Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Couldn't make good headway with a low level Thor. Top 15 is all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
How do you retaliate? Is it an option somewhere?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LorneReams posted:

On the level/mission select screen retaliations will be marked with a red SHIELD icon.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LorneReams posted:

When one of the pvp nodes is red it's a retaliation.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

LorneReams posted:

When someone's team beats yours, instead of a yellow icon in the match select screen, they show up with a red icon.

e: Wow, beaten twice.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I ended up working my way up to the 50HP progression reward and just yielded my way down to #46.

I just snuck in after having my entire team wiped by a chain cascade that wouldn't end as Storm Classic kept feeding it. This happened 45 minutes out with no heals and no heroes to use. I revived my Storm Modern after the Heal regenreated and went in with IM35 as I couldn't heal up Thor too. Managed to beat that 1100 point guy I mentioned earlier as I had put off that match and 49 points got me to #72 :)

e: Now I just need 25 HC more to open up another character slot.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Friendly Fire posted:

So in Divine Champions, I attacked some guy who is at 1100 points when I was at about 250 points getting me over 40. He retailiates and I lose 1 whole point and get a retaliation back for 49. Why do people even bother retaliating against lower ranks?

Because they are stupid and do not understand math.

Bruceski posted:

I love comic book sound effects. I assume Storm is shouting that WHABOOM BADA BOOM!

The Incredible Hercules had the best sound effect fight sequence ever. Thor is pretending to be Herc, Herc is pretending to be Thor, and their fight is EPIC:

But Excalibur still takes the blue ribbon for: what is the sound made when an alien explodes a toilet the hard way?

In tourneyland, a quick run up to 1000 points (precisely 1000, amusingly) got me an easy first place and now my Punisher is complete. Wolverexforce is up to 2/4/0 and who knows, maybe he'll be useful soon.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
What's a good build for Magneto Now & The Hood?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

iRend posted:

Looks like they're nerfing Thor and Wolvie next.

As long as they don't touch my precious OBW, i'm all good with that.

Makes sense they'd throw a warning in-game, since EVERYONE uses those.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
What would people recommend between OBW's Black and Blue powers? I was dumb and maxed her purple power when I wasn't really paying attention.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sefer posted:

What would people recommend between OBW's Black and Blue powers? I was dumb and maxed her purple power when I wasn't really paying attention.

I'd say black? That guide posted back suggests 3/5/5 as the best build with 5/3/5 as an alternative. Anyways, got the covers so my OBW is now 2/3/5 meaning I need a 151-200 in this next one. I see a lot of yielding in the future.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

mania posted:

What's a good build for Magneto Now & The Hood?

The Hood is easy -- 5/5/3. (Easy to suggest, not so much to obtain.) Twin Pistols needs to be L5 to keep it from ending the turn, which is a major disadvantage, and Dormammu's Aid is too good a passive not to push to the moon. Intimidation gains very little from upgrading beyond 3 because you'll never have that many of your own Countdown tiles on the board.

Magneto Now is trickier because of escalating AP costs. Polarity Shift is an obvious L5, but after that it depends on preferences. 4/5/4 gives you a 9 AP / Countdown 3 / 29 tile Iron Hammer and an 11 AP / Countdown 1 / 3x3 block Magnetic Flux. If you go 3/5/5, Flux kills 5x5 but goes up to 14 AP; if you go 5/5/3, Hammer kills the whole board but is now a Countdown 4 and 13 AP. Some have even suggested sticking with 2/5/5, which limits your max level but keeps Iron Hammer at a Countdown 1.

Sefer posted:

Hrmm, not good because both Black and Blue are good. If you have to pick and choose, I'd say go 5/3/5; level three blue will still heal as long as there are no Countdown tiles on the board, and you want that Espionage damage.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know
Is there any reason to keep IM35 after you got better characters or can I hock him for that sweet sweet ISO? I know BWM had a tournament that used it so I'm keeping that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bruceski posted:

Makes sense they'd throw a warning in-game, since EVERYONE uses those.

They're not being nerfed, they're being FUNbalanced! :suicide:

Is Thor even worth nerfing anymore with the power creep amongst characters like OBW, Ares, Punisher, Hulk, Patch etc.?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

tetsul posted:

Is there any reason to keep IM35 after you got better characters or can I hock him for that sweet sweet ISO? I know BWM had a tournament that used it so I'm keeping that.

They've done a 1-star tournament that they may bring back, so I'm keeping a few guys handy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

BGrifter posted:

Is Thor even worth nerfing anymore with the power creep amongst characters like OBW, Ares, Punisher, Hulk, Patch etc.?

Probably not -- when he isn't buffed, he's still very good but he's not stunningly better any more. I analyzed Thor vs. Ares the other day and they compared pretty well overall. The one thing Thor has that nobody else has to the same degree is streamlining -- Mjolnir's Might directly feeds Thunder Strike which directly feeds Call the Storm, which was ridiculous when Storm's Raging Tempest still fed Mjolnir because then you didn't even have to match anything relevant to be in position to do big damage. My suspicion is that the "creates X tiles" part will get toned down.

They have ulterior motives for encouraging power creep, of course -- it keeps people playing to get the new guys.

Wolverine will get Feral nerfed partly from that, partly because they have a bug up their butts about powers costing less than 5 now. Feral will be hurt, Magneto Classic will never even notice Magnetized Projectile getting tweaked, but the Spider-Nerf is going to cause loving HOWLING if All Tied Up goes any higher than 3 AP. And it should cause howling, because the problem with All Tied Up is not necessarily that it's the best stun in the game (which it is, by far) but that it's the ONLY viable stun option. Widow Modern and Venom have negligible HP, Storm Classic was already nerfed once, Cap's isn't bad but relies on Countdown tiles and has a sizable AP cost, Hawkeye's is similarly vulnerable and can't be placed manually... Either a new character capable of lockdown needs to be introduced or PvE event scores are going to plummet because trying a 240/240/240 or 200/200/200 mission will mean almost certain death.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

iRend posted:

Looks like they're nerfing Thor and Wolvie next.

Just in time for me to be halfway done with them.

I dont think this game wants me playing, just paying.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
God, I love cycling through the same five opponents who all have a fraction of the points I do. I'm skipping them for a reason, you dumb loving game!

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

delfin posted:

Either a new character capable of lockdown needs to be introduced or PvE event scores are going to plummet because trying a 240/240/240 or 200/200/200 mission will mean almost certain death.

240 and 200 missions were reliably beatable with current Thor and wolverine without any stuns because I did that the last hunt to secure a top 10 spot in several of the mini hunts.

Lockdown in the way that Spider-Man does it is really uninteresting and bad because it completely negates any variety in defense: the only factor is how much hp enemies have because who gives a poo poo what character they are if they spend the entire match stunned. There's also no real strategy to lockdown in puzzling, you just stun everybody all the time and that's it.

Wolverine needs a nerf pretty bad, but I would be ok if they used Thor as the benchmark for how powerful other heroes should be.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think the big boosts are back in Lightning Round or there's a hilarious new bug because my level 60 Dr. Doom has 17k hps.

edit: Level 55 Rag has 20k hps.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I think the big boosts are back in Lightning Round or there's a hilarious new bug because my level 60 Dr. Doom has 17k hps.

edit: Level 55 Rag has 20k hps.

So a punisher with 5 red covers is mandatory now, eh?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A.o.D. posted:

So a punisher with 5 red covers is mandatory now, eh?

Well a level 100 Ragnarok has 35k hps so it's not the worst idea. It made any team not full of villains a complete joke though, my level 60 Dooms black ability was making 4k worth of damage tiles.

edit: Just downloaded a patch and now Doom is at 6049 hps. Hilarious bug confirmed, that was a fun lightning round while it lasted.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 22, 2014

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Now that I'm pretty much done grinding the prologue missions for any worthwhile rewards, am I…done with this game? All those PvP events ever are good for me is scoring an easy recruit token for reaching 25/50 points; anything beyond that is :effort:, and I don't really care for PvP to begin with.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

There are pve missions from time to time. They're ok but if you want good stuff they're still kind of a grind.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My only having level 22 Wolverine and no Thor whatsoever makes this coming nerf feel reeaaal good. Especially since my Ares is coming along nicely, and I'm somewhat convinced he might be better than Thor anyhow. :ssh: Don't tell the developers, though

I somehow got to fifth place really early on, not even seriously playing in this tournament. I think people are actively staying away from picking fights with Storm Classic/Ares, who are often my team when I quit out for the day. Even if my third winds up being Hawkeye, I don't seem to be attacked at all in this event. Is it because I have 2/3s of a party that does full party damage?

EDIT

The gently caress? They got rid of Secrets? That was like, one of maybe five usable emoticons.

EDIT 2
Oh, it's just SSH. Huh.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 23, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
:ssh: It has less to do with actual balancing than forcing players to collect (buy) and level new characters.

Funbalancing!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not quite that cynical about it since the character balance queue is a) both 4-stars that have been crap since they were introduced; b) the three 3-stars that are widely recognised as completely bullshit powerful; c) the two most popular 2-stars who actually are good enough on their own to include in any team regardless of synergies or interactions; and d) Hawkeye Modern.

Thor and Wolverine are both extremely accessible for new players through PvE without paying anything, but they are also really good characters to the point where Wolverine is basically a given for me in almost every single team despite having multiple level 90+ 3-stars and most 2-stars maxed. The reason those two are way over-represented in teams isn't because players aren't collecting new characters - it's because they are really good team members who interact especially well with each other and several other characters and give you the ability to early-burst troublemakers down or power up regular matches while you charge abilities.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

So with tournaments, is getting in at the last minute still a desirable thing? When do you actually join a tournament? When you click into it the first time, or when you attack someone the first time? Because the event screen isn't showing me time remaining until I go into a tournament screen, at which point it's assigned players for me to fight, so I'm assuming I'm locked into whatever bracket they're in?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You get locked into a bracket once you start a fight. Or finish one. I'm not too sure which. Just entering the tournament itself does not lock you in a bracket.

EDIT: Also the people you fight has no bearing on your bracket, as far as I know. MMR and brackets are different things.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Thor was already working his way to the dustbin with the introduction of powerful new characters like OBW, Ares, Punisher and Hulk. Wolverine is a bit more iffy, but if you're nerfing Thor for pure balance considerations at bare minimum you have to hit OBW and Ares too.

Nevermind introducing Patch into the mix.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, I am dreading the Spiderman and Wolverine changes. I don't see how I'm ever supposed to clear 240 teams without spiderman's cheap stun and Wolverine's strike tiles. IF Wolverine gets nerfed to hell at least there's still 5 Red Punisher, but without spiderman, PvE just doesn't seem possible. How about bringing the lovely characters up a bit more? Invisible Woman was a good start, but she's not good enough yet and the future looks a lot more nerf heavy than buff oriented.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
A 240 Juggernaut will ruin you so fast if you lack a reliable way to stun him up. 240 Moonstone is also pretty nuts if she gets her nuke off. Don't even try whittling down a 240 Daken or Bullseye.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Nerf Spider-man because I can't max him and I really want to and 2 blue stuns are annoying and everyone I have played against uses Spider-man.

It's not an issue of not being able to beat those teams, I can, it's just that if their excuse is everyone uses Thor (We do) and Wolverine (I have seen more Spider-mans than Wolverines), then come on.

Or give me the covers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I see way more Thors and Wolverines than Spider-man, and really, Spider-man doesn't even bother me that much. He's got pretty bad health, which is a major enough drawback. I pretty much burst him down when I see him.

Thor and Wolverine though. Man. gently caress those guys. OBW, too.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Karnegal posted:

Man, I am dreading the Spiderman and Wolverine changes. I don't see how I'm ever supposed to clear 240 teams without spiderman's cheap stun and Wolverine's strike tiles. IF Wolverine gets nerfed to hell at least there's still 5 Red Punisher, but without spiderman, PvE just doesn't seem possible. How about bringing the lovely characters up a bit more? Invisible Woman was a good start, but she's not good enough yet and the future looks a lot more nerf heavy than buff oriented.

Captain America's yellow was very strong in the last PVE event. I never cleared a 240 team before using him. I still needed Wolvie's strike tiles to do damage though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spidey's health is 5800 at max level. Thats a long way off though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

Captain America's yellow was very strong in the last PVE event. I never cleared a 240 team before using him. I still needed Wolvie's strike tiles to do damage though.

And Cap'n Boyscout's yellow is hella expensive to compensate for that strength. 19AP for almost 400 damage reduction at max rank, 225-ish at rank 3 if I did my math correct. That's a major effect but it's eaten almost two Thunderclaps to set up.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Tezzeract posted:

He was buffed to hell last event though

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The key to beat 240s is to use the buffed characters, isn't it? If your L85 is at a 200% buff, isn't it effectively L170 (or 255?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Effective use of the buffs, plus Spider-Man to cripple the enemy.