Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Wow. Maybe. Are their shells waterproof, or do they have waterproof liners?

both their regular and pro shells are waterproof, but the regular ones will hold water in the outer cordura fabric (like most gore-tex motorcycle gear), requiring time to dry off (don't leave these damp for long periods in a cold dark damp shed or garage). Their pro shells won't hold water at all. Neither should let water in past the shell, and the liners are just for insulation.

I've had no problem with Dainese Gore-Tex stuff and it's quite a bit cheaper. It's similar in construction to regular Rukka stuff. The outside of the shell will get wet, but the inside stays dry. Just makes sure you don't leave it damp in the aforementioned damp garage for two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I need to head out to the Dainese store near me one of these days. I have no idea if Dainese would fit me or not.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I've seen some scary test results on Rukka stuff. Generally, while it costs a fortune and appears to be constructed well, it seems that they aren't as protective as you'd think and the seams burst everywhere almost immediately. I read a British comparo on textiles and Rukka came in close to last place because of that.

I went with a Clover Tekno WP for my textile jacket. I had to buy it from a site in Italy, but it is incredibly well made and protective (look up videos of their testing or the review on Webbikeworld), looks good, lots of usable pockets, and has 2 removable inner layers for thorough weather-proofing and customization.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

ADVRider posters tend to overwhelmingly favor vendors that interact on the forum, and I've never seen Aerostich reps post there or offer discounts. It's also overwhelmingly a bunch of crotchety old men who like to shake their fist on the Internet. I'm not saying there's not seeds of knowledge in the chaff, but you need to know to sift.

ADV also tends to be over-the-top safety to go down the block to get a cup of coffee so their advice and opinions tend to get colored with that.

I like my Teiz Alcatraz suit. I paid extra for the custom fit; well worth it, in my opinion. It does have some small issues, especially with the cuffs. I wear the gloves under the suit (they won't fit over) and the design cuffs make it difficult to put on gloves with longer gauntlet cuffs. The zipper, while reasonably tight, isn't really airtight so I get some leakage there.

As an aside, I never realized how well mink oil works in the rain. I've never ridden hours and hours, but it does hold up well making leathers water resistant against a relatively brief downpour.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Nolan N43E Trilogy is $180 @ CompAcc

http://www.compacc.com/p/Nolan-N43E...rce=Emailvision

Anyone own one? It's been on my short list to replace my Shark just based on adaptability.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mcqueen posted:

Nolan N43E Trilogy is $180 @ CompAcc

http://www.compacc.com/p/Nolan-N43E...rce=Emailvision

Anyone own one? It's been on my short list to replace my Shark just based on adaptability.

I have the N43E and like it. The only quibble I have is that my chin is too close to the chin bar. It moves a ton of air, is light, and is pretty quiet (for me at least). Tons of visibility too.
I think they changed it forever the trilogy, but there are no visor detents; it's up or down. Get the pin lock because the shield will fog almost instantly unless it's above 60.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I need to head out to the Dainese store near me one of these days. I have no idea if Dainese would fit me or not.

I'm 5'11" 145 and a size 48 jacket fits me perfectly, so if you also are a skinny gently caress, they should be great.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

if you also are a skinny gently caress

Haha nooooooooope. I'm hoping something like the D-Stormer might work out though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Jacket fit depends on your body shape in relation to the jacket shape. I'm 6', 184 and a 42 Dainese is a perfect fit on me. It's only $275 with my discount, too, and I want it. I want it, dammit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

The BeadRider folks are doing their earn-a-seat promotion again. http://www.beadrider.com/earn-a-seat/

These things are totally worth buying anyway if you do any sort of distance riding.

It's me, I signed up to earn a seat!

I bought a classic Beadrider, and for $20 extra, got a rally flag to go along with it. Here's a picture of them on my cluttered workbench.

I have got to clean up that bench.

Anyway, if I want my $50-something back, all's I have to do is this:

and take a picture of myself, the bike, the seat, and the flag in front of Wild Goose Island, which is an island in Saint Mary Lake in Glacier National Park. Thus, my sudden interest in long distance riding.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Pope Mobile posted:

I have the N43E and like it. The only quibble I have is that my chin is too close to the chin bar. It moves a ton of air, is light, and is pretty quiet (for me at least). Tons of visibility too.
I think they changed it forever the trilogy, but there are no visor detents; it's up or down. Get the pin lock because the shield will fog almost instantly unless it's above 60.

Thanks for the info, ordered. Kinda stoked to see it come with so many extras.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

Anyway, if I want my $50-something back, all's I have to do is this:

and take a picture of myself, the bike, the seat, and the flag in front of Wild Goose Island, which is an island in Saint Mary Lake in Glacier National Park. Thus, my sudden interest in long distance riding.
If you do it, let me know. That's about an hour from my house.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

If you do it, let me know. That's about an hour from my house.

Will do.

I picked up a Dainese Bruce jacket today, on clearance for $300 at the D-Store. It's nice! Nicer than my other jackets, for sure. It feels trim but solid, and I love the fact that Gor-Tex is bonded to the shell. The neck is super adjustable, and the wrist closures are perfect (that's my pet peeve with all of my other jackets). My only qualm is that it is really lacking in the vent department. I can't imagine it will be too pleasant in the middle of summer, but it should be good from about 40-75 degrees. I was budgeting for an Aerostich Darien, so this was a good find.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What do you guys do for keeping a camera at the ready (and what sorts of cameras do you use)? Not for shooting while in motion, but for quick pull-overs to take a photo? Ideally I wouldn't have to take off gloves/get off the bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Phone camera - sits in it's mount. If it's another one I have a tank bag.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've been using a Canon S95 the past few years. It's small enough that I can stick it in my jacket pocket, and can usually use the buttons without taking my gloves off. It was among the best point and shoot cameras when I got it, but they're up to the S120 now and I don't know how that compares.

Part of the reasoning that has kept me from buying a DSLR was I'd need a separate bag on the bike.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Babby bought his first Arai. Went looking for something in the 300-ish range and picked this up for $450 out the door. Its a Vector 2 ID... and drat it's nice.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 21, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What do you guys do for keeping a camera at the ready (and what sorts of cameras do you use)? Not for shooting while in motion, but for quick pull-overs to take a photo? Ideally I wouldn't have to take off gloves/get off the bike.

I have a little Canon A1400 which I picked up on an Amazon after christmas sale for <$50. It should do the job well. Big power and shutter buttons, but quite small. Should do well as a quick point and shoot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Babby bought his first Arai. Went looking for something in the 300-ish range and picked this up for $450 out the door.

How much do they charge for the thumbprint mapping? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

How much do they charge for the thumbprint mapping? :v:

See, it can't be my real thumbprint or the police will track me down through pictures on the interweb :tinfoil:

But really, its really light and quiet enough. If you close the top vent it makes weird loving noises on the highway but that's whatever. It also had me thinking that I don't want to take it to the track right away for fear I'd go down in it and ruin it. :downs:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 21, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackMK4 posted:

See, it can't be my real thumbprint or the police will track me down through pictures on the interweb :tinfoil:

Thanks Obama.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
MotorcycleGear.com has the Scorpion EXO-750s for $59-$79 and EXO-700s for $49-$59 (and in normal-person sizes) right now.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/scorpion/exo750_solid_motorcycle_helmet.html

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Kilersquirrel posted:

MotorcycleGear.com has the Scorpion EXO-750s for $59-$79 and EXO-700s for $49-$59 (and in normal-person sizes) right now.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/scorpion/exo750_solid_motorcycle_helmet.html

Thanks for the heads up. It's been time for me to replace my exo-700 for a while now.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
Yeah I wish I had waited a little longer to replace my previous 700, could have gotten the 750 for less than what I paid for another 700 from them. Still got a good deal on it but the cheek pads would have been a nice upgrade.

If you're a wannabe gear-queer like I am the motorcyclegear.com(they used to be NewEnough.com) mailing list is not a bad thing to subscribe to, I've gotten 2 pairs of nice gloves, a fully armored perf-leather jacket, and a nice textile jacket for summertime for less than $350 total over the past year.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What's the difference between the 750 and 700?
I have a 700 and I like it, awesome helmet for the price. This could be a good time to nab a replacement, which I'll probably keep in a closet til I decide it's time to retire mine.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The 750 has a lockable shield and Scorpion's "cheek pad inflation" thing. There's a little button behind the chin bar that you pump and it inflates the pads. Personally, I've never really seen it as more than a gimmick.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
The inflatable pads thing comes in when your foam(not structural foam) starts to compact down a bit as far as I can tell. Or, I suppose, if you lose a bunch of weight and your cheeks shrink down.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I pump mine up a few times if I'm about to do something bad rear end :rock:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's not designed for rectal use, you know.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Designed gots nothing to do with it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Kilersquirrel posted:

I also ordered a exo 700 due to this. I rock a Shoei rf1000 now, never tried a Scorpion. But for $50 bux I'm willing to gamble.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

It's not designed for rectal use, you know.

Neither is a penis according to fundamental Christians, yet look how well it fits.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Gear delivery day is the best day. New 2013 SMX+ and Dianese V Guards.

Yes, my couch is 15 feet of quality wraparound 1970s sectional excellence :colbert:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Agreed. I just got a new helmet in the mail the other day. It was a good day.

How the hell do you order something like a boot online anyways? Did you find some store that carried them and tried it on there?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Marxalot posted:

How the hell do you order something like a boot online anyways? Did you find some store that carried them and tried it on there?

I just ordered it according to my regular shoe size. That seems to be much more standardized than something like a helmet - I have a big weird head, and I have to buy helmets at a local place to guarantee a good, comfortable fit. XXL Shoei fits great, XXL Skorpion/Icon/Arai is at least one size too small for me. My last boots were more basic Alpinestars, and fit well at my normal size so I figured it was pretty safe. Bought them from Revzilla, who have great customer service/return policies anyway so if worse came to worse I'd just pay return shipping for an exchange.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

I just ordered it according to my regular shoe size. That seems to be much more standardized than something like a helmet - I have a big weird head, and I have to buy helmets at a local place to guarantee a good, comfortable fit. XXL Shoei fits great, XXL Skorpion/Icon/Arai is at least one size too small for me. My last boots were more basic Alpinestars, and fit well at my normal size so I figured it was pretty safe. Bought them from Revzilla, who have great customer service/return policies anyway so if worse came to worse I'd just pay return shipping for an exchange.

Oh, maybe I just have big weird feet. I wear a 10.5-11.5 and even then half the time I'll try on everything in that range and they're all either too narrow or too long.
I just figured that was normal :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think shoes are like jackets in that the Euro brands tend to be narrower than the US ones. Touringy boots in general are also roomier than racy ones.

Factor in when you ride you probably want bigger fluffier socks than what you'd normally wear with sneakers or dressy shoes.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Was about to recommend these as they're incredibly comfortable and nicely waterproof, but I recently discovered that the area around my achilles tendon is almost completely worn through to the outside shell on both boots after <6 months of admittedly daily riding.

Tuzo SK9t

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My A-stars Scout WP boots have been great for the 14 months I've had them, and it treat my gears like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yes, my couch is 15 feet of quality wraparound 1970s sectional excellence :colbert:

Have you tried putting them on? When I wear boots that high with knee guards that low, they collide in the middle.