Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dany being a dumbass (Season/Book 2) and Jon being an idiot (pick a chapter/episode).

The only reason Cercei's not up there is that (like the books) she's hardly been present since Ned's execution (minus the Blackwater episode) until Joffrey dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

computer parts posted:

Dany being a dumbass (Season/Book 2) and Jon being an idiot (pick a chapter/episode).

The only reason Cercei's not up there is that (like the books) she's hardly been present since Ned's execution (minus the Blackwater episode) until Joffrey dies.

I wouldn't say either have been dumb or idiotic so far, apart from Jon losing the Halfhand when trying to execute Ygritte. They were MUCH worse in ADwD.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AStrangeDuelist posted:

I wouldn't say either have been dumb or idiotic so far, apart from Jon losing the Halfhand when trying to execute Ygritte. They were MUCH worse in ADwD.

Dany literally spent the last half of Season 2 in quick cameos yelling "MY DRAGOOOONS! :byodame:" until she went to the House of the Undying.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

computer parts posted:

Dany literally spent the last half of Season 2 in quick cameos yelling "MY DRAGOOOONS! :byodame:" until she went to the House of the Undying.

It's not like her ACoK chapters were much better, though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Toplowtech posted:

The books have been translated in French, Italian, Polish Dutch, German and Spanish since the end of the 90s and in Japanese and Korean since 2001-2002. Check the Japanese covers.

These covers are seriously awesome. They make me want to play a Game of Thrones jRPG.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Marijuana posted:

It's not like her ACoK chapters were much better, though.

They were. Anything is better than the dragon theft, especially when Dany's ACOK chapters include The House of the Undying and the arrival of Arstan and Strong Belwas.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Which two?

I don't. The problems that the later books have are intrinsic to their structure; a structure which the tv show is clinging to closely for the most part.

How do you know that? Most of the problems with reading them came from the choice to split them geographically rather than chronologically, which will obviously be going, and with poo poo moving too slowly, which the TV show can fix. Also, just because they've clung closely to the structure of the more narratively successful books doesn't mean they'll do the same with the ones that had issues, "they made good books into good TV so they'll make bad books into bad TV" is not a logical progression.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

They were. Anything is better than the dragon theft, especially when Dany's ACOK chapters include The House of the Undying and the arrival of Arstan and Strong Belwas.

I was mostly being sarcastic and I was excluding the House of the Undying chapter and I should have mentioned it. That is definitely one of the spookiest chapters in the entire series. I forgot about the market scene with Belwas, Arstan, and the Sorrowful Man. But other than those two chapters, I remember her time in Qarth being really boring.

With that said, the tv adaptation with the dragon theft and Daxos making himself the King of Qarth was loving awful.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Imagine if the Iron Throne was made of dicks :allears:

Maybe :thejoke: but you do realise that Jaime makes this exact quip about Renly in the show, right?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Marijuana posted:

I remember her time in Qarth being really boring.

That's because there was no tension in her chapters. There's literally nothing driving her events there other than Xaro constantly proposing marriage to her and the warlocks imploring her to go to the House of the Undying. And I guess Quaithe? Quaithe didn't really give her prophecy to Dany in the show has she?

I'm probably more inclined to prefer the season 2 storyline, granted, I saw the show's events before reading the books, but at least there's something driving the action. I wonder if they'll bring Ducksauce back in the show though...it could be a really cheesy HE'S RETURNED FROM THE DEAD soap opera moment that I would kind of love.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dany doesn't have that many chapters in ACOK, so although what is there is somewhat lacking in suspense and intrigue it's not as annoying as what we had in the show where for obvious reasons they have to focus on Dany and have her do something heroic in time for the season finale. The previous season felt somewhat similar with Dany's story after the sacking of astapor, particularly with the finale. I think that the next season might be similar in that regard.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Mike N Eich posted:

I wonder if they'll bring Ducksauce back in the show though...it could be a really cheesy HE'S RETURNED FROM THE DEAD soap opera moment that I would kind of love.

He wasn't killed in the show though, just locked behind a door, with a smoking hot hooker to keep him company until somebody comes along and breaks the wall.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Midnight City posted:

He wasn't killed in the show though, just locked behind a door, with a smoking hot hooker to keep him company until somebody comes along and breaks the wall.

Nothing can break Valyrian Stone :chord:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I don't know if this has been posted in here but Jack Gleason recently had another speaking engagement where he discusses his overall view of how his life has been affected by the show. The more I hear him talk the more I believe we'll never see him in acting again after the purple wedding.

http://youtu.be/uKboLTwzFTs

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Mike N Eich posted:

I wonder if they'll bring Ducksauce back in the show though...it could be a really cheesy HE'S RETURNED FROM THE DEAD soap opera moment that I would kind of love.

Or, because he was lying about virtually everything else, he also lied about the impenetrable vault and just waited a while before opening the door from the inside.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, after several incidents of people finding themselves locked into impenetrable safes, Qartheen regulations state that all immense vaults must have an emergency release handle on the inside, as well as a small emergency light to illuminate it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Dany's plot in CoK was "Dany finds a city that's nice to her and hangs out in the lap of luxury for a while until she decides to visit a warlock house because that might be fun. Turns out it isn't fun, so she burns it down and leaves the city."

I get that she wasn't great in Season 2 but they had nothing to work with whatsoever.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

AStrangeDuelist posted:

Looking forward to season 4, but after I'm done with this series. Really hated the direction George took after the 3rd book, and frankly not looking forward to Dumbass!Dany, Slutty!Cersei and Dipshit!Jon.

Cersei was "slutty" in every book since two. The only change in her sexual lifestyle after her son died was she tried having sex with a woman to see what it was like, otherwise we had Tyrion's chapters constantly informing us of the various men she was using as surrogates for Jaime. And Daenerys and Jon's stories in 5 were pretty much logical extensions of their characters in the first 3: Daenerys has consistently been fawning over and pining for her dead rapist brute of a husband so her falling for a shithead like Daario isn't farfetched, and Jon's entire arc has really been about loyalty. Unless you're referring to something else, I don't really see what you mean.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DeepQantas posted:

Brienne and Pod visit a monastery and the head monk dude is like "Yea, Hound is dead, buried him myself" but then there's this mute new guy that gets along well with dogs or sth.

e: Here we go: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Gravedigger/Theories
The Hound is dead. Sandor Clegane is alive.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

JT Jag posted:

The Hound is dead. Sandor Clegane is alive.

So who killed all those people in Saltpan?

Oh right he's dead as well, well, Lem is the hound now. You can't kill an idea, man.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Oh right he's dead as well, well, Lem is the hound now. You can't kill an idea, man.
Yes, Saltpan's massacre was Rorge's work and now Lem is the new hound.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Sandor is probably the best character in the books to me just because of how consistent he is. Maybe it's due to no POV chapters for him but he really doesn't make any decisions that aren't understandable.

I'm hoping the show doesn't do what the books do and he doesn't just disappears on the show after Arya leaves him or it's going to suck.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Marijuana posted:

Nothing can break Valyrian Stone :chord:

Oh the Valyrians are the best at everything :circlefap:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Midnight City posted:

Sandor is probably the best character in the books to me just because of how consistent he is. Maybe it's due to no POV chapters for him but he really doesn't make any decisions that aren't understandable.

I'm hoping the show doesn't do what the books do and he doesn't just disappears on the show after Arya leaves him or it's going to suck.

Yeah, he's quite the character in the books, and Rory McCann does a pretty solid job, which only makes it that much more enthralling.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, he's quite the character in the books, and Rory McCann does a pretty solid job, which only makes it that much more enthralling.

The only problem is that his teeth drive me nuts. I can't watch that scene where he meets Beric Dondarion without staring at his teeth the entire time. Get some loving floss bro, what the hell :psyduck:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

ShaqDiesel posted:

Except for not going extinct.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In It For The Tank's OP posted:

Joseph Gatt as Thenn Raider
Apparently he's just some Thenn Raider.

Huh? Where did this disappointing bit of information come from?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
We know he's not Styr, but we know he's involved in the Battle at the Wall in some fashion. Based on this photo, it looks like there is notably bald contingent of raiders, probably Thenns. You also can see Gatt hanging out with the rest of the cast from the Battle of the Wall here.

Also, while I was snooping through Winter is Coming's tumblr looking for those picture, I learned that today's the SAG awards, and then found my favorite picture:

Why is Isaac slowly becoming Kit Harrington from 2009?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 19, 2014

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Because younger brothers emulate their siblings?

Alternatively, he needs glasses?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I believe you will find Kit Harrington actually used to look like JJ Abrams.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

We know he's not Styr, but we know he's involved in the Battle at the Wall in some fashion. Based on this photo, it looks like there is notably bald contingent of raiders, probably Thenns. You also can see Gatt hanging out with the rest of the cast from the Battle of the Wall here.

Also, while I was snooping through Winter is Coming's tumblr looking for those picture, I learned that today's the SAG awards, and then found my favorite picture:

Why is Isaac slowly becoming Kit Harrington from 2009?

Oh my God Theon has that shiteating grin even as a child

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mike N Eich posted:

Oh my God Theon has that shiteating grin even as a child

This is 2009? Did he age 10 years in only one?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ShaqDiesel posted:

Maybe the reason Melisandre overlooked Daenerys is that out east by Asshai none of the Valyrian stuff is particularly special or impressive, and to her the Targaryens are just another group of savage western warlords.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Some more footage from the upcoming season got posted in a little featurette. A bit of Tyrion's trial and the raid on the Wall with some other miscellaneous stuff mixed in.

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?autoplay=true&vid=1362499

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Maybe the reason Melisandre overlooked Daenerys is that out east by Asshai none of the Valyrian stuff is particularly special or impressive, and to her the Targaryens are just another group of savage western warlords.

Is Rhollorism an export from Asshai?

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

I don't know if this has been posted in here but Jack Gleason recently had another speaking engagement where he discusses his overall view of how his life has been affected by the show. The more I hear him talk the more I believe we'll never see him in acting again after the purple wedding.

http://youtu.be/uKboLTwzFTs

This is really nice. I think he's flat-out stated that he wants to get into academia (and possibly clergy??) but I would love to see him do some writing in another 10-15 years.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

colonel_korn posted:

Some more footage from the upcoming season got posted in a little featurette. A bit of Tyrion's trial and the raid on the Wall with some other miscellaneous stuff mixed in.

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?autoplay=true&vid=1362499

Things noticed: Brienne in full plate, apparently in some sort of fight? Also, likely the scene where Jaime gives her Oathkeeper (she's examining a sword and he's there, though I almost didn't recognize him)

Bald dude with strange ridges in his head: Magnar of Thenn?

Got giddy seeing Oberyn - Tywin - Mace seated for the trial. Also a shot of Oberyn with his leg up at a council meeting or something, they're really doing a lot with his body language already.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You know how we occasionally joked that all the parents naming their daughters Dany or Arya would eventually be embarrassed by their namesakes becoming Fantasy Hitler and Fantasy Jack the Ripper?

Yeah, well, it could be worse. Some poor girl was apparently baptised Cersei :ughh:

fake edit: also ctrl-F "beijing" on that page for a bonus round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CapnAndy posted:

Dany's plot in CoK was "Dany finds a city that's nice to her and hangs out in the lap of luxury for a while until she decides to visit a warlock house because that might be fun. Turns out it isn't fun, so she burns it down and leaves the city."

I get that she wasn't great in Season 2 but they had nothing to work with whatsoever.

And at least the shows gives her a reason to go into that goddam house. It never made much sense in the books.

"Here is this spooky house of those strange guys who had been insisting that I should go there I dont know why! People say they are dangeours and that whoever goes there never comes back, but it surely sounds fun and perhaps they can give me some clues! Oh, I have to go alone? Sure, no problem! Oh, and I have to take this drug first? Hell yeah!"

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread