a big deviation from the comic for no apparent reason) and Chibiusa never interested me as a character, but I'd say she's more blamed by heavy association with it than anything.

keet fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 24, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I recently finished Stars, having only watched a few loose episodes of the first Season and R as a teen, so I was mostly unspoiled and unsure what to expect from S onwards. I'm going to post some :words: about it because I must tell the internet what I think and because I like when other people share their thoughts too.

I'm going to assume spoilers are kosher, but just in case there's still other people catching up with Sailor Moon, well I'm going to post spoilers. :v:

Stars was a really fun season! At first the Sailor Lights felt like a rehash of Haruka and Michiru, but they had very good chemistry with the Inners themselves so it was fun. That sitcom-esque episode with everyone hanging out at Usagi's was good stuff. I have no idea what to make of them in terms of audience representation though. They're women taking the names and roles of men, being generally manly to the point of liking other women, but their powers come from their biological sex to the point that one of them has a technique named Star Gentle Uterus. :psyduck:

I really liked how the Sailors threw every classic action manga twist they had at Galaxia, and it was never enough, then some more Sailors would go down against her. It did a really good job of making her seem legitimately threatening after four seasons and three movies of saving the world through eleventh-hour powerups.

It was nice to have Minako having her own shtick beyond being 'Usagi but ditzier', and the same goes for Ami having interests other than studying. Makoto and (specially) Rei kind of fell by the wayside but they had the most three dimensional personalities after Usagi already, so it wasn't so bad.

The first five episodes were some pretty good filler too. I wish Super S had been more like those five Episodes rather than about Chibi Usa falling in love with a horse and the molestation adventures of the PUA villain squad. You'd think an evil nightmare circus chasing a pegasus who lives in the dreams of people would make interesting antagonists if only for the pure ingenuity of it, but here we are.

Now on to the manga!

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

penguinmambo posted:

The live action thing was interesting if you could overlook the cheese because it took the J-drama approach of farming everything for drama, and you sort of forget in the other versions the girls backstories are all kinds of socially hosed up (it's not a deconstruction, but its pretty jarring what you took for granted as a kid). Its also apparently had a small pool of writers and its the only TV thing that didn't have to play catch up with the comic, so the pacing and flow is a lot more consistent.

As far as changes from the original go, I thought it was interesting in the end that basically, Queen Beryl was right about a hell of a lot of things, and the Moon Princess/the Ginzuishou are extremely dangerous and world-threatening together and need to be stopped, to the point that Usagi's Princess Sailor Moon transformation is one of the show's final Big Bads, going crazy over the idea of losing Endymion and blowing poo poo up with her sword. Clearly, at least half of the character's existence is just so Naoko can design a new outfit and staple pearls and lace to everything because she's the best kind of crazy, but it's a wild departure that actually manages to make a kind of sense in terms of the original, and is probably one of the best "serious" changes made for the live action series.

(Worst being Minako's Actual Idol Singer character with her mysterious and kinda nonsensical but totally serious and super-dramatic illness.)

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

TK-31 posted:

The first five episodes were some pretty good filler too. I wish Super S had been more like those five Episodes rather than about Chibi Usa falling in love with a horse and the molestation adventures of the PUA villain squad. You'd think an evil nightmare circus chasing a pegasus who lives in the dreams of people would make interesting antagonists if only for the pure ingenuity of it, but here we are.

Now on to the manga!

You're going to like the equivalent manga arc. (I'd consider it the best arc.)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The best change is Dark Mercury, "ice" sword and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The best change is Dark Mercury, "ice" sword and all.

That was my favorite part of the live action. The new costume design was also a nice touch.

• Locked thread