Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

bman in 2288 posted:

Bigots will be bigots, I guess.

Yeah, it's pretty clear the wing-head purists don't/won't recognize they'd end up like British royals if they had their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Anoia posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear the wing-head purists don't/won't recognize they'd end up like British royals if they had their way.
I think you mean Spanish, who managed to breed their royal family to extinction in the 18th century. The British royals have certainly done their share of marrying cousins, but at least they're still genetically viable.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just caught up with the LP, and I must say that the music is some of the best music in a JRPG that I've ever heard. I'm surprised at how good it is.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

thetoughestbean posted:

I just caught up with the LP, and I must say that the music is some of the best music in a JRPG that I've ever heard. I'm surprised at how good it is.

The music is so good that they are using it as background music in the wonderful 13th Age LP currently going on, thread by General Ironicus. Unfortunately you can't look it up without lots of spoilers on youtube.

Glazius posted:

Man, that assassin doesn't really pay very close attention to anything, does she?

"WELCOME CROSSBREED CHILD. I AM THE SPIRIT OF YOUR MOST ANCESTOR. PLEASE CONTINUE THIS CROSSBREEDING AS IT REPRESENTS THE ONLY HOPE FOR SURVIVAL OF OUR PEOPLE."

"Filthy crossbreed! Die like the beast you are!"

I think it would take more than a talking wall to uproot deep seated racism and superiority beliefs. Probably do more harm than good really. 'Well the talking wall says racial purity is a bad thing!'

I am dying, thread is not. Normal apologies for delays etc etc.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

thetoughestbean posted:

Some of the battle themes are really good and I find myself listening to them often.

Regarding character development, I don't think it's been mentioned yet - either that or I missed it - but a lot of the characters comment on quests you can pick up from nammed npcs and are fairly interesting. Of course you wouldn't know that unless you looked it up, unfortunately, because specific characters comment on specific quests. I thought it was a really neat thing.

I also agree with the 'gently caress the High Entia tomb' sentiment, because I'm playing through the game while going for 100% completion, and that place is just really boring. Cool looking, but hella boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reoxygenation posted:

I'm playing through the game while going for 100% completion

God drat, that's some serious masochism right there :magical:. High Entia's really not so bad, if only because it's not too long. The boss kicked the poo poo out of me and I ended up putting the game down for a month or two because of it. Funny thing is that when I came back to it I only needed to grind out two levels on sidequests to return the favour.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God drat, that's some serious masochism right there :magical:. High Entia's really not so bad, if only because it's not too long. The boss kicked the poo poo out of me and I ended up putting the game down for a month or two because of it. Funny thing is that when I came back to it I only needed to grind out two levels on sidequests to return the favour.

I really love the game and it plays very smoothly for me. Some quests are a bit bothersome and grindy, but it's been a very fun experience overall, and save the Challenge Quests and Collection ones, there hasn't been a quest I haven't liked so far.

I definitely agree about the tomb though, mainly hate because of the navigation in that place, its worse than some of the bigger areas.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 9, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Reoxygenation posted:

I also agree with the 'gently caress the High Entia tomb' sentiment, because I'm playing through the game while going for 100% completion, and that place is just really boring. Cool looking, but hella boring.

Ye gods, don't hurt yourself in the process! As much as I loved this game, I recently sold my copy to prevent myself from succumbing to urges to replay and 100% it. See, during my first playthrough I kept telling myself I'd come back and 100% the game on New Game+. But, as I progressed and the game's depth became apparent, that option seemed more and more unlikely. It's still one of the best RPGs I've played, but I just don't have the free time to replay it extensively.

So, uh, best of luck to you!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 19, 2014

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I never knew about that secret area :aaa:

Regarding the AI, shulk and Melia are the worst offenders of those time sensitive moments; Melia's AI is just straight up trash, and Shulk is just much better when a player uses him, especially when you need Monado skills, because otherwise it's not that bad with the back/side attacks. Sharla and Riki aren't that bad, though, mostly because you can set Sharla's skillset to full support, and Riki's skills are straight foward. Not that it matters anyway, because on strong enemies you should use linked attacks, and when you figure out how to use them they're stupidly powerful.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Not gonna lie, adding a large extra hidden area and putting nothing in there is the worst thing.

The worst thing.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Well it's an affinity coin :v: Can't really argue with that, affinity coins are always useful.

e: I just remembered, that ledge you went down and that had nothing; there is something there, but you can only access it much later and it's entirely optional.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 20, 2014

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I vaguely remember that there were some kind of really powerfull glasses in the hidden area.
Might have been the other one.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Reoxygenation posted:

Well it's an affinity coin :v: Can't really argue with that, affinity coins are always useful.

e: I just remembered, that ledge you went down and that had nothing; there is something there, but you can only access it much later and it's entirely optional.

The same can also be said of the first treasury.

Also, I couldn't catch it on the high-speed video, but the structure in the middle of that hidden room can be opened like a treasure chest. It's one of a handful of fixed chests (as opposed to enemy-drop chests) throughout the game.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Vil posted:

The same can also be said of the first treasury.

Also, I couldn't catch it on the high-speed video, but the structure in the middle of that hidden room can be opened like a treasure chest. It's one of a handful of fixed chests (as opposed to enemy-drop chests) throughout the game.

I tried and I couldn't get the drat thing to open. I decided the area was cursed and ran away!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Lethemonster handled that boss fight easily. The first time I played it, I got screwed. My party was Shulk, Melia and Sharla, and I got stuck in a loop where Shulk didn't have enough Monado charge to remove the Telethia's Aura seal, nor could he build it up attacking the High Entia assassin, so I was screwed for that fight and couldn't do anything. I had to laugh at myself.

Lethemonster posted:

I tried and I couldn't get the drat thing to open. I decided the area was cursed and ran away!

Argh. That has the ultimate upgrade for Melia's most damaging spell - Summon Bolt. It's really really useful.

Luckily, once the plot lets you re-enter (which shouldn't be too long) you can use the landmark system to teleport right into the Tomb nearby to get it, so you can't complain about having to wander back out of there.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 20, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
When I first played this boss fight I was using Dunban, Shulk, and Riki, and I hadn't quite kenned to the fact that the assassin wouldn't take damage from the Monado, so that was a bit disheartening.

Of course, the fact that Dunban managed to solo the assassin immediately afterwards was much the opposite. :black101: So, overall, it wasn't a very troublesome fight.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

This is commentary free because there are lots of pretty things to look at and MORE PLOT.

It thickens.

Edit: fixed to the non mono version. Also watch it through Polsy, the related videos are really hosed up???

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 21, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Sound's only coming from one channel there.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Sound's only coming from one channel there.

Ahh thank you. I can never hear that and having no commentary means it didn't get mono'ed. :(

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even though Melia was in your party before, and you could change her weapon and maybe some other gear, you were not allowed to remove her hat - making this the first possible time you could see her headwings.

I'm not sure if you've recorded much further ahead, but please try using Melia for a bit (although Prison Island is of course better with Shulk leading).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Even though Melia was in your party before, and you could change her weapon and maybe some other gear, you were not allowed to remove her hat - making this the first possible time you could see her headwings.

I'm not sure if you've recorded much further ahead, but please try using Melia for a bit (although Prison Island is of course better with Shulk leading).

That was one of the really nice things I enjoyed about Xenoblade: its commitment to its narrative conceits. The audience clearly knows Melia is not human by the point she becomes playable, but the characters don't, so you can't change her head equipment because it would be one of those rare inward breaks in the fourth wall between you and the characters.

One of the few other games I've seen do that is FFXIII right at the beginning where Vanille has 3 ATB slots instead of 2 because she's already a l'Cie unbeknownst to everyone else. The rest of the game is poo poo, but I always admired that little bit of it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, if they've been doing the two-consort thing for generations, how is it that they just now produced a hybrid heir?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sindai posted:

Wait, if they've been doing the two-consort thing for generations, how is it that they just now produced a hybrid heir?

One is pure-blood High Entia, the other is a hybrid. Melia isn't the first hybrid, she's simply the first one considered "good enough" for whatever weird Darwinist bullshit plot the High Entia have been working towards up till now. Traditionally, the heir is provided through the pure-blood consort. This is the first case of the reigning emperor choosing the hybrid heir presumptive over the pure-blood heir apparent.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2014

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If there's something I like in Alcamoth, it's the music. It doesn't excuse the place being huge but empty (oh my god is questing in Alcamoth boring) but the music's good..

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Reoxygenation posted:

If there's something I like in Alcamoth, it's the music. It doesn't excuse the place being huge but empty (oh my god is questing in Alcamoth boring) but the music's good..

Yeah, it's very pretty all around, but could stand to be half the size. The huge halls and walkways are impressive the first time, then it's just torture. But hey, at least it's not all shades of beige! :v:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
So his destiny (and death) are already decided, but haven't the group with the Monado been able to get past that and save people before?

Somehow, Alvin and the emperor hadn't learned that small detail...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Alavaria posted:

So his destiny (and death) are already decided, but haven't the group with the Monado been able to get past that and save people before?

Somehow, Alvin and the emperor hadn't learned that small detail...
Alvis' future-reading works differently than Shulk's. Alvis has to work to see the future, like in the divination ritual mentioned in the video and shown last video. It just comes in flashes of inspiration to Shulk. Shulk has had many opportunities "in the moment" to change how the visions play out, which Alvis never had.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

JT Jag posted:

Alvis' future-reading works differently than Shulk's. Alvis has to work to see the future, like in the divination ritual mentioned in the video and shown last video. It just comes in flashes of inspiration to Shulk. Shulk has had many opportunities "in the moment" to change how the visions play out, which Alvis never had.

Don't Alvis' and Shulk's visions have the same origin, namely the Monado? It would be strange if Shulk's visions avoided predestination but Alvis' showed an immutable future.
I think those visions are simply what path the future will take without interference, and the information allows the seer to choose a different path if he so wishes. If my interpretation is accurate, the emperor is thinking that his fate is sealed because he is not willing to deviate from the current path, and his life is simply not that important in the grand scheme of things, compared to say Melia's and party.

As to why he's not telling the party? Part pride, he is an emperor after all, part how the hell do you tell your daughter "Hey sweetie I'm going to get killed but it's cool I must go there anyway". She'd lock him in the palace within five minutes.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013
I don't think I will ever get used to "Metal" Face...

So the Emperor is off of to commit suicide by proxy...While I understand that his people and the Bionis as a whole come first for him, leaving the throne to what amounts to a 17 year old girl seems unwise.
Especially with Lorithia around who was involved in the assassination attempt.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Omobono posted:

Don't Alvis' and Shulk's visions have the same origin, namely the Monado? It would be strange if Shulk's visions avoided predestination but Alvis' showed an immutable future.

In fact, in the "1 Month ago" flashback, Alvis specifically said "The vision is a sign. By your will, it can be changed."

I think the Emperor decided to go partly out of curiosity, and partly out of trust in Shulk.

Ashram posted:

I don't think I will ever get used to "Metal" Face...

It does sound a bit silly, but Leaving it as the original "Black Face" wouldn't have been wise.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 21, 2014

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In fact, in the "1 Month ago" flashback, Alvis specifically said "The vision is a sign. By your will, it can be changed."

I think the Emperor decided to go partly out of curiosity, and partly out of trust in Shulk.
One wonders if he was trying to be clever and thought that if he went by himself it would be ok, since the vision showed several members of the party.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

: Wow, riki! Great machine! Is it all made from wood?
: Tut tut tut. Shulk say wrong word. This not machine!

: Yay! Shulk right! Machine has metal. Nopon device use no metal, so not called machine.
: No that I think, I haven’t noticed a lot of metal in the village.
: Riki and Nopon at one with the forest. If forest not have metal, Nopon not use metal.

: Grr… Shulk too clever for Riki. Too much of big brain Hom Hom.
: I’ve seen a lot of Makna Forest. Some of these parts don’t really look like they came from there.
: Bellows held together with veeery strong rope given by Bird People. And Hom Hom teach us use oil to make motion smooth. Device go round and round with only small amount of energy!

: Nopon live all over Bionis. Here, there, everywhere. Nopon see new things, bring new things back to village.
: I love it. It’s a great design. Mixing foreign and Nopon technology… It’s brilliant! I’m really impressed, Riki.

Now we go back to the second choice, and choose the other option.

: Long, long time ago, Nopon make many, many things.
: I’m impressed. I’d love to know more about these pollen orbs, too. They light up and produce heat, but they never burn up.
: Yellow and blue orbs are safe to eat. But red one… not so safe…
: I saw a red one by the lift. It looked tasty enough.
: Shulk want to eat red one? Riki not like red ones… Riki’s stomach go thump thump, then squeal squeal. If Shulk eat and finish whole red one, Riki give Shulk medal!
: Sounds like a challenge to me!
: Riki no need red orb anyway. Oka make yummy food for Riki!
(Oka is Riki’s wife)

: Maybe I need to eat more orbs…

Now we go back to the beginning again, and talk about Mechons instead.

: Wow, riki! Great machine! Is it all made from wood?
: Tut tut tut. Shulk say wrong word. This not machine!

: Mechon? What about Mechon? No Mechon in village…
: The Mechon are evil machines. I thought that might be the reason.

: OK, my mistake. I guess nothing scared Heropon Riki, huh?
: Is Shulk scared of Mechon?

I actually choose ‘Not a chance’ for this one, but do so too quickly to get a screenshot of it highlighted!

: Wow! Shulk really brave! Riki’s friends really brave. Riki proud. Everyone should be Heropon!
: I just can’t forget what happened to Fiora. And it’s all the Mechon’s fault…
: Hello hello Shulk? Riki being nice so listen to Riki! Is Shulk angry?
: Wh-what? Oh, sorry, Riki. I’m not angry at you. Listen. You’re the bravest, toughest Heropon I’ve ever known.
: Shulk really think Riki brave? Shulk right! Riki is brave! He-ro-pon! He-ro-pon! He-ro-pon!
: Yes, Riki. Calm down. But you know what? I really will need you out there.

Let’s go back one last time, but be more honest about how we feel regarding the Mechons.

: Shulk scared? Wow… Riki think Shulk not afraid because Shulk has Monado. Riki have big fear – Oka! Oka scariest in whole world.
: I know how you feel. When Fiora gets angry, I duck for cover.

: Hello? Shulk? Eyes of Shulk get watery. Why?
: I’m OK… It’s fine. I’m not crying.
: Shulk strong Hom Hom, but Riki know Shulk still young boy really. If Shulk want to cry, Riki lend Shulk his fur! Shulk cry boo-hoo lots and lots.
: Your fur? Thank, Riki… I guess.
: So if I feel sad we can hug it out, right? A real Hom Hom hug!

: Cuddle for Melly only. Melly special! Riki not cuddle with guys.
: No fair! I wanna know how soft and cuddly your fur REALLY is!

And with that we have finished the Heart to Heart.
This one feels very much like it was written by the B-team script writers, but it has some interesting ideas in there. Shulk refers to Fiora in the present – as though she is still alive. He also brings up Fiora when Riki talks about his wife.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Regarding Shulk talking about Fiora in the present tense... That's a thing that screws with me every time I play Xenoblade: save for when Shulk was found with the Monado 14 years ago, and when Alvis showed the emperor the future, there's literally no mention of time passing by in the actual story, and it's kind of weird (except if you're talking about the distant past, when the Bionis and Mechonis fought). It just throws me off a lot. Like Colony 9 -> Frontier village isn't THAT long in terms of actual gameplay, but if you look at where they are on the Bionis there's a fair distance between both of them.

I dunno, not exactly ranting, I just think it's weird.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Reoxygenation posted:

Regarding Shulk talking about Fiora in the present tense... That's a thing that screws with me every time I play Xenoblade: save for when Shulk was found with the Monado 14 years ago, and when Alvis showed the emperor the future, there's literally no mention of time passing by in the actual story, and it's kind of weird (except if you're talking about the distant past, when the Bionis and Mechonis fought). It just throws me off a lot. Like Colony 9 -> Frontier village isn't THAT long in terms of actual gameplay, but if you look at where they are on the Bionis there's a fair distance between both of them.

I dunno, not exactly ranting, I just think it's weird.

I've definitely felt that with this game as well, but I think it's endemic to all videogames (or at least RPGs). It's the whole "we have to stop the villain who's going to fire the doomsday cannon any day now buuuuuuuuuuuut we better do all these sidequests first" conundrum, which I've always chalked up to games just being games.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I hope you guys feel special. Next update is a mind blower!

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Just caught up with the current update. Have to say, the typical JRPG tropes are both upheld and deconstructed so much that I can't quite anticipate what's going to happen next.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm biding my time waiting for the next update. Even if I hadn't played the game before, it's obvious that poo poo Is Going To Go Down with all the foreshadowing of how important this place is.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Vil posted:

I'm biding my time waiting for the next update. Even if I hadn't played the game before, it's obvious that poo poo Is Going To Go Down with all the foreshadowing of how important this place is.

Prison Island is REALLY loving important, and one of my favorite places in the game. Frontier Village still has the number 1 spot on that list though :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I started a second playthrough because of this LP, but I stopped soon after reaching this point. I should pick it up again soon if I want to keep ahead of the LP.

• Locked thread