Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

The same company also built a similar model for Toyota.

The Celica Sunchaser.

There is one in my neighborhood that I see driving around when the weather is nice. I've never seen it with the top up, either.

The car isn't a museum piece, but it looks good for its age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!

edit: Guys, I really want a Targa. Badly.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How do you say "mullet" in German?

It's called "Vokuhila". Which is shortfor "vorne kurz, hinten lang" which literally means "short in the front, long in the back"
Yep, Germany sure has a knack for naming things!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

It's called "Vokuhila". Which is shortfor "vorne kurz, hinten lang" which literally means "short in the front, long in the back"
Yep, Germany sure has a knack for naming things!

The US gets "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet", Australia has "Football, meat pies, kangaroos, and Holden cars", South Africa went with "Rugby, Boerewors, Sunny skies, and Chevrolet". What would Opel's jingle be? "Handball, hedgehogs, mullets, and Manta cars"?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Trying to keep my strong Corvette bias in check here, but the interior was always the thing people whined about, even though the Vette has better performance-per-dollar than almost anything else these days. GM made a $60k, 500hp monster that would eat the lunch of exotics four times the cost and people still whined about cheap "parts bin" switches. I kind of feel like someone at GM just said "fine, gently caress it; here's a beautiful interior, find something new to complain about".

From several pages ago, but the thing that I've seen people bitching about with this one is these fasteners behind the door for one of the either looking cheep or not being hidden. The chief engineer pretty much said "they are functional to make it easy to fix and don't add stupid weight making a stupid cover"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like the look of exposed fasteners, I think it makes the car look rugged and utilitarian (said the Subaru owner :v:).

Only amoral sociopaths that are overwhelmingly concerned with image care about something as trivial as obscuring the industrial origins of a piece of industrial design. I would imagine those guys primarily buy German.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I'm pretty sure the only people who give a poo poo about the rivets being shown are the geriatric guys who drive to the local ice cream shop 3 miles away to the corvette club meet up.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

KKKLIP ART posted:

From several pages ago, but the thing that I've seen people bitching about with this one is these fasteners behind the door for one of the either looking cheep or not being hidden. The chief engineer pretty much said "they are functional to make it easy to fix and don't add stupid weight making a stupid cover"

But the most important thing....does the rear fascia move when you push in on it?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mighty Horse posted:

But the most important thing....does the rear fascia move when you push in on it?

I'd be more interested if the panels pop loose on their own after a few months ownership :v:

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Dear Das Volk, please tell us about your C6/CTS experiences

:allears:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

:stare:

That's pretty damned cool. I can see Richard Hammond drooling over this.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

madeintaipei posted:

The US gets "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet", Australia has "Football, meat pies, kangaroos, and Holden cars", South Africa went with "Rugby, Boerewors, Sunny skies, and Chevrolet". What would Opel's jingle be? "Handball, hedgehogs, mullets, and Manta cars"?

Soccer, fries with mayo and ketchup, mullets, and Manta cars (Fuball, Pommes Schranke, Vokuhila, und Mantas). We are a very cultured people.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ghost Farts posted:

Soccer, fries with mayo and ketchup, mullets, and Manta cars (Fuball, Pommes Schranke, Vokuhila, und Mantas). We are a very cultured people.

drat straight! Know any good Manta witze?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:asoiaf:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Ran into this cute little thing back in 2009 in Feyzabad. The Germans kept it for snow days.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
This just might be the greatest invention ever... lost in time... (if I'm correctly understanding what I'm seeing here)

pass the f*** out in the back seat, legs fully stretched out through the front passenger side seat... Wow.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hot drat, that'd also be handy as hell for carrying long cargo (even more so if the rear seats open into the trunk, though I don't think they did such things back then.)

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Fucknag posted:

Hot drat, that'd also be handy as hell for carrying long cargo (even more so if the rear seats open into the trunk, though I don't think they did such things back then.)

ohhhh you might be right that may be the reasoning behind it...

Oh well a man can dream

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I found a huge gallery of various Motorsport pictures from Germany (mostly Nurburgring and Hockenheim) and a few from Zolder in Belgium. http://www.fotocommunity.com/photographer/hartmut-schulz/photos/motorsport-alt/322401?time=1171180584&lastId=7932698 Some examples:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

drukqs posted:

ohhhh you might be right that may be the reasoning behind it...

Oh well a man can dream

The early Fit lets you collapse the front seats perfectly flat so you can sleep in your car, which is probably a popular Japanese pastime.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Farmland Park posted:

I found a huge gallery of various Motorsport pictures from Germany (mostly Nurburgring and Hockenheim) and a few from Zolder in Belgium. http://www.fotocommunity.com/photographer/hartmut-schulz/photos/motorsport-alt/322401?time=1171180584&lastId=7932698 Some examples:

:eyepop:

Holy moly. Websites don't come more proclick than this.
More samples:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Keep meaning to post this - see it parked in the same street during the day a lot.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Not sure if this qualifies as "awesome", but another one for the "never thought I'd see one again" folder.

A Ford Orion! How many of these can still exist? This one was barely existing, you could see holes in all the flanks and the owners looked to be in about the same sort of condition.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

echoplex posted:

Not sure if this qualifies as "awesome", but another one for the "never thought I'd see one again" folder.

A Ford Orion! How many of these can still exist? This one was barely existing, you could see holes in all the flanks and the owners looked to be in about the same sort of condition.

Not many by the looks of it, though I have no clue what trim level that once was.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:monocle:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I wonder if they had any idea that their car is so hilariously rare by virtue of it not being completely dead yet.

e:

On a slightly less grim note, this ancient 205 Rallye is owned by an old lady and I see it very regularly in 4 places in town - on her drive, outside the local library, outside the local Tesco, and in our local garage about once a month without fail. Well looked after and loved, probably due to sentimental value. The fact that the graphics are in such good nick makes me grin.

e: wait, if this is right, I was driving the last registered GTX...

echoplex fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 19, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Punch in Maserati Biturbo for additional hilarity.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

This site cannot be correct, as there is no way I own 3% of the remaining UK stock of Saab 99 Turbo's!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

GOD IS BED posted:

:eyepop:

Holy moly. Websites don't come more proclick than this.
More samples:

Oh wow! What formula is this?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meltie posted:

Oh wow! What formula is this?

Looks like a Kent-engined Formula Ford.

Edit:

According to the caption, he wanted to annoy his wife. :laugh:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 19, 2014

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Slavvy posted:

Punch in Maserati Biturbo for additional hilarity.
My neighbor has two that appear to be flawless. I've never seen them move under their own power.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Looks like a Kent-engined Formula Ford.

Edit:

According to the caption, he wanted to divorce his wife. :laugh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:j: Right that's it, I'm leaving you.

:colbert: How?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Awesome that they filmed that in front of the art museum in Milwaukee. 'SCONNIE PRIDE!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

:j: Right that's it, I'm leaving you.

:colbert: How?

She gets the house. He gets the car. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

AirRaid posted:

Keep meaning to post this - see it parked in the same street during the day a lot.

That reminds me of the Hummer H1 with the wrought iron frame and accents I've seen in San Francisco several times when I've been down there. Each time I haven't been able to get a camera out in time :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is that Graham Hill?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I can't work out whether that thing would cause or aggressively cure piles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

echoplex posted:

I can't work out whether that thing would cause or aggressively cure piles.

I imagine it's like beer: the cause and solution.