Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Next page, Superman explains why he was kissing another woman, turns out it was to save the world but there was no time to explain.

I assume, anyway. Like when he laser-eyes presents from Jimmy Olsen, witholds water from Jimmy Olsen, makes Jimmy Olsen dig his own grave... it was all to save the world, you see, but there was no time to explain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think the humor would be increased if we knew WHY that was happening. Otherwise, I'm just confused.

The Oracle of Delphi just told Wonder Woman the Justice League would be killed by a dragon, so she's incapacitating every League member so she can fight the dragon herself. This will work because even one person can represent the league, apparently.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Give Lex Luthor membership in the League and wait, I'd say.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Elfface posted:

Next page, Superman explains why he was kissing another woman, turns out it was to save the world but there was no time to explain.

I assume, anyway. Like when he laser-eyes presents from Jimmy Olsen, witholds water from Jimmy Olsen, makes Jimmy Olsen dig his own grave... it was all to save the world, you see, but there was no time to explain!

I'm asuming it's an older issue, since Superman doesn't have his kryptonian battle armour on.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Went comic shopping yesterday, scored this baby out of the dollar bin:

Because the cover was ripped, but my girlfriend is a conservation/restoration technician so she's going to make it all pretty for me :)

Also theres marks on Superman like someone traced him at one point. I'm hoping that some band in the 70s had Supes eating hamburgers as their logo, screenprinted on shirts and poo poo.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
I'm reviewing Avengers: The Crossing over at my blog and came across this gem from Iron Man #322, written by Mr. Clone Saga himself, Terry Kavanagh, and penciled by a young James Cheung:

I wish RDJ went around shouting "Iron Man in your FACE!" at people in those movies.

My full review is here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2014/01/review-iron-man-322.html (spoiler alert: it's slow-paced and borderline incomprehensible, yet still an improvement)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Were some of those poses taken from JoJo?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Question:

My girlfriend really likes the X-Men cat cover that got posted earlier in this thread:

So these animal variant covers are Marvel.NOW but I don't uh

what does that mean? Are they digital only or do I have to order it from Marvel's website or what's the deal with these guys?

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2013/11/18/21532/take_an_exclusive_first_look_at_marvel_animal_variants

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Retailers get them for ordering specific quantities of the standard issues. Ask your local retailer or check mycomicshop.com, midtowncomics.com or milehighcomics.com.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I talked with my LCS owner about this when the Skottie Young Infinity covers were announced, and from what I got from him, those covers are a pain in the rear end to get. You have to order more copies of the comic than you would normally need just so you have the opportunity order even MORE copies of the variant cover, that you probably also won't sell. Seems like a total racket, especially when he showed me the notice from Marvel that they were trying to dump the variant covers for AvX (which at the time was about a year old) for $1 apiece.

You're probably better off just waiting and getting the issue online later for cheap.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Mo Tzu posted:

The Oracle of Delphi just told Wonder Woman the Justice League would be killed by a dragon, so she's incapacitating every League member so she can fight the dragon herself. This will work because even one person can represent the league, apparently.

..really? Superman can be killed by a dragon, but Wonder Woman can't?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

New Leaf posted:

..really? Superman can be killed by a dragon, but Wonder Woman can't?

A) Dragons are magical creatures.

B) I don't think "Wonder Woman can't" is part of her thought process/intention, here; the implication is pretty clearly that since the Oracle says that the Justice League is going to be killed, she's making sure that (temporarily) the Justice League consists only of her, thus sacrificing herself to save the rest of them.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

fatherdog posted:

B) I don't think "Wonder Woman can't" is part of her thought process/intention, here; the implication is pretty clearly that since the Oracle says that the Justice League is going to be killed, she's making sure that (temporarily) the Justice League consists only of her, thus sacrificing herself to save the rest of them.

Man, she should know enough Greek mythology to know that just means a dragon's going to break into wherever she stashed the unconscious members of the League and eat them while they're still out.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fatherdog posted:

It turns out that she actually is the only person who can survive, though. Like, it has fire powers that burns people because of the lies they tell? Or something? I don't know, she specifically says "Only I could withstand the dragon's fire," but I don't really remember why.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brocktoon posted:

I talked with my LCS owner about this when the Skottie Young Infinity covers were announced, and from what I got from him, those covers are a pain in the rear end to get. You have to order more copies of the comic than you would normally need just so you have the opportunity order even MORE copies of the variant cover, that you probably also won't sell. Seems like a total racket, especially when he showed me the notice from Marvel that they were trying to dump the variant covers for AvX (which at the time was about a year old) for $1 apiece.

You're probably better off just waiting and getting the issue online later for cheap.

Really? Because for standard variants like the Lego covers the minimum to get most of them was 15 copies. And the Inifnity stuff was tiered, at 10, 15, 25 and 50 so at least some of the variants could be had easily. As for the variant dumps, you can never count on that because the covers people will actually want almost never make it into those sales. The biggest problem with variants is pricing them. I've had to rethink the entire structure of how I price them due to the massive over abundance of them. I mean every single book has a variant now and less than 1/10 of those are going to move for an elevated price (the whole reason you order them is so yuo can jack up the price to cover the cost of the additional books).

DC are usually the ones who are cocks about it. They're require you to match the order ons some random other book in order to get a variant for Larfleeze or some other poo poo title.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Breetai posted:

Doop is swiftly becoming my favourite Marvel comics in-joke, and it's amazing how well they're doing by taking goffy concepts like that and just running with them.

Content: Superior Foes of Spider-man 6.

The best man. :D

Is that Doctor Bong in the front row? :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dick Trauma posted:

Is that Doctor Bong in the front row? :psyduck:

Yep, and Hippo up the back.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mo Tzu posted:

It turns out that she actually is the only person who can survive, though. Like, it has fire powers that burns people because of the lies they tell? Or something? I don't know, she specifically says "Only I could withstand the dragon's fire," but I don't really remember why.

The dragons breath burned the dishonest, I think, so Diana believed the only one who could stand against the dragon was the godess of truth. Superman might have, but the whole secret identity thing might have had him burned to a crisp too, so she played it safe.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

McCloud posted:

The dragons breath burned the dishonest, I think, so Diana believed the only one who could stand against the dragon was the godess of truth. Superman might have, but the whole secret identity thing might have had him burned to a crisp too, so she played it safe.

In that case, it makes a bit more sense. Anyone with a secret identity would be hosed.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

McCloud posted:

You'd think in that case she could just tell them 'hey, you're all going to be super vulnerable to this thing, but its main weapon can't hurt me at all. Better let me handle it.' And the various superheroes, presumably having a decent understanding of playing to their strengths would say 'yeah, okay, sounds like a plan.' Comic books :rolleyes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

She also lied to Superman about whey she called him there, so she should get burnt too.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

McCloud posted:

For some reason I'm disappointed that they weren't recycling an early Legion of Super-Heroes story as the posts above suggested.

Speaking of the Silver Age, here's some content. I call it "Wasting Good Story Ideas":

No idea where it's from, beyond "Silver Age Superman"

I'm pretty sure this has been posted a thousand times, but this beauty here decorates my desktop:

Source is on cover.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 21, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been posted a thousand times, but this beauty here decorates my desktop:

Source is on cover.

This is probably my second favourite Superdickery cover (the first being the one with Jimmy and Aquaman in the desert).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Source is on cover.

But...Batman also has a code against killing (and a hatred of guns to boot) :psyduck:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Yvonmukluk posted:

But...Batman also has a code against killing (and a hatred of guns to boot) :psyduck:

Not always!

source: I don't have the exact issue, but it's somewhere from the 5th to the 10th Batman story ever, so like Detective Comics 35 or so.

This is close to my favorite early Batman page.

edit: My other 2 favorite things is that Batman initial just drives a red car with nothing special about it, and his girlfriend is just named "Julie".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yvonmukluk posted:

Knowing the context ruins Superdickery (since the answer will most likely never live up to your expectations), but I think the explanation is that Batman has amnesia (from a conk on the head, obviously) and thinks he's a mob boss, and Superman's going along with it to prevent any actual harm from happening.

Source on that is this thread, I think.

Anyway, here's the cover mentioned above, AKA "Superdickery.jpg"

Source is on the cover, again.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 21, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Batman used to come strapped.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/07/gun-laws-and-batman.html

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I love this cover but I still find it a little hard to put into words exactly why I love it.

I honestly think it's down to the inclusion of Aquaman.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Deadpool # 13

I know fourth wall jokes are low-hanging fruit for Deadpool, but

drat, I love me some stupid puns.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Action Tortoise posted:

Deadpool # 13

I know fourth wall jokes are low-hanging fruit for Deadpool, but

I love the shards of glass in Deadpool's afro. :allears:

Did he jump through a window or something?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Elfface posted:

If someone had God-like powers, the expansive perspective they provide and a utilitarian moral code, then pretty much every thing they do would seem dickish at an individual level.

More importantly though

Lady Penelope #174, 1969

X-factor #26

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Astro City (2003) #2

Catching up on some oldies and very much enjoying Astro City so far. It's generally pretty serious so this sequence really cracked me up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Knowing the context ruins Superdickery (since the answer will most likely never live up to your expectations), but I think the explanation is that Batman has amnesia (from a conk on the head, obviously) and thinks he's a mob boss, and Superman's going along with it to prevent any actual harm from happening.

Source on that is this thread, I think.

Superdickery era Superman always took the most circuitous routes to solve problems. Like the time Jimmy accidentally put his hand on a note Superman had written in indelible ink stating that Clark Kent was Superman (Superman was putting the note in a time capsule) and so Superman's solution was to make Jimmy think he had become a merman and had to live underwater, so nobody could read the writing on his hand. Superman keeps up this charade long enough for the ink to fade and then just lets Jimmy think the whole being a merman thing wore off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Rereading Astonishing X-Men. I think most of this has been posted before, but it's been a while.

Kitty finds Colossus being held/experimented on in a lab.

Later, they head to Manhattan to punch a big monster.

Astonishing X-Men #6 and #7

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Speaking of the Silver Age, here's some content. I call it "Wasting Good Story Ideas":

To say nothing of the fact that the main point of that exchange is "stop asking questions, woman...now put on these heeled patent leather shoes!"

...makes you wonder if Marston ghost-wrote that book.

Metal Loaf posted:

I love this cover but I still find it a little hard to put into words exactly why I love it.

I honestly think it's down to the inclusion of Aquaman.

I think Superman hates Aquaman for the reason that when you think of it, they're pretty much the same character, except Aquaman's a Mary Sue that can go back to his 'home' whenever he wants, and all he ever seems to do is work in ways to go "Captain Planet" about how everyone on land is loving up his living room.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 21, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Incredible Hulk #172.

Plans to capture the Hulk go incredibly well...

...and despite yet another deus-ex de-aging and release from mystic prison, so does Juggernaut's fight with him

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I so want the next panel to be a flashback ending with "And that how Hulk get new salad bowl!"

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Uthor posted:

Rereading Astonishing X-Men. I think most of this has been posted before, but it's been a while.

Kitty finds Colossus being held/experimented on in a lab.

Later, they head to Manhattan to punch a big monster.

Astonishing X-Men #6 and #7

This was turned into a Marvel Knights animated comic and it is great - although the first 'series' is a little choppy.

Unfortunately, as the last episode features a gigantic crossover between the X-Men, the Avengers and a host of others, here in the UK some sort of copyright/ownership bollocks prevents that episode from being distributed. So the big Marvel Knights box set I bought so I could see it all gets to the 'penultimate issue' cliffhanger... and just ends. I was screaming! (Thankfully, the whole thing is on Netflix if you can sign on as a US viewer.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KayTee posted:

This was turned into a Marvel Knights animated comic and it is great - although the first 'series' is a little choppy.

Unfortunately, as the last episode features a gigantic crossover between the X-Men, the Avengers and a host of others, here in the UK some sort of copyright/ownership bollocks prevents that episode from being distributed. So the big Marvel Knights box set I bought so I could see it all gets to the 'penultimate issue' cliffhanger... and just ends. I was screaming! (Thankfully, the whole thing is on Netflix if you can sign on as a US viewer.)

loving regional rights issues!

At least you guys got the complete Tick cartoon. Of the three seasons, they only released DVDs of the first two, cut out two of the episodes (one a parody of Mole Man (though most likely because of the inclusion of Cindy Crawford) and the other a parody of Galactus), and used the syndicated edits. The UK got a complete three season box set with the original edits and not missing any episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elfface posted:

I so want the next panel to be a flashback ending with "And that how Hulk get new salad bowl!"

The eye/mouth holes would make it hard to eat salad though!

• Locked thread