Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Austrian mook posted:

What is Supernatural about? All my friends like it but that's almost 100% because they two leads are hunky guys. Is there value in the show for a cool man like myself?

It's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, only not lovely and there are monsters other than vampires. And yeah, starring two hunky guys.

Zaggitz posted:

Supernatural also does, for my money, the absolute best comedy episodes for a non comedy show. Every single one of them could go toe to toe with some of the best sitcoms.

Also, one of the best Christmas episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My two best friends used to bag on me for being a Supernatural liker but then they both separately ended up binging the whole series themselves :unsmigghh:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Yoshifan823 posted:

gently caress yeah it is! And you've got about 20 years of television to go, because when you finish Cheers, you'll definitely want to start Fraiser, which is just as good.

I can't believe how excited I am to watch a show that I had long written off as old garbage. I feel like my parents were keeping a huge secret all these years. I haven't felt this good about an old show since I discovered Moonlighting (thanks, DivisionPost)!

Also, Rick and Morty is really good, as someone else stated.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

And yeah, starring two hunky guys.

They're only hunky in a 90s Teen Beat way. A better descriptor would be "non-threateningly manly."

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rarity posted:

Sleepy Hollow's season finale was one fantastic bit of television that rivalled Arrow for :supaburn: levels and did one of the neatest jobs in tying together the entire season that I've seen in a long time. The show has definitely jumped up to a new level with that.

Also featured my new favorite definition of hipsters: "purveyors of artisanal marmalade".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VDay posted:

Also featured my new favorite definition of hipsters: "purveyors of artisanal marmalade".

That's so my new Twitter profile

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Manos del Sino posted:

The most surprising part of that episode was that Paris Hilton was actually decent in the role.

Fortunately she didn't have all that many lines to gently caress up.

The '00s sure were a strange time though, where Paris Hilton inexplicably kept getting acting roles. I'm glad that Paris Hilton II: Kim Kardashian is mostly limited to her own terrible E! show as far as acting roles go.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

For those of you who don't watch Supernatural, the premise of that episode is that a pagan god uses a wax museum to take on the forms of different historical and modern-day figures. Which leads to hilarity like Paris Hilton monologuing about the biblical apocalypse, James Dean's car murdering somebody, Abraham Lincoln exploding heads, and and the brothers having a knock-down, drag-out fight with Gandhi.

You should also note that Gandhi fights monkey style, which is the funniest loving thing ever.
As an end of season 5 spoiler, was Carver Edlund really God? Because if so, what a tremendous dick he is.

Irish Joe posted:

They're only hunky in a 90s Teen Beat way. A better descriptor would be "non-threateningly manly."

My wife makes the hunky claim, so I'll take her word for it over yours.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

PriorMarcus posted:

The first five seasons are some of the best horror/thriller TV in years. It's kind of divisive after that but if you love those seasons (which form a 100% complete, planned story arc) then carry on... ♫ my waywaaaard sonnn

Seriously, just give it a go.

Fixed, in order to properly capture the essence of Supernatural.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate that kind of music but I love it in the context of Supernatural. Now you're messin with a...SON OF A BEEEEECH.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

As an end of season 5 spoiler, was Carver Edlund really God? Because if so, what a tremendous dick he is.

Fans debate the issue, but it has been discussed several times at conventions and the like. Yes, Edlund/Chuck is supposed to be God. The God. The Big G-ahuna.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Manos del Sino posted:

Fans debate the issue, but it has been discussed several times at conventions and the like. Yes, Edlund/Chuck is supposed to be God. The God. The Big G-ahuna.

He is later seen to just be a prophet, since there are more characters like him.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

zoux posted:

I hate that kind of music but I love it in the context of Supernatural. Now you're messin with a...SON OF A BEEEEECH.

Same, I wasn't raised on it, so Carry On My Wayward Son will be forever irrevocably associated with Supernatural (and Dean in particular).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
To anyone even vaguely thinking about watching Supernatural, I would strongly recommend not looking at these spoilers even if they don't normally bother you. This is culmination of a five season story arc type stuff.

As posted above, he is canonically God. The whole thing of him being a prophet is pretty clearly just him hiding in plain sight.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

Just saw Broad City. I'm going to be very interested in hearing reactions to this.

It's ace. If I was asked to write an outline of what type of show TV is missing right now, it would be pretty much this. While it hasn't lowered the list of 'women comics and improv actors I know who are awesome and should have a show' so far, it has introduced me to two more people I would've added to that list. The leads are great, the concept is brill and it's really well written and executed. Good to see people like Burress and Gemberling but the show wouldn't have suffered without them either.

This one would've passed me by, so thank you Couch Chat for bringing it up. Are they pairing it with Workaholics? That'd make a great hour block.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I realized the other day that Orphan Black might be one of the most progressive shows I've seen on TV, from a feminist perspective. All the major characters are women, men in the show exist only to interact with women characters, and the lead character isn't motivated by revenge (at least initially), unlike other action/suspense shows with a female lead. It's pretty impressive.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Rarity posted:

Sleepy Hollow's season finale was one fantastic bit of television that rivalled Arrow for :supaburn: levels and did one of the neatest jobs in tying together the entire season that I've seen in a long time. The show has definitely jumped up to a new level with that.

This is absolutely true. I just got done watching the Sleepy Hollow finale and it is completely bonkers, but in a good way. I was totally on board before, but after seeing the season finale it would have to top Weeds in terms of declining into mediocrity to get me to stop watching now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I realized the other day that Orphan Black might be one of the most progressive shows I've seen on TV, from a feminist perspective. All the major characters are women, men in the show exist only to interact with women characters, and the lead character isn't motivated by revenge (at least initially), unlike other action/suspense shows with a female lead. It's pretty impressive.

This season of American Horror Story tops it pretty effortlessly if those are your criteria for feminism.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This season of AHS is a roaring tire fire. Stay away.

EDIT: Feminism is not just a matter of how many women there are in any particular space. Its about how they're treated, and in AHS if they're not being raped, they're being killed. And getting killed again.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yet all the male characters are either mind controlled, dead, horrible buffoons or creepy murderers. Don't tell me the conflicts with the women on AHS aren't caused by their gender, the female trait of witch hood. It's a season ABOUT feminism.

Edit: Think of Stevie Nicks being a big guest star.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 22, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't tell me that the conflicts are based on anything, other than random flailing at the keyboard. There is nothing in the season (before I finally got out) that comes close to making a statement on ANYTHING, let alone substantive gender politics.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I feel the same way, about every TV show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How nihilistic of you.

EDIT: Are you the Joker?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Workaholics is back tonight and I didn't see a thread, so I've done a double block one for both it and Broad City - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604171

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

This season of AHS is a roaring tire fire. Stay away.

People say this and then I see poo poo like this:

And I'm like, kinda wanna see that in context...

E: waht the hell?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It is and always has been a silly/stupid show and it kind of revels in it. If anything this season is more grounded than previous seasons, if only because we are mostly just dealing with witches as opposed to an insane grab bag of ghouls and ghosts.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

It is and always has been a silly/stupid show and it kind of revels in it. If anything this season is more grounded than previous seasons, if only because we are mostly just dealing with witches as opposed to an insane grab bag of ghouls and ghosts.

The current season is much better about telling a coherent story where last season was fun because of how nutso the whole thing was. I'm enjoying witches this year and don't think the show is nearly as bad as the AHS thread would have you believe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

People say this and then I see poo poo like this:

And I'm like, kinda wanna see that in context...

E: waht the hell?

Those are both from last season, Asylum. This season, Coven, hasn't been very good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Asylum was bloody awful. Just a mess of incoherent story direction.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

The current season is much better about telling a coherent story where last season was fun because of how nutso the whole thing was. I'm enjoying witches this year and don't think the show is nearly as bad as the AHS thread would have you believe.

Of all the praises I've seen for this current season, none of them have been regarding its coherency.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Posted this in the X-Files thread, but this sees more traffic.

A German channel has started airing HD remastered X-Files and the results are jaw dropping.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58612

That's in comparison to the DVD with the HD broadcast downscaled to DVD resolution. So the full resolution HD would be even better.

More screenshots can be found here.

http://forum.cinefacts.de/208508-akte-x-die-serie-bald-auf-blu-ray-10.html#post7966465

Fox needs to get this out on blu-ray ASAP so they can take all my money.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Is there any indication how much of the show has been remastered so far?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hcreight posted:

Is there any indication how much of the show has been remastered so far?

Fox has been pretty tight lipped about it, but whispers are they've been working on it since late 2012.

They are also taking the easy shortcut with the special effects and only upscaling those scenes, so they have significantly less work to do than the crew remastering TNG. I assume they can move at a quicker pace as a result.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Any screen shots of the SFX?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PriorMarcus posted:

Any screen shots of the SFX?

SFX are only going to be upscaled, so they will likely disappoint by comparison. People who have seen the epsiodes so far describe them as "ok" at worst so it may not be all that bad. They are likely going to be using far more advanced equipment to clean them up than your normal run of the mill scaler found in a TV. Fortunately, there aren't all that many composited effects shots in The X-Files. A few seconds of effects shots per episode likely won't diminish much from the enjoyment of the rest in HD.

Other things that have been reported as lower resolution are stock establishing shots. I guess the shots of the Hoover building were video in origin and not shot on film for the show, so they need to be upscaled as well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

soapgish posted:

Current discussion aside, I'm a ways into a few weeks of Hulu Plus trial.

Criterion pool is toasty, but is there any other heat but being a DVR catching the occasional missed airing?

What in the world does this mean?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu Plus has the Criterion Collection movies and he's wondering if there are any other good things to watch on there other than just catching up on shows that have recently aired.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

What in the world does this mean?

He finds the access to the Criterion Collection on HuluPlus a fine service, but wonders if, aside from the odd episode missed by one's dvr, the service on the whole is worth it. He asks us to offer up other benefits of the service, so that its value might be more readily assessed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe next time he could try asking in a way that doesn't make him sound like a gibbering twat.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Well if Michael J. Fox didn't work to revive NBC's comedy fortunes, maybe bringing Bill Cosby back will:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/bill-cosby-nbc-return-tv-series-star/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And from looking at the plot it sounds a lot like the Cosby Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vertical Lime posted:

Well if Michael J. Fox didn't work to revive NBC's comedy fortunes, maybe bringing Bill Cosby back will:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/bill-cosby-nbc-return-tv-series-star/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And from looking at the plot it sounds a lot like the Cosby Show

Cosby is ancient and verging on incomprehensible at this point. This will not end well.

• Locked thread