Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Anybody else notice that they seem to have changed Green Lantern's voicing in the Specter instance? I noticed yesterday that I was clearly hearing a different voice and slightly different lines in that instance than I had previously. Did that just happen, or has it just taken me this long to notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
They replace voice actors if someone isn't available for the new DLC and they recast with the new actor re-dubbing all the old lines.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Giedroyc posted:

They replace voice actors if someone isn't available for the new DLC and they recast with the new actor re-dubbing all the old lines.

I remember starting a new character after not playing for a while and doing the Booster Gold kiosks. It caught me by surprise when I heard the new VA, he seems a little flatter than the original.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It's there any option for base level 30 gear now that pvp gear doesn't work, or do you just have to start with the tier 1 gear that requires ~39 marks per? Also, same question, but with higher level masks/necklaces.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

MH Knights posted:

I remember starting a new character after not playing for a while and doing the Booster Gold kiosks. It caught me by surprise when I heard the new VA, he seems a little flatter than the original.

Old Booster Gold was awesome, the new one is total poo poo in comparison.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Old Booster Gold was awesome, the new one is total poo poo in comparison.

This is how I feel about the new Hal Jordan voice. It's a really flat, uninspired performance with no life or color at all.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Didn't Wonder Woman get replaced as well? Maybe they are spending most of their VA budget to keep the voices of more popular characters (Superman, Batman, and Joker) at the expense of of characters. Or they just don't have much of a budget at all anymore.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Wonder Woman got replaced by Susan Eisenberg, who voiced her in the Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited cartoon. I don't really understand why they've such a hard-on for overwriting the previous work for continuity, but hey, more power to them. I kind of liked Torres' Wonder Woman.

Word is that Michelle Forbes' Circe will be getting replaced in the first part of the War of the Amazons DLC, which is some bullshit.

It's probably not a budget reason so much as the actor they need for new content isn't available at the time they need them, so they get someone else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everybody hated Wonder Woman's voice at release, as I recall.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Wonder Woman got replaced by Susan Eisenberg, who voiced her in the Justice League and Justice League: Unlimited cartoon. I don't really understand why they've such a hard-on for overwriting the previous work for continuity, but hey, more power to them. I kind of liked Torres' Wonder Woman.

Word is that Michelle Forbes' Circe will be getting replaced in the first part of the War of the Amazons DLC, which is some bullshit.

It's probably not a budget reason so much as the actor they need for new content isn't available at the time they need them, so they get someone else.

No gently caress you, Michelle Forbes Circe is one of the best things about this game!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

No gently caress you, Michelle Forbes Circe is one of the best things about this game!

I don't think you read that right.

Aphrodite posted:

Everybody hated Wonder Woman's voice at release, as I recall.

Collective groups tend to have bad taste.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think you read that right.

Collective groups tend to have bad taste.

No, I did, and yeah, Gina Torres Wonder Woman was terrible.

I will miss Michelle Forbes Circe if they change it. :smith:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Fuzz posted:

Gina Torres Wonder Woman was terrible.

Gina Torres WW gets a pass because it's Gina loving Torres. :awesome:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Forbes' work on the VA is the best of any character, flat-out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't hate Baldwin as Superman, despite him being a little flat. But yeah, Forbes is far and away the best.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, seriously. For me, it goes:

1- Michelle Forbes Circe
2- Mark Hamill Joker
3- James Marsters Lex
4- Kevin Conroy Batman
5- Adam Baldwin Superman
6- Literally everyone else.

I still prefer the Tim Daly Superman.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Why do we think Circe's out? They just had her record new stuff for Sons of Trigon without any change.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Why do we think Circe's out? They just had her record new stuff for Sons of Trigon without any change.

Something I read, probably bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any good resource for pictures of costumes from Investigations and stuff, or do people still not care about this game?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any good resource for pictures of costumes from Investigations and stuff, or do people still not care about this game?

The wiki has some but rarer ones are missing, if you have specific pieces you wanna see I can take shots of anything my characters have (note: this is like 80+% of the items in the game).

In fact, honestly, I really should just see what I can contribute to some of those sites...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hard Light's kind of dope as gently caress. I hope Rage is as interesting from a mechanics perspective.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love hard light. Infinite combo based on your precision stat is beast, and if your "weapon" is brawling you build up power quick with no drawbacks.

I almost wish there was a real drawback to Conttoller role though, because I'll be in it for soloing because it's fantastic crowd control. But then I will get in a group and have to switch to combat role so people don't yell at me for not constantly spamming the power button.

My celestial is pretty cool too. I took it to CR 51 so far, and it's great as either a dps or healer (thanks armories!). Getting MoTs from side missions now is great; I was able to get two pieces of Tier 1 gear right when I turned 30.

I'm trying out Ice currently. Any advice? Going for dps for now but when I hit 30 I'm gonna split it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I last played Ice back at launch, but if the same stuff holds true then you want to try for a nice little rotation that will get you enough 'chill' effects for your Ice Armour as quickly as possible. I think Ice also gets a shielding talent which is pretty good for Tanking.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hard Light is seriously awesome and is the most fun of the powers that I've tried so far. After struggling my way to CR43 on a Fire tank and not really enjoying it, Hard Light DPS was a revelation.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

I almost wish there was a real drawback to Conttoller role though, because I'll be in it for soloing because it's fantastic crowd control. But then I will get in a group and have to switch to combat role so people don't yell at me for not constantly spamming the power button.

Wouldn't it be incredible if the game

A) Taught people how controllers are supposed to work or really the assumptions behind the game's combat

B) Didn't make power generation a thing that only some controller powers do

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wouldn't it be incredible if the game

A) Taught people how controllers are supposed to work or really the assumptions behind the game's combat

B) Didn't make power generation a thing that only some controller powers do

C) Was built around Controllers actually controlling instead of being power batteries

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

C) Was built around Controllers actually controlling instead of being power batteries

You can kinda do OK in my experience if you don't play assuming that you are going to get power-batteried. People really overlook what they are supposed to do with their weapons, which is understandable, because they're not motherfucking super powers. So what happens is you "learn" that you should burn your entire power supply immediately in every battle.

I had to learn how to play fire tank on the message boards. The game really skimps on teaching you any concepts and assumes you have played WoW/will learn actual game-play on the Internet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You can kinda do OK in my experience if you don't play assuming that you are going to get power-batteried. People really overlook what they are supposed to do with their weapons, which is understandable, because they're not motherfucking super powers. So what happens is you "learn" that you should burn your entire power supply immediately in every battle.

I had to learn how to play fire tank on the message boards. The game really skimps on teaching you any concepts and assumes you have played WoW/will learn actual game-play on the Internet.

I'm just still a little bitter about the Controller changes late in beta. They were originally all about crowd control in various forms, in fact at first there was no 'blue healing' abilities in the game at all. Then a couple weeks before beta ended they reworked Controllers out of the blue to have a passive always-on groupwide power regen buff in controller stance (which was hilariously broken), then about a week later changed it around to having PoT powers and a power dump. They basically neutered 'controlling' ability and invented the blue-bar-healer stuff right at the end of beta without any player suggestions for it at all.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

I'm just still a little bitter about the Controller changes late in beta. They were originally all about crowd control in various forms, in fact at first there was no 'blue healing' abilities in the game at all. Then a couple weeks before beta ended they reworked Controllers out of the blue to have a passive always-on groupwide power regen buff in controller stance (which was hilariously broken), then about a week later changed it around to having PoT powers and a power dump. They basically neutered 'controlling' ability and invented the blue-bar-healer stuff right at the end of beta without any player suggestions for it at all.

Well, given the dysfunctional ~pubbie~ environment here, I bet if Controllers were just CC nobody would pay attention to them. It'd be like 1 tank, 2 healers, and 5 DPS or bust, because pubbies. Also, CR85+ for T4 raids, lol.

The best part is how the CR needed to get into a T5 raid basically requires you to have the gear you can only get from the T5 raids. It's amazing. I thought the difficulty decrease was supposed to, you know, actually lower the CR requirement.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MJ12 posted:

Well, given the dysfunctional ~pubbie~ environment here, I bet if Controllers were just CC nobody would pay attention to them. It'd be like 1 tank, 2 healers, and 5 DPS or bust, because pubbies. Also, CR85+ for T4 raids, lol.

That's really just a result of those changes in beta, though. Nearly everyone playing then HATED the changes, but now the people still playing have this mental paradigm where Controller means 'blue bar healer' but that mindset wouldn't have developed if power dumps hadn't been added in the first place.

VVV: OK, fair enough. I still say you should just ignore those people, because gently caress them. But like you said, it's creeped into most of the playerbase. That's why I can never stick with this game long-term because once you get to the post-30 content you just cannot stay away from those people.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 21, 2014

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

That's really just a result of those changes in beta, though. Nearly everyone playing then HATED the changes, but now the people still playing have this mental paradigm where Controller means 'blue bar healer' but that mindset wouldn't have developed if power dumps hadn't been added in the first place.

What I mean is that the net result of no blue bar healing would probably be 'everyone ignores controllers because gently caress you more dps'. I mean, I have been kicked out of groups because they DEMANDED one tank and one tank only, there are those guys who are like 'solo heal' or 'solo troll', etc etc.

The pubs here are just awful about how things should be played ~Their Way~ and they shouldn't even try to adapt. Which is why I think if they weren't blue bar healers, they wouldn't care about CC. "That's the tank's job", they'll say, and then get annoyed when one tank is trying to do the CC duties of four different people, and inevitably failing at it unless they're over-CRed, and then we get things like people demanding Cr70+ for Khandaq.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Main problem with controllers is when you get one controller who knows what they're doing and one who doesn't. Since PoT's can override each other so that CR40 person in dps gear with 400 vit can spam the PoT ability and the controller with 1500 vit won't get a look in. In raid groups you need to find out who has the best vit and make them PoT, with the backup controller speccing for CC/power dump and the like.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Giedroyc posted:

Main problem with controllers is when you get one controller who knows what they're doing and one who doesn't. Since PoT's can override each other so that CR40 person in dps gear with 400 vit can spam the PoT ability and the controller with 1500 vit won't get a look in. In raid groups you need to find out who has the best vit and make them PoT, with the backup controller speccing for CC/power dump and the like.

Yeah, what exactly was the reasoning behind that decision? I guess I can see them being additive as potentially too overpowered, but to automatically override an active effect with a weaker one? Why not just have it inactive in the background and the remainder takes over when the other one ends?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MJ12 posted:

The best part is how the CR needed to get into a T5 raid basically requires you to have the gear you can only get from the T5 raids. It's amazing. I thought the difficulty decrease was supposed to, you know, actually lower the CR requirement.

Only idiots call out for that. (That said: apparently all T5 gear is just going to require CR84 to buy as of the WotL update. Including the new stuff. So you can just jump to spending Marks of Reality on the lantern gear and skip the rest if you want, and get a nifty CR boost out of it.)

We were actually discussing the power thing the other day in my league - the absolute last slot we ever try to fill with pubs is DPS just because after playing together, we know how to limit power use so the controller can do Other poo poo, but most pickup DPSes burn through power and beg for more just because they think that's How You Do It. Kinda curious if that's just a "we all play together often" thing or if it comes from doing the higher level stuff and being conscious of that fact so someone isn't miserable.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

War of the Light launches tomorrow, for Legendary only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHiLbua7ces

I'm not sure, they say 'get it early on the 22nd', and I'm assuming they mean tomorrow for that, don't have the mental fortitude to do the time zone conversion at the moment.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

War of the Light launches tomorrow, for Legendary only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHiLbua7ces

I'm not sure, they say 'get it early on the 22nd', and I'm assuming they mean tomorrow for that, don't have the mental fortitude to do the time zone conversion at the moment.

I still think they hosed up with the colors for the Heroes... considering how the Blue Lanterns work in the comics, they make soooooo much more sense as Controllers than Green Lanterns do. Oh well.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Conceptually, the Blue Lanterns occupy a support role, but in terms of practice and actual demonstrated powers I think the Green Lantern's constructs probably make a much easier built, and exciting, Controller power.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Well damnit. I am playing too many games as it is, and now more lantern stuff pops up. :smith:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Soooo is it gonna be red on heroes, too?

edit also just canceled legendary so i better make a character immediately before it lapses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Spaceman Bill posted:

Soooo is it gonna be red on heroes, too?

I haven't been following it closely so I could be wrong, but I think the Red Lanterns are supposed to sort of be straddling the lines between heroes and villains. You can be a rage-fueled hero or you can be a blood-puking villain, but both will be red.

• Locked thread