Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I should buy a rover and put it into one of our mass specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I am thinking about offloading my 4000007 Ole Kirks House Set, to potential fund a new laptop purchase or maybe for Meatlbears pirate ship, when that comes out.

What do you all think is a fair asking price for that set? I have checked around a bit and have seen everything from $250-$500 and everything in between.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rythe posted:

So I am thinking about offloading my 4000007 Ole Kirks House Set, to potential fund a new laptop purchase or maybe for Meatlbears pirate ship, when that comes out.

What do you all think is a fair asking price for that set? I have checked around a bit and have seen everything from $250-$500 and everything in between.

If thats what they're going for then unload it for whatever the market will buy it at. I'd say start the bidding at $200 and see where it goes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Merchant of Death posted:

The new Maersk ship has 134 stickers. http://i.imgur.com/t0UvK8O.jpg insanity.

Those 2H star wars sets are tempting me too, I don't have a B-wing and the Cantina sounds good I think they only did it once before should be a good source for star wars aliens.

Just ordered the Tower Bridge. These big sets are awesome :neckbeard:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rythe posted:

Too rich for me, but I was just looking up the instructions and at times it seems like Lego just wanted to troll their employees with that set. Like a lot of steps would add only two or three pieces, like a 1x1 technic brick with a half pin. I'm certain the last 7 steps from 85 to 91 were just trolling, the windows clipped onto the roof are each made of the exact same four pieces, and every window has it's own separate step. WTF Lego?

Unrelated news, I was at the Lego aisle in walmart last night, and I had to walk past an ~8yr old kid with his parents. As I browsed the aisle I kept hearing his Mom being very loud and making fun of the kid saying stuff like "look at his royal highness he's too good for these blocks" and "how many times do I have to say you cant have legos?" As soon as they left I noticed they were standing in front of a bunch of "Kid Connection" sets, every set was on clearance for less than $5, maybe they are decent knocks offs but with box art like this, I feel really bad for that kid.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 19, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

That helicopter only had like 2 studs holding the bottom of the canopy to the rest of the body.the front falls off constantly.

I like military sets. I can't get that fix from lego... don't judge me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Colonel Sanders posted:

Too rich for me, but I was just looking up the instructions and at times it seems like Lego just wanted to troll their employees with that set. Like a lot of steps would add only two or three pieces, like a 1x1 technic brick with a half pin. I'm certain the last 7 steps from 85 to 91 were just trolling, the windows clipped onto the roof are each made of the exact same four pieces, and every window has it's own separate step. WTF Lego?

Strange. I've seen that in the ages 5-12 City sets, but Ole Kirk is tagged as 10+.

(I like the Great Vehicles sets but you sure do feel a lot more like you are playing with a kids toy, compared to the Architecture series or the Modular Buildings. They do that thing with only adding a single piece, and the last set I built had 3 numbered bags for a set with 326 pieces.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 20, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I understand why parents buy their kids poo poo like Mega Bloks and Kreo but is their any reason why adults seem to enjoy them too?

Has anyone ever seriously considered them better than Lego?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

PriorMarcus posted:

I understand why parents buy their kids poo poo like Mega Bloks and Kreo but is their any reason why adults seem to enjoy them too?

Megabloks has the Halo license, Kreo has the Transformers license. Manchildren like both of these things.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Merchant of Death posted:

I pulled out some 20+ year old figures I have and compared them to CMF 10 and some from LOTR. The plastic doesn't feel close to the same quality as the ones that they are putting in sets now. Comparing bricks, yellow bricks seem to be the worst offender they are noticeably different in the way the plastic feels.

I just got the Superman/Zod set that comes with a yellow car, and... the plastic quality is pretty noticeable.

I pick up the occasional set now and then, but man... :smith:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tanith posted:

Megabloks has the Halo license, Kreo has the Transformers license. Manchildren like both of these things.

I agree that the licensing makes them seem much more legit. And there's really no particular reason they should be crappy, except that they always have been.

What's the quality like on those Nanoblocks?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Absolutely loving abysmal.

Or rather, I guess the actual plastic quality is okay, but the design of the blocks themselves is terrible. They don't fit together well, they fall apart easily, and the instructions are often unclear and incoherent. Not even close to Lego.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

smackfu posted:

I agree that the licensing makes them seem much more legit. And there's really no particular reason they should be crappy, except that they always have been.

I haven't bought any, but most reviews I've seen of Nanoblocks include that they have pretty poor clutch and they're incredibly fiddly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mega Blocks also has Call of Duty.

http://brickultra.com/mega-bloks-call-of-duty-sets/

I was seriously tempted in target the other day.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012

Pyroclastic posted:

I haven't bought any, but most reviews I've seen of Nanoblocks include that they have pretty poor clutch and they're incredibly fiddly.

Nanoblocks are fun, but yes, bleeding fingertips fiddly. I got a Lego Big Ben and a Nanoblocks Taj Mahal last Christmas, and whereas the Lego set took a couple of minutes to turn into a handsome-looking model, the Nanoblocks set took over an hour and resulted in hand cramps and bruised fingers. The models do look good though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

riversarl posted:

Nanoblocks are fun, but yes, bleeding fingertips fiddly. I got a Lego Big Ben and a Nanoblocks Taj Mahal last Christmas, and whereas the Lego set took a couple of minutes to turn into a handsome-looking model, the Nanoblocks set took over an hour and resulted in hand cramps and bruised fingers. The models do look good though.

I've got a bunch of nanoblocks, including some of the large sets and I really like them. They do fall apart easily because they like to use the 1x1 blocks for support pieces. Either way I like them a lot due to the round shapes that are doable with many small squares. And yes, some of the steps are fingernail dullingly painful.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Do Lego store employees work off of commission at all?

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Megabloks used to put out a lot of cool models. I have a 4 foot aircraft carrier that is really solid and badass. A big Abrams tank. Jet fighter. Huge Helicopter. They obviously have some issues staying together, but it's like the 90s model team sets.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
In related news, they should bring back Model Team.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
With Lego, you always get the joy of taking all these little bits and building them into something outstanding when it's done. I think Mega Blocks seems to have more in common with action figures than brick-based stuff, but they do get some pretty great licenses. For instance, they have the Power Rangers license, which is a tragedy -- I haven't watched Power Rangers in forever, but it was a huge part of my childhood, and if Lego ever came out with a high quality exclusive version of the first Megazord, nothing could keep me from it.

Something's janky about the other brick stuff. Apparently there's a no-name brick company that produces WWE Lego-like sets. This makes me really, really, really want Lego to come up with their own batshit wacky wrestling line, because that just seems magical (and a fine idea for a minifigure series, too).

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

smackfu posted:

I was exposed to Nanoblocks for the first time this Christmas, when someone got me the Shuttle set as a gift.

It makes a good display piece but I'm convinced that Nanoblocks are a form of discipline, or that they're trying to teach you that you must suffer for your art. The pieces are tiny and there's a lot of 1x1 stud construction (the solid rocket boosters are just stacks of them). The build process was incredibly tedious, repetitive and plain un-fun.

In the end I was building out of spite and because I just wanted it to be over. I wouldn't recommend Nanoblocks to anyone and I think they might constitute some form of cruel and unusual punishment.

To balance things out, I also got the Lego Treehouse as a gift, which looks great and was fun to build.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Snagged the Attack of the Worgs set on clearance tonight at Target, bummed I passed on the Sith ship last week cause it's long gone.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rythe posted:

Do Lego store employees work off of commission at all?

No, they do not.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I got a nanoblocks Kinkaku-ji for Christmas. While the assembly was tricky, I didn't find it painfully so. Maybe because I'm used to Warhammer model assembly, maybe because I don't have sausage fingers, I don't know. It's a nice display piece, though, and not too fragile (except for the phoenix on the roof).

edit:

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 21, 2014

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
When visiting the Lego store on the weekend I reached the following conclusions:

* Simpson house is much better and more impressive in person. Yeah the figures look goofy, but the house itself is really impressive. It's also going to be pretty drat popular.
* Parisian restaraunt is just plain gorgeous. It may be my first modular.
* I have hated brick built trees in every set I've built that has them. The standard green foilage thing is my least favourite piece. As a result the Ewok Tree Villaige is pretty much my Lego nightmare made real.
* Not into Technic, but drat that new Cargo Plane looks impressive.
* Chima has at least as much shelf/display space as Star Wars. Far more than Ninjago ever had.

I ended up just buying the Melting Room movie set and a couple of minifigs (2 bad cops, gave one to a friend).

PriorMarcus posted:

"Better" can mean a lot of things. To a massive Dr Who fan a Character-Building Dr Who set might be better than a Lego Star Wars set. Quality probably won't factor into that.

Keep in mind that outside the AFOL community Lego or people who are nostalgic about it, it's just a toy like any other. I might occasionally by an action figure from a show or movie I like. When I do I honestly have no idea if there are adult action figure fans thinking "OMG I can't believe he bought a Brand X figure, doesn't he know they're poo poo compared to Brand Y"? Nope... don't know, don't care. It's just a chunk of plastic I thought would be fun to have on my desk.

On a related note I got my kid a megablocks Skylanders set because it was like 75%. Quality was so-so, obviously sub-lego, but the instructions... my god they were terrible. I hadn't up until that moment fully appreciated just how good Lego instructions are and how much work goes into them. They've been refined to the point where they blur the line between design and art (in the way that something like the London Underground map does).

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think the thing that annoys me about eg Mega Bloks is how little building is involved. So many pieces are just giant molded items that would be brick-built in LEGO. Look at the WoW line in particular.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Why would you have the call of duty license but not actually make the cool poo poo from the game and actual characters? You might as well call that the CORPS playset megablox line.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gravy Jones posted:

"Better" can mean a lot of things. To a massive Dr Who fan a Character-Building Dr Who set might be better than a Lego Star Wars set. Quality probably won't factor into that.

It bothers me how rubbish the Doctor Who CB sets are. The console room being 90% yellow and brown being a particular example. So hideous.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

On a related note I got my kid a megablocks Skylanders set because it was like 75%. Quality was so-so, obviously sub-lego, but the instructions... my god they were terrible. I hadn't up until that moment fully appreciated just how good Lego instructions are and how much work goes into them. They've been refined to the point where they blur the line between design and art (in the way that something like the London Underground map does).

Yeah, lots of little touches too. Like it's very rare for Lego to use the same piece in similar colors (like grey and dark grey or dark grey and black), since it's hard to tell them apart in the instructions. You don't particularly realize it when you are building it, but someone tweaked the build to clear up that possible confusion.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
London Toy Fair set details (but no pics) are coming through: http://brickfanatics.co.uk/london-toy-fair-report/

New Agents! Yay. Hope the mobile HQ is designed by Mark Stafford again.

The_Doctor posted:

It bothers me how rubbish the Doctor Who CB sets are. The console room being 90% yellow and brown being a particular example. So hideous.

My example didn't account for someone who was a massive Doctor Who fan and a massive Lego fan!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

When visiting the Lego store on the weekend I reached the following conclusions:

* Simpson house is much better and more impressive in person. Yeah the figures look goofy, but the house itself is really impressive. It's also going to be pretty drat popular.
* Parisian restaraunt is just plain gorgeous. It may be my first modular.
* I have hated brick built trees in every set I've built that has them. The standard green foilage thing is my least favourite piece. As a result the Ewok Tree Villaige is pretty much my Lego nightmare made real.
* Not into Technic, but drat that new Cargo Plane looks impressive.
* Chima has at least as much shelf/display space as Star Wars. Far more than Ninjago ever had.

I ended up just buying the Melting Room movie set and a couple of minifigs (2 bad cops, gave one to a friend).

Keep in mind that outside the AFOL community Lego or people who are nostalgic about it, it's just a toy like any other. I might occasionally by an action figure from a show or movie I like. When I do I honestly have no idea if there are adult action figure fans thinking "OMG I can't believe he bought a Brand X figure, doesn't he know they're poo poo compared to Brand Y"? Nope... don't know, don't care. It's just a chunk of plastic I thought would be fun to have on my desk.

The Simspons characters. . . I haven't seen them in person but I fell like they could have been much better if they just kept standard heads and added a pattern, like just a line instead of actual triangular hair for Bart.

As for Mega Bloks, for me it's all about the quality. I have only purchased two Mega Bloks sets, I believe it was sometime between '95-'00 when I purchased my first ever Mega Blocks set- a big space shuttle. I had always lusted over a Lego shuttle but could never manage to hold onto my allowance long enough to get one, so when I saw that I could actually afford this shuttle and it was lower cost per piece than Lego I simply had to buy it. I wasn't able to find pictures of this set, but it is different than the latest Mega Bloks shuttle. This one was much more simple, it was made almost entirely out of basic bricks. Every loving time I tried to add another piece I had to sort through the pile of identical bricks until I could find the piece that would mate with whatever I was attaching it to, a lot of points I had to simply compromise and put a "loose" brick next to a "tight" brick in hopes that it would stay together. I spent soo much more time putting that piece of poo poo back together than playing with it. Also, it had a giant like 6 x 10 x 3 brick for the engines with 3 lights in a triangular fashion to attach these ugly trans-red cones and you pushed a button to make them flash, the piece had no other decent use that I could think of. I mean if Lego did a light up element on a set, they would give you a battery box, and a the lights were all on wires, you could add more lights or move them around to better locations, this thing was only useful as rocket booster.

Soon after, I found myself once again in TRU, I saw another Mega Blocks set and juvenile me only saw dollar signs. It was a moon base or mars base, it had a huge gray baseplate like this one (but gray) and that loving thing was pure garbage. It must have weighed like 3 pounds, the edges were all curvy so forget putting another baseplate beside it, and the areas with studs all had awkward shapes so it was just a bitch to build anything on it. Besides the baseplate, this new Mega Bloks set had even crappier quality than the first! Not only did I have pieces that would fit really loose, I had pieces that were impossible to separate without a knife. It felt like I was going to have to line up a piece and then take a hammer to tap them together to never be separated again. If the fit wasn't bad enough, this new set introduced plates that were 1/2 brick instead of 1/3, gently caress you Mega Bloks! These completely incompatible 1/2 plates also had a bottom side that was incompatible with Lego.

Every single time I went to play with my bricks step 1 was to toss the big gray monstrosity aside and hope I didn't see it again. As soon as I even looked at the big ugly rocket-booster light brick it would only bring back memories of that piece of poo poo crumbling under it's own weight. I tried so many times to throw those pieces out, every time my Mom would dig them out and be like "but it's a Lego" and I would go on a juvenile tirade about the difference between Lego and Mega Bloks and how much I hated those particular pieces and the memories, and every time they would just end up right back in my collection. I tried so hard to get rid of those damned pieces. . . I hid them in the trash can, I buried them in my yard, I still hate those damned bricks to this day. I simply can not convince myself to buy Mega Bloks today. Even if the quality has improved, I can not rid myself of those child hood nightmares. The Call of Duty line seems neat at first, but is overall pretty bad in my opinion. A hummer is Army not Call of Duty, they are just attaching a big name to a military set and hoping spoiled kids will buy them up.

TLDR; Mega Bloks poor quality ruined my child hood. :argh:

That said, there is one brick I have found in my collection which I believe comes very close to Lego quality, I don't know what brand they are but all the studs have an anchor on them. This brand has good grip but the finish is not always consistent. Most of the bricks I have are almost indistinguishable from Lego, but some are more glossy. What might this brand me?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 21, 2014

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Orange and blue arctic theme...?

A gal can dream... :allears:

(yes yes I know it's City but still)

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

Colonel Sanders posted:

Also, it had a giant like 6 x 10 x 3 brick for the engines with 3 lights in a triangular fashion to attach these ugly trans-red cones and you pushed a button to make them flash, the piece had no other decent use that I could think of. I mean if Lego did a light up element on a set, they would give you a battery box, and a the lights were all on wires, you could add more lights or move them around to better locations, this thing was only useful as rocket booster.

Lego actually as a thing like this too!
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30351c01
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30354
Luckily they were only in two sets, and never used in actual space shuttles (which is where I thought they were used).

New Chima stuff sounds interesting, but I am really anticipating the new small ball joints coming out in the Chima beasts and Mixels sets (even though I don't build mechs like some of you).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Colonel Sanders posted:

I mean if Lego did a light up element on a set, they would give you a battery box, and a the lights were all on wires, you could add more lights or move them around to better locations, this thing was only useful as rocket booster.

Only useful as a dumb laser thing.

Only useful as a goofy bug rear end that makes way too much loving noise.

e: Rock Raiders ruled and that laser thing ruled and went on many lovely mechs I made as a 12 year old, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tkytko posted:

Luckily they were only in two sets, and never used in actual space shuttles (which is where I thought they were used).

I actually have one of those, the set itself wasn't that bad, though it suffers from the flaws that a log of lego sets of that era had.. too many large special pieces, not enough actual building. But the idea wasn't terrible, it's a modular set that breaks into three pieces (satellite, cockpit, engine). The light and sound engine is useless junk.. all it's good for is scaring the poo poo out of my cats when I accidentally hit one of the buttons. They can be conked out on the other side of the apartment, dead to the world but if that engine fires up they wanna know what the gently caress is going on.

The minifig that came with it has a really cool visor too.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Tkytko posted:

Lego actually as a thing like this too!

Say it ain't so Lego! Was that during the late 90s when Lego was junuor-izing everythig? Those were dark times for Lego. . .

Tkytko posted:

New Chima stuff sounds interesting, but I am really anticipating the new small ball joints coming out in the Chima beasts and Mixels sets (even though I don't build mechs like some of you).

I too dont build mechs but love ball joints, every space ship needs a cool robotic arm thing.

MichaelFlatley
Nov 11, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

Orange and blue arctic theme...?

A gal can dream... :allears:

(yes yes I know it's City but still)

Yes, a land-based version of this (and a similar logo), but with super cute Lego huskies.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Sockser posted:

Only useful as a goofy bug rear end that makes way too much loving noise.

This goofy bug rear end was the best thing ever and you'd better not be trying to start trouble over it. :colbert:

(I wonder if mine still has batteries in it. I should probably do something about that...)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Ice Planet was the best planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do they even still use the molds for the parts for those old lego chainsaws? I haven't seen them in forever.