Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Mm poo poo, AMD. There is a fairy tale gone sour.

Did buying ATi improve things for them, it's been a while now..?

ATI is the part of AMD that actually makes money. Especially just at the moment: people who want to mine altcoins (litecoin and its copycats) are paying enormous premiums for certain lines of AMD graphics cards, because those cards are particularly optimized for the type of integer operations that these coins use. Nobody can keep them in stock. (Of course a lot of the profits on these cards are going to the resellers: AMD does not seem to have capitalized on the rush by raising MSRPs or wholesale prices.)

If you happen to own an AMD HD 78xx or 79xx card, it is almost certainly worth far more on eBay right now than whatever you paid for it.

AMDs CPUs are not competitive with Intel for most segments of the desktop and laptop markets, and lately Intel's also been beating them on notebooks and tablets as well. But AMD is still very competitive with nVidia in the graphics card arena, even leaving aside the whole bitcoin/altcoin mining frenzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to say. Mobile processors.. some video cards but in desktops it's been all Intel and Nividia for ages now. They do ARM chips, don't they and aren't they in a ton of mobile devices? Why hasn't AMD ridden the mobile computing wave, don't they make a ton of that stuff?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

They do ARM chips
Not yet. They were way late to the party on this one. At the very same CES when Microsoft was announcing Windows 8 for ARM, AMD continued to go "nah ARM won't be a big deal." Granted Windows on ARM has been a poo poo show, but they completely missed the mark on their ARM market evaluation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AMD has put a lot of money into developing CPUs that combine traditional CPU and advanced GPU functionality on-die. They're calling these things APUs, and nobody else has something quite like it. These chips are in the PS4 and the Xbone.

They haven't turned out to be widely desirable for ordinary desktop or mobile PCs (yet) though. Maybe it will turn into a cash cow in the future, but nobody can say for sure, and in any event the fact that AMD isn't competing on price/performance across most of the range of desktop CPUs, combined with the fact that desktop computer sales were down significantly in 2013, means AMD isn't getting the flagship product revenue that it needs.

AMD has the same problem it's always had: it can innovate in the very short term, but Intel has so much more money that they can always catch up to whatever new thing AMD comes up with. Finding niche areas to be the best has been a viable strategy for the past 15+ years, but that's never been lucrative enough to allow AMD to grow into a size that can compete on a level playing field directly with Intel.

In the GPU marketplace, it's different. Intel almost exclusively makes low-performance embedded GPUs for use on integrated business laptop hardware; nVidia and AMD compete directly and vigorously, and neither company seems to have a large edge. In any given year, the best price/performance at any point along the curve may belong to one or the other company.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

AMD has put a lot of money into developing CPUs that combine traditional CPU and advanced GPU functionality on-die. They're calling these things APUs, and nobody else has something quite like it. These chips are in the PS4 and the Xbone.
They're hardly unique at all: in fact they're very similar to the SoCs currently in tablets, smartphones, and TV set-top boxes right now. The only distinguishing factor is that AMD's product is x86 versus the ARM instruction set in most of those other devices, which means hitching their wagon firmly to Microsoft's platform visions. With the initial release of Windows 8 devices, that didn't seem like a great plan. We'll have to see how Microsoft executes going forward.

edit: Also Bay Trail is gunning for AMD's APU business.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, yeah ARM is a totally different architecture, but you're right that other companies are combining CPU/GPU.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Netflix :stare:

I doubt Reed Hasting is going to call it a bubble stock during the conference call this time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

God drat it, I forgot to NFLX options AGAIN!!! :negative: :suicide:

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Josh Lyman posted:

Why don't you like, set up a calendar reminder or something. Earnings releases are scheduled you know :)

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You could write a Perl script to scrape the data and deliver it to your iPhone ;)

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

DEMAG posted:

You just can't win with AMD.

How did you not see this coming? 2 times in the last year. 2!
I sold the day before earnings and scrapped together some nice profits.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol this is like the 3rd time for you isn't it?

Tomorrow is going to be a good day.:)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

At least the 3rd, maybe closer to a half dozen.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Gamesguy posted:

Did you have another leg to that trade, because that's some brass balls right there if not.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Lelorox posted:

How did you not see this coming? 2 times in the last year. 2!
I sold the day before earnings and scrapped together some nice profits.

I was speaking to the poor bag holders that bought in before earnings because of those Lite/Doge/Koinye/Bitcoin bullshit card sales. I can't believe they let this happen to themselves again... For the second time. I don't have a position and would be worried to even risk the ride up to ER. AMD is a good company it's just a shame to see it's performance in the market.

DEMAG fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 23, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

Having never made an options trade, I've seen lots of people post cropped screenshots like this but I never know what all the columns are.

At a guess, I'd say that the 5 is how many options contracts you bought, that you paid $15.75 each (and I think each contract is for 100 options? So that's $7875, which is your cost basis) and that these are long calls with an exercise price of $335. Since NFLX is like $50 above that, when you exercise your calls you'll net ($50 x 500) - $7875 = $17,125?

But I'm confused about the rest of the numbers.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 23, 2014

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

flowinprose posted:

Did you have another leg to that trade, because that's some brass balls right there if not.

Nope, it was a straight up call.

The position was only a bit more than 1% of my trading acct, sizing wise I wouldn't have lost sleep if NFLX tanked. I opened a similar bet on SBUX earlier today as well. Like NFLX, SBUX has really been beaten down lately so if earnings is positive it should skyrocket.

Leperflesh posted:

Having never made an options trade, I've seen lots of people post cropped screenshots like this but I never know what all the columns are.

At a guess, I'd say that the 5 is how many options contracts you bought, that you paid $15.75 each (and I think each contract is for 100 options? So that's $7875, which is your cost basis) and that these are long calls with an exercise price of $335. Since NFLX is like $50 above that, when you exercise your calls you'll net ($50 x 500) - $7875 = $17,125?

But I'm confused about the rest of the numbers.

From left to right:

Last trade, change $, change %, day's gain, quantity, price paid, total gain $, total gain %, market value.

Sold them this morning for a nice $20k profit. Unfortunately since the market tanked today my overall gain was a third that due to my other longs falling.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 23, 2014

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Gamesguy posted:

Nope, it was a straight up call.

The position was only a bit more than 1% of my trading acct, sizing wise I wouldn't have lost sleep if NFLX tanked. I opened a similar bet on SBUX earlier today as well. Like NFLX, SBUX has really been beaten down lately so if earnings is positive it should skyrocket.

Welp, I guess if you have $700k+ to throw around then it might seem like chump change. Rich jerks itt, indeed. Personally I don't think I could stomach having such a short term call that would've been worth essentially nothing the next day if the stock went the wrong direction or stayed almost flat.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Gamesguy posted:

Sold them this morning for a nice $20k profit. Unfortunately since the market tanked today my overall gain was a third that due to my other longs falling.
With the rebound at the end of the day on the S&P futures, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a one-day selloff like last week. Personally, I'd like a 2-3 day downtrend and a decent VIX spike to short. Also liking crude oil as a short (through SCO) tomorrow if it doesn't exceed today's high.

Gamesguy posted:

I opened a similar bet on SBUX earlier today as well. Like NFLX, SBUX has really been beaten down lately so if earnings is positive it should skyrocket.
I did the opposite with SBUX earnings and played for a small move; Thinkorswim was showing only a $3 move based on options volume and shorted a 70/77 strangle on it.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 24, 2014

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Beats Revenue Estimates; CEO News Looms
Barclays Research analysts Raimo Lenschow and Chris Hogan believe Microsoft’s fundamentals are strong, and the lackluster response to their Q2 earnings give investors an opportunity to jump on board.
http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/01/microsoft-corporation-msft-beats-revenue-estimates/

Now Apple is pulling the same tricks out of it's bag that it has for a while (is Cook going to be able to drive like Jobs did?), with no new 'omg iPhone' looming.. perhaps MS isn't quite the bitch anymore. With Ballmer gone usually the announcement of a new CEO will drive up share price, because the appointment will be someone impressive - opportunity here for gain?

Cloud long term (O365 still selling like it should) and hardware (Xbox/Surface) and software (Windows/apps) short terms and MS is still making plenty of money and growing.

What is the goon consensus on ole Billy Bob? Ballmer might have been a large, sweaty ball of motivation and drive but signing off on the Win8 strategy of one OS for everything was telling.

Get a job

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 24, 2014

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I just started working at a small hedge fund in a research capacity and want to start trading stocks and options (not names covered by us) in my personal account with a small percent of my money to get more involved in the market and in anticipation of moving closer to the market side. What platform do you guys use for options? Futures?

edit: We do a lot of manged futures managed accounts so I'm also interested in that area. What is the risk/reward/required knowledge/intangibles difference of trading options vs. futures?

edit1: My pie in the sky goal is to develop some black box systems, I spoke with some of the traders here and they were interested in helping me as a side project. I have basic object based programming knowledge but nothing impressive.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 24, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

How do you get a job doing research at a hedge fund without knowing any of that? I don't mean to be insulting, many people don't know that stuff, but they don't usually work for hedge funds...

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

How do you get a job doing research at a hedge fund without knowing any of that? I don't mean to be insulting, many people don't know that stuff, but they don't usually work for hedge funds...

The big C probably.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

My background is in rigorous financial modeling and valuation for E&M and Life Sciences/Pharma/Biotech assets, securities and companies. I can do OPM's, PWERM's and Lattice models all day, but there's a massive difference between these theoretical valuation models and profiting from trading options, that doesn't mean I know poo poo about actually trading the options, I don't know poo poo about futures, and I've never held a personal brokerage account in which I've done anything but diversified index investing.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 24, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The small hedge fund I know the management of likes to hire computer people that don't understand what they are data mining and predictamodling. It makes them slightly less paranoid that their models will get lifted.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Its Miller Time posted:

I just started working at a small hedge fund in a research capacity and want to start trading stocks and options (not names covered by us) in my personal account with a small percent of my money to get more involved in the market and in anticipation of moving closer to the market side. What platform do you guys use for options? Futures?

edit: We do a lot of manged futures managed accounts so I'm also interested in that area. What is the risk/reward/required knowledge/intangibles difference of trading options vs. futures?

edit1: My pie in the sky goal is to develop some black box systems, I spoke with some of the traders here and they were interested in helping me as a side project. I have basic object based programming knowledge but nothing impressive.

Are there any restrictions on where you can have accounts?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

The small hedge fund I know the management of likes to hire computer people that don't understand what they are data mining and predictamodling. It makes them slightly less paranoid that their models will get lifted.
Yeah a lot of the investment and financial firms have been "poaching" the top math/engineering/comp sci students for a few years and it's been working because any student in this economy is going to take that salary over working a research or entry level position.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 24, 2014

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

mike- posted:

Are there any restrictions on where you can have accounts?

No, just a restricted list of 25-50 names and duplicate account statements to compliance.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Spain led the sell off today, which is kind of funny since they officially exited the IMF bailout yesterday. I believe they're the first one over there to exit after that little melt down a few years ago.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
Me before I buy a stock:
"This is a solid company with nice earnings and cash flow, and a decent dividend to boot. The price has been beaten down a bit lately but I would easily feel comfortable holding for years, so I'll start a position now and if the price goes down more I'll average down."

Me after I buy a stock:
"Oh my god this entire industry is on the verge of a perpetual decline and I bought in right at the inflection point. How could I have been such a fool."

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Dogo posted:

Me before I buy a stock:
"This is a solid company with nice earnings and cash flow, and a decent dividend to boot. The price has been beaten down a bit lately but I would easily feel comfortable holding for years, so I'll start a position now and if the price goes down more I'll average down."

Me after I buy a stock:
"Oh my god this entire industry is on the verge of a perpetual decline and I bought in right at the inflection point. How could I have been such a fool."

Better than the other way round.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Who do you guys follow on Twitter that's financial oriented? There seems to be a real dearth compared to say sports.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Carl Icahn's tweets are always hilarious because people think he's money jesus sometimes. His tweets also inflate companies when he posts about them sometimes.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
:dance: Twitter!

https://twitter.com/zerohedge :frogbon:

I follow:
https://twitter.com/firstadopter
https://twitter.com/MicroFundy
https://twitter.com/danielhsqr
https://twitter.com/jessefelder
https://twitter.com/optionmonster

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Acquilae posted:

With the rebound at the end of the day on the S&P futures, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a one-day selloff like last week. Personally, I'd like a 2-3 day downtrend and a decent VIX spike to short.

Looks like you got your wish. VIX up to 19.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Kal Torak posted:

Looks like you got your wish. VIX up to 19.
Yeah this bull market is hard to stop; I shorted UVXY around $75 this morning (after it didn't hold the AH high from Friday) and kept telling myself "don't cover" while it spiked all the way to $84 but it's nice to see it crashing with the VIX.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Acquilae posted:

Yeah this bull market is hard to stop; I shorted UVXY around $75 this morning (after it didn't hold the AH high from Friday) and kept telling myself "don't cover" while it spiked all the way to $84 but it's nice to see it crashing with the VIX.

:haw::hf::haw:

I went short a Feb IC Thurs that was about 10 points shy of being ITM today.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
$AAPL

:iceburn:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As an AAPL shareholder... yep, sounds about right.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ughh, Apple is dragging down the S&P and Nasdaq with them too.