Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie Luckman posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already but i couldn't find anything in this thread.

Is there any way to tether with an unlimited plan w/o paying the extra :10bux::10bux: every month?

I've been using FoxFi with no problem for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Ernie Luckman posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already but i couldn't find anything in this thread.

Is there any way to tether with an unlimited plan w/o paying the extra :10bux::10bux: every month?

If you have an iPhone, you'll need to jailbreak and use something like TetherMe.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've been using FoxFi with no problem for years.

On what device?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

bam thwok posted:

On what device?

Droid Bionic; should've mentioned that FoxFi isn't cross-platform.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I'm travelling to Japan for 10 days and have a few questions. I plan on using Groove IP with Google Voice for wifi calling while in my hotel, is it necessary to have my phone in airplane mode to avoid any kind of charges? I assume since I'm not on the international data plan then data just wouldn't work anyway, is this correct?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

z06ck posted:

I'm travelling to Japan for 10 days and have a few questions. I plan on using Groove IP with Google Voice for wifi calling while in my hotel, is it necessary to have my phone in airplane mode to avoid any kind of charges? I assume since I'm not on the international data plan then data just wouldn't work anyway, is this correct?

Any data you use WILL be charged if you get on a mobile network. Having the global data plan doesn't enable it, it just makes it cheaper. Make sure your phone is on airplane mode the whole time.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Thank you :hfive:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I know when I had AT&T, if you let your phone register even once in a foreign carrier's network, you were charged international roaming minutes if someone called you and left a voicemail, even if your phone was off or in airplane mode. And you would be charged for any voicemail that came in, up until your phone got back into an AT&T network. The issue was that there's a conditional call forward that leads to the call being routed to voicemail, and that would be charged at international roaming rates if you were roaming when the call was forwarded.

I got burned on this when traveling to Canada every week for work. I had a prepaid Fido SIM I was using north of the border, but occasionally I'd forget to swap and power up my phone with the AT&T SIM in it while in Canada. I'd get my bill and find that I was charged like 79 cents a minute for people leaving me voicemails.

The only way to avoid this was to put the phone in airplane mode or remove the SIM before leaving the United States and keep it that way until you're back on US soil.

Is this the same way with Verizon?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 19, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

I know when I had AT&T, if you let your phone register even once in a foreign carrier's network, you were charged international roaming minutes if someone called you and left a voicemail, even if your phone was off or in airplane mode. And you would be charged for any voicemail that came in, up until your phone got back into an AT&T network. The issue was that there's a conditional call forward that leads to the call being routed to voicemail, and that would be charged at international roaming rates if you were roaming when the call was forwarded.

I got burned on this when traveling to Canada every week for work. I had a prepaid Fido SIM I was using north of the border, but occasionally I'd forget to swap and power up my phone with the AT&T SIM in it while in Canada. I'd get my bill and find that I was charged like 79 cents a minute for people leaving me voicemails.

The only way to avoid this was to put the phone in airplane mode or remove the SIM before leaving the United States and keep it that way until you're back on US soil.

Is this the same way with Verizon?

Yes, except removing the SIM only disables 4G, since for everything else it uses the CDMA receiver, so airplane mode is really the only way to go.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This whole "not wanting to lose my unlimited plan" thing is confusing me. I got grandfathered in to the unlimited plan, I currently have an old Bionic, and I've been doing month-to-month on my (now discontinued) Nationwide 450 plan. If I buy the MAXX with a new 2-year contract, they make me pick a new contract and I lose the unlimited. That I get, but I can't seem to just buy the phone straight up on the website without them making me choose a new plan. Do I need to go to a store and buy the phone in-person to make sure they don't futz with my unlimited data, or am I totally SOL on that front?

EDIT: I think I got it. The way I see it, the price difference of buying on-contract v off-contract is $300. If my current "unlimited" bill is $80/mo (before taxes), and the cheapest (2GB mo) new plan is $100/mo (before taxes), that's a $20 difference, spread over the $300, and if I have the phone longer than 15 months (which I plan on because I use phones until they physically die), then it's cheaper to just buy the phone outright and keep my unlimited data plan. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 20, 2014

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Your plan will remain $80 before taxes. They just change your data allowance from unlimited to 2gb. You don't have to choose a new phone plan

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Your plan will remain $80 before taxes. They just change your data allowance from unlimited to 2gb. You don't have to choose a new phone plan

So no matter what, I lose unlimited?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Spend $699 retain unlimited:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-MAXX-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B00E9W8Q1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390248073&sr=8-1&keywords=droid+maxx

Or do the upgrade and call after to have them put you on the 6 GB Max plan, and just lose your feature discount. (I lost my 20% on my data plan. Oh well.)

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Your best bet is to pay $399 for a no contract Moto X http://www.motorola.com/us/home There was a coupon out for awhile that brought the price down to $350. If you do that you still have unlimited data

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'd appreciate some help with my recent upgrade debacle.

I went into a Verizon corporate store last week to upgrade my equipment. I wanted to buy a Moto X from the Motomaker site and the sales associate told me she was doing that; however, I get a shipment notification for a phone the next day. Verizon tells me to reject shipment, but the FedEx guy just drops it at the door. When I went to the corporate store today, they demanded a $35 restock fee for the phone. I think I can get the restock fee waived, but can I ask for anything more after this runaround?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I'd appreciate some help with my recent upgrade debacle.

I went into a Verizon corporate store last week to upgrade my equipment. I wanted to buy a Moto X from the Motomaker site and the sales associate told me she was doing that; however, I get a shipment notification for a phone the next day. Verizon tells me to reject shipment, but the FedEx guy just drops it at the door. When I went to the corporate store today, they demanded a $35 restock fee for the phone. I think I can get the restock fee waived, but can I ask for anything more after this runaround?

If the box is unopened, there is no restocking fee. End of story.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

hoobajoo posted:

If the box is unopened, there is no restocking fee. End of story.

Great, I handed them the unopened shipping box from FedEx. They cut it open and then asked for the restocking fee. This has been a very weird trip through customer service.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Great, I handed them the unopened shipping box from FedEx. They cut it open and then asked for the restocking fee. This has been a very weird trip through customer service.

I mean the phone box.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

hoobajoo posted:

I mean the phone box.

That too. I've just accidentally stumbled into a series of wrong moves.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

That too. I've just accidentally stumbled into a series of wrong moves.

Well that sucks. Why would they open it? Did you go to a real Verizon Wireless store and not Verizion at Joe's Cell Shack? Because they should know the number 1 rule of returns is don't open the box. At any rate if you're polite yet upset that a rep hosed you, you should get the charge reversed.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006
So this is kind of an odd thing: My dad currently has an old flip phone that he got before his plan merged from Alltel into Verizon. He suddenly decided that he wants a new one, but it looks like every option he has to upgrade is making him tack on a $10 data plan that he won't ever use. Is his best bet just to look for something on eBay, or can this be maneuvered around with a call to Verizon?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Twain of Pain posted:

So this is kind of an odd thing: My dad currently has an old flip phone that he got before his plan merged from Alltel into Verizon. He suddenly decided that he wants a new one, but it looks like every option he has to upgrade is making him tack on a $10 data plan that he won't ever use. Is his best bet just to look for something on eBay, or can this be maneuvered around with a call to Verizon?

If he gets the right phone, he can call to have it activated. They will actually have to add the data plan onto the phone, take it off, then add a data block.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

hoobajoo posted:

Yes, except removing the SIM only disables 4G, since for everything else it uses the CDMA receiver, so airplane mode is really the only way to go.

Um, no.

The 4G SIM card also stores the CDMA credentials for the account. Pulling the SIM will keep it from working at all (except 911)

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

So is there a verdict on the preserving unlimited data while using an upgrade on another line loophole? I'm trying to dig up information on other forums about it but I can't seem to find anything about it outside of SA. For what it's worth, I'll be attempting to do this:

Line 1 has unlimited data with upgrade available
Line 2 has 2gb data with no upgrade

Using Verizon's website I will:

1. Transfer upgrade from line 1 to 2
2. Upgrade line 2's phone with subsidized cost
3. Activate new phone on line 2
4. Reactivate original phone onto line 2
5. Activate new phone on line 1

Of course, I'm paralyzed with FUD right now and haven't pulled the trigger yet. The checkout page on the verizon website doesn't seem to suggest that I'd lose unlimited on the line 1 donor account, but at the same time I'm afraid of this new policy possibly putting a wrench in things.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

yergacheffe posted:

unlimited upgrade stuff
You've got it right, but be warned, you may be audited and lose unlimited in the future. Maybe. We still don't have more details/confirmation.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Right, that post you linked is the main reason why I haven't done it yet. On one hand it's uncertain what will happen, on the other hand I feel like I should do it now while details are still not finalized.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I spent a while contacting everyone I could at work and nobody has any clue and I can't find any memo about audits.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
So, here is a weird issue I'm having. I cannot use YouTube with my tethered wifi anymore. I'm using a Droid HD Razr Maxx, and any computer I attach to it can no longer stream YouTube. Netflix also seems to default to a much lower quality than it used to. I can still torrent at 1000+kB/s no problem.

I'm on the unlimited plan, and I've been using it in place of the crappy DSL around here.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
After a month of obsessing over my escape from Sprint and considering everything under the sun, I am going to get on my family's Verizon account.

I have always had Android phones, but I think I want to try an iPhone. I don't want to sign a contract with Verizon yet so I want to buy an older one cash, probably the 4s. If I like it I will upgrade with a contract when the new ones come out, hopefully with a bigger screen.

Where is the best place to look for a 4s to buy cash? Should I go Craigslist and meet at a store or through an online site?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Criagslist, eBay, and Swappa. Just make sure it's not activation locked and the ESN is good. Also, try to stretch your budget to a 5, since a 4s won't have LTE.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

If you purchase through Craigslist then yeah meet at a store to get it activated.

eBay you can usually tell via the feedback from the seller, I have never used or even looked at Swappa personally.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I've bought plenty of phones off eBay and as long as you pay attention to the seller feedback you're usually ok.

Plus, eBay's buyer protection is so hilariously in the buyer's favor with that kind of stuff.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I spent a while contacting everyone I could at work and nobody has any clue and I can't find any memo about audits.

Alright I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot. In the event something goes wrong and I get my unlimited data taken away, do I have a grace period to return the phone at a store and get back on unlimited? Or would I have to go and (politely) bitch to get it back?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I will go try for a 5 if I see a good deal. The cool thing about Apple products is they hold value like crazy so I can resell, of course this also sucks because it means a 2 year old phone is still 350 :(

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

yergacheffe posted:

Alright I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot. In the event something goes wrong and I get my unlimited data taken away, do I have a grace period to return the phone at a store and get back on unlimited? Or would I have to go and (politely) bitch to get it back?

You have 14 days and will not be able to get the unlimited back by complaining at the store.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Verizon billing called me confused about how I placed my order online, but they were actually really easy and I was off the phone in 15 minutes. I have an old plan that's no longer offered but has unlimited data which I've just been running m2m on, so I just bought the MAXX for full price online. They called to tell me that because it was charged as an 'upgrade', a new contract would be added when I activated it. I told them specifically I wanted to keep my current plan exactly as-is, so they changed my order to "Equipment Only". At least according to the e-mail confirm I have, my plan looks to have stayed completely intact. I guess we'll see if it really worked once I get my phone, activate it, and get my first bill :ohdear:

The things I do to save $20/mo AND keep unlimited data...

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Verizon billing called me confused about how I placed my order online, but they were actually really easy and I was off the phone in 15 minutes. I have an old plan that's no longer offered but has unlimited data which I've just been running m2m on, so I just bought the MAXX for full price online. They called to tell me that because it was charged as an 'upgrade', a new contract would be added when I activated it. I told them specifically I wanted to keep my current plan exactly as-is, so they changed my order to "Equipment Only". At least according to the e-mail confirm I have, my plan looks to have stayed completely intact. I guess we'll see if it really worked once I get my phone, activate it, and get my first bill :ohdear:

The things I do to save $20/mo AND keep unlimited data...

Make sure to keep that email and you'll be able to see if they changed your plan within a few hours of activating your phone (someone mentioned that if you don't catch it within two weeks, or something, it'll be about impossible to fix).

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have a Droid Razr Maxx, and I'd like to know why it drops my 4g connection every 4-5 minutes if i'm not actively using it. It then takes 1-2 minutes for it to regain that connection. It's fine if I have an application that is constantly using data like pandora, but aside from that it's becoming annoying.

I can tell when this happens because Steam becomes disconnected, and then I'll try a web page and it won't connect, and then steam will try to reconnect and that normally is a 1-2 minute process.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You should check your battery saving settings. It might be shutting off your mobile data if it's idle to save battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm looking around in the settings for this but I'm not seeing it. I looked under battery and data. Under data, there is nothing there that is limiting my data usage.

Honestly, this phone has been a piece of crap since I purchased it nearly two years ago. I'm going to try a factory reset later this week but deactiving a ton of authenticators is going to be a pain in the rear end, and I'm a bit scared to lose my puzzle and dragons data.

• Locked thread