Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grapey
Oct 10, 2012
Pretty kitty! I see drowsy eyes, not plotting eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

Cute :3:
My pet pictures are mostly large dogs so I can't compete with puppies. :(

There used to be a show on MTV or something called Room Raiders I think. They would have a college-aged kid inspect different rooms and decide which person to go on a date with solely based on their bedrooms. It was pretty awesome. I want to go on that show and see what kinds of assumptions people make about me based on my ecletic decor.

I actually love our gray furniture because it means one wall in the room can be bright orange and I can re-paint it whatever color I want whenever I want. My bedroom would fail that test so hard, though. We don't actually have a bedframe and my nightstand is actually a box of books I never unpacked. Also the dresser drawers are always open because despite getting a kind I thought was cat-proof, it turns out nothing is cat-proof to a cat who only ever wants to be in a drawer. Unless someone is basing this on number of empty CamelBak water bottles on the floor next to a bed. Because I have two.

e:

grapey posted:

Pretty kitty! I see drowsy eyes, not plotting eyes.

You've fallen for her ploy. They are just drowsy, though. She sleeps propping herself up on a blanket into a sitting position and never seems to close her eyes all the way. I've never seen a cat fight sleep so much.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
My poor kitty is hiding because there are three 7-year old girls here decorating cookies who keep taking breaks to chase him. My husband has abandoned me to the girls and taken my poor cat with him. It is so loud in here.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

poopkitty posted:

My poor kitty is hiding because there are three 7-year old girls here decorating cookies who keep taking breaks to chase him. My husband has abandoned me to the girls and taken my poor cat with him. It is so loud in here.

Afternoon drinking post has gained so much context.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

amarantinesky posted:

My pet pictures are mostly large dogs so I can't compete with puppies. :(

gimme all your bigdogs, i'll love and appreciate them

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

amarantinesky posted:

There used to be a show on MTV or something called Room Raiders I think. They would have a college-aged kid inspect different rooms and decide which person to go on a date with solely based on their bedrooms. It was pretty awesome. I want to go on that show and see what kinds of assumptions people make about me based on my ecletic decor.

Aw poo poo, I saw an episode of that show. The only things I remember is the chick found a jar full of loose change in one of the rooms and assumed that meant the guy was poor and she didn't want to go out with a poor guy, and over the course of the thing you could see the guys get less and less interested in her and by the end the guy who "won" was really unconvincingly forcing a smile about it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
He IS EATING THE CAT

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
here is a picture of my cat that i took bc im white as hell

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://soundcloud.com/menorah-on-fire/duel-of-the-fakes

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Fruity Gordo posted:

here is a picture of my cat that i took bc im white as hell

I think your cat might be a hipster

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i dont take pictures of my cats because the one i really want to take pictures of (because she is tiny as hell, like half the size of a full grown cat, might maybe weight 3 lbs max) is pulling all of her fur out and looks terrible

and if im not taking pictures of one im not taking pictures of any of them :colbert:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Portals posted:

I think your cat might be a hipster

she does hate music that isnt sweet acoustic guitar-heavy folk...

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
The girls are gone and we just enjoyed our MLK-inspired supper of greens and hush puppies. Now I'm out of cayenne and about to make an internet spice order. What else should I buy? I need cumin, coriander and cayenne and always have chili and paprika and various curries. What spices should I try?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Where are you buying from? What do you already have, and what do you cook? I like a couple of Penzey's mixes and barbecue rubs and baking stuff, along with the basics. And I always have to hold back from straight-up snorting their toasted onion powder.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

poopkitty posted:

What spices should I try?
depends on what you like.

chinese? szechuan peppercorns and look up recipes to make with them
add zip to american cooking? long pepper/grains of paradise/smoked salt
russian food? fresh dill instead of dried
indian food? look up what's in curry and make it from scratch this time. or get curry leaves, those are good
thai? fresh lemongrass instead of dried
spanish? smoked paprika

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Anne Whateley posted:

Where are you buying from? What do you already have, and what do you cook? I like a couple of Penzey's mixes and barbecue rubs and baking stuff, along with the basics. And I always have to hold back from straight-up snorting their toasted onion powder.

Penzeys! And I've never bought there before. I cook mostly curries and stews and soups and things that I can cook for a long time (like, slow cooked stuff.) I'm always down for branching out. I can't BBQ (no place to grill.) Tonight I made southern american, I like mexican (tex-mex and baja mex) and we make a lot of Asian because well, we live here. I don't bake much because time, but I like to even though I suck. I have S&P in lots of varieties (tellicherry, white and pink; himalayan ground and solid chunks and also kosher flake and some kind with a fish on it and kanji that is SO good on grilled fish.) Oils a'plenty. Vanilla extract from Mexico, cinnamon, whole nutmeg, dill weed, paprika, 2 kinds of chili, fennel seed, celery seed, italian seasoning, 2 kinds of Mrs. Dash (because I like it in my canned tuna) red pepper flake, bay, bell's seasoning (for stuffin', must have.) We have home mixed chili blend (my 12 year old likes to make chili and makes his own spice blends, so we have "popcorn blend" and "Sam chili mix" also. So far in my cart are coriander, cumin, cayenne and malabar 'corns. The cake spice is tempting me and so is the southern breakfast sausage blend since the pork here is AMAZING.

E: spelling

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 20, 2014

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'm a big fan of penzey's blends. Adobo, Northwest, Sunny Paris, Fox Point and Turkish are staples for me.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

For basic spices, I like turmeric even though it stains like a motherfucker. Mmmm, prawn curry with turmeric and coconut milk!

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Baneling Butts posted:

For basic spices, I like turmeric even though it stains like a motherfucker. Mmmm, prawn curry with turmeric and coconut milk!

This, I put turmeric in my chicken noodle soup which people find weird, but then they taste it and never talk bad about it again.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Turmeric and cumin are underrated. Adobo, on the other hand, confuses and angers me. It's so salty. Edit: Namely Goya brand Adobo. I thought it was a brand name until I googled otherwise. So am I now to assume not all Adobo is salty and vaguely garlicky and gross? Please enlighten, ladythread.

Thora fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 20, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I never notice that Turmeric tastes like that much so I mostly use it for colour but it's possible my Turmeric is old/ my taste buds have been burned out by overzealous use of Cayenne (the best).

My uncle gave me some black cardamom pods and curry leaves with my Christmas present of Rick Steins Indian cookbook. I haven't used them yet but he said the black cardamom is awesome.

Baneling Butts posted:

Recipe plz. Love coconut milk curries.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i was young i tried to make a recipe that required five spice but i had no five spice so i used allspice

don't do this

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i dunno what bb's recipe is but mine would be something like: 400g peeled prawns, a few cloves of garlic, a thumb-sized piece of ginger, a red birdseye chilli or two, 400ml of coconut milk, 1 1/2 tsp of powdered turmeric, a tbsp of oyster sauce, a splash of fish sauce and a whole bunch of sliced shallots and coriander

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
fruity gordo go to bed it's 1:25 am

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
btw i never knew fruity gordo was a wine until i saw an empty cask of it lying on the street the other day (surry hills 4 lyfe)

i just sort of stopped and stared at it

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
YOU GO TO BED DAD

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

btw i never knew fruity gordo was a wine until i saw an empty cask of it lying on the street the other day (surry hills 4 lyfe)

i just sort of stopped and stared at it

noice

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
did you know the surry hills liquorland won't sell cask wine before 11am? they have a little note to that effect on the door

and here i thought we were living in a free country

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
that's loving outrageous wtf. out here in god's own country (penrith) you can buy that poo poo at 7 am

that's what you get voting in a greens local council (gently caress i wish we all voted green)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My new favorite thing on Netflix is An Idiot Abroad. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

Last night one of my cats knocked my coat onto the floor and made a bed out of it. It was so covered in hair I had to wear an older one, and it feels weirdly big and awkward. It's a lovely coat, but the other one fits like a glove.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
am I allowed to post here yet

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i am resigned to forever wearing cat fur bc i have a floordrobe. when poo poo gets really dire i use masking tape on all my poo poo

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Ignoarints posted:

nah no homers

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Fruity Gordo posted:

i dunno what bb's recipe is but mine would be something like: 400g peeled prawns, a few cloves of garlic, a thumb-sized piece of ginger, a red birdseye chilli or two, 400ml of coconut milk, 1 1/2 tsp of powdered turmeric, a tbsp of oyster sauce, a splash of fish sauce and a whole bunch of sliced shallots and coriander

Thanks! It would be pretty much impossible for that to taste bad. Will have to wait for a day when my housemate isn't home because he hates seafood, the weirdo.

Avshalom posted:

did you know the surry hills liquorland won't sell cask wine before 11am? they have a little note to that effect on the door

and here i thought we were living in a free country

Monstrous. What if you want to have an early lunch? What will you serve with it? Juice?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
well see i think ahead and stock up on my cask wine the night before to get me through that horrible 12am-11am dry spell

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
i would fiddle with some of those proportions to suit your tastes though, since i forget how much 400g of prawns is. that seems high in hindsight. if you like poo poo more coconutty then add more milk imo, and no fish sauce if you don't like salty, or a tsp of kecap manus instead of fish sauce. but that combination of ingredients in my brain and the vague proportions sound good to me

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Ignoarints posted:

Do you have good advice about meat spices? If so, yes. If not, well... we'll see. Sit quietly and the committee will be with you shortly.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

well see i think ahead and stock up on my cask wine the night before to get me through that horrible 12am-11am dry spell

the best thing is when uncle woolies sells 15L of goon for $30. that is like naked DIE WORKING CLASS NYAHAHAHA poo poo and i live for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
supermarkets exploiting the proletariat is like my favourite topic of conversation irl to the point where it's becoming my Thing and i worry that i'll be known as the crazed anti-coles fanatic by all the other respectable uni students

THE MILK WAR IS KILLING THE DAIRY INDUSTRY

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

• Locked thread