Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Scott Bakula posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/20/jerome-champagne-sepp-blatter-fifa-presidency

Jerome Champagne is going to run for FIFA presidency. How long before he gets caught up in a corruption scandal so Blatter can run uncontested again?

Jerry Champagne, is this guy even real? That's a great mobster name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
He sounds too good to be president of FIFA. Apart from his 'orange card' proposal which won't go down well itf everything else he's said is pretty much bang on the money.

"We need a different Fifa," he said. "More democratic, more respected, which behaves better and which does more."

"More often than ever, matches are being marred by unacceptable scenes of players surrounding and haranguing the referee," he wrote in a document first published in March 2013.

(BBC)

Also, he says all FIFA salaries should be made public, and FIFA presidential candidates should participate in live televised debates. That would fuckin own.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
It's a great name, but it's no Tokyo Sexwale.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

stickyfngrdboy posted:

He sounds too good to be president of FIFA. Apart from his 'orange card' proposal which won't go down well itf everything else he's said is pretty much bang on the money.

"We need a different Fifa," he said. "More democratic, more respected, which behaves better and which does more."

"More often than ever, matches are being marred by unacceptable scenes of players surrounding and haranguing the referee," he wrote in a document first published in March 2013.

(BBC)

Also, he says all FIFA salaries should be made public, and FIFA presidential candidates should participate in live televised debates. That would fuckin own.

How long until he's bought and becomes corrupt like the rest of them?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

(BBC)

this dude would be so much better than blatter or platini

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yes

Now, I've heard of Champagne football but this is ridiculous!!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Besides orange cards and a sin bin, Champagne also wants the following changes to the game:

• Quotas for foreign players
  • The same rules as rugby, where only the captain can talk to the referee and any dissent is punished with a free kick ten yards closer to your own goal
  • Getting rid of what he calls 'triple punishment' where a player who commits a foul within the penalty area can concede a penalty, get sent off, and get suspended for another match or more

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Champagne makes me tipsy.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I will only support him if he changes his name to Jerry Newcastle-Bitter

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

vyelkin posted:

Besides orange cards and a sin bin, Champagne also wants the following changes to the game:

• Quotas for foreign players
  • The same rules as rugby, where only the captain can talk to the referee and any dissent is punished with a free kick ten yards closer to your own goal
  • Getting rid of what he calls 'triple punishment' where a player who commits a foul within the penalty area can concede a penalty, get sent off, and get suspended for another match or more

Love him, me. Except the idea of democracy but that's probably a joke election promise anyway.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

oh em gee bee ess posted:

How long until he's bought and becomes corrupt like the rest of them?

Come on now. You realize the answer is that he is already corrupt or else he would never be permitted to run for FIFA president. Just give it time.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Qatar World Cup: 185 Nepalese died in 2013 – official records

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hopefully they get nuked by Israel before 2022.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Hopefully they get nuked by Israel before 2022.

Nice Zionism.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Sepp Blatter himself has asked some of his friends in Qatar if these reports are accurate, and assures everyone that they are indeed "totally bogus." In other news, Sepp Blatter has been named "Construction Czar" for all of Qatar and assures everyone this is not a conflict of interest.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CubanMissile posted:

Sepp Blatter himself has asked some of his friends in Qatar if these reports are accurate, and assures everyone that they are indeed "totally bogus." In other news, Sepp Blatter has been named "Construction Czar" for all of Qatar and assures everyone this is not a conflict of interest.

See, FIFA is so ridiculously corrupt that I honestly can't tell if the second half of this post is a joke or not.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's a joke, but might as well be true.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
FIFA is so corrupt I didn't even consider the possibility that it was a joke.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Yes, Blatter probably running again... Just what we've all been waiting for!

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/07/sepp-blatter-fifth-term-fifa-president

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I, for one, am looking forward to Russia 2018.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can't wait to see how much it costs looking as how much was spent on Sochi

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I can't wait to see Qatar one-up them.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Scott Bakula posted:

I can't wait to see how much it costs looking as how much was spent on Sochi

There was an article the other day that said 100 billion

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Today FIFA admitted that slave labour in Qatar are "absolutely unacceptable", then conceded that there's little they can do to fix it.

At least they've stopped saying the Guardian made it all up.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
God, that's even worse than pretending it wasn't going on.

"Sorry, we abhor slavery, but we've passed the point of no return. The tournament is only 8 years away!"

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

TheBigAristotle posted:

God, that's even worse than pretending it wasn't going on.

"Sorry, we abhor slavery, but we've passed the point of no return. The tournament is only 8 years away!"

gently caress it, give 2022 to the US or hell, Australia for all I care.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
At this point I just about expect Blatter to come out and say "look, we'd love to pick a new location for the 2022 world cup, but we've already taken all this oil money :shrug:"

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Dont Fifa make countries change laws on advertising and tax when there's a world cup quite frequently? One of the many reasons they love to send it off to corrupt poo poo holes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

CareyB posted:

Dont Fifa make countries change laws on advertising and tax when there's a world cup quite frequently? One of the many reasons they love to send it off to corrupt poo poo holes.
It's funny. FIFA can force a country to rewrite laws so that Mastercard get 0.1% more visibility. But outlawing literal slavery isn't worth the effort.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

St Evan Echoes posted:

It's funny. FIFA can force a country to rewrite laws so that Mastercard get 0.1% more visibility. But outlawing literal slavery isn't worth the effort.

I don't think this is very funny at all.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
FIFA literally own and operate the police force in every host city when the World Cup comes to town. Police beatings won't be funded by taxpayer money, they'll instead be sponsored by Pepsi. Who says FIFA aren't doing something for Brazilian citizens?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Its indentured labour, not literal slavery. See also: ephebophilia.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

CareyB posted:

Part of the reason the Australian bid failed so spectacularly is the government said under no circumstances would the world cup be made tax exempt.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I remember when the 2010 Champions League didn't happen at Wembley and Platini said it was because of taxes, so it was held there the next year and everyone was tax exempt including the Barcelona players and support staff. Then a politician questioned why footballers should be tax exempt when people playing at Wimbledon or the golf or F1GP aren't. The answer is because FIFA.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Byolante posted:

Part of the reason the Australian bid failed so spectacularly is the government said under no circumstances would the world cup be made tax exempt.

Something I don't understand is that even with the tax issue surely FIFA could make more money putting the cup in a large country like Australia. Assuming tv contracts are the same, wouldn't they sell more tickets and have more participating sponsored merchants etc? I know it was all about the exco guys getting a golden handshake (look at the comical round 1 voting tally and then round 2 correction) but surely fifas next choice goes to a country that is more a sure thing?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

MoPZiG posted:

Something I don't understand is that even with the tax issue surely FIFA could make more money putting the cup in a large country like Australia. Assuming tv contracts are the same, wouldn't they sell more tickets and have more participating sponsored merchants etc? I know it was all about the exco guys getting a golden handshake (look at the comical round 1 voting tally and then round 2 correction) but surely fifas next choice goes to a country that is more a sure thing?

No they're actually just choosing world cup venues based on who bribes them the most.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

blue footed boobie posted:

No they're actually just choosing world cup venues based on who bribes them the most.

There are also considerations with planning and zoning regulations because Sepp and his family need to make sure they get all the building contracts.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/16/qatar-world-cup-400-deaths-nepalese

Death toll amongst Nepalese workers is now 400. 1000 people were admitted to hospital following falls.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Thats Nepalling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
German media are reporting that FIFA will have a vote on the reallocation of the 2022 World Cup later this year or at the latest at their conference in the spring of 2015.

Looks like Qatar is gonna get fleeced again.