Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Anyone else immediately get this song stuck in their head at panel 7?

http://youtu.be/v2K4wJ8EmZ0?t=39s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
One thing I noticed is that the way Annie and Kat look up, the symbols are visible to them as well.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Parts Kit posted:

Yep, the little crown tends to pop up when fire elemental stuff is going on, so that's got to be what it's about.

Specifically the little crown is the alchemical symbol for "native" antimony;

LtStorm posted:

That crown is most likely this symbol;

The symbol of native antimony ("Régule d'Antimoine" in French). Native metal is metal found either pure or as an alloy rather than as an ore, in other words not requiring any purification to work.

Panel 6, I've noticed Tom has been using a different style of simplifying faces at a medium distance. He did it with Antimony once last chapter. It's a cute style and makes Kat sort of look like Cecelia from Piled Higher & Deeper.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So anyone else who played Psychonauts having a Black Velvetopia flashback?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Well now I am.

However, I noticed that you can see the sticker peeling off for the window shudder in the 6th panel. Yet the skull came out of that sticker. So there's a bit more going on that puppetry.

Also, I keep thinking I've seen that window with a writer in it somewhere before. It seems like such an odd thing that's not very Halloween-y on its own.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The webs are not purple enough. And their color scheme should have changed a bit. More like this really.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

MikeJF posted:

Yes 100%.

In other news I am fairly certain that this is the chapter where it is explicitly stated that Kat's abilities are somewhat etheric in nature. Not in the same way as Annie's of course but still there.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I, on the other hand, hope this is the chapter where it is confirmed Kat's "abilities" are 100% natural and not etheric at all, so at least one of us will be disappointed!

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
The robots worship Kat like a god, and it is implied in GC that a god imagined by a human has a profound effect on the ether. Meaning in a really strange way, Kat is not only a god and therefore now has a sphere of influence in the ether, but also the robots may be connected to the ether too...?

:psyduck:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HoboNews posted:

The robots worship Kat like a god, and it is implied in GC that a god imagined by a human has a profound effect on the ether. Meaning in a really strange way, Kat is not only a god and therefore now has a sphere of influence in the ether, but also the robots may be connected to the ether too...?

:psyduck:

Or possibly that Kat's living bio-robots from the future may be, as biological creatures, connected to the ether, and their belief may be retroactively elevating her.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

MikeJF posted:

Or possibly that Kat's living bio-robots from the future may be, as biological creatures, connected to the ether, and their belief may be retroactively elevating her.

Is it because they are technically biological creatures, or because they have a conscience, and were created by humans?
OR-:psypop:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It's nothing to do with conscience or mind. It's to do with death and being able to die. Since many people die believing a rational history one exists; and since the observed implies an observer Jones.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Prison Warden posted:

I, on the other hand, hope this is the chapter where it is confirmed Kat's "abilities" are 100% natural and not etheric at all, so at least one of us will be disappointed!

I'm not sure what the difference is.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah for rizzle, the ether is a natural part of the universe and everyone is a part of it. Like people's souls to into the ether when they die so I think it's reasonable to say that they're like the same stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah for rizzle, the ether is a natural part of the universe and everyone is a part of it. Like people's souls to into the ether when they die so I think it's reasonable to say that they're like the same stuff.
If it's not an etheric ability then Kat is Just That Smart. If it's etheric then it's more like a superpower; cool and all, but less... I don't know.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What I'm sayin is that everything is etheric because we're all etheric.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

SHISHKABOB posted:

What I'm sayin is that everything is etheric because we're all etheric.

Except Jones.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

GabrielAisling posted:

Except Jones.
Speaking of, and I know this is a random question. Rey can possess "anything with eyes". Do you think Jones' lack of etheric presence makes her an exception?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I more get the impression that the ether is a thing that is also going on, not a thing going on instead of, or the secret root cause of, science as we know it. Eglamore can jump super high because of etheric stuff, but he swordfights with regular muscles that work because of, uh, chemistry and physics and stuff, and is good at it because he's athletic and works out and practices very hard. If Kat can do crazy robot stuff because she's very smart and driven then, to me, it feels like she has more agency than if she's just all hopped up on ether juice.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 23, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JT Jag posted:

Speaking of, and I know this is a random question. Rey can possess "anything with eyes". Do you think Jones' lack of etheric presence makes her an exception?

I very much doubt a stuffed animal has any etheric presence.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Oh dang, this might be it! She isn't really psychopompy right now, but if her experiments progress and she creates biological robots that can affect the ether, then those future robots may see her as the bringer of life and death for their species. Hence why the skeleton doorkeeper doesn't recognize the symbol, her status as a psychopomp is not yet realized but she's retroactively labeled as such.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

pik_d posted:

I very much doubt a stuffed animal has any etheric presence.

But Jones might be impenetrable by any kind of energy (or X-rays) so maybe she's just immune to that kind of stuff.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I think it's just a matter of Jones being everything-proof.

I think that Kat's robot stuff is her being Just That Smart. It's the weird stuff, like Zimmy's visions and this, that indicate etheric stuff, if not being done by her, is happening around/to her.

Fake edit: Let me try to say this in less confusing way. She doesn't have powers or anything (right now...), she's just operating on her non-etheric talents at the moment. She is tied into etheric stuff right now, but not as an active party. It's just happening around/to her.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

GabrielAisling posted:

Except Jones.

We know that the ether doesn't affect jones or that she doesn't have a presence in it, but also kat can't influence he ether but we know that all humans go into the ether when they die. We can also make the guess or assumption that jones was created by the ether in the same idea as coyote talks about???

So I mean I'm just sayin that the ether is like energy in a physics sense?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I personally doubt anyone could be that smart naturally. She can read impossible machine code, after all. Plus it's very obvious that she's going to at least some day be more than human. Zimmy doesn't see her like that for nothing.

Plus, really, as I've said, I'm starting to doubt the court has a single "normal" student.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

M.c.P posted:

With the way skull secretary is being drawn, I think both eyes are squinting and opening, and the pupils are doing some crazy bouncing around.

This is important to me.

I think you might be seeing what I'm seeing...which is Morte from Planescape Torment:

Took me forever to figure out why it seemed so familiar..

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Kennel already did that.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

reignonyourparade posted:

Kennel already did that.

drat..I saw that and somehow didn't make the initial connection :psyduck:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Lurdiak posted:

I personally doubt anyone could be that smart naturally.

Why?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Because she is reading partially etheric computer source code compressed into a cube because no human writing can contain the robotic code correctly.

It's not that she's 'just' building hover machines and poo poo, she's literally able to read something that isn't readable.

She's either etherically-gifted with it, or she's a robot herself (and she's been growing and ya know, we've never gotten a single hint to her being robotic.)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

KittyEmpress posted:

She's either etherically-gifted with it, or she's a robot herself (and she's been growing and ya know, we've never gotten a single hint to her being robotic.)

Would a robot grow her hair? Kat has gotten several onscreen haircuts and her hair always grow back. She's a normal little girl.

Now Annie on the other hand, she never got any on-screen haircut... But we do see she uses makeup to disguise the imperfection in her skin-imitation covering because she definitely is a robot, just like Jones.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Took me forever to figure out why it seemed so familiar..

Personally, he reminds me of someone else...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cat Mattress posted:

Would a robot grow her hair? Kat has gotten several onscreen haircuts and her hair always grow back. She's a normal little girl.

Now Annie on the other hand, she never got any on-screen haircut... But we do see she uses makeup to disguise the imperfection in her skin-imitation covering because she definitely is a robot, just like Jones.

Everyone in Gunnerkrigg Court is a robot.

Except Mort.

Mort is a ghost of a robot.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Personally, he reminds me of someone else...

Oh man you're right, I was totally thinking of the wrong Lucasarts game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Kat could be an etheric robot. That grows. Hair too. With the ether, anything is possible! :yayclod:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Warmachine posted:

With the ether, anything is possible! :yayclod:

It's etheric! I ain't gotta explain poo poo!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

IUG posted:

Also, I keep thinking I've seen that window with a writer in it somewhere before. It seems like such an odd thing that's not very Halloween-y on its own.

It reminds me of Andrew Hussie's self-insertion interludes.

So clearly Tom is back there, and the reason they have to put fake spiders out in the hall is that all the real ones are drawn to him. :v:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I swear to god if this turns into Battlestar Galactica.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

I swear to god if this turns into Battlestar Galactica.

Well, it's well on its way to acquiring Cylons. All we need is a revelation that Antimony has been dead the whole time, Kat to get really fat for a few chapters, and something something abandon the court and go to London. :bsg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Portals posted:

Oh dang, this might be it! She isn't really psychopompy right now, but if her experiments progress and she creates biological robots that can affect the ether, then those future robots may see her as the bringer of life and death for their species. Hence why the skeleton doorkeeper doesn't recognize the symbol, her status as a psychopomp is not yet realized but she's retroactively labeled as such.

The apotheosis of Katerina Donlan took place over the course of several years during the late '00s and early '10s.

The skeleton doorman does not remember it, because back then it was only a prophecy.

But now, in the future, the past has occurred.