Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A little bit, yeah. I can't really say how much because I've got two 760s in SLI so... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gonkish posted:

This. Essentially it seems to remove the memory overhead that plagued Skyrim previously, meaning people with a shitload of mods -- especially memory-hungry things like texture mods -- can get away with it without having the game constantly poo poo itself due to hitting the memory limit.

I have quite a few texture mods and I notice little stutters quite often. Think that may be the cause or just my 660ti not being able to handle it?

ENB stuff always feels like a unwieldy thing to figure out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ularg posted:

I have quite a few texture mods and I notice little stutters quite often. Think that may be the cause or just my 660ti not being able to handle it?

ENB stuff always feels like a unwieldy thing to figure out.

It's probably a combination of Skyrim nearing its memory limit, and then the VRAM on your card. They're both around 2GB, and Skyrim with a shitload of texture mods can push 2GB easily at 1080p. If you're ABOVE 1080p, then it's definitely a VRAM issue PLUS Skyrim's memory issues.

ENB is pretty straightforward, although it does require you to muck around in the Skyrim folder. Basically all you need to do is find an ENB preset you like (I use Phinix Natural ENB), and then download the appropriate version of ENB from https://enbdev.com. If you're using the preset, the only thing you care about in the ENB download is the d3d9.dll found under "Wrapper Version" in the .zip. Phinix is nice because it includes pretty easy to follow instructions, and EVERYTHING is annotated within the various files, if you want to muck around in those (and you don't need to, the preset by itself is really nice).

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 20, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gonkish posted:

It's probably a combination of Skyrim nearing its memory limit, and then the VRAM on your card. They're both around 2GB, and Skyrim with a shitload of texture mods can push 2GB easily at 1080p. If you're ABOVE 1080p, then it's definitely a VRAM issue PLUS Skyrim's memory issues.

Skyrim HD texture packs, Galaxy and Stars Retexture, Improved NPC Clothing and male faces, aMidianBorn book of Silence Creatures/Armors, Realistic Landscape 2k, Static Mesh Improvement, Realistic Water, Superior Rocks 2k. That's pretty much all I have.

Solid 60 fps, but slight stutters as I traverse the open world. Might be due to the floral overhaul though.

Gonkish posted:

ENB is pretty straightforward, although it does require you to muck around in the Skyrim folder. Basically all you need to do is find an ENB preset you like (I use Phinix Natural ENB), and then download the appropriate version of ENB from https://enbdev.com. If you're using the preset, the only thing you care about in the ENB download is the d3d9.dll found under "Wrapper Version" in the .zip. Phinix is nice because it includes pretty easy to follow instructions, and EVERYTHING is annotated within the various files, if you want to muck around in those (and you don't need to, the preset by itself is really nice).

Yea I have the wrapper version installed because I was told it had memory tweaks already. So I have the basis on which to apply ENB presets and the like.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ularg posted:

Skyrim HD texture packs, Galaxy and Stars Retexture, Improved NPC Clothing and male faces, aMidianBorn book of Silence Creatures/Armors, Realistic Landscape 2k, Static Mesh Improvement, Realistic Water, Superior Rocks 2k. That's pretty much all I have.

Solid 60 fps, but slight stutters as I traverse the open world. Might be due to the floral overhaul though.

Yea I have the wrapper version installed because I was told it had memory tweaks already. So I have the basis on which to apply ENB presets and the like.

Well, the stutters are most likely due to things being loaded, specifically models and textures since those are obviously the largest. That's more VRAM than anything.

As for the ENB, did you just copy everything from the wrapper folder or just the .dll? If you've got stuff like enbseries.ini and enblocal.ini in the base Skyrim folder, then the ENB memory tweaks are working (and they're a good thing, too), but if you just have the .dll alone it's not working.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Gonkish posted:

Well, the stutters are most likely due to things being loaded, specifically models and textures since those are obviously the largest. That's more VRAM than anything.

As for the ENB, did you just copy everything from the wrapper folder or just the .dll? If you've got stuff like enbseries.ini and enblocal.ini in the base Skyrim folder, then the ENB memory tweaks are working (and they're a good thing, too), but if you just have the .dll alone it's not working.

I have the wrapper version and ini and tweaked it along with Skyrims ini and Nvidia control panel according to guides like this.

I think I might have to step back on the textures since I wanted to go with an ENB preset. Probably the rocks. Thank you so much for your help though.

Edit: Actually I think I forgot the memory extender stuff. I should get back to you on that.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

grrarg posted:

Moving Skyrim out of Program Files is a Mod Organizer thing. The more I read the thread, the more I kind of agree with that guy with the hate-on for all the love Mod Organizer gets in the thread. It is a great tool for advanced users, but too much for someone starting out.
I'm sure I know who you're referring to, but I don't hate MO. I hate that people in this thread are told that they have to get MO, that it's the only reasonable way to organize mods, when in fact people coming to this thread for help are exactly the people who shouldn't be using MO.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Kilroy posted:

in fact people coming to this thread for help are exactly the people who shouldn't be using MO.
I'm pretty sure we've been over this before, but a lot of the people coming to this thread for help with MO (and many other things like not-absorbing-dragonsouls) perhaps shouldn't have come to this thread first. If they had instead read the readme or spend a few minutes with google looking up their problem, they would have found the sollution faster. The thread title even says to read the OP and still we occasionally get someone asking something that's covered in the OP.
MO isn't the problem for that catagory of poster, it's their unwillingness or inability to use their brain and look things up.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 20, 2014

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Does anyone have a suggestion of a good roleplay angle + a handful of accompanying mods to facilitate said angle that they've really liked/thought of? I'm dying to start a new game but I'm coming up a little dry in what to do.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I had fun for quite a while with a "no equipment" run using SPERG we discussed at some point in the thread; basically, using bound weapons and spell armour (this gets easier when you get alteration up to the point where armour spells are permanent as long as you're only wearing clothing).

I kinda screwed it up by going summons and almost never using the weapons, so I basically have a win button every time I summon a potent Storm Atronach now, and I get murdered whenever I try to melee it out, but eh. :v:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Raygereio posted:

MO isn't the problem for that catagory of poster, it's their unwillingness or inability to use their brain and look things up.
Those people definitely shouldn't be using it, but yeah more RTFM would be nice.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Kilroy posted:

Those people definitely shouldn't be using it, but yeah more RTFM would be nice.

Maybe this sounds harsh, but I don't think those people should be PC gaming let alone modding. Basic googling, and general jury rigging is pretty much a necessity just to run Windows.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

Let us know if it works! :)

Works. Steam is now out of program files, uninstalled BOSS/MO again. Reinstalled both, just used the Alternate Starting mod as a test and it worked beautifully.

One small strange problem. I cannot install the Hearthfire Patch as it says "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive". I've installed the hearthfire patch on previous attempts to get MO to work and never had a problem.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Maybe this sounds harsh, but I don't think those people should be PC gaming let alone modding. Basic googling, and general jury rigging is pretty much a necessity just to run Windows.

And this is why consoles make money.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

And this is why consoles make money.

You obviously don't have the :pcskills: to be in this thread, please close browser and uninstall windows.

e: (the reason people don't enjoy reading 30+ readme's or googling every one of their mods in order to work out how to install it is because it's loving mind numbing and infuriating. That's how TES modding is, but it doesn't mean goons shouldn't help out people who're new to this poo poo, that's one of the things that makes SA awesome.)

e2: on a more relevant note, I've decided to admit to myself that there's no way my HD 6870 is going to cut it if I want some of the high texture mods... time to upgrade.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 20, 2014

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Works. Steam is now out of program files, uninstalled BOSS/MO again. Reinstalled both, just used the Alternate Starting mod as a test and it worked beautifully.

One small strange problem. I cannot install the Hearthfire Patch as it says "None of the available installer plugins were able to handle that archive". I've installed the hearthfire patch on previous attempts to get MO to work and never had a problem.

This normally happens when you're feeding a filetype it cannot handle. But since we know this is perfectly functional mod i suspect a corrupted download. Redownload it from nexus ?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Gonkish posted:

Having further tested the stability of Skyrim with the changed .dll I posted about... and holy poo poo it works! It really loving works! I'm not talking reduced crashing or anything, I'm talking ELIMINATED crashing. Period. No crashes. 200+ mods, not a single crash or infinite loading screen. This is madness!

Yeah, this convinced me to finally set up ENB, and holy crap, this might as well be voodoo.

I used this illustrated guide in conjunction with this low-key ENB profile (see "installation") and it only took me about 5 minutes. The critical step occurs after you finish the above installation. Just download the new skse file, and overwrite skse_steam_loader.dll in the Skyrim main folder.

Then activate it by making a new textfile containing:

"
[NotPlacebo]
GiveFirstBornToSheson=1
"

and save the text file as SKSE.ini and place it in your SKSE folder: Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\SKSE

Now, when you start the game using SKSE, it'll use both your ENB graphics boost and the memory buffer voodoo.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 20, 2014

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I compiled another version of the dll that allows you to set the memory patch amounts in SKSE.ini instead of having to recompile it every time. It's based on a patch in the original CTD fix thread on the ENB forums before Boris shut it down due to all the traffic it was getting.

https://www.mediafire.com/?pkk3jeegn9c7yiq

Extract it to your Skyrim folder (requires SKSE beforehand obviously)

Included SKSE.ini:
[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Interface]
EnableContainerCategorization=1

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[NotPlacebo]
GiveFirstBornToSheson=1
MemBlock1=512
MemBlock2=256

[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1

MemBlock1 and MemBlock2 are the new options. From my experience: don't increase MemBlock1 beyond 512 or you will crash when attempting to launch. These default options should be fine for most people.

I did a test battle with a bunch of scripted mods + SIC + ASIS + HLE + DD + whatever (about 30 things fighting at once) and it was stable with uGrids at 7.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 20, 2014

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Hearing about all of this memory stuff has reminded me that every time I've checked, I've found that Skyrim hardly ever uses more than 1 GB of RAM for me. It does use all of my VRAM, though (I've got a GTX 570 with about 1.2 GB VRAM). The RAM usage seems low, because I've got over 200 mods installed. Most of those are content mods and scripted mods, though. The only visual mods I have are WATER and Climates of Tamriel. Does this mean I could afford to upgrade the visuals a bit without losing performance? I had assumed that visuals were mostly a VRAM thing and the fact that all of it was being used meant my FPS would drop if I added any more visual mods. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to technical stuff, though, so I could very well be wrong.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 20, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Is there a way yet to get the memory buffer without running an ENB? Kilroy is to Mod Organizer as I am to ENB, and I'd definitely like to finally end CTDs but remain irrationally hostile to using ENB.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

The Mad Archivist posted:

Is there a way yet to get the memory buffer without running an ENB? Kilroy is to Mod Organizer as I am to ENB, and I'd definitely like to finally end CTDs but remain irrationally hostile to using ENB.

There's an option to turn off all the enb graphics stuff. You can use it exclusively as a behind-the-scenes wrapper to stabilize your game if you want to. After you install it, both starting your game and playing your game will be no different aside from improved performance and stability. Like I said: voodoo.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Gyoru posted:

[Interface]
EnableContainerCategorization=1

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

What's the reasoning for and against including these in the ini? I have mods that allow for container sorting that work great already, and I'd hate to disrupt them if I add this interface command. What will be different?

Perfect World
Jan 16, 2009

The Mad Archivist posted:

Seconding this. I'm using RCRN and don't want to cram ENB down on top of it. I've tried ENBoost in the past but not long after I did i'm pretty sure it caused this pc to have the first (and so far thankfully only) BSOD which happened while playing the game. From what I could gather from the split second I had to read the BSOD it was something memory related. It could be confirmation bias but the idea of having to use it again just for the SKSE improvement puts me on edge.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So wait, you need ENB (even with no presets) for that skse.dll to do what it's supposed to?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Edmond Dantes posted:

So wait, you need ENB (even with no presets) for that skse.dll to do what it's supposed to?

No.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Is there a mod that makes objects in my display cases not freak out after every cell reload and end up in dumb/weird positions or straight up on the floor? So far I have only found Hearthfire Display Case Fix, but it seems it just turns the cases into vertical weapon racks, which is not exactly what I want. I'd like a proper place to display my Pelagius' Hip Bone, dammit :(

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Forever_Peace posted:

What's the reasoning for and against including these in the ini? I have mods that allow for container sorting that work great already, and I'd hate to disrupt them if I add this interface command. What will be different?

EnableContainerCategorization enables the categories whether or not a mod also does. Mods that use categories just call the same thing setting EnableContainerCategorization=1 does. If you have a mod already doing it the ini won't do anything.

iTintTextureResolution is the texture resolution for things like body color tints and warpaints and stuff. In vanilla its 256 which makes some mod added stuff blocky and ugly. Setting it higher lets them look nicer, but too high can use lots of memory. Mods effected by it will probably tell you to up it in their readme.

There is also
code:
[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1
Which writes some process info about unknown crash types to a file. But unless you have a debugger and understand skyrim's guts its not something you can decipher.

code:
[Loader]
RuntimeName=something.exe
Which lets you hook skse into something other than the official skyrim exe, again unless you are doing dev stuff its useless.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

grate deceiver posted:

Is there a mod that makes objects in my display cases not freak out after every cell reload and end up in dumb/weird positions or straight up on the floor? So far I have only found Hearthfire Display Case Fix, but it seems it just turns the cases into vertical weapon racks, which is not exactly what I want. I'd like a proper place to display my Pelagius' Hip Bone, dammit :(

Seconding this.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

LtSmash posted:

EnableContainerCategorization enables the categories whether or not a mod also does. Mods that use categories just call the same thing setting EnableContainerCategorization=1 does. If you have a mod already doing it the ini won't do anything.

iTintTextureResolution is the texture resolution for things like body color tints and warpaints and stuff. In vanilla its 256 which makes some mod added stuff blocky and ugly. Setting it higher lets them look nicer, but too high can use lots of memory. Mods effected by it will probably tell you to up it in their readme.

There is also
code:
[Debug]
WriteMinidumps=1
Which writes some process info about unknown crash types to a file. But unless you have a debugger and understand skyrim's guts its not something you can decipher.

code:
[Loader]
RuntimeName=something.exe
Which lets you hook skse into something other than the official skyrim exe, again unless you are doing dev stuff its useless.

Thanks for the description! I downloaded your .dll and will report any problems. I only added MemBlock and ClearInvalidRegistrations lines to my skse.ini though. Used the MemBlock values you recommended.

Speaking of which - the default is 256 for both, right? So MemBlock1=512 should help with performance?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Forever_Peace posted:

Thanks for the description! I downloaded your .dll and will report any problems. I only added MemBlock and ClearInvalidRegistrations lines to my skse.ini though. Used the MemBlock values you recommended.

Speaking of which - the default is 256 for both, right? So MemBlock1=512 should help with performance?

:shrug: Those are the normal SKSE options. I have nothing to do with the new memory fix thing. http://enbdev.com/ctdfix.html claims they both start at 256 and to only raise the first one to start out as the second block can cause problems or something?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I finally have a decent computer and have been thinking of taking up Morrowind. The last time I tried (Xbox version), the gameplay was pretty tedious and I had a hard time sticking with it. So now that I have the ability to mod it, what mods would you guys recommend?

Or if I've completely missed it, point me to the right thread.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Kimmalah posted:

Or if I've completely missed it, point me to the right thread.

Let's Reinstall Morrowind

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Sorry, didn't see it! Games moves kind of fast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I try to install Acquisitive Soul Gems in Mod Organizer I get "Error: encoding method unsupported", then it tells me the mod was not installed completely. What gives?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meanwhile, this is why you ALWAYS keep track of what mods you've installed: http://imgur.com/a/BbBUT

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
"leave the cape on :colbert: "

Anyway I refuse to believe you could have installed a mod like that without being aware of it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How do you install that on accident? :raise:
Unless USKP decided to "fix" something again.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Gonkish posted:

Meanwhile, this is why you ALWAYS keep track of what mods you've installed: http://imgur.com/a/BbBUT

That's really not the sort of mod you "accidentally" install as a prerequisite or one you simply forget about.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Guard Dialogue Overhaul, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

When I try to install Acquisitive Soul Gems in Mod Organizer I get "Error: encoding method unsupported", then it tells me the mod was not installed completely. What gives?

The nexus poo poo itself, try redownloading or install manually.

You can actually open those mods in the MO download folder with a hex/text editor and see "OOps, looks like our database is having trouble right now!!!!!" in the code of the archive. Pretty hilarious.

• Locked thread